Journey to Year 1,000,000,000 Ch. 04

Story Info
The crew gets captured by aliens in the year 8,000,000.
8.2k words
4.62
4.5k
7
Story does not have any tags

Part 4 of the 23 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 03/14/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Journey to the Year 1,000,000,000

By Gary L.M. Martin

[Note: This is a Science Fiction story with some erotic scenes. It is not a story with erotic scenes in every chapter. Some chapters have incredible sex scenes, but many others have none.]

(Previously....)

"Captain Taylor!" a deep voice rumbled.

Taylor looked around. The voice seemed to be coming from everywhere, and nowhere.

"Yes? I am Taylor."

"My name is Arnack. I am speaking to you from the floating city of Chanda. We are a race of beings called the Ascended. We have been monitoring your situation ever since you arrived. You seek a missing crewmember, do you not?"

"Yes," said Taylor. "Do you know where he is?"

"Not at present. But we can help you find him. It would be of benefit if we could confer together."

"I would like that," said Taylor.

"Our city has landing facilities big enough for your ship, your Devonshire. Come and dock with our city's landing port, and we would happy to have you for a visit."

Taylor paused, carefully counting to ten. His first instinct was to accept. But then he remembered his instinct to trust the people on the planet, and where that had led him. He took a deep breath. "I appreciate your generous offer, Arnack. Right now I am on a mission of mercy. Let me return to my ship with the bodies of two crewmembers we recovered, and talk to my officers. Then I will respond to your offer."

"Very well," said Arnack. "We also are aware of your greater mission, and perhaps can help you with that as well."

Taylor grew excited. Now he would have to visit these people, these Ascended.

But first things first.

An hour later Taylor was sitting in the Devonshire's briefing room, around a table with Elizabeth, Victor, Jennifer, Doctor McCrae, and Bill Carey, his second officer.

A holoimage of the floating city appeared on the center of the table.

"There's that missing link we've been looking for," said Victor, indicating the floating city.

"Just because they have advanced technology doesn't mean they themselves are advanced," said Elizabeth.

"You didn't hear the conversation I had," said Taylor. "They are advanced, of that I have no doubt. The question is, can they be trusted?"

"Trusted?"

"We thought the population on the planet surface was safe. Then it turns out that some of them turned into emotion draining vampires," said Taylor. "Who is to say that these Ascended are really friendly? For all we know, they goaded the local population to attack us."

"To what end?" Victor asked.

"To manipulate us into bringing the ship to their city," said Bill Carey. "Maybe they want to grab the Devonshire."

"Exactly my thought," said Taylor. He met Carey's eyes, and gave him a slight nod.

"Why would an advanced race want a spaceship with technology that would be eight million years old?" Victor asked.

"To put it into a museum. Who knows?" said Taylor.

Victor smiled. "Michael. I can understand how the situation on the planet is making you feel cautious. But we have to interact with these people, if only to find out what they know about the Black Box."

"I agree," said Taylor. "Which is why I'm going to meet them. Alone."

"Alone?" said Jennifer Hale disbelievingly.

"I'll take a shuttle," said Taylor. He turned to Jennifer. "If I don't return in three hours, head into the Black Box, and keep looking for the source of the disturbance."

"Sir, we won't leave you behind," said Jennifer.

"She speaks for me too," said Lieutenant Carey.

"I quite agree, Captain," said Elizabeth.

"That's one, two, three votes against my plan," said Taylor. "Fortunately, this is not a democracy. I am in command here. I leave in thirty minutes."

He got up and left, leaving a room full of startled people.

********

Taylor returned to his quarters to get ready. He checked the charge on his concussion pistol, nodded approvingly, and put it in his holster. He heard a buzz at his door.

"Come in, Jennifer," he said.

The door opened and Jennifer Hale entered. "You know me so well," she said.

"That I do," said Taylor, adjusting his collar as he looked at her.

"Just as I know you," she said. She looked up at him. "Take me with you, Captain."

Taylor laughed. "Was that a joke?"

"No joke," said Jennifer.

"A Captain bringing his first officer into a dangerous situation makes no sense," said Taylor.

"It makes perfect sense," she said, looking into his eyes. "There was a time when a Captain brought his first officer into a dangerous situation, and saved his life. Or don't you remember?"

********

The time had been almost over a year ago, shortly before Taylor had met Pam, when he was in command of the merchant ship Westerner and Jennifer had been his first officer. There had been a problem with the water reclamation system on the ship. A tank had been ruptured and they had lost two thirds of their water supply. They could make it back to Earth, with strict rationing, but Jennifer pointed to a moon of Sirius IV they were passing close by to that had fresh water.

"I could go down there with a shuttle and get us enough to take us off strict rationing," she said.

"Why you?" Taylor asked.

"Because... I'm the best pilot on this ship," she said.

"Second best, if even that," said Taylor.

"You flatter yourself, Captain," she said, giving him a sly smile. From anyone else, it would have been insubordination. But from Jennifer, it was a flirtation.

"Do I?" He loved her smile. "Let's find out. We'll both go down. I'll fly us down, and you take us back, and then we'll see who's the better pilot."

Roger Talent, the second officer, said, "Is that really wise to put both of you in the same shuttle, sir?"

Jennifer reddened and hastily turned away.

"I mean, if something happened to the shuttle-"

"The second moon of Sirius IV is uninhabited. There's nothing to worry about," said Taylor. "You're in command, Mr. Talent."

As it turned out, however, there was something to worry about. The second moon of Sirius IV generated irregular electromagnetic storms rapidly, and without warning.

The shuttle got caught in one of them, and crash landed on the planet. They tried to call for help, but couldn't pierce the interference.

There was a cold wind blowing and they found shelter in a nearby cave. As they made their way there, Taylor felt his hand get pricked by a nearby flower. "Ow!" he cried.

"What is it?" Jennifer asked.

Taylor looked at the drop of blood on his finger. "It's nothing."

But it wasn't nothing. He had been infected with an alien virus. That night he developed a terrible fever.

There was nothing Jennifer could do for him. None of the medicines from the emergency kit seemed to bring down his temperature. Taylor felt like he was burning up. For two days and two nights he suffered.

"I'm not going to last much longer, Jennifer," he rasped. His body was dripping sweat.

"Don't say that," said Jennifer, mopping his forehead with a cloth. "Of course you will."

"No," said Taylor, shaking his head. "It's been two days and we haven't been rescued. It must be the elecromagnetic interference... breaking up sensor readings. It may be weeks before they find us. I... I don't have that long, Jennifer."

"Don't be silly, of course you do," said Jennifer, feeling anxiety building up inside. Taylor was in a terrible state. His eyes were red, his pulse was rapid, and he was burning up with terrible fever.

"No," Taylor rasped. He lay sitting on the cave floor, his back propped against a wall.

Jennifer felt a panic grip her. "You're going to make it. You have to make it!"

"Why?" said Taylor, grinning hollowly.

"Because... because I love you," said Jennifer.

Taylor's mind was foggy, but not that foggy. "You... you do?"

"Yes," she said. She leaned down and pressed her lips against his. It was the best kiss he had ever felt, soft and warm and moist.

"Live," she whispered, as she pulled back.

Taylor looked into her eyes. "I... I will try, Jennifer."

*********

And then, the next morning, they were rescued.

"The EM interference... how... how did they find us?" Taylor rasped, as two crewmembers lifted him into a portable stretcher.

"Silly Captain," said Jennifer, stroking his arm. "You forget. We're the Survey Service."

We're the Survey Service.

Three days later, Taylor was fully recovered. But an awkwardness remained between him and his first officer. He decided, with typical brashness, to resolve it directly. Taylor invited Jennifer over for dinner in his quarters. Normally, that would be an improper thing to do, but Jennifer accepted. She dressed in civilian clothes, but picked an outfit which downplayed rather than highlighted her ripe melons. That should have been a sign, but Taylor chose not to see it.

As they ate dinner, Taylor said, "You know... you said something to me in the cave."

"I remember," said Jennifer, trying to remain calm.

"Did... did you mean it?"

Jennifer looked at Taylor for a long moment. Then she said, "Yes... yes, I did."

Taylor took her hand, and started to stroke it. "So... then maybe...."

"But, Michael, you're forgetting something," said Jennifer. "Michael. My Michael. My husband."

"I'm not forgetting anything," said Taylor resolutely.

"I love him," said Jennifer. "I love him dearly, Michael."

"Oh," said Taylor, looking incredibly disappointed. He pulled his hand back.

Jennifer desperately reached forward and grabbed his hand back, and started to stroke it again. "But I want you to know... I want you to know that if not for Michael, if I weren't married...."

"Yes?"

Jennifer nodded. "I would. With you. In a minute," she said.

And somehow, that made it all better. Almost. "Can we still... be friends, after this?" Taylor asked, not at all sure what he was asking.

"Of course," said Jennifer, her voice showing relief.

"Good friends?" Taylor asked.

"The best," said Jennifer, and she reached over and kissed him on the cheek, as she thoroughly friend-zoned Taylor. Then she got up and went to the door. "Goodnight, Captain."

********

That had been 14 months ago, but Taylor remembered every detail as if it had been yesterday. And now Jennifer was staring earnestly at him again.

"You need me with you sir. To watch your back. Again."

Jennifer's meaning was clear. She was calling in his debt to her, for saving his life.

Taylor slowly nodded. He could hardly refuse her. He owed her that much, for what had happened in the cave.

"Thank you, Michael!" she said, and she suddenly reached up to give him a hug.

He watched her with sad eyes as she turned and left.

Five minutes later, Taylor was in Bill Carey's orders. "You're in command, Mister Carey."

"What?"

"I'm taking Jennifer with me."

"You... and the first officer? That makes no sense, sir," said Carey.

Taylor had to agree. But he couldn't explain it to Carey. And since he was Captain, nor did he have to.

"You're in command," he repeated. "If we are not back in three hours, head for the Black Box." He saw Carey frown. "What's wrong, Mr. Carey? You have told me in so many ways that I'm not suited for command. I've never commanded a warship. You've been a first officer on one. This one. Doesn't the potential change in command please you?"

"Not in this way, sir," said Carey.

Taylor put a hand on Carey's shoulder. "We're Survey Service officers, Bill. We do what we're told. Just remember, you're not to come after us. Under no circumstances are you to approach that city with the Devonshire."

Carey nodded.

********

"It's beautiful," Jennifer said.

He and Jennifer were once again alone in a shuttle. Taylor realized it was the first time he and Jennifer had been alone in a shuttle, since... since.....

Taylor looked at the floating city from the cockpit windows. It had gleaming towers made of crystalline mineral that reflected the light of the sun in brilliant ways. It was certainly of advanced construction.

Taylor saw landing pads on the far side of the city. Some were large enough to accommodate the Devonshire. He landed the shuttle at a smaller one.

"This is it," said Taylor, taking a deep breath. "Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," said Jennifer, running a hand over her uniform.

Taylor opened the shuttle hatch, and they came face to face with two Ascended ones.

Humanity had evolved.

They had bodies, and two arms and two legs, though they were taller and thinner than their own. But it was their heads that had changed the most. Their foreheads were taller, as if the brains inside of them occupied more space.

And their eyes... their eyes were bigger as well. Much bigger. Almost as big as egg yolks. It was startling, staring into them. They felt powerful, almost hypnotic.

"Greetings," said the one on the left. "My name is Arnack. I am a third keeper of the circle of Trilesta. My companion is Senderock, also a third keeper."

"Hello," said Taylor uncertainly. Those eyes! "I am Captain Michael Taylor of the United Survey Service ship Devonshire. This is my first officer, Lieutenant Jennifer Hale."

"A female," said Senderock. There was something in his tone that Taylor didn't quite like.

"Do you not have females here?" Taylor asked.

"Of course," said Senderock. "We still reproduce the same way you do. Come! Let us show you our wondrous city."

"We'd like that," said Taylor.

As they strode on walkways between magnificent buildings made of crystal, Taylor said, "So you know who we are and where we are from... and when?"

"Yes," said Arnack. "You are not the first we have met from eight million years in the past."

Taylor exchanged an excited glance with Jennifer.

"Was it the Aurora? The Exeter? Or the Judicator?"

"The Aurora," said Arnack, giving a ghost of a smile.

The Aurora. The science ship, under the command of-

"Captain Margaret Astor," said Arnack.

"Can you read our minds?" Taylor asked.

"Of course," said Arnack. "Do not be concerned. Your mission is known to us. We are here to help."

"What happened to the Aurora?"

"Let us talk more in comfort."

Arnack and Senderock took them to a lounge, and offered them refreshments, which looked like the red cubes Juci was eating on the planet. Taylor and Jennifer respectfully declined.

"What has happened here in eight million years?" Taylor asked. "There seems to be a split in evolutionary development."

"Quite right," said Arnack. "As technology advanced, fewer and fewer people needed to work. A huge consumer class was created. At the same time, the technology became more and more complicated to repair. A situation arose where a tiny percentage of the population was engaged in maintaining and perfecting the technology, while the vast majority of the population simply consumed it. We call this vast majority the Lowers."

Taylor frowned.

"Because they live below us. It is not a value judgment, believe me," said Arnack. "Since Lowers had no need for intellectual development, over the millennia their intellectual abilities started to fade away. They became the simpler creatures that you see now. At the same time they did develop more sensory apparatus to enable them to increase their pleasure."

"You mean those suction cups? The ones that come out when they suck people's emotions from them?"

"Precisely," said Arnack. "Most Lowers use their abilities responsibly, but as you have seen, some do not."

"And meanwhile, your people, up here in the clouds...."

"We have further developed our intellectual abilities, of course," said Arnack. "Not only has our intelligence increased several fold, but we have developed useful telepathic and telekinetic abilities."

"You can move things with your mind?" Jennifer said.

Arnack lifted a plate of red cubes into the air without touching it, and lowered it. "Of course."

"Do you coexist peacefully with the... Lowers on the planet?"

"Of course. But for obvious reasons we limit contact with them," said Arnack. "We simply do not relate well to them, for obvious reasons."

"What about the children?" Jennifer asked. "They seem to make their children appear and disappear at will."

Senderock gave a sinister smile. "Those were not children."

"They weren't?"

"They are merely constructs."

"Robots?" said Taylor.

"Not as I understand your use of the term. They are biological constructs."

"Eliz--one of our scientists scanned them, and said they were human," said Taylor.

"On a superficial level, but they have no self-awareness," said Arnack.

"Why would the... Lowers prefer to have fake children?" Taylor asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" said Arnack. "Rearing children is very labor intensive. Children require constant supervision. They cry. They soil themselves. They complain-"

"The children," said Jennifer suddenly. "Captain, the child we saw. She was perfectly well behaved. And the baby--it didn't cry. These aren't real children; they are simulations of perfectly behaved children."

"Precisely," said Arnack. "That is why they are so popular with the Lowers. They require no supervision, always are eager to please, and will go away when they become tiresome."

"But... doesn't anyone want to have real children?" Taylor asked.

"Of course," said Arnack. "And some do."

"But not enough to replace the existing population," said Senderock. "There are an estimated 200 million Lowers in the world, down from a population high of 32 billion. Perhaps one out of four have a child, not enough to replace those who exist. Within a few thousand years, the Lowers will cease to exist."

"And you're happy about that?" Jennifer asked.

Arnack shrugged. "We bear them no malice. But we really have no use for them."

"No use for them?" Jennifer asked. "You give them their machines, and their entertainment, and their artificial children. You make things easy for them so they will choose this path."

"Is not the definition of evolution one where the stronger survive, and the weaker fail?" Arnack asked. "We are hardly being as aggressive as our ancestors. We are killing no one. The choice is theirs."

Jennifer gave Taylor an alarmed glance.

Taylor decided it was time to change the subject. "What about the Black Box... the time tunnel above the Earth. Are you responsible for it?"

"No," said Arnack. "We noticed it appeared some years ago. From our perspective, it is a unidimensional tunnel to the future. We sent a ship in to investigate it."

"And what happened?"

"It failed to return," said Arnack.

Taylor stared at Arnack's large eyes. "Is it stable at your end?"

"Stable?"

"Are any shockwaves coming from it?"

"No," said Arnack.

"There are stronger and stronger shockwaves coming out in our time," said Taylor. "We are worried that it is eventually going to destroy the Earth."

"Well, you needn't worry about that," said Arnack, smiling broadly.

"What do you mean?"

"You forget, Captain Taylor. You are on the Earth now, eight million years later. The Earth is still here, so obviously the phenomenon could not have destroyed the Earth in your own time. Your mission, it seems, has been a success."

Taylor looked at Jennifer. "But... we didn't do anything."

"Perhaps nothing needed to be done."

"But our scientists said-"

"Forgive me, Captain Taylor, but from our perspective, your scientists have only a very limited understanding of such matters. Rest assured, the Earth was not destroyed. Our presence here proves it," said Arnack.