Jebidiah's Change Bk. 01 Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On one end of the bench seating were a number of people, men and women, dressed in various outfits marking them as Clergy or Artificers. Jebidiah noticed Master Standing among them, and when they made eye contact, they nodded to each other in greeting.

Jebidiah had never been to a council session before, but already several things stood out to him. Nearly everyone seated in the stands was from a House, and they all sat together in their blobs of color while Jebidiah, Tenner, and Crystal were a glaring difference in the Tonstar blue. He expected there to be more group members breaking up the color blocks. His group had multiple houses, so he was unsure how that worked politically, let alone the surnames. He also took note that the Prince was the only male to occupy a seat on the council.

The council comprises thirty members, one for each seat at the table, and House Tonstar held the eight center seats, including the two in the direct center reserved for the Queen and her Prince. To either side were the next strongest Houses, the Stockmars and the Starns, each with three seats, then the next strongest, which were four houses with two seats each. The final eight seats were filled by a single member of the rest of the ruling Houses. It gave fifteen of the thirty Great Houses a voice on governing policy.

The Prince pounded a gavel and called the meeting to order. "We have several emergency dispositions and amendments to bring before the council before we cover old business. It has come to Our attention that several new threats against the Kingdom have recently come to light and must be addressed. I'm sure everyone here is aware of the brazen attack upon the Promenade which occurred during our last session here and of the great sacrifice and courage our guard showed in our defense. Just as important, though unknown to most present, there was an assassination attempt within the Lower Keep just a few days prior." A murmur rippled through the room at the second admission.

"Further, there have recently been more clashes with the Children of Tresolmar, which in two cases resulted in some fatalities and injury." The noise in the stands elevated slightly, and one woman even cried out "The Children are innocent! Slander!" The Prince pounded his gavel and called for order again.

"Finally, members of our council have been informed of the recent abnormalities at one of our Changing Stations involving some of the tallies. The particulars are not for general knowledge and will not be reviewed; however, every seat has enough information to vote."

"Our first disposition to this council is for one Master Chronicler Jebidiah Ryan Overton to be allowed to bond, exempting him from the Talentless prohibitions. Any objections?" One of the House Crag women immediately cried "Objection." Two more objections were also raised from other seats, Houses Kaern and Stance. "In favor?" The rest of the seats all cried "Aye."

"Disposition is in effect."

"Our second disposition to this council is for one Miss Crystal Crag Stark to be allowed to bond, exempting her from the Lost prohibitions. Any objections?" This time several objections were raised immediately, including from the audience when Crystal's mother stood and shouted her objection. "Order! Order! Adjudicator Stark, you are not in a position to Object."

"I do object. My daughter Crystal died, this... creature before us is not her. I am shocked and ashamed that the Crown would not recognize our mourning or our loss. To allow this charade to continue is an affront to our House."

"That is her legal name and this is how We shall continue to refer to her. That is not up for debate or discussion. If you cannot contain yourself, you will be escorted out." The Prince snapped back. "Now, I say again, any Objections?" There were seven objections this time. "Those in favor?" All but two of the remaining seats said "Aye."

"Disposition is in effect."

"Our first amendment is to allow Jebidiah Ryan Overton to enter into a bond on this next Summer's Eve instead of the end of his pod's Academy training. He may bond any eligible women that are in agreement and may add to existing bond members at a later date."

This time three more seats raised their voice in objection making it ten against. Jebidiah grew concerned. There were only 21 seats present. If two seats who abstained from the last vote did so again, there would not be enough votes to pass the amendment. "All in favor?" Nine "Ayes" were returned. "I have the Queen's vote by proxy making the count ten for, ten against, two abstaining. The amendment is in effect."

The eldest of the Crag women then stood up. "This vote is moot as is this session. The laws have already been broken. I charge Jebidiah Overton with entering an unsanctioned bond, having unsanctioned intercourse, fraud, illegal use of bonding magic, illegal intercourse by a Talentless, illegal bonding with a Lost, and illegal intercourse with a Lost. What is happening here is an abomination! It threatens hundreds of years of precedence, tradition, and our society. Things that were put into place to protect our families are being destroyed before our eyes! House Crag demands justice!"

"House Stark demands justice! Let no family experience what we have been forced to endure!" Crystal's mother stood and shouted.

"House Faltha demands justice!"

"House Kaern demands justice!"

"House Stance demands justice!"

More and more House members joined in until eleven of the Houses stood, including seven votes on the council. The Princess' wizard leaned forward and spoke into Jebidiah's ear "Now you can see the 'Let's kill him now' faction within the Houses." It was an intimidating sight. The wizard stepped forward and onto the podium in front of Jebidiah, and the prince called for order again to allow the wizard to speak. "If I may speak for the accused. We have covered this ground before. What we face before us now is not squabbings between Houses nor is it even another Water Crisis. This is a Divine action and could compare to either the Dragon Flight which devastated our lands or the Great Cataclysm which altered our reality and gave rise to those Dragons. The Orcs of Darkhunt stir, Betelgeuse's name once again passes on the tongues of the goblin horde. We must be united and follow the Divine Will that has been shown to us."

"IF what you say is true," the head Crag woman responded, "then it is even more imperative we stick to our ways, the ways the Divine have sanctioned, and hold fast. You speak of Betelgeuse and the goblin hordes yet you would have a goblin join our own ranks? Sully our Academy halls? You succor the enemy in your actions!"

The Princess now stood behind Jebidiah to lend her voice to the debate. "You succor the enemy by spreading baseless fear while stoking petty grievances. When the Houses need to rise and stand strong together, you divide us to fall down apart. War is coming, mark my words, and we need to be united now more than ever. What is coming may be even more than House Starn can handle."

The bickering, shouting, and sometimes debate only ramped up from there. Several times the Prince tried to call for order but failed. There were more Houses in support of Jebidiah than against, but the extremes on both ends were becoming angrier as the shouting continued. Jebidiah finally had enough of listening to his name being thrown left and right with none having the politeness of addressing him directly. His anger grew even more at the slander and hate aimed against Crystal. He took a place on the podium next to the wizard, his face clouded with anger. Some of the Houses noticed his entering the podium, and quieted down, but the most vocal continued shouting over each other.

"This is our much-vaunted council?" Jebidiah noticed his voice projected out from the podium further than he expected and even bounced back toward him. Must be the acoustics, he thought. More of the Houses had quieted down after his remark, and the Prince attempted to call order but once again failed. Jebidiah decided it was time to try out one of the cantrips he had been researching and pulled the strands of the weave he required to cast Thaumaturgy. His next words boomed out before him, magnified enough to make those near him flinch. "I am Master Jebidiah Overton, and I will be heard. His Majesty called for order or do these long traditions you fight so strongly to keep in place not include respect for the crown?" Silence finally settled on the chamber.

Jebidiah scanned the council table, his glare a challenge for any to counter him. He let the cantrip expire so his voice returned to a normal volume. "It is true that I have bonded with Crystal Stark and Dana Tonstar." He heard a gasped "What?" from behind him in what sounded like Princess Stephanie's voice. "I will bond more of the willing as well. I do not come before you to ask permission because your permission is irrelevant. My permission comes directly from the Divines. I follow Comlain's will. I follow the Crown's will. The Dark gathers, the Divine walk our dreams, and I stand here as their representative to call you to the Light. I will not demand your response; I expect you all to know in your hearts what to do. I answer the Divine's call."

The Crag woman would not let it go. "You vile man, you shouldn't be locked up, you should be executed. Our Charlene has warned us of your corruption and perversions. You speak of the Light when you side yourself with the Dark! You declare you bonded a Lost in front of everyone!" She pointed at Crystal to emphasize her point.

As Jebidiah began to respond, he was cut short by a powerful surge through Crystal's bond. He turned in surprise to see her standing straight, eyes glowing. When she spoke, her voice was joined by two others from the far end of the room, but Jebidiah was too focused on Crystal to see who. In unison, they said "Jebidiah Tonstar Valor, First of Your Name, Prime of the Eight, Bonds Reforged the others await. You must gather them before it grows late. Darkness falls on the land. Listen to the past, and your future will be clear. Judgment Met." As the last words left her, she fainted, and Dana and Tenner caught her, staring at Jebidiah with wild eyes. The council chambers burst into chaos with some screams and the double doors violently opened as guards began to pour in.

Jebidiah turned to gather his group. Dana held Crystal in her arms, and Tenner crushed him in a fierce hug while her body shook. "Jeb, I'm scared. What are they going to do to you now? To us?" He tried to comfort her as the wizard quietly said "Well, that's about as textbook a case of Divine intervention as I have ever heard of." Princess Stephanie came over, and the wizard continued his conversation toward her. "I think we are well and truly fucked if they feel the Divine need to make themselves known so directly. I'm at a loss."

The Princess stared at Jebidiah with a look he could not figure out. "So you joined Dana in your bond." It did not sound like a question.

"He did and I am." Dana answered. "We did not use an enchanter, the Divine are at work here. Cousin, this all is moving too fast."

Stephanie's eyes never left Jebidiah's face. "You already have three out of the eight. Who are the others?"

"Tenner" he said before he could think and she squeezed him harder. "Stern if we can manage. I have no idea who else, Charlene is definitely out and we had no luck bonding with Joy. I'm really not comfortable with the references to The Eight. They may have saved the Kingdom but they all died doing it and we're far from Battle Mages taking on a horde of Orcs."

Master Standing joined their group.

"So, you do have a bonding process?" the wizard asked?

"We do, but it is not up for discussion." Jebidiah answered.

The Princess opened her mouth to speak; then shut it, keeping the thought to herself. Jebidiah had his back to the council table and did not see anyone approach but he could tell someone was there when those facing him all looked past his shoulders and began to bow, unable to kneel. He turned to meet the gaze of Prince Matthew. "Your Majesty." he and Tenner said, bowing as well.

"You seem to have a penchant for the impossible Master Overton, or I guess from now on we might as well ditch the pretenses and say Master Valor. It may be best if you were on your way, it will take at least an hour to calm this down to where we can carry on and your presence will most likely prolong it."

"We thank you, Your Majesty." Jebidiah's group and Standing left to find their guard and the exit. He heard Stephanie say, "Father." and then she and her wizard joined them.

"I hear you had another encounter with the Academy staff, Jebidiah. You are gaining a reputation." the Princess said.

"His theories and methods were obtuse, Your Highness." Jebidiah answered back.

"Be that as it may, you still need an instructor so we have decided to take a personal hand. Starting tomorrow your magic training will be under Michael's tutelage."

"Your Highness? Michael?" Jebidiah knew a few Michaels, but none that would fit in this conversation.

"That would be me." the wizard answered. "Michael Tonstar at your service."

"Oh, I did not realize you were in the family, my apologies. We were never formally introduced."

"I am Michael's prime." The Princess said. "I am not used to him being exposed or apart from us so arrangements will need to be made. We must part ways here. George, you are taking them below? It may be time to move."

"Your Highness." Standing replied. Stephanie and Matthew went on their way. Standing looked at the group and quietly said "Jebidiah, I need your help, please come with me."

They followed him down into the Lower Keep until they arrived once again at the guard room with the ever present Captain Irons. "We need to see the prisoner."

They sat in a larger interrogation room that Jebidiah had not entered before, as there were now five people instead of the usual two or three. The Halfling, Mila, was soon brought in. Standing said to the guard, "You can wait outside the door. We have Crown business today."

Upon entering, Mila looked up to see who she was meeting. "Tis the scary one again. You back to judge and punish me, eh? Maybe throw me over that big lap of yours and punish me with those big hands of yours?"

Dana and Tenner weren't able to hold in the quick chuckle that escaped them, but quickly buckled down again. Jebidiah scowled.

Mila nodded at Dana, "See? You? Not scary. Him? Scary. The goblin is cute though. Nice touch the hair. So. Are we having tea or getting down to the beating part?"

Jebidiah wasn't sure where this was going and luckily Standing saved him the awkwardness. "We know you can do Invisibility, but the illusion of the page you used. Does it need to mask you or is it a pre-programmed stationary effect?"

The look on her face showed her unpreparedness for the question. She narrowed her eyes slightly and said "This not the usual be. Why question the abilities now?"

"Do you wish to leave here alive? The Keep that is?" Standing asked instead.

"That's a poor threat, but sense deceit I dare. You be up to something you shouldn't." She was looking sternly between Jebidiah and Standing now.

Jebidiah looked at Standing. "If I am understanding what you are implying, remember the first time we talked to her? She was in the chair but not." To Mila he said "If you remember, Mila, I told you I meant to get you out of here. I'm not a fan of lying."

Standing took over again. "Ah, yes, just so. Well, Mila, there have been five separate attempts by different parties to kill you this last tenday. They are becoming more sophisticated and harder to counter. Some are even from the nobility. So I have a proposition for you..."

Thirty minutes later they left the interrogation room and Standing called for a healer. "There's something going on with her again, it may be magical in nature. Do not go in there until both a healer and dispeller are at hand." They worked their way out of the Keep and back onto the Promenade. "It should only be a few more minutes before they are willing to enter the room. The dispellers take a little longer to get there. Are you sure you can keep track of her?"

Jebidiah was watching the gray shadow creeping along the store fronts next to them. An occasional trinket would disappear but otherwise the invisibility held. "Yes, she's still here. We need to stop at the Golden Dragon on the way."

"I don't think that would be wise under the circumstances." Standing stopped and said.

"And yet we will." Jebidiah answered.

Standing made to protest then gave up and said "Fine. Corporal Yantzee, do you know the way to the Golden Dragon?"

Without a word Yantzee broke off from the group and the rest followed. He took them on a somewhat winding course until they arrived in front of a tavern with a large golden dragon head sticking out of the roof. Yantzee stayed by the door and Harris and the other guards went inside to look for danger. Jebidiah looked towards the gray shadow of Mila and said "Follow us." Yantzee looked at Jebidiah with a confused look and said "No." Jebidiah grinned and went inside.

A waitress came up to them and offered to show them to a seat. They followed her into a back hallway then around into a smaller room. Jebidiah asked the others for some patience and then he and Crystal entered the room. Inside was a lone man sitting at a table with a mug of something in front of him. He had a smaller frame and was rail thin, almost half the mass of Jebidiah. Short cropped black hair set off a boyish face with a sharp nose and equally sharp features that matched his thin frame. Jebidiah had time to notice he wore the same colors as Crystal when she cried "Papa!" and rushed to hug him. He stood to meet her and there were a few tears while they stood in each other's silent embrace. Finally he broke the hug and said "You still look like my pumpkin. The hair is a nice touch though."

She wiped at her tears. "Papa, I want you to meet Jebidiah. He's my... life. Jeb, this is my father, Henry Mylar Crag-Stark"

He offered a hand and Jebidiah shook it. "It is a pleasure to meet you. I wasn't sure I would get the opportunity."

"You will have to forgive my families, Jebidiah. My prime is Crystal's mother but she has forbidden me even to mention her name. My mother is the sister to House Crag's current matriarch and she has forbidden me to mention or see Crystal as well. The families are deeply aligned after so many generations of bonding integrations. I may not be able to see you again pumpkin but I just wanted you to know I still love you and would never willingly turn you away." Henry said.

"I know Papa. Prince Matthew explained your position to me and what I could expect from the Houses. It hurts but with Jeb's help I am making it through."

Henry looked up at Jebidiah and gave him thanks. "I truly appreciate and will never forget everything you have done for my daughter. Know that I will never forget."

Jebidiah placed a hand on Crystal's shoulder. "We can stay as long as you need love, but I will have to give you two privacy. I need to keep track of our guest."

Crystal smiled and nodded. "Thank you. I love you."

"Love you too short stuff. Master Crag, again, it was a pleasure to meet you." He left the room as Crystal and her father began to quietly talk.

They talked for about thirty or forty minutes before Crystal came back out. "He has to get back before he is missed. We must leave before he can safely go."

On the way back to their Academy rooms, Jebidiah began to question Standing more about the Council Session. "The divide between the Houses and the backlash the Crown received was more than I was expecting. Has it always been so contentious?"