Jebidiah's Change Bk. 01 Ch. 04

Story Info
Danger near. Consequences and love requited.
8.2k words
4.81
2.5k
2

Part 5 of the 16 part series

Updated 03/20/2024
Created 12/09/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Lathanar1
Lathanar1
129 Followers

Welcome back gentle reader

Someone was kind enough to point out that my plan for 45 chapters to complete a book is a lot of words. Through the first seven chapters that are finished I'm averaging just under 9,000 which would put me at over 400,000 total words. That is three rather thick fantasy novels, so Book 1 will end at chapter 15 and I will abuse the three act scenario all the 'How to write a book' resources talk about. I definitely won't have everyone introduced in time. We'll see how it goes.

I am also attempting to restructure and republish the first three chapters to make the timeline changes less confusing.

Once again the standard disclaimer, multiply ages by roughly two to get equivalent Earth ages. Everyone is a consenting adult.

-- Chapter 4: Tonstar Lower Keep --

-- Fourth Day, Fourth Tenday of Antaen 813 AGR --

"Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."

- Gooden

Jebidiah dashed down the hallway in the opposite direction from the ambiguous figure and glowing blade. It was not a panicked run, but he was having trouble keeping his fear in check. It did not help that the direction his instincts chose to flee toward led deeper into the darkness instead of the faint light he noticed before. Normally his instincts worked out for the best so he did not try to second-guess and backtrack toward the light.

When presented with a problem, his brain did what it always did. He started to make a list, categorizing larger issues into smaller ones to tackle. He was deep in the Keep, not sure where he was, where he was going, who was nearby, nobody knew he was down here, no idea how many pursuers there were, who they were, why they were pursuing him, or if they even meant him harm. He could always stop running to find out their intent, but that took away all other options, and he pushed that down to Plan K or L. Finding someone nearby to help seemed the best Plan A, followed closely by losing his pursuer as Plan B.

His path through the darkened hallways was not a blind escape attempt. The weird red hue he had been noticing on the hallway floors illuminated his way enough to avoid running into the walls and anticipate turns. He rounded a turn and found a flight of stairs, taking them two at a time, to step up into the lighted hallway of the floor above. Still not seeing any help, he chose to turn to the right and keep running to search for anyone else.

There was another flash of green and the wall globes darkened again. He slowed until his vision readjusted to the darkness and red haze on the floors then increased his speed to a full run. Something felt different within him. His adrenaline levels were pumping, and his blood pressure pulsed in his head, but he felt calm. His instincts felt more like decisions than guesses. He took turns by using his momentum to bounce off walls, which hurt but kept his speed. It was on one such turn that he bounced off the wall and collided with something. Both Jebidiah and what he collided with grunted from the impact.

Jebidiah was no small man. His orc Change translated to a large frame and increased muscle mass pushing his weight over 20 stone without being pudgy. The person he collided with felt every ounce of that weight, flying backward to slide along the floor with a small clatter. On the other end, the collision brought Jebidiah to a stop, allowing him to keep his balance. He saw a hazy gray shape of a person crumpled before him and the green glow in the shape of a blade against the wall to the left. Blade. Enemy. Blade. Enemy. His brain made its choice, and he stooped to try and grab the front of the figure.

At this range, even in darkness, Jebidiah expected to use the gray haze of light to get an idea of who he was dealing with, but he saw right through the haze to the dull red glow from the floor. He made to grab what should be the front of his opponent's tunic and instead felt the supple swell of leather. Running his hand up the leather toward the region of their head, he found an edge to grab at the neckline, lifting them into the air with one hand. Whoever they were, they were short and light. He easily held them a foot off the floor as they regained their senses and began struggling, grabbing the arm he held them by. Instincts kicked in once again, and Jebidiah simply punched them in the face.

With the mysterious figure now limp, he tossed them over his left shoulder. Leaning down, he grabbed the sword on the floor with his sword hand and took off once again though at a slower pace. Now that blind luck had provided a captive he needed to be more cautious in his movements. Reaching another set of stairs, he ascended into light once more and cast his gaze about. This time he spotted a pair of people walking away from him down the corridor. He jogged toward them yelling for their attention.

When they turned he saw it was a pair of women in dresses. They stopped to stare at his approach, looked down at the sword in his hand, screamed and ran off. For some reason, this really amused Jebidiah, and he suppressed a chuckle. He quickened his pace in the direction the women went, hoping they were going to find help.

They had disappeared around yet another turn in the maze of rooms and hallways, but he could still hear their cries for help. After a few more turns, their cries turned into excited sounds. Turning a corner, Jebidiah saw the women talking to a guard and pointing in his direction. Sighing with relief, Jeb transferred the sword to his left hand and raised his right as a sign of peace. The guard drew his sword, holding it en garde before him, and walked toward Jebidiah. "You! Drop your weapon and state your purpose!"

Jebidiah complied and dropped the sword on the floor. "I am in need of aid. I was attacked on the lower levels." Jebidiah pointed to his shoulder and continued, "I have a captured one here. I need to get to the Captain of the Guard, Master Standing, or Her Highness Princess Stephanie, preferably all three."

The guard stopped just out of arm's reach but within his weapon's reach. "There are no attackers in the Keep. One captured where? I see now you are young. If this is some sort of jest, it is sorely lacking. Any more of this nonsense, and we'll see how time in one of the lower cells changes your idea of fun."

Jebidiah was a little taken aback. Pointing to his shoulder, he said, "How is this a jest? I did not knock them out for fun."

The guard looked quizzically at Jebidiah's face, then his shoulder, and back to Jebidiah. "Are you daft then? Is that what's going on?"

Jebidiah lowered his burden to the floor, the guard stepping back several steps in surprised consternation. When Jebidiah looked down to point at the person where they lay, his words caught in his throat. In the light, he could not see them, only the grayish outline that still coated the figure. He leaned down and poked the person to confirm his mind still worked correctly. Feeling more confident, he shook them some. A small groan escaped from their mouth, and the guard exclaimed, "By the Divines!" He sheathed his sword then knelt down to feel himself. "They're invisible."

Another guard had arrived and joined them in examining the prone figure. The guards felt around to find arms then lifted the person up between them, easily supporting the weight. "Perhaps if I continued to carry them?" Jebidiah asked. The first guard considered then nodded consent since it would allow him to use his sword if needed. Jebidiah resumed carrying the unconscious person while the second guard retrieved the dropped sword. The pair led Jebidiah away, a guard in the lead and the other trailing behind him.

After several flights of stairs, they reached a large guard station lined with cells along the back wall. Following the guard's orders, Jebidiah dropped off his burden on one of the cell cots. Another guard came to shut and lock the cell after him. "Please have a seat. We need to sort this out," yet another guard told Jebidiah. He sat, and with nothing else happening, both his adrenaline and calm state evaporated. His hands began to shake, his stomach tried to turn. He closed his eyes, leaned back in his chair to fight the renewed nausea, willing his nerves to become calm again. He felt an unusual serenity radiate out from somewhere in the core of his being. It was a new feeling, and he wasn't sure how he conjured it. Marveling at the feeling of peace, he failed to notice when resting his eyes lapsed into sleep.

His nap was interrupted when Master Standing roused him to wakefulness. "Young Jebidiah, I take it that unusual happenings will be the hallmark of your stay with us? If your head is clear enough, why don't you tell us what happened since I set you on your task this morning."

Jebidiah had woken from his nap feeling very refreshed. He noticed two people he did not recognize behind Standing along with several more guards in attendance. With a sense of déjà vu, he recounted his day followed by his flight and fight finishing with his encounter with the guards. This time his tale was incomplete. Instinct warned him to omit the color tints and hues he experienced. "Captain," Standing said, "let us see what our guest has to say."

An irritated guard leaning against a nearby wall with an equally agitated voice said, "I don't see what the Artificers have to do with this. I acknowledge your station, but this is an internal security matter. I've given leeway so far because I would ask him the same questions and figured he would be more open to you, but this is not your investigation."

Master Standing regarded the Captain. Jebidiah could literally see the range of responses on his face as he ran through what he really wanted to say. Instead, he simply stated, "This young man is Jebidiah Overton."

The Captain sighed and looked down at his feet as if searching for something. "I see." Looking back up like he found what it was he continued, "let's get cracking then. Magister, if you would do the honors." He waved to the locked cell.

One of the newcomers walked over to the cell door, speaking an incantation while waving his hands. Jebidiah could see the wizard's hand slowly turn greenish. When the spell was complete, a green tint covered the gray hue still outlining the sleeping form on the cot. The colors vanished revealing a female halfling in leather armor. "Did you just dispel his invisibility?" Jebidiah tried to ask the question with some awe in his voice. He wasn't awed, he just needed to confirm something that had popped into his head.

"Yes," said Standing. "Our guest was set up for stealth, most likely for your abduction or assassination. They definitely had help which means..."

"There's been a large security breach and we may still have intruders," finished the Captain. "Sergeant, set up level three scryers at the entrances. Lieutenants, start floor sweeps. Every room. Start at level 1 and work your way down. I want the entire complex swept in the next two hours." In quick order five of the guards left the room to carry out their orders.

Jebidiah's mind was racing now. He was almost in information overload as scenarios began to play out in his head. He asked Standing, "Why is it assumed there were others? When I ran I acted as if there were more than one but that was so I wouldn't be caught off-guard if it was true."

"The page that came to you was an illusion. Too strong of magic to be a glamor," said Standing in answer. The Magister picked up his line of thought, "A damned strong illusion to interact and lead you that far astray. More likely it was someone else under that illusion, possibly her," indicating the cell behind him. "It is not too unusual for a Halfling to have more than one Talent and an illusionist rogue is a standard archetype but the dispelling of the light globes is abjuration. Different ball of wax. I have several sages relighting the ones you told us of. Initial reports are they were dispelled in a wide area; stronger magic was needed to take out as many as you described. Then there's the halfling's blade. It's enchanted with Sharpness. Not a cheap piece of equipment. All of this took planning and resources."

"What will happen with her?" Jeb asked, glancing into the cell. Like all Halflings, she looked like a young child. Really not too different from Joy. One side of her face was starting to darken into a nasty bruise from where his fist had hit.

"She's going into interrogation as soon as you are moved," answered Master Standing. "Moved?" Jebidiah asked.

As if summoned, a squad of four guards and another wizard entered the guard station. "What detail are you with?" the Captain asked the newcomers.

Standing turned to the Captain, then back to Jebidiah. "I sent for them, Captain Irons. Jebidiah, these men will take you to your new quarters."

Things were moving too fast for Jebidiah's liking. "A security detail? New quarters? I didn't even have old quarters."

Master Standing chuckled at that. "You did, I just had not had the time to send you to them after your discharge from the infirmary. Because of this attack security has to be tightened for your pod, especially for you. Your pod will now be housed together in one of the secure diplomatic dormitories away from normal foot traffic until you can be sequestered to the Academy. Please follow the Lieutenant here. Princess Stephanie sent me a warning she would be visiting you soon."

Thankfully the trip back to his new quarters was uneventful. His security detail led him to a secluded section of one of the upper floors where they reached a door flanked by two more guards. His escort answered the posted guard's challenge and they all entered into a room containing a couple of tables, chairs, and some cots. Several more guards were inside relaxing along with a wizard. Another pair of guards stood at yet another door on the opposite side of the room. Jebidiah, growing more accustomed to seeing the odd hazes around some objects and people, noticed this second doorway was a mixture of colors he could not separate.

Once everyone was inside the room, the head of his escort politely explained, "This room is the outer guard room. We will be stationed here. If you require moving through the Keep, please inform us and we will provide an escort. If you would please, join the others through the other door."

Jebidiah nodded to the guards in the back of the room, and one opened the door for him. "Good evening, Master." The honorific from the guard took Jebidiah by surprise as he quickly ducked into the next room.

This new room was quite large. There were several couches set around reading tables along with comfortable-looking upholstered chairs. Behind this general seating area, he saw a large table with benches on each side for dining and privacy screens set up behind as a makeshift wall. His entire pod was in the room along with Princess Stephanie. His entire pod.

Seated on one of the couches were Dana and Joy, who were trying to console Crystal, seated between them with her head hung down. On another couch was Henna, now a female dwarf, with Polly and Tenner in animated conversation, hands and arms waving wildly to punctuate their words. Stern and Charlene stood to the side deep in conversation. Stephanie rested in one of the high-backed chairs talking to a wizard Jebidiah had not met beside her.

Jebidiah, following what etiquette he knew, greeted the Princess first with a "Good evening Your Highness." She acknowledged him with a nod and a smile. He turned his attention back to Crystal, who looked as he remembered with white-streaked green hair only this time she was fully clothed. It was difficult to tell, but he got the impression she had been crying from the way her cheeks flushed along with puffy bags under her eyes. The last he had seen her, her eyes were glowing, leaving him unsure what normal goblin Crystal face looked like. She kept glancing up at him but otherwise kept her eyes cast down and sat stoop-shouldered. He couldn't tell if she was apprehensive, depressed, or afraid.

Word must have reached everyone of what happened. They all sat or stood looking at Jebidiah waiting to see what he did next and it made him nervous. He followed his instincts once again and walked over to where Crystal sat. He knelt down on a knee to get eye level with her smaller body, and she shrank into herself even further, tucking her face into her shoulder. Jebidiah hooked a finger under her chin, gently maneuvering her head to face him. Finally, she gave in and raised her bleary eyes to meet his. His heart wrenched at the look he saw in them, fear. He brought his other hand up to rub away a newly formed tear then gently palmed her cheek, leaned forward, and kissed her forehead. "You'll ruin your makeup," he said.

The calm acceptance and familiarity with which he treated her triggered the ugly sobbing she was holding back. She flung her arms around his neck burying her face into him as the floodgate opened. He looked to Joy who was beaming and winked then blew her a kiss. He held Crystal to his chest, stood, and seated himself in her previous spot between the other girls. Now that he could see Dana from around Crystal's hair, he gave her a wink as well along with another reassuring smile. She mouthed back a "Thank you".

He looked back up to the Princess in time to catch her wiping something from an eye, and she slightly blushed. "It is good to see you alive once again, Master Jebidiah." The reactions were amusing.

Charlene, Stern, Tenner, and Joy all keyed in on the honorific and asked "Master?" almost in unison. Dana, Tenner, and Polly meanwhile took note of the beginning of her statement, and Dana asked the Princess directly, "What do you mean by alive once again?" Henna looked confused, and Jebidiah thought he caught a small giggle coming from the bundle of goblin clinging tightly to him, interrupting the quiet sobs she had subsided to. She looked up through tear-filled eyes and said, "All grown up and adult, newly Awoken, and already full of trouble, are we?" Jeb looked into her violet eyes and said, "I've missed you, Crys."

"As touching and amusing as all of this is," said the Princess, "I really must discuss the multiple agendas that brought me here. Much has happened and more must be done by the end of this tenday. Now that the source of most of my problems has arrived, we can start. I'm sure you all are wondering why you were brought to this section of the Keep."

"They don't know, Your Highness?" Jeb interrupted without considering the etiquette involved.

"No," she responded. "I wanted to cover everything with everyone present instead of repeating it multiple times. Was there something I should know that prompted that response?"

"No, Your Highness, forgive me. I just assumed from how everyone acted when I entered that they had been informed."

"Ah, that," the Princess replied. "I'm sure that will be covered after I have departed. Now, back to the agenda, this area is now the designated living quarters for your pod." This brought gasps from some of the girls who started to really consider their surroundings. "The guards on duty shall remain. None of you are allowed to wander freely anymore. Meals will be tasted and brought to you, laundry and cleaning will be handled by verified staff, you may only leave this section with an armed escort and only when summoned."

Dana looked flummoxed. She soundly smacked Jeb in the back and asked, "What has Jeb done now that warrants house arrest?"

"Hey," Jeb cried, smarting from the slap, "It's not all my fault."

"A few hours ago there was an attempt on Jebidiah's life in the lower levels of the Keep." That shut everyone up. "I'm sure Jebidiah will fill in the details when we are done. To summarize the events, Jebidiah was led to a secluded section where an invisible assassin attempted to kill him with aid from unknown accomplices. Jebidiah managed to subdue the assassin who is currently being interrogated. We will apprise you all with updates when any supplied answers are verified. There has not been a breach of this sort in the Lower Keep for several decades and the Queen wished me to extend her apologies for the lapse and gratitude for your handling of the situation." At this, Joy rubbed Jebidiah's shoulder, pride on her face.

Lathanar1
Lathanar1
129 Followers