Jebidiah's Change Bk. 01 Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In a way of answering, Standing answered with a different topic. "How much do you know about the ancients? Who they were?"

"Not enough really, I've just heard the propaganda the Children put out." Jebidiah answered. He looked over to where Mila was keeping up. "What about you, Mila?"

"Been to some ruins." She answered and the guards all stopped and drew weapons at the sound of her disembodied voice. Jebidiah chuckled. "You can drop it now, Mila, we should be safe enough but I don't want to take chances. I'm hoping the time we spent at the Dragon was enough to let the sniffers get past us."

Mila dropped her invisibility and the guards cursed. Yantzee looked at Jebidiah and Standing and said "This is wrong."

Jebidiah chuckled even more. "That's three words, Yantzee. You are slipping. Sorry to pull one over on you but this is important. Crown's business."

"The Crown is it? Scary boy has some friends in high places?" Mila jested.

"Crown assets actually." Standing answered. "We need to continue on. And I apologize as well, Hiro. It was my idea." The corporal nodded and the group continued walking. "There are few surviving texts but thankfully most are written in an old form of commonspeak. It seems the vast majority of the ancients spoke a dialect not too distant from ours. Even so, there are some concepts in some of the manuals we have found that continue to baffle the various Masters who have tried to decipher them. Last year an expedition to one of the fallen towers returned with a book on the politics of the Ancients. It is a fascinating read. Can you imagine a society where everyone took a vote on what they wanted and the majority would get their way? Or a society where nobody owned anything?"

"I find either to be deeply disturbing. How would they function?" Jebidiah was having trouble contemplating either option.

"They couldn't," Dana chimed in. "If you let the majority decide anything it would just be mob rule. Some elves have tried it in small groups. Something they called 'communes'. They all died."

"Yes, there was a splinter group of Homish Elves that attempted it less than a hundred years ago." Standing agreed. "We never found out exactly what transpired there. But back to this book; it details out many different political systems that the Ancients had tried out with some examples and results. Tonstar is what they referred to as a 'Monarchy' where the polity is ruled by a dynastic ruler. The ancients normally had male rulers so King was mentioned more often than Queen. The book also outlined what they called 'Feudal Societies" that had a peerage system nearly identical to ours. Monarchies were very popular with some lasting several millennia. Many were replaced by a system called 'Democracy' where as I said majority vote ruled."

"I agree this is all fascinating, but I would like to go back to my original question. I don't see the relevance with this book." Jebidiah said.

Standing kept going, "Please, bear with me a little more. One of the problems with the Monarchies this book focused on, like our own, was that it does not 'scale' well. A central authority is always limited by speed of communications and we are reaching that point in the Kingdom. Each major city is the base of one of the ruling Houses but they still need to travel to the Keep to agree on overall policy decisions and coordination. The highways have greatly increased our speed of travel but that only allows so much expansion and we still have unacceptable delays. These new airships may end up taking some pressure off, but only for a time."

"Several forms of government that are covered in the book, designed to deal with this issue. One is called a Constitutional Republic where regions within a polity elect people they feel best represent their interests. Those elected travel to the central government location and from there agree on legislation and the like. It is not like mob rule that Democracy describes, but it allows various regions to have representation that understands their needs. However, it lacks a dynastic component like a King or Queen. Another form though, similar in nature, does. It is called a Constitutional Monarchy. It is more of a power sharing system between the Crown, the peerage, and the commoners. There are a large number of Houses that like and support such a system as it would limit the Crown and boost the Houses' powers at the cost of giving the common folk a voice. It would also be a representative government, meaning the main power within each House can stay in their homes while chosen representatives handle politicking. There are also a block of Houses who fear the changes and want nothing more than the status quo, our current Monarchy. That is the division you saw play out today."

"So the Crags, the Starks, the Falthas and the rest that opposed me are the ones that want to keep the current Monarchy?" Jebidiah asked. "The rest, including the crown, want the Constitutional one?"

"That kind of system is appealing but it would be a fundamental shift in society." Dana added. "Why the term Constitutional?"

"That is correct, Jebidiah. If they allowed changes for you and yours then they would have a harder time blocking larger changes. And Dana, there would be what you could consider a written contract between the government and the citizens detailing out the role and responsibility of the government. That contract is called a constitution."

"My mother would never agree to such an upheaval and change in the base power structure." Crystal said.

"I have enough trouble with family politics." Tenner cut in. "This stuff just makes my head hurt. I'm just happy I won't ever have to lead the House."

"That is a lot to think about." Jebidiah said. He was lost in his thoughts while the others continued discussing the ideas. They soon came to the gates into the Academy grounds and Jebidiah noticed there were no Children present. He looked around to make sure none were hiding when he noticed a pair of gray silhouettes on the parapets above the gate and a couple more in the bushes at ground level. He drew his sword, yelled 'Ambush! Two above!' and charged one of the two on the ground.

Jebidiah's hyper focused state came faster this time. He saw the two figures before him raise their hands like they had crossbows so he ducked and rolled at an angle and heard the twangs of the bolts being released. The two became visible with their attack. It was two orcs before him, each drawing plain iron swords while pulling shields off their backs. Their crossbows lay in the grass before them. With a roar Jebidiah brought his sword up for an overhead swing and the orc who was his target brought up its shield to block. Jebidiah kept his sword raised and instead of striking, kicked the crossbow before him up and into the orc's chest. The move confused the orc and it lowered the shield too late to block the crossbow but gave Jebidiah the opening he needed to finally bring his sword down. His strike nearly clove the orc's sword shield arm from its body.

Jebidiah's sword was stuck in the orc as it twisted and fell with a hoarse cry. He looked up to see what he could do about the second orc who had yet to join the fray. To his surprise the orc lay on its face with a large puddle of blood forming on its back. Mila stood over it with a wicked looking dagger in her hand. They both looked up at a cry and were forced to step back some to miss another orc body, complete with crossbow bolt jutting from an eye socket, that fell from the parapet. Yantzee had caught up with them, soon joined by more guards who spread out in an obvious search pattern. Several of them knelt at the fallen orcs and one cried out, "One is still alive! Get a healer!"

Jebidiah walked over and looked at Mila to make sure she was unhurt. The dagger has vanished somewhere in her clothing. He spoke quietly to her so that Yantzee couldn't hear, "Where'd you get that dagger from?" She whispered back, "Where'd you get that sword from?"

Jebidiah, Mila, and Yantzee returned to their group to see Tenner's guard lying on the ground, two bolts lodged in her chest. Dana, who had managed to get a crossbow from somewhere, was comforting Crystal. Tenner stood near her guard's body with tears in her eyes so Jebidiah embraced her in a hug. "I know you said we should get to know them but I hadn't given much thought. I never asked her name. She died for me and I didn't know who she was. I'm so sorry Jeb." Jebidiah didn't know how to respond.

Yantzee walked up to them, staring hard at Jebidiah. "That was foolish." Jebidiah ignored him for a minute, he felt his anger rising. It took a couple more minutes to realize the anger was at himself because Yantzee was right. He stared at the fallen guard and finally nodded, saying "I know. What was her name?"

"Corporal Yantzee. Yvonne Yantzee." he answered. Jebidiah noticed the first real flicker of emotion had ever seen in Hiro.

"I'm sorry Hiro. Truly. Were you related?" Jebidiah knew it was a stupid question as soon as he asked it. He had never encountered the surname before.

"She is third among my wives." he answered simply. Tenner sobs came heavier and she would have collapsed if Jebidiah wasn't holding her.

Corporal Harris came and placed a hand on his fellow's shoulder. "Uther's Light guides us."

Yantzee replied, "Through the Dark we will march."

Dana's guard chimed in with them "We are the shield of the axe." The three then intoned as one. "Uther's own."

When they returned to their quarters they walked into more surprises. The forward guard room was empty as were their quarters. Their guard bade them follow and the group walked across the parade grounds, around the garden area and entered the Bh'orel Headquarters. After several salutes and more condolences they were ushered into a Captain's office. Captain Julia Withers was an average looking woman, there was nothing remarkable about most of her features but she had stunning blue-white eyes, almost like diamonds surrounding the black of her irises. She was of an average build as well but Jebidiah found it hard to concentrate on anything other than her eyes.

"I'm sorry we couldn't get word to you of your accommodation change before you arrived. An hour before your arrival there was an orc attack on the North East wall patrol and it drew most of our on duty personnel there to investigate and secure the area. This is the most brazen attack the Darkhunt Federation has attempted in several generations. When we discussed reasons one of the first things brought up was you, Jebidiah. You and your group. There have already been several attacks on you and this would just add to the list of enemies you seemed to have made."

"It really hasn't been my intention to create enemies." Jebidiah said.

"We can only deal with the realities." The Captain responded. "We thought it best to move your pod, which I've been informed today is now really a bonded Group, to proper group housing. First I think you will find it accommodates your unique circumstances better and second it is much easier to defend. You have been moved to sublevel C of this Headquarters building, suite 12C to be exact. Since you are here, Corporal Harris your group will take up 11C, Simons 13C and Yantzee 14C to keep everyone together. The rest of C now contains the remaining Groups of members assigned to Jebidiah's detail. Hiro, we are very sorry for your loss. Temporary assignments are in the works to allow proper mourning."

"That will not be necessary, Captain." Yantzee replied. "We do our duty." He looked over at Jebidiah. "I believe I am needed now more than ever. This is bigger than any of us and leaves little room for mourning."

"We honor your duty Corporal Yantzee as your resolve does us honor. Attend your assignment, but the offer will stand." the Captain replied. She looked back at Jebidiah. "The ambush at the gates only confirms the attack was aimed at you. I'm told there was an unscheduled delay on your trip back which would have thrown off the attackers time table and probably kept you alive. Your ability to see the ambush and act first to gain the initiative only compounded that luck. It makes you harder to protect though. This is your second confirmed kill while under our protection when no one should be able to get in arms reach of you. Hopefully burying you under a pile of Guard will do the trick."

"You bury the dead, Captain. I have a lot of living to do." Jebidiah answered with a wry grin. "I'm just sorry your troops keep taking the blunt end of the hammer for us."

"We are the shield of the axe." she replied.

All the other guards present intoned in a single voice "Uther's own."

The Captain took her gaze off of Jebidiah and redirected it to Mila. "I've also been told that your little friend might be the escaped prisoner the Keep is looking for. They are quite upset that she got away. Quite upset. While I would never admit to any enjoyment at the Keep's Guard getting raked over the coals for letting an avowed assassin that managed to penetrate the lowest levels of the Keep escape, I do need to know why she is here. In my building."

"She is under my care, Captain. I'm afraid it is Crown business and you would have to ask Princess Stephanie for the details. There's a mole somewhere in the works and we are trying to avoid any more information leaks. If not for the attack I was hoping to get her in our quarters without anyone else aware. She will behave though, won't you Mila? I still hold your parole and have been granted to mete out whatever form of punishment I chose appropriate for any transgressions."

"I'll be good, Scary Man."

"There are training and exercise rooms on sublevels D and E so your Academy training will be contained to this building until the next Block starts and we re-evaluate conditions. Any further questions?"

Tenner asked, "Are we allowed visitors? Fellow students?"

"We will need a list of acceptable visitors from everyone and warning for when they are expected." the Captain replied.

"We'll put together a list, Captain." Jebidiah said. Looking over at Tenner he added, "Good catch." She preened a little at the compliment.

Dana asked, "Can we have some real sword instructors? Someone with actual combat experience who isn't afraid and won't pull punches? Stern and I are in need of some serious sparring partners."

The Captain considered. "You are correct, you do need real training, not the cursory information from Block 1. Corporal Simons, since Dana is your client you are in charge of her training. Stern has a more fitting guard and she can take over his training."

Yantzee spoke up then. "Ma'am, who do we have brave enough to handle Stern? The man can crush most of us."

"Corporal Smeck." the Captain grinned.

"Smeck? She's as big as him. I thought she was retired because of the incident?" Jebidiah made a mental note to ask about 'the incident'. It sounded like it deserved capital letters.

"It was felt she was a good fit in this case. Anything else?"

"I'll take over Overton's weapon training, ma'am." Yantzee added.

The Captain merely nodded. No one else had anything so she said "Dismissed."

The guard led the way down several flights of stairs to their new quarters and were greeted by the rest of their friends except Charlene.

The front room was much like every other dorm they had been in since the Changing Station. It was spacious and had plenty of couches, chairs, tables, rugs, lighting, and any other comforts they could have asked for. The exit door was on one of the short ends of the rectangular room while the other end held two doors which were open. The right door had a dining table visible through it and the left was opened to a hallway. There was also a fireplace on the left and right walls with the seating in the center of the room focused on the nearest fireplace. The ceilings here were higher, nearly ten feet was Jebidiah's guess. The last dorm was a little over eight and Stern had looked like he would bump his head if he got the chance. He had plenty of headroom here.

When they entered Joy flew across the room and jumped into Jebidiah's arms, nearly knocking him over. "Hey munchkin, I missed you too." He kissed her on the head and when it became apparent she had no designs on letting go, he sat with her on his lap. The rest sat too but Mila stayed standing, looking unsure at Stern.

"I think it's time for another Group Conference." Jebidiah said. Dana laughed, "What makes one a Group Conference and another a Family Meeting?"

"Easy. Conferences are in the sitting room and we make decisions. Meetings are during dinner and we discuss our day."

"I can get behind that." Dana said.

"Glad you approve."

"I'd rather you getting behind me. More odds of approval." she smirked.

"And before we get more sidetracked, Joy, Stern, I want to introduce Mila. She'll be staying with us for a while."

"She looks like Joy. Can we handle two of them?" Stern remarked.

Everyone except Mila laughed at that. Joy pulled her head out of Jebidiah's chest to take a real look at Mila. "Divines, she's beautiful." Mila actually blushed. "Thank you." she said, flustered.

"Charlene had her stuff removed by servants when we were packing up. She didn't come here. Is Mila a replacement?" Stern asked.

"No, Stern. Mila is the one who tried to kill me in the Keep." Jebidiah said.

Joy gasped in surprise and Stern stood up to his full height. He was nearly twice as tall as Mila. "Is this wise? I trust you Jeb but this seems wrong. Charlene gone, your assassin here? Who is going to watch her?"

Jebidiah was growing concerned at how verbose Stern was becoming. He never talked much and hardly ever questioned decisions. "Let me tell you what happened at the Council meeting and maybe things will make more sense."

It took nearly an hour to cover the story and answer all of Joy's questions. Stern and even Mila added some questions of their own. When they covered the attack at the gate Stern grew even more concerned over what was going on. "We knew of the attack on the patrol but heard nothing of the attempt on you. It made sense to move us in here but now I feel boxed in. I don't like feeling cornered. Do you know more about this Corporal Smeck that is replacing my guard? His name was Corporal Heich by the way. He didn't like me talking to him."

"Ooo, that reminds me." Joy said. "My guard is Corporal Alex Miller Tyler-Mentry. 2nd Company. His brother is Jeremiah Miller Tyler-Harris, Crystal's guard. He's nice but shy."

Tenner started to cry again and Joy realized what she had done. "I'm sorry, ten, I wasn't thinking." Jebidiah held out an arm and Tenner slid into his embrace. "It's ok Ten. Really. We'll honor her at her ceremony."

"So what's the game plan Master Valor?" Dana asked.

"I don't know if I should laugh at that or punish you." Jebidiah said. "I'm not comfortable with that name but I don't think I'm going to escape it."

"But that's your name, isn't it?" Mila said from where she had finally sat. Away from Stern. "Bora called you Valor."

"The Divines are the only one's calling me that. If several are, there must be a reason." Jebidiah sighed. "On that note, I have to review all the findings I was given from the other Houses on House Valor and its full history. All I could uncover is they were destroyed during the Dragon Flight. Apparently they pissed off Red."

"Like Red Roost Red?" Dana asked a bit nervously. "That's a damn big dragon."

"The biggest at the time. Yay for team Valor. Go big or go home. We also all need to think about the last divination and what it might mean. At least it was a little clearer than the first. My head hurts, let's eat and just relax for an evening."

"Oh, before I keep forgetting, my father gave me some information Stark had on Valor." Crystal pulled a couple sheets of parchment from her bodice.