Jewel Ascending Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dianne flinched and stepped back in surprise.

"I'm expecting two guests; let me know the minute they arrive."

"Oh. Of course my lady...but they're already here. I have them waiting in your sitting room."

Jewel was practically running down the hallway before Dianne even finished speaking.

Jewel burst through the door to her salon, startling everyone sitting inside. She saw that Donna was entertaining Brandi and Neil...uh...Olivia as staff served tea and snacks. The maid serving dropped a tea cup full of tea from Jewel's sudden arrival.

"Tell me what you know!" Jewel practically screamed as she stalked over to Olivia.

The poor girl who only a moment before had been an image of sweet seduction shrank back with fear.

"Jewel what is going on?" Donna demanded placing herself between Olivia and Jewel.

Jewel, who never screamed, never swore, and who never lost her cool had just burst into the room and screamed at a guest. Something was clearly wrong.

Jewel caught herself. She saw the shocked fearful expressions on the faces of the people around her. The countess who could never lose her composure had just lost her composure. Her conditioning would never allow it.

For the first time in years she had actually broken her training and conditioning. She remembered them now as she calmed herself down, remembered her lessons and regained her poise and control. These were not the people she should be angry with. Her anger now had a target.

Horace.

Calmly, Jewel told Donna everything Dr. Patricia Agonia had just told her.

**

Horace allowed himself a rare moment to smile. He sipped his scotch and savored the fiery smooth flavor. His plan was working. All the pieces were falling into place. The message from James McLeod had just confirmed that Dr. Patricia Agonia had injected Countess Delacroix with the last dose of nanobots.

His plan was coming to fruition. In two to four weeks she would come crawling to see him as the nanobots overwrote her mental pathways and subsumed her personality, fully enslaving her to his will.

Then with her money he would finally produce enough nanobots for all the nobility and enslave them over the course of the year.

Horace did consider that he might have James sanction Count Donna Delacroix if she catches on to the changes in her wife. Or maybe he would simply eliminate her as a precaution but for now that option was too risky.

Horace was a patient man and the need for stealth was never more appropriate.

Horace took another sip of scotch as he stared out the window of his office. He smiled again. I love it when a plan comes together.

**

The mood in the room was dark. After Jewel told Donna what she knew they immediately interrogated Olivia/Neil. They were disappointed. Olivia didn't remember being anyone except Olivia and had no memory of Neil, anyone named Neil, or ever being Neil herself. She was just a frightened little mouse scared of Jewel. She had no knowledge of nanobots or what they were.

Jewel went to her study and immediately opened her HAL 9000 computer and her access programs to investigate Dr. Horace Jarrod Inon. She was disappointed to see all his personal accounts were simple with no evidence of anything out of the ordinary.

Of course, she thought, he wouldn't use his personal accounts. She needed to find his dummy accounts and his shell company's just like Jean Claude's that she had uncovered during the year and a half since his death.

Jewel also knew that she needed help. It had taken her a year and a half to find all the accounts she did. She didn't have the luxury of time.

She first thought of Dewayne White. He was the head of Smith Financials Allegorian office and he certainly had the skills.

But he was also possibly part of the problem. Some of her dead husband's illegal business dealings ran through Smith Financial accounts. She didn't think Dewayne could be trusted. He was certainly less cordial these days than he was before she visited him with his arranged marriage male bride and wife.

Her desire to end all arranged marriages had soured their relationship early on.

Jewel collapsed in despair. It was hopeless. In four weeks she would be enslaved and as near as she knew there was nothing she could do about it.

Jewel and Donna were thus surprised that it was Brandi who came up with an idea.

"If you take down Horace then maybe we can find the off switch." She proposed.

"How, I've been trying for weeks now to follow his trail. I don't know how, I'm not good enough..." Jewel was on the verge of tears.

"Is there anyone you do know who has the skills to follow the trail?" Olivia asked.

Jewel sniffled and almost laughed at Olivia's simple question...

But with a sudden flash of insight, Jewel realized exactly who she needed.

Jewel had worked and struggled on her computer and her frustrations grew. Her skills just weren't up to par. She had become a talented amateur from her self study and from her good fortune to inherit Jean Claude's illegal banking software scheme, but as good as she was she just kept following one dead end after another. She had often groaned in frustration and wished she had someone to help her, mentor her, someone who knew finance well, like the back of her hand.

Someone like her father.

Jewel thought about her dad. She hadn't seen or heard of him since the night of the Vikings Football game...was it really 3 years ago now?

Jewel recalled his plight. He had fled Allegoria when Jules was just a baby because he uncovered unscrupulous activity in Jean Claude's financial affairs. Jean Claude had admitted it openly the night of the football game.

Jewel knew she needed to track him down. She opened up a public directory and typed in her father's name. It would probably amount to nothing since nothing was ever that easy...

Her computer pinged. It had returned a hit. John McLeod: She read his name, address, and even a phone number. She was hopeful as she had doubted it would be that easy.

Jewel reached to tap on the phone icon to call him but suddenly stayed her hand.

She should go over instead.

She should see him for herself.

**

Jewel took Melinda with her as they drove to her father's address. Melinda had done some additional research for her and found that he was unemployed and apparently living off of his share of her bride price that Count Delacroix had paid her family for the right to marry her. Jewel remembered when her mother told her they were getting divorced. He would only have 1/2 of his share of the bride price. Maybe 1/2 a million?

As they pulled into the apartment complex Jewel noted the general dilapidated and disreputable air of the facility. It was apparently a lower working class neighborhood.

Jewel followed Melinda as she led the way to the second floor apartment. The blinds were drawn and they couldn't see in. Melinda knocked several times but there was no answer. Jewel and Melinda both noticed that there was a booze delivery on his stoop.

"Well, he is inside."

"How do you know?"

"His phone is inside." Melinda held out a tablet that showed the active ping of her father's phone.

"Is there another way in?" Jewel asked. She was eager to see her father.

Melinda looked to Jewel as if considering something before she finally spoke.

"You have the authority as Countess to authorize me to enter." Melinda finally stated. She gave Jewel a penetrating look.

Jewel didn't even hesitate.

"Yes. Do it." She ordered.

Melinda pulled out a small lock pick kit and quickly applied the tools to the door lock.

"Do you always carry lock pick tools?" Jewel asked playfully.

"You never know when you'll need them." Melinda answered professionally as she quickly unlocked the front door.

Immediately once the door was opened an unpleasant aroma wafted out from the entry way. A glance inside showed the room was dank and Melinda led the way as they stepped inside. The smell of stale alcohol hung in the air. The apartment was dirty, with trash strewn across the table and counters, empty liquor bottles strewn about the room on every flat surface; coffee table, dining table, end tables, and even on the distressed couch and reclining chair.

Turning on the lights did little to dispel the dankness of the room as the window blinds were drawn shut tight and some of the lights appeared to be burned out.

Jewel followed Melinda past the open door of the filthy apartment bathroom, other less pleasant smells than stale booze emanating from within. She led to the apartment where they found John, Jewel's father, lying motionless upon the dirty bed linens.

Jewel gasped and covered her mouth. She was momentarily convinced that her father was dead until she heard him snore. Her sigh of relief was louder but not loud enough to wake the sleeping figure. John McLeod was apparently passed out drunk.

"What do you want to do?" Melinda asked, indicating Jewel's drunken father.

Jewel looked around the room and then again at her father sleeping as if dead to the world.

"We'll wait."

**

Jewel went out to the stoop and brought in the package of booze that had been delivered to her father's apartment.

She shut the door and then made a call to her household staff.

After that she opened up all he blinds to let in light, and then opened the windows to let in fresh air.

Thirty minutes later there was a knock on the door and Melinda opened it to reveal members of Jewel's household staff; her housekeepers. Jewel quietly directed them to thoroughly clean the apartment.

Despite it being beneath her station as countess, Jewel helped to clean by gathering all the empty liquor bottles and taking bag after bag of empties to the recycling bin. She stopped counting bottles after the first 100.

Her efficient staff worked quickly and gathered up all the laundry, scrubbed the kitchen clean, vacuumed the carpets and cleaned the floors. Scrubbed and disinfected the bathroom, dusted every surface, and even washed the windows.

The work went on for 3 hours and John slept through it all. Jewel and her staff even managed to change the bed sheets under John as he slept through everything, even the noise of the vacuum cleaner.

Once they were done Jewel thanked her staff profusely. She shocked some of them by giving them hugs of gratitude for their hard work before telling them to take the rest of the day off with pay.

Looking back after she closed the door behind her she noted with pride the immaculately clean apartment. It looked practically new as if it were on display for a new renter to come in and lease. Even the distressed couch and recliner looked better for having the stains removed and cushions fluffed.

Jewel noted the time and called her kitchen staff. She had them prepare food and deliver it to the apartment. When that arrived Jewel and Melinda sat at the small dining table and ate and talked.

Finally, Jewel heard the first stirrings of movement from her father's apartment bedroom. She looked over to see the disheveled, unkempt man she knew as her dad standing in the doorway to his bedroom with a look of confusion upon his face.

Confusion gave way to perplexity when he looked to Jewel and Melinda and the food set upon the table.

"Am I dreaming or dead?" He asked in a weak gravelly voice.

Despite all the time spent there that day Jewel was at a momentary loss for words.

The two of them simply stared at each other for several long seconds.

"Hello dad." Jewel finally managed.

**

It was exceedingly awkward at first. Melinda recused herself to the far side of the room where she could still watch and protect Jewel but not interfere with their reunion.

Stilting conversation eventually became less guarded and more relaxed as Jewel served her father the food her staff prepared. He looked as if he hadn't had a good meal in...forever. Jewel watched John as he ate. Neither one of them spoke while he did so. He still seemed to be in shocked disbelief to see her in his apartment.

After the meal their conversation awkwardly resumed until Jewel finally managed to steer the conversation to where she wanted it to be.

"I have thought long and hard about what must have happened. Why did you flee Allegoria...why did you run away? And knowing what I now know about Jean Claude...he tried to seduce you didn't he? Jewel asked the intensity of her curiosity evident upon her face.

John turned away from Jewel and could no longer look at her. Seconds passed and turned into minutes. Jewel waited.

"Yes." John said softly.

"So you ran away. That's why you fled. Not just discovering Jean Claude's kickbacks and embezzlements." Jewel deduced just as softly.

Mere seconds passed this time until John simply nodded his head yes.

Jewel looked at John...dad...he was the man I always wished I could be. Dad was my hero and I looked up to him, she thought.

So his world collapsed and he couldn't cope.

Drinking probably ruined his liver and dulled his intellect. He is dissipated.

Jewel felt let down. A few moments later she realized that she was not the first child to discover that her parents aren't perfect.

"Life certainly didn't turn out the way I planned it." John slurred.

"For me either." Jewel replied crisply.

Jewel noticed how her father's hands had begun to shake. He was looking surreptitiously around the apartment. His eyes seemed to focus when he saw the box of whiskey bottles that had been delivered earlier.

Jewel's heart broke inside her. Yet her inner strength and compassion raged back against the disappointment.

You don't just need to forgive him, you must also forgive yourself.

Jewel rose from the table and took one of the whiskey bottles. She went to the small galley kitchen, retrieved a clean glass, added ice and poured a shot of whiskey.

She handed the glass to her father.

"It's ok daddy." She whispered.

Jewel pondered her course of action. John's alcoholism will kill him eventually but by controlling his intake she could help prevent the DTs. She needed to control his urge to drink.

But she looked down upon her father she knew she would have to use him and his abilities as they were. She didn't have time to waste. Ideally she should send him to a clinic to recover from his alcoholism.

She would hire a specialist to provide treatment and over see his recovery from her home. Right now he may not be the best choice but she couldn't go to war with the army she wanted, she had to fight with the army she had. Jewel needed him for his prowess in financial forensics. She needed him to be at his best to help her find the evidence against Horace.

"I want you to come with me to my home. I will take care of you." She thought as he downed the glass of spirits.

John looked into Jules eyes...Jewel's eyes...they're so...expressive...and full of sympathy. John struggled to fight the feeling of shame that threatened to overwhelm him.

"And maybe you can help me as well." Jewel offered.

Hope and curiosity sparked inside John's eyes.

John nodded as he finished his drink. He'd help her if he could. She's such a good girl and good son.

**

Concierge medicine was wonderful. Finding a doctor to help her was easy when money was no object. The doctor, a nurse and an orderly were now safe and secure inside her home so they could monitor John and make sure he followed the path of recovery.

"I need your help." Jewel watched her father as he was slowly physically transforming before her back into the healthier and happier man she remembered as a child.

"With what?" John asked.

"I know for a fact that Dr. Inon and James are plotting to overthrow the nobility. I need you to find the proof."

"That could take months of painstaking research." John answered with reluctance. He had no love for the corruption that passed for noble rule in Allegoria.

"Not if you had administrators access." Jewel's smile told its own story. She was tired of being a plaything; a pawn in someone else's game. She opened up the program on her computer and showed it to her father.

Seeing the administrators' unrestricted access on the computer; John's predatory smile matched Jewels.

"We need to follow the money." John said with a smirk.

Jewel again swore she saw a spark in John's eyes. It occurred to her giving him something worthwhile to do and worthy of his skills, a challenge may be the best thing for his recovery.

Jewel smiled at her father as a seed of hope sprouted inside her.

**

John's investigation was frustratingly slow at first. Using administrator access to the banking security software would theoretically allow him to follow the money. Using some commercially available apps and some custom spreadsheet and mathematical modeling software John worked feverishly to uncover all he could about Horace's financial dealings.

It was all about the aggregation of information. Finding seemingly disparate clues and then putting them together to see the big picture, much like a puzzle without the box to show the finished product.

However, John also had to struggle with his alcoholism. There was no time to slowly wean off the alcohol. He couldn't quit cold turkey and suffer through the agony of detoxification either. He had a mission...to save his son.

Well...daughter now. John had failed Jules. He vowed not to fail Jewel. Jewel's wealth allowed her to hire concierge medical professionals. Under the care of a specialist in alcoholism and alcohol abuse John was being treated, but his treatment was rather unorthodox.

John was being given enough alcohol to stave of the DT's but not enough to become fully intoxicated or to black out. He was being maintained as a functional alcoholic. After he finds the 'smoking gun' to incriminate Horace, then they'd find the time to end his addiction, but until then, John had a mission.

Two weeks seemed an impossible deadline but using the software and a bit of social engineering John slowly penetrated the electronic paper trail. From his persistence and sleuthing skills John eventually found a weak node that led to an anti-royalist conspiracy group.

It was there that he was finally able to link Dr. Inon's name directly to the conspiracy. He worked further outward from there, following the financial paper trail until he, with Melinda's helps, finally penetrated Horace's careful security measures and was able to build a large and accurate picture of the intricate web of lies and deceit that Horace had constructed. By the end of the first week John was able to deduce Horace's plans.

However, the most concerning discovery for John was discovering that James McLeod was...is...Dr. Horace Jarrod Inon's right hand man.

There was no other way to say it...James, John's youngest son, fraternal twin to Jennifer and younger brother to Jewel was deeply embedded as Dr/ Inon's henchman. John's official license as a private investigator allowed him limited access to some police databases and access to police officials, but the most intriguing discovery were the payouts and palms that James had greased on Dr. Inon's behalf.

Once John and Melinda and Jewel's security staff had mapped all the payouts they quickly saw how wide the web of intrigue was spread. One unanticipated yet fortunate discovery was James' lackadaisical approach to computer security. Finding his hidden computers had ultimately made their penetration into the government servers possible.

Horace and James had somehow garnered access to a few accounts owned by other nobles and having their access they were able to find a few passwords and working inexorably inward from there had built their conspiracy to enslave and overthrow the nobility. John compiled a list of corrupted officials on Dr. Inon's payroll.

But there was one more thing that Jewel found personally distressing. James had penetrated Dr. Patricia Agonia's hypnotherapy patient files and had stolen a copy of Jewel's treatment history. James, for whatever reason, had been spying on Jewel.