Jess was a Bitch Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Turbidus
Turbidus
1,094 Followers

"Both of my children are smart asses. I blame your father."

"Why me?" James protests, looking plausibly indignant.

"Well, dear, it couldn't have been me." James rolls his eyes but he's happy to accept her kiss. "Alright, smart asses, on the beach in fifteen or you're a monkey's uncle."

"What does that even mean, dad?" Jess asks.

"It means hurry up, sweetie." Gloria says, patting her daughter's shoulder as she walks past her.

***

The four of them splash and horse around longer than James can recall them doing in over a decade. He feels, despite the weight of worry he's carrying over his children's dilemma, happier than he has in ages, maybe ever. It's with real reluctance that he leaves them and wades to shore, telling them the white lie that he has to use the restroom, but in reality, he wants to talk to Caitlin. He spotted her and Travis pulling two lounge chairs around to face the sun.

"Hi, James."

Caitlin greets him with a warm smile and a hug, despite the fact he's dripping wet.

"Hello, Caitlin, Travis." He nods at Travis who nods back. "Could I talk with you for a moment?"

"Of course," Caitlin responds. She looks past him, frowns. "Does Gloria have her PICC line covered up?"

James smiles. "Indeed, she does, plastic wrap and water-proof tape and an endless stream of protests."

"Okay," Caitlin sighs as she sits. "Pull up a chair."

"No thank you, I need to hit the little boys' room and get back to the familia."

"But first you want to know more about the deal with Jon."

"Yes, I do. I've no reason to distrust you but why? It sounds like a great opportunity for Jon. He trusts you. I trust you, I think. But we've never met this David guy. Jon is far from stupid, but he is trusting and naïve at times. Besides, you mentioned earlier you'd rather have Jon as a friend than a lover. In some ways a business relationship is even harder on friendships. Doesn't that worry you?"

"Why is easy. I'm blown away, totally fucking blown away by his work. I want the world to see it and, frankly, I want to be a tiny part of bringing him to the attention of the world. Besides, despite the short acquaintance, I've grown to like him, and Jess, a great deal, love them even. They're terrific people. You and Gloria, should be so proud. And I am nervous about our friendship, but I know I'll do what's best for Jon and that he'll understand that."

"We are, proud of them, I mean. Thank you." He turns and walks towards the restrooms, realizing he really does need to take a leak.

"That's it?"

James smiles at her. "That's it."

"My own father is going to grill me a thousand times harder than that," she observes to her husband who is already stretched out beside her.

"Yup, but he's your dad and James is a friend. Plus, don't get mad, but your dad is kind of a douche sometimes."

"Oh, really. I hadn't noticed."

"Besides, it's not your dad you have to convince, it's Robert." Robert was the executor of Caitlin's trust, which she would not have complete control over until she turned thirty-five.

"Robert doesn't fart without getting the okay from my father," Caitlin snorts.

"You're just pissed you couldn't seduce him," Travis says, chuckling.

"Oh, please. Robert is gay," Caitlin snaps.

"So?"

"Shut up, Travis."

He does, sort of, if you don't count laughing out loud.

***

"I don't want to fall asleep. If I do when I wake up, it will be time for you to go."

Jon hugs Jess close, working one leg between her wet thighs. They said their good nights to the others, hours ago. Since then, they snuggled, made slow, exquisite love to each other, and talked.

"It's okay, baby. Sleep."

"Why can't I come to the airport with you."

"Because, it would be too hard on me and worse on you riding back here alone in the van."

"I wish you'd stay."

"I know, baby. I want to stay but I, we, need a few days apart."

"I thought you'd made up your mind."

"I have. Have you? I need to know your choice is yours alone, not because I was hanging all over you. It's only a week."

"It's fucking forever," Caitlin cries, voice choked.

"Baby, isn't that what you're still considering? Parting forever?"

Jess presses her face against his chest. Hot tears run down his side. He holds her. When she falls asleep, he doesn't move.

***

"Is it morning already? No fucking way," Jess cries when the alarm goes off. Jon touches the button on his phone that will silence it.

It's Saturday. Two weeks have pasted. His paintings have been rolled up, packed in tubes and mailed. For all he knows they'll be in the cargo hold of the plane carrying him away from here, away from Jess, back to Dallas. He leans over Jess and kisses her. His arm dead from her lying on it for the past four hours.

"Morning, baby."

"Jon, don't go. Stay. Please."

He smiles, shakes his head.

"You're being mean! You're trying to punish me for not just saying, 'yes' and jumping with my eyes closed." He looks at her, not angry or even sad, until she drops her eyes. "I'm sorry. That wasn't fair."

He hugs her close. "It's okay. It'll all be okay. Whatever you decide." He kisses her forehead and scoots from under her.

"When did you become the mature one?"

Jon grins. "Fuck, I've always been the mature one, Jess. Get real."

"True," she smiles at him. "But shut the fuck up anyway." Her smile fades. "Love me before you go. Please."

He climbs back into bed, leaning into her open arms.

He surprises her by declining her invitation to shower together. Even with his long hair, he's ready in half the time it will take her. While she showers, he packs, careful to set out the box he'd secreted in his suitcase. By the time Jess is dressed, they have ten minutes before they're supposed to meet their parents for breakfast.

"Jess, sit down, please?"

"Of course, you even need to ask?"

She sits; he picks up a box sitting on the bed beside him. It's too big to be a ring but her heart begins to pound so hard she's sure it's shaking the walls of the room. He opens the box and tilts it toward her.

"Jon! The seashell!" She looks at him and he smiles.

Inside the box rests the two pieces of seashell they'd found on the beach. Each fragment is wrapped in a beautiful cage of silver and suspended from a silver chain. The edges where they fit together have been left free.

"I wanted rose gold but I couldn't even afford regular gold," Jon mutters.

"Their beautiful," Jess whispers.

"The jeweler in Cancun did an amazing job."

"Cancun?"

"Yeah, that day I left you guys in the hospital I went to a jeweler recommended by the concierge. Remember, that fucker that smirked at you while I was talking to him?" Jess nods. Jon picks up one of the chains, but he doesn't put it around Jess' neck. He puts it around his own. He closes the box and hands it to hear. She looks at him, confused.

"When I pick you up at the airport, if you've decided to give us a try, wear this. If I don't see it, I won't ask you, won't bug you or do anything to make it harder for you. Okay?"

She's crying again. She doesn't speak but manages a nod. He pulls her to his side and holds the side of her head.

"Come on, let's go eat," he tells her after a few minutes, when the sniffling has stopped.

She nods. "Let me wash my face again."

***

Gloria comes close to bursting into tears when she sees the look in her daughter's eyes. She's amazed at Jon's calm. How could she have been so unaware of his inner strength? Breakfast is even more subdued than dinner had been. Jon manages to eat. Jess moves things around on her plate. Gloria has a mouthful or two of scrambled eggs and James has two slices of toast. Then, it's time for Jon to go.

Caitlin and Travis are waiting in the lobby. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to know when the shuttle to the airport leaves. Jon adds his bag to the pile of luggage waiting to be loaded into the van, skirts the milling crowd of other departees, and returns to give everyone a hug.

They mutter a few words. He nods when Caitlin tells him David will call to set up a time to fly to Dallas to meet in person. The driver announces it's time to go.

Ignoring the others, he kisses Jess softly, squeezing her to him. Gloria and Caitlin have wet eyes. James and Travis examined the tile floor. Jess manages to hold back her tears until the van pulls away.

As soon as it starts down the long drive to the highway, she throws a hand over her mouth and runs for her room.

***

It's her mother who enters an hour later to remind her they have to leave these rooms and move into Caitlin and Travis' suite. Jess nods. She's packed. She listlessly follows the others out to the beach.

The sun is entering the homestretch when three cell phones buzz.

"It's Jon. He's landed and waiting for an Uber. He sends his love," James tells the others, lowering his phone.

Jess nods.

Turbidus
Turbidus
1,094 Followers