All Comments on 'Jax Brightsteel: Sword for Hire Ch. 03'

by schreckdog

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
Ww_OwWw_Owalmost 10 years ago
Some issues here with the chapters

1: Chapters are too short.

2: As both a DM and a person who used to do living history you have a few issues here. First goblins have a good sense of smell so hes going to have to approach upwind. This means in order to smell freshly killed (within 24 hours) animals (which were probably eaten by the goblins) he is within 100 feet. A helmet shot from a longbow would probably have snapped the goblins neck. Even if it didnt it certainly would have knocked it out. If hes using a bodkin arrow (which because of the way you stated it pulled it out it seems that way) they are meant to penetrate armor. Its what they were designed for, Meaning from that range the arrow (mind you most longbows at the time were 80lb draw or more) would have knocked something "the size of a 10 year old child" to the ground with a shoulder shot and have buried itself halfway to the fletchings. Unless it is high end chainmail it wasnt both welded and riveted,meaning the rings will be separated rather easily by a bodkin arrowhead. And raiding party leaders arent going to have that high end of chainmail.

3:Missing a shot at 100 feet for a person who makes their living as a sellsword and is a veteran at such with training? Not going to happen unless he has really never used a bow before (which of course is a tad silly since its extra gear that he could sell since bows werent cheap and fill both his pouch and his belly) and most people used bows to hunt for food.

A good premise but I really think you need to read up on your subject matter.Remember the 30 lb longbows you see today were childrens bows when they were the common ranged weapon of the time. And if it was a composite bow,it would have penetrated even further.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
I AGREE

WW_OW IS RIGHT STORY IS GREAT BUT TO SHORT AND SOME DETAILS ARE "IFFIE" . BUT PLEASE DO NOT LET US STOP YOU ALL TO IT OWN. AND I LOVE THIS STORY LINE ."KEEPA GOWIN"

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous