Jasmine and the Argonaut Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Jasmine and I came out here while you two had a sisterly reunion," says Paulo. "Jasmine told Ellen where we were going. It's hardly Jasmine's fault if Ellen didn't listen."

"Hmmph... Well... OK... I suppose," blusters Sylvie, unable to find anything wrong with what Paulo has just said. "But you two should not be together without supervision. Come on Paulo. We shall return to your dormitory."

"We were hardly unsupervised," Paulo replies. "The café proprietor was here."

Paulo seems to have quietened Sylvie's thunder. I'm still angry with her, but I will hold my wrath in check until we are somewhere more private.

"Thank you for a pleasant interlude, professor," I say as I stand up. "As you can see, we are summoned back to reality. Such are the trials of a Argonaut contestant."

"And thank you, princess, for bestowing a humble scholar with the honour of your regal company," replies Paulo in a mischievous tone.

I can't help but laugh, despite my anger with Sylvie. On impulse I lean over and kiss Paulo on the lips. I don't know whether I do it simply to annoy Sylvie, or to fuel Paulo's interest in me. Either way, my action succeeds on both counts.

"We must do this again sometime," I reply.

I don't get to hear Paulo's response. Ellen takes my arm and guides me back to my dormitory. Neither of us says anything on the journey back along the corridors. Only when we arrive at my dormitory does Ellen show her relief and delight at finding me safe.

"Well? Are you going to explain yourself?" asks Ellen firmly, but without the venom Sylvie added to her same question when I was with Paulo.

"Paulo told you what happened. You and Sylvie got into a row, so Paulo and I stepped out while you sorted out your differences. End of story."

"Not 'end of story', Jasmine. What were you and Paulo discussing?" persists Ellen.

"Ellen!" I say, barely holding my anger in check. "I appreciate your help and advice, but you are not my mother. I don't have to explain to you what I say and do with a man."

"Yes you do," replies Ellen, unmoved by my reply. "While you are here in the Argonaut complex, I am responsible for your safety. Your battle for victory doesn't start with this afternoon's television show. The Argonaut has already begun. Until you are either eliminated or declared a victor, I need to know about your every move so that I can protect you. Now, I repeat my question; what were you and Paulo discussing?"

I look at Ellen. As soon as I do, I realise that this isn't an argument I'm going to win.

"Fine! Have it your way," I sigh. "We were just talking about a make believe life and family."

"And what was the meaning of the kiss?" asks Ellen, still not willing to let the matter drop.

"It's what a man and woman do when they like each other," I reply.

"You like him!?" splutters Ellen. "In case you've forgotten, he's going to be trying to eliminate you from the Argonaut!"

"And I him," I reply. "That doesn't mean that we don't like each other. The officials can put us through all the tests their warped minds can devise, but they can't tell us who to love or hate."

"I can't believe this," sighs Ellen. "Is there anyone who can make you see sense."

"I know you think I'm obstinate and moody," I say before Ellen can begin a lecture. "You don't have to help me if you don't want. I know my chances of winning are slim, but I want live my life on my own terms. I won't think any less of you if you simply wash your hands of me."

There's a stunned silence. I've taken Ellen by surprise.

"What did I tell you?" says Vincent, who has been sitting on his bed watching our argument. "There's fire in her soul. I for one will be proud to help Jasmine if she needs me."

"Yes, me too," says Ellen. "When we are finished here I shall fetch the emeralds you liked, Jasmine. You'll knock the audience dead wearing those tonight."

"Does that mean you are allowing me a free reign to do what I want later?" I ask Ellen.

"No. Of course not. You're still a novice at the underhand games which will be played out behind the scenes this afternoon and tonight. In fact they've already begun. Doesn't it strike you as strange that Sylvie and Paulo just happened to call at to my room while you were there? Was it you or Paulo who suggested going to the café when Sylvie started arguing with me? Do you think Paulo is really interested in you, or is he simply trying to gain useful information which he can use against you?"

"Those thoughts had crossed my mind," I reply. "I agree. I don't believe Paulo's presence in your room was a coincidence. But which of us gains the upper hand as a consequence is still a game in progress."

"What do you mean, Jasmine? What game?"

"I intend to see Paulo again when I can. He may be physically stronger than me, but very few of the Argonaut's tests rely on muscle. However, when it comes to mind games, I think I am better than him. I shall find out when I next see him."

"You are playing a dangerous game, Jasmine. I advise you to abandon your quest. If you fail, Paulo and the other contestants will target you for early elimination tomorrow."

"I think my contestant profile that the Argonaut's organisers have published already marks me as a target. Paulo's appearance this morning only confirms it. My best chance is to weaken Paulo's resolve to attack me. He must either fear me or love me."

"If that is your strategy, then I salute your cunning," says Ellen. "But I still advise against it. There is very little I can do to help you."

"I don't ask for your help. All I ask is that you don't hinder my hunt."

"Very well," says Ellen. "Providing you keep me or the reception desk informed of your whereabouts. Kidnapping a contestant is a very risky tactic, but it has been tried before. Remember, if you fail to turn up for a roll-call, you will be automatically eliminated."

"How about you let Jasmine's try on her dress with the jewellery she has chosen," says Vincent. "The others will be returning soon for lunch. It will be better if you have finished the fitting before they arrive."

Ellen nods in agreement and goes to fetch the emerald jewellery I picked.

"Where is Patrick?" I ask, suddenly remembering he left the dormitory a few hours ago for a run.

"He finished early," says Vincent. "He went down to one of the private rooms to practise his interview skills."

"Is he still angry with me?" I ask.

"Angry with you? Why do you think he is angry with you?" asks Vincent.

"We travelled here together, but as soon as we arrived he suddenly didn't want anything more to do with me. Something I did must have made him do that."

"You have already identified the reason, Jasmine," says Vincent. "You said your best chance of winning is to make your rivals either fear you or love you. Paulo isn't the only man who will be competing against you."

"But why would Patrick fear me? We were getting along fine until we arrived here."

"He doesn't fear you, Jasmine," says Vincent. "Well, not much."

"Then he... oh!" I say, suddenly realising that the strange looks Patrick has been giving me had a deeper meaning than I thought.

---------------------------------------

Chapter 11: A little tenderness

---------------------------------------

I take the studio supplied dress from my wardrobe, and I quickly change into it. I'm busy admiring myself in the mirror when Ellen returns with her emerald ring, necklace and earrings. She fastens the necklace for me, and for the first time I see the combined effect of the dress with Ellen's emeralds.

"Perfect," says Ellen. I can't help but agree with her. If looks alone could see me through this afternoon's performance, then I would be home and dry. But I must still navigate my way through an interview, or make myself noticed if I'm not one of the ten contestants chosen. If I'm interviewed, I need to be eloquent and confident in my responses to the hosts' questions. Not just because I want to impress any potential employers, but because Paulo and the other contestants will be watching my every move.

"Do you think Paulo will like my outfit?" I ask Ellen.

"Paulo? Hmmm... I think you will snare him with these emeralds."

"Do you think I have a better chance if I wear that piece which belonged to your great-aunt Sophie?" I ask, remembering Paulo's reaction when he saw it. "Who was this great-aunt of yours anyway?"

"Sophie? Oh, she was a famous dancer. Her stage name was Desire. She lived a very bohemian life. My parents regarded as the black sheep of the family. But I liked her. I used to visit Sophie quite often when I was young, so I knew Sophie much better than did Sylvie or any of my other sisters. That's why Sophie left her jewellery to me when she died. The emeralds were hers as well. A gift from a man she lived with for many years."

"Have you ever worn her jewellery?" I ask.

"The emeralds, yes, but not that piece you were looking at when Sylvie intruded. I've never been in a situation where it was appropriate to wear it. It's not the sort of jewellery you wear in public places, and it takes a certain amount of confidence and practise to wear it. You do understand how it should be worn, don't you?"

"Yes. Thanks to Sylvie's demonstration, I know how it fastens," I say, giving Ellen a demonstration using my fingers to represent the spring-clips. "You would need to be wearing a thin top to stop it sliding off, though."

"Or no top at all," laughs Ellen. "But we are getting side-tracked. The others will be here soon. If we are done I suggest you change back into your regular clothes.

"Ellen, could I borrow that piece of Sophie's I saw earlier?"

"What!? There is no way you are wearing that on the television show."

"No, of course I won't. I do have some sense of propriety. But I might be able to use it to snare Paulo."

I put on my most winsome smile and Ellen finally agrees after some hesitation. She must have anticipated my request as she has the box with Sophie's piece in her bag. She hands it to me.

"You knew I was going to ask to borrow this," I say.

"I didn't know, but I suspected you might ask when you noticed Paulo's interest," smiles Ellen. "You had best try it on. You might not be able to keep it in place."

I find a thin top and change out of the dress. Fortunately Vincent has decided to go for lunch. He's harmless enough, but I think I've treated him to enough eye candy for now. Ellen hands me the jewelled piece and watches as I nervously place the discs in position. I anticipated a certain amount of discomfort from the pressure of the clips on my nipples, but the initial pain is almost unbearable. Fortunately the pain soon passes and after a short while I can only sense the weight of the piece tugging on my nipples and breasts.

"Now try walking about," says Ellen. "Try to shake it loose. We need to see whether it will stay in place."

I do as Ellen suggests and try moving into several different positions. The piece remains firmly in place, but several movements cause me to wince in pain as the weight or tension in the linking chain pulls against me. After a few minutes Ellen seems satisfied with my first attempt at wearing it.

"OK," says Ellen. "You can take the piece off."

What sounds like the simplest of tasks turns out to be the most excruciatingly painful experience I could imagine. As soon as the clips are removed, the numbness in my nipples quickly goes, and my body protests strongly. I bite my lips to prevent myself from crying out. If I fail this last test, then Ellen might not let me borrow the piece. I rub my chest gently to ease the pain, and after a while only a little tenderness remains.

"Hmmm. Do you still wish to borrow this piece?" asks Ellen as she places it back in its box.

I nod and Ellen hands me the box. I give her a hug in thanks, being careful not to aggravate my tender breasts. The sound of Patrick's voice coming from the corridor prompts me to finish changing and join the others for lunch.

By the time Ellen and I join them, nearly all the contestants are in the dining area and are already eating at the table. Ellen and I go over to the side table where the buffet is laid out, and we select some food. Patrick looks at me as I sit down opposite him, but he doesn't say anything. After Vincent's revelation earlier about Patrick's feelings towards me, I'm not certain what to say to Patrick.

"Were there many contestants in the practise rooms this morning?" I ask Patrick, more to make him to talk to me than any real interest in the movements of the other contestants.

"Um... No. I was alone for most of the time. Paulo joined me for a while, but a woman called him away. When he returned he looked like a cat who had fallen into a bowl of cream."

I immediately realise the importance of what Patrick is saying about Paulo, but it is Ellen who quizzes Patrick for more details. By the time he's done, I have no doubt that Sylvie was the woman Patrick saw, and Paulo was summoned to gather information from me while I was in Effie's room. A very slick operation, but one which may still end in my favour.

When we arrived in the Argonaut complex yesterday, Patrick and I gobbled our food down in case it disappeared before our hunger was satisfied. Both of us come from poor families where meals can be irregular. Today we eat at a more leisurely pace. We would have time for a pleasant conversation if Patrick showed any inclination to talk. He simply eats in silence, although his eyes rarely leave me. After a while his gawking starts to annoy me. I'm about to say something rude when Ellen puts her hand on my arm.

"Perhaps if you stopped rubbing your breasts, Patrick wouldn't stare at them so, Jasmine," whispers Ellen in my ear.

I drop my hands in a flash and suddenly feel awkward. The tenderness hasn't quite worn off, and I must have been trying to sooth my breasts without thinking about what I was doing. From Patrick's reaction he must have heard Ellen's words and I don't know which of us is the more embarrassed.

"Er... Sorry, Patrick," I say. "Ellen and I were trying on some jewellery and one of the pieces is quite heavy. I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable."

"Um... that's OK. I didn't mean to stare. That's a nice ring, by the way."

I suddenly realise I've left the emerald ring on my finger. In my haste to get changed I forgot to take it off and return it to Ellen. Fortunately Ellen doesn't seem to mind.

"Yes, it's an emerald," I reply. "Ellen has been kind enough to let me borrow it for the television show this afternoon."

"Well you will look a very fine lady when you walk up onto the stage," says Patrick.

"Actually, I'm not going for the fine lady look. I think the warrior princess style is more appropriate for me. What do you think?"

"I don't know," replies Patrick. "Harper said that sponsors might be put off from helping us if they think that you are...".

"That will do, Patrick," says Harper, who is sat further down the table, but listening to our conversation. "Once we have finished lunch, Jasmine and I will have our discussion about how she should handle herself during the show."

Harper's interruption stifles any further conversation, and we finish lunch in silence. After lunch, Patrick and Ellen leave on different missions. I'm left alone with Harper.

"So," I begin. "Are you going to tell me what you told Patrick?"

"No," replies Harper. "I told Patrick what he needs to know and believe. Which isn't necessarily the same thing that you need to know and believe. You and Patrick are very different people when it comes to handling interviews. Patrick has a natural gift that makes people instantly like him. You, on the other hand, have a knack of annoying and confusing people. I know you confuse me. You scowl at people you should please, and flash your eyelids at people you should avoid. Tell me how you think you should portray yourself this afternoon."

"I thought your role is to tell me," I reply. "I've no idea. I know I hate trying to read from a script."

"Which is why I don't think anything we rehearse here is going to help you. You are at your best when you are being spontaneous. My only advice to you is to remember that you need to attract potential employers; and you must..."

Harper lists a dozen or so pieces of advice, most which I forget as soon as he has said them.

"Now what?" I ask when Harper has finished his speech.

"You have an hour before you need to get changed for this afternoon's charade," says Harper. "Why don't you go for a walk."

---------------------------------------

Chapter 12: Sabotage

---------------------------------------

I return from my walk a few minutes late to find Harper, Ellen, Patrick, Vincent, and two other of my room-mates in the middle of what I can only describe as a crisis meeting. At first I think the crisis is somehow my fault.

"I told you where I was going," I say before anyone can accuse me of doing a disappearing act.

"Yes, we know," says Harper. "Ellen wanted to fetch you, but we thought we had better come up with a solution before we told you. But you're here now anyway."

"So what's the problem?" I ask, relieved that for once that I'm not the cause of the crisis.

"It appears a maintenance man called while we were having lunch to fix a problem with your wardrobe door," says Vincent.

"But there's nothing wrong with my wardrobe door," I say, assuming they mean the well-worn, but still functional, cupboard I've been assigned to store my things.

"So what happened?" I ask.

"Sabotage!" says Ellen. "The maintenance man tampered with your dress for tonight."

I look at Harper for an explanation.

"A chemical has been sprayed onto your dress," says Harper. "We're having it analysed. It is likely an irritant or mild poison. Nothing that would be noticeable to anyone picking up your dress, but powerful enough to cause the wearer a few problems after a short while. It was lucky I was suspicious when the security staff told me about the visitor."

"Can the chemical be removed?" asks Ellen.

"Probably, once we identify it. But that would take too long. We have less than an hour before Jasmine must go across to the studio."

"I'll fetch some of my dresses," says Ellen. "Perhaps one might fit Jasmine with only minimal alterations."

While I appreciate Ellen's offer of help, her taste in clothes is very different from mine. I'd rather wear my own dress... the one I was wearing when I arrived here. But that would be only as a last resort. I decide to take matters into my own hands.

"Ellen, thank you for your offer of help," I say. "This is what I would like you to bring."

I give Ellen a short list of things I know she has in her room. If she thinks my request strange, she has the decency to refrain from voicing her opinion aloud. She doesn't hesitate and goes off to her room to fetch what I requested. I turn to the other contestants in my dormitory.

"Thank you all for your help, but I can manage with Harper and Ellen's assistance from here," I say. "You had best go and get ready yourself. Most of you are in the batches of contestants before mine, so you probably need to go soon."

The others seem relieved and nod in agreement. They have wasted precious time dealing with a problem that shouldn't have involved them in the first place. By the time Ellen returns, my room-mates have changed their clothes and left for the studio. My dress is still on the hanger where I left it. A slight stain on the wardrobe wall around it could be residue from the chemical spray.

"That stain is what alerted me to the problem," says Harper. "We've checked around for other unwelcome additions. The maintenance man was only here for a few minutes, so he won't have had time to do much. I think it is likely he was sent specifically to sabotage your dress for tonight. Once we've identified the chemical I'll have the rest of your clothes and bedding checked."