Jasper's Education Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She was also a goddamn good cook. He'd been expecting nothing fancier than sandwiches for lunch, but she regularly brought up delicious creations, both hot and cold, and she had a penchant for healthy cooking, which he appreciated. Even a sandwich was never just a sandwich with her; it was a gourmet experience.

All in all, he was pleased.

But he wasn't quite satisfied.

At 11:45 a.m. on that third Saturday, Jasper tossed her pen down and stretched. Jonah watched her from the corner of his eye. She ran her hands through her hair and sat up straighter, trying to shake off her sleepiness and put in a productive last fifteen minutes.

Jonah straightened from his own pile of papers with a sigh. "You want a drink?"

She started to stand. "Sure."

"No." Jonah gestured her back into her seat and got up himself, moving over to the sidebar. "I mean a drink." He poured two glasses of scotch and carried one over to her.

She eyed it uncertainly.

"Have you never had alcohol before?"

"Yeah, just... beer or wine coolers."

"You did just finish your sophomore year of college, yes?"

She gave him a dry look. "There's not a lot of time for partying in the Carter program. I spend all my free time studying."

"Sounds fantastic. Listen, here's the thing. I have a social event tomorrow."

"A social event?" she repeated, a slight mocking edge to her voice.

"Check your attitude," he said, amused. "Yes, a social event. A garden party, to be specific. It's good for networking, I need to go. And you're coming with me."

Jasper's brows went up. "Me? Why?"

"Because I need to take a date but I don't want to take a date."

She gave him an amused, incredulous look. "You want to Pretty Woman me?"

Jonah rolled his eyes. "Calm down. I'm not offering you money and you're not a prostitute."

"Will I get fired if I refuse to go?"

"Yes."

"Then it's a thin line, isn't it? If it's part of my job and I can't say no, then you are technically paying me to go and that does, technically, in a way, make me a prostitute. An escort at least."

Jonah studied her coolly. Though her tone and expression were serious, there was a glitter in her eyes that told him she was fucking with him. Which pleased him, because it meant she'd picked up on his sense of humor. A lot of people didn't. She wasn't expecting him to laugh and he didn't, but some silent communication between them told her that her joke had hit its mark, and Jonah very much liked that a rapport had built between them without either of them trying.

"Past, present, and potential future clients will be there. City officials and judges will be there. I need to network, and I don't want to take someone who will require attention and flattery. I also don't want to go alone and endure everyone trying to set me up with some gold-digging relative. You're coming. You'll put on a dress, you'll smile and hang on my arm and pretend to enjoy my company, and then we'll come home and never speak of it again."

"It sounds absolutely lovely, but I highly doubt I have anything appropriate to wear."

"Just wear a dress."

"I don't have one."

"You don't own a dress?"

"Not currently, no."

Sighing, Jonah pulled his wallet out, slid out a credit card and tossed it at her. She watched it land on the floor. "I'm going to assume you're not overly familiar with how any of this works, and I need you to look the part, so take my card, go into town in the morning, and let a professional handle your hair and makeup. Get your nails done while you're at it. Buy a dress. A nice one. And meet me back here at three."

"I have my own money."

"Not enough to afford the kind of outfit you're going to need to fit in at this party."

Jasper made a face as she looked down at the card. "You're really going to make me do this?"

"I really am."

Looking up, she narrowed her eyes at him. "Surely you have the numbers of a dozen women who would be thrilled to tag along with you to a function like this."

Oh, he liked that. The alcohol was already putting a flush in her cheeks, and her comment implied that he was attractive -- which meant she found him attractive. Not that he'd been under any illusion that she didn't. "Yes, and they'd all expect me to pay attention to them. Give them compliments, listen when they talked, call them the next day, etc. I just want you to stand there and smile. Nothing more. Fill a slot so that I don't have to answer questions about why I'm there alone and do I want to meet their wife's cousin who just got divorced for the third time."

"Fill a slot, eh?" She drained her glass and set it down. "How could I possibly resist such a charming invitation." She bent to pick up the card, and he couldn't help admiring her firm, round ass as she did. "Sounds like tomorrow's going to be a long day. I'm going to go take a nap."

More than anything, he wanted to follow her to her room, plunge his hands into those inky curls, bend her over the bed, and fuck her relentlessly.

Instead, he sat down and got back to work.

*

Not knowing how long things would take at the salon, Jasper went into town early the next morning and was there a few minutes after they opened. The girl behind the counter smiled pleasantly, but her eyes took on a sharp curiosity when Jasper handed her Jonah's credit card. They flicked over to the window, eying the car parked outside; Jasper had driven Jonah's Audi. In such a small town, she had no doubt everyone knew who it belonged to.

The girl's smile ratcheted up a notch. "So, the works then?"

"I suppose so."

The works turned out to include a manicure, pedicure, facial, eyebrow threading, haircut and style, and makeup. They took several inches off her hair, which hadn't had a good trim in ages. The thick mass of big, loose curls went from nearly reaching her waist to only reaching just below her shoulder blades. The stylist layered it expertly and gave it a deep conditioning treatment, so that the curls felt like satin.

"I'm not even going to style this," she said, running her fingers through it. "Maybe just a little product. It's so gorgeous. I would kill for hair like this. Have you ever thought about highlights?"

"Yeah, but I'd never keep up with them," Jasper admitted. She'd always been a tomboy and even when she could afford it (which was extremely rare), she'd never regularly gotten manicures or dyed her hair. The upkeep always seemed like too much trouble.

The last touch was her makeup. When the artist was done, Jasper studied her face in the mirror for a long time, awed. "I'm positive I've never looked this good before."

"With a little practice, you could do this at home," the artist said encouragingly. "I have a YouTube channel; I do tutorials."

Jasper got the name of it and promised to look it up, knowing she never would. As much as she appreciated the effect, the time and energy required to put on a full face of makeup every day seemed insurmountably exhausting to her.

From the salon, Jasper walked just a block down to one of the clothing boutiques. There were no department stores in this town; they were all pricey little boutiques that looked as though they didn't have enough merchandise to stay in business.

The salesperson who greeted her was a thin-lipped, flinty-eyed, middle-aged woman who sized her up with a critical gaze and then said, "The Mitchell garden party?"

"I... I'm not sure, but I guess so." How many garden parties could there be in this town on one day?

"Very well. Follow me."

Without even asking what she wanted or liked, the saleswoman -- whose name tag said Marjory -- led her to a dressing room and began handing her dresses. Jasper modeled them for her, feeling awkward while enduring Marjory's pitiless inspections. "No, not that one. No, that color is all wrong. No, we can find something that fits you better. That's nice, but it's not quite right. Too formal. Ugh, too yellow."

Finally, they found one that Marjory approved of. It was a halter style maxi dress with an asymmetrical hem that left Jasper's back pretty much bare except for the thin, braided straps. It was a rich, lovely shade of orange. The cut was simple, but it draped beautifully, and Jasper liked the way the fabric swirled around her legs when she walked. Marjory picked out a pair of flat sandals -- "You don't want heels at a garden party; you'll sink into the dirt with every step" -- along with dangling silver earrings, several slim silver bangles, and a beautiful citrine ring. Jasper protested at the jewelry, thinking it was unnecessary and not wanting to spend too much, but Marjory cut her off with a brisk: "If he sent you out to get done up, he wants you done up all the way. This is not a sorority party, dear. Let me do my job, please."

Jasper mutely handed over the credit card. Though her eyes widened at the total, she signed the receipt, thanked Marjory, and headed back to the house.

Jonah was waiting in the foyer when she returned. He glanced at his watch, on the verge of snapping at her about how close she was cutting it, but when he actually looked up at her, the words died in his throat. For a long moment he said nothing, his eyes traveling slowly down her frame and back up.

"Does it meet with your approval?" she asked, going for sarcasm but betrayed as usual by her blush.

She looked stunning. Absolutely stunning. The dress hugged her lean, toned body perfectly, gave tantalizing glimpses of her firm, shapely legs when she walked, and best of all, left her back bare. Her hair was a glossy, gorgeous mane of soft curls tumbling down and around her shoulders. But most of all, he loved the makeup. She was gorgeous without it, but with it... they'd done a fantastic job with her eyes, making them stand out dramatically without overdoing it. Her lips were a rich, glossy color, precisely lined and filled in. They were so perfect he wanted to lick them.

He realized he was still staring without having said anything. "Yes," he said shortly. "I approve. Let's go."

Not that he'd asked, but Jasper approved of his outfit as well. He was wearing a light gray linen suit over a dark gray t-shirt. They fit his tall, broad-shouldered, muscular frame exquisitely, the thin, soft material of the t-shirt clinging lightly to the hard planes of his body. He was freshly showered and shaved, his blonde hair gleaming, and he smelled fantastic. She noticed a slim silver chain around his neck, most of it hidden beneath the shirt, and for some reason that sent a throb of desire through her.

The blush that wouldn't leave her cheeks wasn't lost on Jonah, though he pretended not to notice. He opened the car door for her, inhaling her soft, clean scent as she brushed by him. He didn't think she wore perfume, but whatever lotion or soap she used, it had a subtle, intoxicating scent, and her hair always smelled faintly of honeysuckle. He took his time walking around the car to the driver's seat, willing his body to behave.

As they drove, he filled her in briefly on the host and guest list.

"This is the mayor's party?" she asked, surprised and a little nervous.

"You're going to be fine," Jonah reassured her, amused. "None of these people bite, and in those clothes, you look like a respectable person."

"Thanks," she deadpanned, glancing at him.

"You know what I meant. Their idea of a respectable person."

"My 'thanks' stands."

Jonah bit back a smile.

When they arrived at the house, Jasper tried not to gape. It was a proper mansion, sitting on an enormous manicured lawn, and there was valet service. Behind the house, several large white tents had been set up. There were waiters carrying trays of food and drinks, and a string quartet off to one side playing quietly. Everyone was dressed in expensive suits and dresses, the women dripping with jewels, each one looking as though they were about to step into a photo shoot. Jasper felt a hand touch hers and started.

"Try to act as though you're not repulsed by me," Jonah murmured, lacing their fingers together.

Jasper shot him an incredulous and ever so slightly irritated look. She doubted anyone had ever found Jonah repulsive, and he surely knew that. The warmth from his hand seemed to be traveling all through her body, and pooling low in her stomach. Her cheeks heated up again. It was exasperating that she couldn't control her physical reactions to him, and she was uncomfortably suspicious that he knew damn good and well the effect he had on her.

A round, red-faced, beaming man hurried up to them as they approached the crowd. "Jonah! I'm so glad you could make it! Welcome, welcome. And who is this?" He grinned at Jasper.

"Walter, this is Jasper Mason. Jasper, this is Walter Mitchell, our host."

Jasper shook his hand and smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Mitchell."

He grasped her hand with both of his. "Please, call me Walter! It's so good to meet you. If you'll excuse me, I have to greet the rest of the guests. Please, enjoy, and let me know if you need anything at all!"

"That man is exceptionally cheerful," Jasper murmured, watching him hurry off.

"No kidding." Jonah took a deep breath. "Brace yourself, kid." And he led her forward into the milling crowd.

It was a long, incredibly boring afternoon. Jasper stood patiently at Jonah's side, smiling and nodding, speaking when spoken to, but mostly just doing her job of being arm candy. Jonah either held her hand or kept his arm lightly about her waist the entire time, and she was rather glad about it. She felt shy and self-conscious, and didn't really know how to talk to anyone. She could feel all the eyes on her, and wasn't sure if she was imagining it or they were all actually whispering about her.

"Of course they are," Jonah replied when she timidly asked. "This is a small town, everyone knows everyone. Any new face is cause for gossip, but you're young, beautiful, and here with me, so they're dying of curiosity." Impulsively, he kissed her hand, just for the reaction. She glanced up at him, mildly startled, but smiled, playing along. "Here, have another glass of wine." He snatched one off a passing tray. "That'll help."

After a while, Jasper grew hungry and moved away from Jonah to browse one of the buffet tables. Distracted from the conversation, he watched her go, mildly annoyed that she'd left his side.

She turned from a plate of tiny sandwiches to find herself boxed in by three smiling women.

"Hello," she said uncertainly.

"Well hello there," one of them said sweetly. She had an impeccable shoulder-length bob and very white teeth. The diamond on her left hand was colossal. "I'm Mary Beth. And your name is... Jasper, I hear?"

"Yes. Jasper Mason. It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise, dear. This is Vivienne, and Louise."

Jasper nodded politely to each of the women.

"So, you're here with Jonah Parker," Vivienne said. "That's interesting. Where did you two meet?"

It hadn't occurred to Jasper that she'd be questioned about her and Jonah's fake relationship. Assuming that Jonah didn't want her to tell anyone that she was his employee, she thought up a quick lie. "In a coffee shop, actually. It was completely random."

"Oh? Here in Quincy?" Louise inquired.

"No, in the city. I go to NYU."

"How nice," Mary Beth said. "What are you studying?"

"Oh, who cares about that," Vivienne said, lowering her voice conspiratorially. "What's he like in bed?"

Jasper's features softened in shock.

"Vivienne!" Mary Beth cried, mock scandalized.

"It's what we're all wondering," Vivienne said, rolling her eyes. She leaned in towards Jasper, a malicious light in her eyes. "You can tell us. Does he give you frostbite in all the right places?"

The women laughed.

Jasper stared at her for a moment or two, then said with a deadpan delivery, "I would describe him as distant, but thorough."

The brief silence was broken by male laughter. For a moment Jasper was afraid Jonah had overhead her, but when she turned, she saw a painfully handsome man with black hair and eyes and a killer smile framed by dimples.

"Who are we ripping to shreds today, ladies?" he asked as he joined the small group.

"Josh," Mary Beth said with a wide smile, twining herself around his arm. "Come meet the flavor of the week."

One eyebrow rose. "Beg your pardon?"

"This," Mary Beth gestured, "is Jasper Mason. She's Jonah's date."

That cheerful, charming smile changed, becoming something sharper. His obsidian eyes were suddenly drilling into Jasper with uncomfortable intensity. "You're here with Jonah Parker?"

"Yes." Jasper didn't know what else to say. She wasn't sure what was happening, but it didn't seem friendly.

Josh's smile grew. "So, it was Jonah you were describing just now?"

Jasper's cheeks burst into flame. "I didn't... It was an off-the-cuff response to an inappropriate question. I shouldn't have said it. It's not true. I mean, I wouldn't know if it was true." Shut up shut up shut up.

Josh laughed, oddly delighted. "Allow me to rescue you."

Before she could protest, he put an arm around her shoulders and drew her away from the other women. Despite the fact that seconds before she had felt attacked by them, Jasper couldn't help glancing back over her shoulder. There was no help coming from that quarter, though. They closed ranks, whispering furiously and darting glances at her.

"Don't worry," Josh said with a chuckle, releasing her. "I just wanted to get you away from them. You seemed uncomfortable."

"Is it always like this?" Jasper asked, unable to contain her frustration anymore.

"Without knowing exactly what you're referring to, I'm going to say yes. These parties are uniformly awful, but believe it or not, there are actually some nice people here. I could introduce you, if you like. I'd hate for you to leave here thinking we're all like that." He gave her a sideways glance. "But I have to admit, I enjoyed the way you handled them."

Jasper made a face. "It was probably the wrong thing to do. I'm supposed to be playing nice."

"Were those Jonah's instructions?"

"More or less. How do you know him, anyway?"

"I have the great pleasure of running a law firm with him."

Jasper stopped, turning to look up at him with surprise. "You're Josh Pierce."

"Ah, so my name has come up."

"Only in passing. I mean, it's kind of difficult to miss that the name of his firm is Parker & Pierce."

"Nothing else?" he inquired casually, and she gave him a considering look.

"No. Should there be?"

He smiled. "There will be, I'm sure." He was strolling along at a slow pace, and she matched it without thinking. "How did you meet?"

"Randomly. We ran into each other in a coffee shop near campus in the city."

Josh didn't buy that for an instant. Jonah hated coffee shops and he had no reason to be near campus. "You go to NYU?"

"Yes."

"What are you studying?"

"I'm in the Carter program."

Josh looked at her so quickly that she stopped again, frowning.

"What? You've heard of it?"

"Of course I have." Josh couldn't help laughing. "Is that how Jonah found you? Pawing through applications for cute co-eds seems a bit unethical. Not to mention desperate."

Her frown deepened. "What do you mean?"

Studying her, his expression turned a bit incredulous. "Are you kidding? You don't know?"

"Know what?"

Now he looked downright gleeful. "Are you seriously telling me that you don't know that Jonah's mother is Lydia Carter?"

For a moment, her expression remained blank. He watched the realization blossom in her eyes and spread across her face until her lips parted.

Incredibly lush, perfectly shaped lips. Jonah had always had high standards, but this one was a crippling beauty. And awfully young.