Johnny Comes Marching Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,976 Followers

As they mingled with the other guests he came to realize that this was a gathering of Mandy's girlfriends and their boyfriends. As Mandy played the dutiful hostess he subtlety kept track of her. He noticed two things. One was that she didn't seem to be pleased with Gary's open flirting with the other women in the room. And the other was that she often looked at him with an expression that he couldn't read. She seemed to stay on the other side of the room, away from him and Susan, and he couldn't figure out why. He wondered if it was because he had brought a date, but that didn't add up as she was with Gary.

After they had been there for a couple of hours Susan excused herself to use the ladies room. The way the apartment was laid out the bathroom and the three bedrooms branched off of a hallway and weren't visible from the living room. Susan returned about ten minutes later and tugged at Johnny's arm pulling him to the side.

"What the hell is with that Gary guy? I thought he was Mandy's boyfriend?" she asked.

"Yeah, he is. Why?" Johnny replied.

"Well he just hit on me when I was in the hall."

He had noticed that Gary had slipped into the hallway shortly after Susan had left the room but really hadn't thought much of it. Now he looked over to where Gary was once again flirting with another of Mandy's friends. Gary looked back at Johnny and gave him a smirk. Johnny felt his anger grow but he didn't really see that there was much he could do without causing a scene and ruining Mandy's party. He considered taking Mandy aside and telling her about what Susan had said, but then again he wasn't sure that it was his place. He remembered their pledge to each other all those years ago to be best friends forever but she wasn't acting very friendly tonight. He wasn't sure that she wouldn't turn on him as the bearer of bad news.

The hardest part for him is that he wasn't used to being indecisive. The Army had taught him how to react and take control of a situation in the heat of battle but this was different. No one was shooting at him and he wasn't really sure about the battle lines.

Johnny and Susan stayed for another hour and she stayed close to him. Gary stayed on the other side of the room away from him as if he was wary of Johnny. He should be. As they were leaving Johnny and Susan stopped to thank Mandy for inviting them. Mandy in turn thanked them for coming. Just before they turned to go Johnny and Mandy stared at each other for a few seconds and again he couldn't fathom the look she gave him.

Johnny saw Susan to her door and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She didn't invite him in and he didn't press for anything more. While he wouldn't be against partaking of her favors, his mind was preoccupied with what had happened at the party.

Johnny didn't hear from Mandy for the next two weeks. He had visited her parents a couple times but they never really talked about her. Diane did ask if they had seen each other and he told her a couple of times but they were both busy with school. He was getting to the point that he was going to call Mandy and find out if she had a problem with him. Before he did though, he had an encounter with Gary.

He had taken a break from the books and hit one of the local restaurants that were dotted around the campus and mainly catered to the students. This one happened to serve a great roast beef po' boy. Here you ordered at the counter and then took your food to one of the booths that lined the side wall. Johnny had taken a seat in the back booth and had only taken a couple of bites when he noticed Gary coming in the door. He was with a girl and it wasn't Mandy.

Gary was obviously too wrapped up in flirting with the girl that he didn't notice Johnny in the back of the restaurant. They ordered their sandwiches and took a booth four up from his. They sat side by side with their backs to him. Johnny watched them talking with their heads close together and began to fume when they exchanged kisses. He lost his appetite and tossed the uneaten half of his sandwich into the handy garbage can and walked out. He didn't look at Gary as he passed and reckoned he didn't notice him.

Johnny returned to his apartment and continued to brood over what he had seen. That son of a bitch was obviously two timing Mandy but he already suspected that. He knew he should do something about it. He was still unsure about approaching Mandy directly and decided to talk with Diane and seek her advice. After all she was Mandy's mom. Johnny stopped by the McKuen's the next day after his classes. It was just Diane there as Frank was still at work. She had the natural instincts that most mothers have and could tell that something was bothering Johnny.

They sat in the living room and Johnny told her of the events, both at the party involving Susan and what he had witnessed at the restaurant. He also told her about having the feeling that there was some kind of strain on his relationship with Mandy. One he didn't understand.

"That son of a bitch," Diane snarled. Johnny was slightly taken aback at her language. "I knew he was no good. I've just been hoping that Mandy would realize it."

"The problem is I just don't know what to do about it. I don't want to see Mandy hurt and I'm afraid if I tell her what I know she will ending up hating me for it," Johnny said.

Diane looked at him and nodded her head. "You may be right, Johnny. Under the circumstances I think I should be the one to tell her. However she's going to want to know how I learned about this and I really don't see any other way than to tell her the truth. Can you deal with that?"

He thought it over and nodded. "Yeah, I can. She's too special to be treated like this and she may hate me either way but we have to do what's best for her."

Diane said she would call her daughter as soon as he left and have her come see her. She asked him to come back after his classes the next day and talk with her again. Johnny went back to his apartment and tried to study but finally gave up when he couldn't concentrate. He kept worrying about what would be the consequences from the Diane's talk with her daughter. He went to bed that night still very troubled. He wouldn't have been surprised if Mandy had come to his apartment and yelled at him for interfering, but she didn't.

He wasn't any better the next day. He thought he should have just skipped class as he didn't even hear half of what was said. As soon as he could, he headed back to his apartment for his car and drove over to talk to Diane. When he arrived she led him to the couch. She told him that Mandy hadn't taken the news well and had become furious and stormed out. She assured him that she knew her daughter and she would come around to understand that they were only acting from the heart and it was her they were concerned about. She suggested that for now it might be best if he didn't contact her. Johnny agreed with her and was just getting up to leave when the front door flew open and an irate Mandy stormed in.

"You son of a bitch. How dare you go to my mother and tell her that my boyfriend is cheating on me," she railed at him. She was standing in his face as she shouted. Even though Johnny was six inches taller than her he tried backing away from this angry hellcat.

"Mandy, you have no right to speak to Johnny like that," Diane admonished her daughter.

"Oh no. How would he like it if I went and told his mother that that slut he's sleeping with is screwing around on him."

"Amanda Lynn," Diane growled using her full name. "If you can't keep a civil tongue in your mouth you can just leave and not return until you can." Mandy just stared at her mother and suddenly burst into tears and sank to her knees. Her body shook as she sobbed into her hands. Acting on instinct both Johnny and Diane gently took her by the arms and lifted her up and sat her on the couch. Johnny remained standing, full of despair at the pain he knew Mandy was feeling. Diane sat next to her daughter and pulled her into her arms and began to console her.

When Diane looked up Johnny pointed at himself and then at the door telling her that he was going to leave. Diane shook her head no. Torn, Johnny remained where he was. Eventually Mandy's sobs slowed, then turned to just sniffles.

"Mandy, we need to straighten this out right now before you end up saying things that you will forever regret," Diane said softly to her daughter. Mandy didn't say anything but she stopped sniffling. "I want you to look inside your heart Mandy. Has Johnny ever done anything in your whole life to intentionally hurt you?" Mandy sniffled again but slowly shook her head no. "Do you think that he has changed so much that he would want to hurt you in anyway now?"

Mandy looked up slowly into Johnny's face and saw the pain and sorrow that was etched there. "No," she said loudly in answer to her mother's question. Mandy stood quickly from the couch and wrapped her arms around his chest and held on tight. "I'm sorry Johnny. I didn't mean to say those things."

Johnny gently put his arms around her and held her to him. "It's okay, Mandy. I know he hurt you. I'm sorry."

Mandy kept her head pressed sideways on his chest. "Actually I knew he was an asshole. I was going to dump him anyway. I just didn't everyone to know what a loser I am for dating him in the first place."

"Never say that, Mandy. You are not a loser. And no one who knows you would ever think that," Johnny said forcefully.

Mandy whispered, "Thank you." She released her hold on Johnny and Diane told her to go wash her face. Johnny sat back down next to Diane.

"What was Mandy talking about you sleeping with someone?" Diane asked him.

""A couple of weeks ago I went to Mandy's for a little party she had. I took my downstairs neighbor with me. We've kind of become friends but that's all. We aren't sleeping together."

Diane looked at Johnny and considered her daughter's reaction to his bringing a date to her party. She smiled a knowing kind of smile. 'Maybe there's still hope yet,' she thought. Mandy came back in the room looking contrite. Johnny, figured that if she had forgiven him that was the best he could have hoped for. He made an excuse that he had a test he really needed to study for and after one more hug from Mandy he left so she and her mother could talk.

On Friday Johnny found he was again able to pay attention in class. It felt like a great weight had been lifted off his shoulders. He was sorry for Mandy in that she had made a bad choice in selecting a boyfriend but that wasn't is fault. On the other hand he was happy that he did something to get the louse out her life and that though angry at first she had apparently forgiven him.

Saturday morning Johnny was debating going for a run or taking his clothes down to the laundry room. Before he could make up his mind there was a knock on his door. He opened it to find Mandy. She had a big grin on her face that made him happy to see. He stood back and invited her inside. As she entered he looked her over. She had her hair in a pony tail, a pink tee shirt and jean skirt. She was absolutely adorable.

"Hey bestest friend. Whatcha doin'?" she asked cheerfully.

"Well, I was pondering a great philosophical question. Whether to go for a run or do my laundry. But now that you're hear you can save from such heavy duty thinking," he said with a straight face.

Mandy giggled and gave him a big hug which he returned. "Actually I was thinking this would be a good day for a picnic and wondered if you would like to join me."

"Hmmmm," Johnny said as if pondering her question. "Let's see. Laundry, a boring run or going on a picnic with the prettiest girl I know. Geez, you sure no how make things complicated," Johnny teased.

Mandy slapped his chest. "Stop teasing me. Put your shoes on and let's go," she ordered.

"Ma'am, yes ma,am," Johnny replied with a salute and dodged another slap. Johnny pulled on his cross trainers and took Mandy's arm and led her downstairs. She insisted on taking her car as it already had the picnic basket in it and she knew just where she wanted to go. Johnny got in the passenger side and let Mandy drive. She headed out of town to a state park and they chatted as they drove. Mandy made no mention of her now ex-boyfriend and seemed to be pretty happy.

After they had parked, Johnny carried the basket and followed Mandy as she led him up on top of a bluff that had a nice panoramic view. Mandy laid out the blanket she had brought and they sat down to enjoy the day. It was the beginning of fall and the weather was perfect. The sky was blue with just a small cloud dotted here and there. They talked for awhile and then Mandy broached the subject she had been wondering about.

"What was it like over there?" she asked.

Johnny knew what she was referring to. He paused as he reflected on the time he spent in Iraq. "It's a lot different than here. There's a lot of good people that live there that are terrorized by factions of people who want to make everyone live by their rules." Mandy watched him as he talked. He was staring off into the distance as he recalled those days. "There were bad days and good days. You always had to be on your toes. But I served with some really good guys. We always looked out for each other. I wouldn't want to have to go back but I'm not sorry that I did."

"I really am glad you came home safe. I worried about you every day," Mandy said quietly.

Johnny looked at her and gave her a soft smile. Her words meant a lot to him. Mandy reached into the basket and started to bring out the food she had packed. She had a plate of various cheeses and one with cold cuts and a loaf of French bread. She also had packed a bottle of wine and two glasses. They ate in silence switching their gazes from the scenic view in front of them to looking at each other. At that moment there was no where else in the world Johnny would have rather been.

Johnny and Mandy spent another two hours on the blanket before returning to her car. They were quiet on the ride home. Johnny looked at Mandy several times and wondered what she was thinking. When they arrived back at Johnny's apartment Mandy got out and stood at the front of her car. He asked her if she would like to come up and was disappointed when she said she needed to get back to her apartment. Mandy didn't move right away but continued to look into Johnny's eyes before standing on her tiptoes and gently kissed his lips like she had done that day over three years ago.

"Thank you for today, Johnny. It really meant a lot to me," she said softly. Johnny fought the urge to pull her into his arms and kiss her with all the passion he felt. He nodded instead.

"It's been the nicest day I've spent in a long time," he said. Johnny waited until Mandy's car was out of sight before going upstairs. He went ahead and took his laundry down to the apartment laundry room. This was one of least favorite chores because of the time it took just sitting and waiting, but as his mind was on Mandy it seemed to hardly take any time at all.

Johnny neither saw or heard from Mandy the next two days. Tuesday afternoon around five she showed up at his apartment again. "Hey Johnny."

"Mandy! This is a nice surprise. Come on in,"

Mandy came in but she looked a little unsure of herself. "I rented a movie that I wanted to watch and, well, I was going to watch it at my apartment and, uh, well, there's there's too many girls over there and it get's a little noisy, and, well, I was kind of wondering..."

Johnny started laughing at her. "Mandy, I would love to watch your movie with you."

Mandy's face lit up and she gave him a grin. "I don't want to be a bother."

"It's never a bother to have you here. Listen, I was just going to make some spaghetti. Would you like to join me?"

"Yeah, okay."

Mandy followed Johnny into the kitchen. She watched him as he cooked up the meat for the sauce but stopped him when he went to add the herbs and spices. "Here, let me do this part and you cook the noodles," she said. Johnny gladly relinquished his spot and watched as Mandy added the tomato sauce and then added the seasonings the way her mother had taught her. When it was ready she and Johnny filled there plates and sat at the table. She watched him as he took his first bite and watched his eyebrows raise and he gave her a big grin.

"Wow, this is really good. It's your mother's recipe isn't it?"

Mandy nodded. "Yeah, I remember when we were kids you would almost eat yourself sick when she made her spaghetti."

Johnny laughed. "I don't know how your dad stays in shape. If your mother cooked for me every night I would weigh a ton."

They ate dinner and quickly cleaned the kitchen and then Mandy took a seat on the couch as Johnny started the movie. He sat next to her and even as the opening credits were rolling he wanted to put his arm around her and hold her close. Instead he just casually put his arm on the back of the couch behind her. Just being alone with her was more than he had hoped for a week ago. The movie seemed to end all too soon and Mandy said she better get home.

"Anytime you want to get away from party central my door is always open," Johnny said.

"It's more like hang out central. There's not really that much partying going on but when you get five or six women all trying to talk at once it can get noisy," Mandy said. Johnny opened the door for her and she gave him a quick kiss and hurried down the stairs. Johnny spent the rest of the evening whistling a happy tune.

Mandy came over again Thursday afternoon and asked if she could hang and and study as it was quieter at his apartment. And that's what they did. Both studied for their classes. It reminded Johnny of the days when they were in grade school and would do their homework together every afternoon. They again spent the day together on Saturday. Mandy talked him into going to and arts and crafts show, not that it really took any convincing on her part. Johnny was happy to just be with her.

Johnny spent Sunday alone with his thoughts. He had to admit what he had always known. He was in love with Mandy. Sure it had started as a childhood crush but somewhere inside he always knew that as every year they matured so would his feelings for her. He loved spending time with her and would never give that up but inside it hurt that he couldn't tell her how he really felt about her. He would rather face a thousand armed insurgents than risk losing her friendship by having her reject him.

Once again Mandy came over on Tuesday afternoon. This time she had no movie or books to study. She just said she would like to spend time with him. She had been there less than an hour when there was a knock on the door. Mandy looked at Johnny and he just shrugged his shoulders and went to answer the door. He found Susan on the other side.

"Hey, Johnny. Was just wondering if I could stop by. I'm bored and would like to have someone to talk to," she said.

Johnny was about to tell her he had company but figured what the hell. He and Mandy were only talking anyway. "Sure, come on in," he said.

Susan stepped inside but stopped when she saw Mandy sitting on the couch. Johnny was looking at Mandy and noticed she suddenly had a sour look on her face. "You two remember each other from the party, right?" Johnny asked.

"If you're busy I'll go," said Susan.

"No, no. We're just talking." Johnny took her arm and led her over to the couch and sat her down next to Mandy before she could protest. Johnny sat on the other side of Mandy. The conversation for the next fifteen minutes was stilted and uncomfortable for the two women. Johnny decided it was time to clear the air.

"Susan, the other day Mandy was wondering how many times you and I have had sex," he said with a smirk on his face.

Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,976 Followers