Jono's Journey Home Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Major, if you don't mind can you help me out with the protocol. Are we taking the King's vehicles, or will a motorcade be coming out from the embassy?"

"That is a very good question son; I got to see the fleet of vehicles that are assigned to you. You had to learn a whole bunch of new stuff."

"It was kind of hard to unlearn some stuff. I thought the guards were going to grab me by the scruff of my neck when I tried to get in the vehicle before Captain Hassan."

"How does this sound, we have you climb into the car last downstairs, right behind the General. Then you can jump over to the forward seat and give the General the honored position when we arrived at the embassy? Do you think the guards and the driver will accept that?"

"It works for me, and I think they'll understand it. If not they'll grind their teeth and tolerate it."

"Jono, you sound like you're learning leadership skills."

"Major, I may not like the circumstances, but one must rise to the occasion as needed. The hard part is that every member of my security detail out ranks me. It is good to speak for the King."

He tugged the braid on his sleeve. "Son that is the definition of a General's aide."

The phone rang Tamam answered. "The car is ready for you Jono."

We drove to the embassy without incident. I was the last out of the vehicle. The Marine guards saluted smartly for the officers. We were escorted into the reception hall to wait for the ambassador.

The General spoke, "Jono, you take point when summoned. Bryce and I will hold back a moment."

A staff member announced, "The Ambassador is ready to see you now."

The Ambassador snarled with a thick South Boston Irish accent, "So this is the young man who lives to make my life miserable. Airman please, for the love of Gawd volunteer to return wherever the hell you came from. The mission would benefit more from your absence."

The General's voice boomed from the doorway, "Wally, lighten up already."

"Buzz, I wasn't expecting you yet!" Clearly the two men knew each other.

"Wally, this dust-up is not my Airman's fault. Hell sir, he speaks more languages than all of us in the room combined." He dropped my file on the ambassador's desk. "Add to that the boy has been traveling throughout the region practically since before he could walk. Jono, do you have your passports?" I responded yes sir. "Let the ambassador review the THREE of them." I presented my well worn U.S. civilian passport, my maroon official travel passport, and my dog-eared and worn Saudi national passport.

"I am told the young man was instrumental in bringing aid to Kurdish refugees in Turkey. I shouldn't have to remind you, the host nation is also HIS second nation. Our government may not recognize his Saudi citizenship but theirs sure as hell does. He has more ties here than you do. I have bumped into four families who want to adopt him outright."

He paused as he looked at me. "Jono, you look white as a sheet, sit down. Mr. Ambassador, Please forgive the Airman, he probably didn't tell you he just had surgery today."

"I hope it's nothing serious Airman Banks."

"I had a small blockage removed it was restricting some of the blood flow to my legs. I was lucky; one of the surgeons just finished a fellowship with Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. The hospital was working on a new surgical procedure. I'm okay now. The doctor cleared me for light-duty, so long as I sit a lot. Thank you very much for your concern sir."

The five of us continue to chat for a half an hour. I believe we managed to assuage any concerns that the Ambassador still had. The Ambassador did ask if I would be willing to serve while I was in country as a translator, only when needed. I told him it would be my honor, and as one who wears a uniform it was part of my duty to make his job easier.

When we completed our discussions we still had a couple hours before the guests would start arriving. The Ambassador was kind enough to loan us the Marine Corps break room to break uniform and relax. I knew I would be standing at attention because there was no way on Earth I was taking off my jacket. Major Daniels, Captain Nelson, and Nessa were the first to remove their uniform jackets.

Then the general spoke, "Gentlemen, and Sergeant, I'm going to swear you to secrecy about what you're about to see." He took his jacket off and what I expected to see was the standard white mess dress pleated shirt. I was surprised to see, aside from the front panel, the collars and cuffs being white, the rest of the fabric was blue and covered with Tweety Birds wearing bomber goggles.

The Major and the Captain started to laugh. The Gunnery Sergeant passed each of them a hanger to hang their jackets and then approached me with a final hanger. I looked at him smiled and said I'm good. He persisted in his efforts to hand me a hanger.

The General finally looked at me and said, "Airman Banks remove your coat now!" Shit he made in order.

I removed my custom-made non-regulation mess dress jacket. The lot busted out laughing as they saw the full colored Tasmanian devil inner lining. I quickly put the jacket on the hanger and handed it to Gunnery Sergeant Terrell, who was smirking. Then he walked behind me to hang up the four jackets and saw the back panel of my shirt. I heard him stifle a snicker.

The General barked out another order, "Airman Banks about face!" I smartly we spun around, exposing the large Tasmanian Devil wearing a World War II bombers jacket and goggles on the back panel of my shirt. "Airman Banks it is not good to show up a three-star General but that's hilarious."

I could not at that time imagine a more embarrassing situation. I could feel the blush fade in my cheeks as I went from bright crimson back to pale white. The Gunny spoke in soft thick bayou Creole accent that screamed New Orleans. "You drink coffee Airman."

I replied back to him in Creole, "Only when I am awake, Gunny. Please, if you show me where the machine is I will get it for everyone." He thanked me for the offer and said it would be his pleasure. Nessa joined the officers in conversation.

He brought the officers their coffee and then sat down next to me with mine. Then he continued our discussion in Creole; I assumed he had a need for a degree of privacy.

"Airman, I understand you're something of an expert when it comes to local customs. I was wondering if I could pick your brain on a problem that I see developing with one of my Marines."

I replied, "Anytime Gunny." and took a sip of coffee and let out an, "Ah, good coffee."

"One of my guys has been dating a local girl. It is starting to look like it's getting serious. I want to head off any problems before they start."

"Please tell me it is with the family's knowledge and consent..." The Gunny shook his head no.

"I hate to tell you Gunny the problem has already arrived. If the girl's family does not know about the relationship and finds out, the girl will be disciplined very harshly. They may even seek criminal charges against our Marine. How on earth did they even meet in the first place?"

"He told me they met an unlicensed disco."

"He is playing with fire; families here do not screw around with family honor issues. If her father believes that she has done something to betray the family's honor they have the right to stone her to death. How old is this girl?"

The gunny shrugged. "Have they been intimate?" It earned me another shrug. "The safest course of action is for him to cut it off now. If he still wishes to pursue a relationship, he needs to do it right. He needs to know this is a long drawn out endeavor. Courtship can take months. Let him know I would be happy to help him do it right."

"I heard the officers call you Jono. What is that short for?"

"Jono is really the whole name, Gunny." As I wrote down the autovon and local numbers for my room. "If you need my help, I am here for you and your guys. Thanks to my brother, I have a soft spot in my heart for Marines."

The Gunny asked me to explain my comment. "My brother was killed by a drunk driver while he was on delayed enlistment; he had just received his orders to Parris Island. I think it broke the recruiter's heart when he told me last year the Marine Corps couldn't take me due to my injuries from the crash. I guess today has proven the Navy's doctors correct."

"Jono, doctors only PRACTICE medicine, what the fuck do they really know? Life has taught me a long time ago, it is not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. Your story made it to my side of the Gulf coast, I am so pleased to finally meet you. I have to go to review security for tonight. I'll send one of the guys up to tell you when the guests are starting to arrive. Take a nap you look like you could use it."

"Thank you Gunny." I drifted off as soon as my head hit the arm rest of the sofa.

I awoke to Captain Nelson tapping on my forehead. "Damn boy, you can fall asleep in a heartbeat!"

"Please tell me it wasn't snoring." He and Nessa chuckled at me. "Where did the General and Major disappear to sir?"

"Guests started arriving about thirty minutes ago, they went down to schmooze. General Mallory was concerned about you. He gave orders you not be disturbed until the King's entourage was inbound."

I took the hint. I jumped up off the couch a bit too fast the Captain grabbed my arm as the room spun. "Slow down Jono. He is still at least fifteen minutes out." I reassembled my uniform, and replied ready to go sir. "You still look a bit pale, are you sure you're okay?"

"I am good; it takes me a couple days to purge fucking meds. "I'll be a bit more dizzy than normal. Is Captain Hassan here yet?" With a smile and an affirmative nod we set out to join the party.

The entry hall was packed with uniforms and diplomats in formal wear from every NATO member nation. Nessa held my arm as we descended the stairway behind Captain Nelson. The first people we met at the base of the stairs were the French and Germany contingents.

Polite insult based humorous quips bounced off each other as we made the rounds. The British and Belgian Ambassadors were discussing the inadequacy of each other's contribution to the Saudi people was. Of course all of the damned childish behavior was cloaked in diplomatic gentle speak.

My heart leapt when I saw my Tamam. He was standing with Reza and Najibullah. Reza was chatting with a cute Dutch Lieutenant. Tam greeted me as Airman Banks. Najib grasped my arms and greeted me. "Najib, it is so good to see you. I take it you have met Captain Nelson."

"It is good to see you again Benjamin. Who is this beautiful flower, Jono?"

"Najib, may I introduce Sergeant Vanessa Gilmore my supervisor and surrogate big sister. Sergeant Gilmore, this is Prince Najibullah Hassan, he is one of the few lawyers I have any respect for."

Nessa dropped her eyes as she replied, "Jono's praises are hard won, and it is my honor to meet you Sir."

"Jono, I may have news for you this weekend about your father's estate. With your permission I would like to investigate." I knew there were no monetary holdings of any value, if there were the state would have taken them as well. "Najib, I appreciate your diligence on my behalf, I just do not know how I will pay you for your time."

"Jono, this is my joy to help you."

Gunnery Sergeant Terrell approached with an urgent look on his face. "Airman Banks the Ambassador was wondering if he could impose upon you to translate for him." He dropped his tone, "My staff translator just went UA. Add to that the Official State Department's translator is home on emergency leave."

I sensed the possibility of a connection and asked Najib if he would look after Sgt Gilmore. As the Gunny and I walked towards the Ambassador I asked, "Would our missing translator perhaps be a certain love sick leather neck?"

The Gunny replied, "I extended your warning and offer to help. I thought he was good, right up until he jumped the fence." Seconds later we arrived at the Ambassadors side.

"I hope you don't mind this imposition Airman, but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place."

"Mr. Ambassador, I am not on my 'A' game but will do my best sir."

"That is all I ask." I took my place to his left and a half step behind. We made the circuit of the room; chatting and joking amiably with the other diplomats and guests. I loved the ambassadors' dry wit. After about twenty minutes I noticed the Gunnery Sergeant making a gesture to the Ambassador. He whispered to me, "The King was just cleared through the gate."

We made our way to the entry hall and wait at the arrival. I turned to the Ambassador and said in low tone, "The King has been treating me as extended family. I do not know who he will greet first. I don't even know which role he will acknowledge me; as his family member, his ally, or your translator."

"Thanks for the heads up Jono. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that the dumb-ass Marine went UA today. It would truly have been embarrassing if he walked through the door and walked past me to greet you. This at least gives the appearance of diplomacy."

I drew in a deep breath and let out a sigh.

"I promise Jono, I'll get you seated as soon as possible. I know you have had a long day. I have to admit I did like the way you were joking with both the French and Danish ambassadors in their own tongue at the same time. More than a few of our allies have admired your skill, wondering if you were a permanent addition to the staff."

"Thank you very much for your kind words Mr. Ambassador. In three years when my enlistment is done who knows, maybe I will decide to make my home here in the Kingdom. At that time I'll be looking for good employment."

"Jono, you know you may be blunt, but you are honest. It's good to know where a man stands. I can still call on you on occasion while you're here?"

"It would be my pleasure Mr. Ambassador." Our quick discourse was interrupted as the horns let loose with Pomp and Circumstance.

The King had arrived. His eyes locked on to me. I took a half step further back from the Ambassador to communicate my desire. He greeted the Ambassador warmly and I translated his words of welcome.

The King then greeted me. "The doctors told me, your procedure went well. My heart is filled with joy that you are with us tonight, but I believe you are not to over exert yourself. You are very pale my little friend."

"My King, his Excellency the Ambassador needed my skills tonight. With so many different tongues floating around it was easier to have one translator near him to greet all of his guests, than a team of ten or twenty. You have my word, I will rest my King." He chuckled with the image and kissed my cheeks.

The King and his entourage moved down the receiving line. I felt the ambassador's hand on my back. "I followed most of what you said, well done. Thank you for not telling the whole truth about why we needed you."

"I will never let you appear weak sir." We followed along the reception line and guided the King and his fighter pilot son to the head table. The ambassador gestured towards what was my seat I stood by it until he and the King sat. My heart sank as I saw how far I was from Tamam. On the upside it looked like Najib and Vanessa were hitting it off.

"Are you okay Jono?" The Ambassador whispered.

I came up with a good half truth and whispered back, "I have not been more than a few steps from my security detail since we found out someone wanted to kill me. I have had to adjust my thinking in the last forty-eight hours. Having them all the way across the room I suddenly feel, a little naked."

The King overheard my comment and replied, "My son Usef is armed, and the Marine standing right behind you is armed. You are very safe."

His son chimed in, "Look how Captain Hassan's eyes are sweeping the room, looking for threats."

I chuckled, "Papa Omar would never forgive him if I was harmed."

The Ambassador asked with a puzzled look, "Papa Omar?"

"Omar Hassan, I guess you could say he has been following me my whole life. He was one of the first people who held me when I was born. He stood with my parents when they were told I was not expected to survive the night. He is the closest thing I have had to family for a very long time. Then I started meeting the people who served with my father, and my family has grown even larger still. Sorry sir I'm babbling."

The Ambassador replied, "You're not babbling, you're answering my question."

I sank into the background and continued translating for the powerful men assembled at the table for several hours.

After what I dismissed as a long blink, I felt a hand on my throat and a familiar voice echoed in my ears, "Are you okay Airman? JONO!" It was Tamam. The Gunny was checking my pulse.

I shook the fog from my head, "Two things I have to know. How long was I out? Please tell me I was not drooling." A nervous chuckle went up from the table. "I am so sorry gentlemen. This was not an indictment of your conversation; it has just been a very long day. Let me get a cup of coffee and I'll be good to go."

Tamam replied, "NO! Airman Banks coffee will not do, I am taking you back to the hospital."

"Please Sir; I spent eight months in a hospital. I have no desire to go back to one unless I am dying."

The General interceded, "Jono, I know for a fact you have been up since very early this morning. Add to that I doubt you've had anything to eat before this meal tonight. Today you have had surgery, you've been put under general anesthesia, and you've been under more stress than most of us in this room. Son you're off duty for the next forty-eight hours. Report to your hotel room get at least eight hours of sleep. I will see you for breakfast in the morning."

He turned and addressed Reza, "Prince Hassan, I understand you're in studying medicine in Germany; would you look in on Airman Banks through the night? If his condition deteriorates, call for the ambulance. Airman Banks, that is as far as I'm willing to go on this issue. My baby brother spent six months in a burn ward. I know how much he hates hospitals, I can empathize."

"Thank you sir, I'll head back to the hotel. I'll send the limos back for you."

The Gunny spoke, "Don't worry about the General or anyone else. The embassy has a fleet of limos; I will take care of them. You just get yourself well Airman."

Najib spoke up, "I will bring Captain Nelson and Sergeant Gilmore back for you."

I again apologize for disturbing the dinner, and was whisked swiftly out the front door with Reza into the limo. I don't remember the trip from the car to the suite. Reza helped me change from my mess dress into my blue silk jammies and tucked me in. I didn't get much sleep because every thirty minutes Reza would disturb me to check my vitals. Hours later when Reza came in again to check my vitals; I looked over in the corner of the room and saw Tamam sleeping on the chaise lounge.

When Reza left, I climbed out of bed and curled up with him. He stirred, "You should not be out of bed, Jono."

"Neither should you my love. My place is by your side, if you will not come to my bed, I must come to you. I do realize I am impulsive, but you can trust in my weakened state, I will not take advantage of you while you sleep."

"I will take your word Jono." With that he swept me up like a rag doll and carried me back to bed. I snuggled hard against him. It just felt right when he kissed my forehead. He was telling me without a single word; I love you, I will care for you, and you are mine. I felt very cared for and very safe as he wrapped his massive arms around me. The events of the day finally overtook us and we drifted into a deep sleep.

- Continued