Journey to Year 1,000,000,000 Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And what of the Aurora?" Jennifer asked.

Arnack stared at her with those big egg yolk eyes. "Captain Margaret Astor. I remember her well. She and her crew were most welcome here."

"What happened to them?" Taylor asked. Suddenly, it felt like Arnack was being evasive.

"They visited with us for a time and left. I can only presume they reentered what you call the time tunnel to find the source of the phenomenon."

"How long ago was that?"

"Oh... some twelve years ago."

"They must have come out of the Black Box earlier than we did," said Taylor. Suddenly, his wristcom beeped. "Excuse me a moment." He activated it. "Yes?"

Lieutenant Carey's voice came out of it. "Sir, it's been two hours, just checking in."

Taylor remembered he had given Carey a three hour deadline. "Everything is... fine here, Lieutenant. The natives are friendly."

"Will you be returning to the ship soon?"

Arnack gestured for his attention. "Captain Taylor, we would once again love to invite your entire crew to come and visit. There is much about our society which might interest you."

"Yes," said Taylor. Then he remembered Elizabeth, who had said the exact same thing about the people on the planet, before matters took a turn for the worse. He paused, glanced at Jennifer, and said, "Bill, forget about the time limit I said before. I think we are safe here. Jennifer and I are going to spend a few more hours here. Then we will discuss shore leave for the crew."

There was a pause. "Are you sure you're all right, sir?"

"Perfectly sure," said Taylor. "I'll be in touch. Captain out." He closed the transmission.

Arnack smiled. "I can understand your caution, Captain, given your regrettable experience on the planet surface. But I assure you we are quite peaceful, here in the clouds."

"I believe it," said Taylor. "But before I bring my crew here, I want to learn a little more about your society. But first, I have an overriding priority."

"Your missing crewman. Of course," said Arnack. There was something about his smile, in combination with his giant eyes, that Taylor found disconcerting. "We have been scanning the planet surface continually for him. Be assured it will only be a matter of time before we locate your missing man."

"Perhaps we will even locate him by the time you leave us," said Senderock, smiling.

Taylor looked at Jennifer, who nodded. "Well in that case... we can stay a while longer."

"Good. Would you be interested to know what we have achieved in eight million years?"

"Very much so," Taylor said.

For the next two hours Taylor and Jennifer sat there, amazed.

Humanity had colonized hundreds of other worlds, far beyond the handful of colonies established by the Survey Service. Scientists had detected other dimensions, 23 of them, to be exact, and opened gateways into two of them.

They were taken to an observatory, which showed a holographic display of the solar system.

The gas giants Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune had been solidified, made habitable, and moved closer to the sun. One planet, however, was missing.

"What happened to Venus?" Taylor asked.

"We destroyed it," said Arnack.

"Why?"

"It was blocking our view of Mercury."

Taylor looked at Arnack. With those giant egg yolk eyes, he couldn't tell if the alien was making a joke.

But then Arnack laughed. "Venus is over there, Captain!" he said, pointing to another area.

Taylor saw it now.

"Wait a minute," said Jennifer. "Did you just say you have solidified Jupiter and Saturn, and moved them closer to the sun?" Jennifer asked. "Are my ears hearing this properly? How did you manage all this?"

Arnack smiled. "It would be very difficult to explain, Lieutenant Hale."

"Try me," said Jennifer.

Arnack sighed, and considered a moment, then spoke again. "Lieutenant, if you were to explain how the propulsion system on your vessel works to a man even a thousand years from your past, how successful would you be?"

Jennifer considered. "Probably not very."

"We are not talking about a thousand year gap in technology, but eight million years," said Arnack. "Believe me when I say that we have done this."

"I believe you," said Jennifer earnestly.

"Good," Arnack smiled, and again, there was something Taylor didn't like about the way he smiled at her. Maybe it was those big eyes. Arnack's were blue, and Senderocks's were brown, but they were both big. Too big. It felt like those eyes were undressing Jennifer.

"But above all our technological achievements we prize the development of the mind," said Arnack. "We value intellectual development above all things. We have circles of development in all the fields of sciences, many of which did not even exist in your time. Some you might recognize could roughly be analogized to physics, chemistry, and energy."

"And what is your specialty?" Taylor asked.

Arnack and Senderock exchanged glances. "Animal behavior. Senderock and I are third keepers of the circle of Trilesta."

"Animal behavior?" said Taylor.

"I can see you are insulted. Please do not be," said Arnack. "I ask you again, how would you view mankind from eight million years in your past?"

"In our past, mankind was primates. Monkeys," said Jennifer.

"Exactly," said Arnack. "And now that we have answered some of your questions, may we ask a few of our own?"

"All right," said Taylor cautiously.

"It is so rare that we get to meet ancestors from eight million years in our past. We have so many things to ask."

"Didn't you ask them of the crew of the Aurora?" Taylor asked.

"Yes. But they were not with us for very long," said Senderock. Something about the way he said that made Taylor feel uncomfortable.

"We are most interested in the concept of restraint," said Arnack.

"Restraint?"

"What differentiates us most from the Lowers on the planet surface is the concept of restraint," said Arnack. "Over the millennia, the Lowers have lost all ability to restrain themselves. If they want food, they eat it. If they want sex, they have it. If they want a child, or an entertainment, or to drain someone of emotion--they simply take whatever they want. We have found that this lack of restraint is inversely correlative with intellectual development. Intellectual development requires one to show tremendous restraint. After all, to make scientific progress one must forgo entertainment of all kinds for long periods of time to focus exclusively on one's work. That kind of determination, that kind of focus, is missing from the Lowers. Your species, from which we are all descended, is somewhat in between us and the Lowers. We would be very interested to conduct a physical examination of the both of you to determine precisely how your physiology differs from the Lowers."

"A physical examination?" Taylor said.

"It would be completely painless, and there would be no risk to yourselves," said Arnack.

Taylor looked at Jennifer. She shook her head minutely.

"I appreciate your scientific interest, but we will have to decline your offer, for now," said Taylor. "Perhaps, after our crewman is recovered, we will reconsider."

These people seemed nice enough. They seemed friendly. But an examination? There was something about their eyes. Something about their tones. Something that Taylor instinctively didn't trust. And they were animal researchers. Taylor didn't want to feel like an animal in a laboratory.

Taylor got up. "It's time we returned to our ship."

Jennifer nodded and got up as well.

"So soon?" Arnack sounded distressed.

"We've been here several of our hours," said Taylor.

"But we haven't located your missing crewman yet."

"You can contact us when you do," said Taylor. He started walking to the corridor. Jennifer followed.

"But... but... can we at least perform a passive examination of yourself?" Arnack asked. "You have to understand, this is a very rare opportunity for us. We are scientists, much like yourself."

"I appreciate that," said Taylor, walking a bit faster, in the direction of the landing pads. "Perhaps another time."

"But... at least stay for dinner," said Arnack. "You do eat dinner, do you not?"

"Another time," said Taylor tightly. Something wasn't right here. He kept his eye on both Arnack and Senderock as he and Jennifer fast marched back to their ship.

However, they had only gone halfway to the landing pad when Arnack said, "Wait, wait!" and put a hand to his ear, as if listening. Then he looked up at Taylor. "They have found your missing man!"

"Ensign Raleigh? Where?" said Taylor.

"He is here," said Arnack. "Would you like to see him?"

"Yes," said Taylor. "Take us to him."

Arnack and Senderock were all smiles now. "Follow us."

Taylor and Jennifer exchanged glances but fell into step behind their hosts.

They walked for several minutes, deeper into the city, and then into a large building which looked like it contained a series of laboratories. Taylor started to get an uneasy feeling. "Is my man injured?"

"He is safe and well," Arnack assured him. "You will see for yourself."

And then they turned the corner, and entered a well lit chamber, and Taylor saw Ensign Clay Raleigh.

He was naked, and standing up, pinned to the air. He was yelling wildly and gasping for breath.

"As you can see, he's perfectly fine," said Arnack.

"What have you done to him?" Taylor asked.

"Nothing," said Arnack. "Just a few tests. And now that you're here, we would like to conduct a few tests on you."

Taylor and Jennifer reached for their compression pistols. And that was the last thing they remembered.

********

Consciousness slowly returned to Taylor. He was naked and standing up, and yet his feet were not touching the ground. He was pinioned to the air around him, as if he were strapped to a vertical table, one he could not see or touch.

There was a light shining in his eyes, and the rest of the room was dark.

"Ah, he is becoming aware again. Welcome back, Captain Taylor."

Taylor recognized Arnack's voice.

"We have a number of tasks we need you to perform for us, Captain Taylor. The first one will be the most important. We want you to order your ship to land here."

Taylor gave a surprised laugh. "And why would I do that?"

"Because if you do not, we will subject your body to increasing amounts of pain," said Senderock.

Taylor set his face in a determined way. "I hope you enjoy the sounds of screaming."

"We have no special preference for it. But perhaps you will."

And so it began.

They could cause pain in any part of his body, seemingly without any instrumentation. In his hands, his arms, his feet, his legs, his stomach, his chest, his head, even his.... anywhere. Taylor screamed freely, but he didn't break. They tortured him for what seemed like a very long time. And yet, he didn't give them what they wanted.

After a time, even the Ascended noticed their failure. "It isn't working," said Arnack. "I do not understand. Captain Margaret Astor of the United Survey Service ship Aurora broke much more quickly."

"This one has much more fortitude than Captain Margaret Astor of the United Survey Service Ship Aurora," Senderock observed.

"What did you do to them? Did you torture them too?" Taylor yelled.

"They were much more cooperative subjects than you were... eventually," said Arnack.

"Let us try with the female," said Senderock.

"An excellent idea," said Arnack.

There was a shimmer of light, and Jennifer appeared, standing ten feet in front of Taylor. She seemed to be similarly pinned to the air.

And she was completely nude.

Taylor had served with Jennifer Hale for more than two years. He had seen the wonderful curves of her uniform, but never had he seen her without clothes on. His jaw dropped as he saw his first officer's body naked for the very first time.

She was as beautiful as he imagined. Even more so. Her breasts were every bit as round and firm as Taylor had imagined. They had a slight sag, being free of a Survey Service standard issue bra, but somehow that made them even sexier. She had large, red areolas which were incredibly arousing.

Moving farther down, her belly was as trim as Taylor expected, her legs as slim and athletic as he well knew. And between her legs....

Taylor stared at her furry pubic bush. It was black, like the hair on her head, but much curlier. She had shaved the sides around her lower opening so her genitals stood out more. Her labial lips were rich and red. To his immense shame, Taylor got an immediate erection.

When she saw his penis getting hard, Jennifer's eyes widened. She looked into his eyes, but he couldn't meet her stare.

"And now we begin," said Arnack.

"No!" Taylor cried.

In seconds, Jennifer was crying out in pain. They did the same thing to her that they had done to him. Taylor was forced to watch as they inflicted pain on different parts of her body. Every so often they would stop, and offer to end the torture, if she would agree to call the Devonshire. She refused.

Taylor kept yelling at them to stop. He struggled at his invisible restraints. Watching pain being inflicted on Jennifer was awful.

And yet... her body was getting slick with sweat. Her round, firm breasts were shining in the bright lights. Jennifer moaned with pain, but her moans could easily have been confused for something else. And the expression of her face, the expression of her teeth clenched and her eyes tightly shut could in other circumstances be confused for pleasure, not pain.

A part of Taylor, a shameful part of him, felt his penis throb with need as he watched what was being done to his first officer, to his very best friend.

But Jennifer refused to crack. After she screamed especially loudly, Arnack said, "Lieutenant, we take no joy in this. Contact your ship, and the pain will end."

Jennifer looked at him with confused eyes. "What do you want them for?"

"Just a physical examination," said Arnack. "Nothing else. Then you will all be free to go."

"Don't believe him, Jennifer!" Taylor cried.

Jennifer looked at Taylor, and then at Arnack, and said, "No."

"Most regrettable, Lieutenant," said Arnack. And in moments she was screaming again.

They heard a new voice, a lighter, more feminine voice.

"What is this?" said the new voice.

"Prelnick," said Arnack, and there was real warmth in his voice. "So good to see you."

"I heard about the new arrivals," said Prelnick. "The male looks like quite a healthy, vibrant specimen."

"He is," said Arnack. "He has already shown a potential restraint quotient far exceeding the crew of the Aurora."

"Unfortunately, Arnack is not up to the challenge of breaking either of them," said Senderock.

"I will, I just need more time," said Arnack.

"Their ship has already called for them twice and they have not answered. If they do not respond soon, they will become suspicious and leave."

"It's a pity there's not a real man here who can break these two," said Prelnick.

"I can do it," said Senderock.

"How?" said Arnack.

"There is a bond between these two," said Senderock.

"I have noted it," said Arnack.

"We can use it to our advantage," said Senderock. "Female! Jennifer Hale! Are you listening?"

"Yes," said Jennifer feebly.

"We have run out of time. We are now going to torture your Captain until he dies, or until you capitulate, whichever happens first. Do you understand?"

"No!" Jennifer cried.

"Then let us begin."

They started to torture Taylor again, and this time it was even worse than before. He heard himself scream in agony. It went on for a short time, or a very long one, it was so hard to know. And then it was over, and when he could hear again, he heard Jennifer shouting, "I'll do it! I'll do whatever you say!"

"Call your crew and have the ship brought here," said Senderock.

"Jennifer... no...." Taylor said.

"I have to," said Jennifer. "I have to save you. Just like I did in the cave." And when she looked at him, he saw the love in her eyes. She turned to Arnack. "You're only going to examine them? No torture."

"Of course. You will be free to depart very quickly."

"All right," said Jennifer reluctantly.

********

On the bridge of the Devonshire, Bill Carey sat in the Captain's chair. "Hale! We've been trying to contact you."

"I know," came Jennifer's voice. "We were in a zone that blocked transmissions."

"You've been out of touch for hours."

"Yes... we've been seeing all kinds of amazing technological achievements."

"Are you coming back now?" Carey asked.

"No. The people here have invited us to visit them. Captain Taylor wants you to bring the ship here."

Carey looked at the other bridge officers, Suki Tanaka, Obongo Babangida, and Bill Collins. "The Captain ordered that?"

"Yes," said Jennifer.

Carey paused. "Can I speak to the Captain?"

"He's busy... talking to Ensign Raleigh."

"They found Ensign Raleigh?"

"Yes. Now bring the ship in now. That's an order, Lieutenant."

Carey drummed his fingers on his armrest indecisively. "All right. We're coming in."

*********

The Devonshire landed on one of the larger landing pads. There was one person waiting for them: Jennifer Hale, in her crisp Survey Service uniform. The landing platform opened, and Bill Carey exited the ship, escorted by six men holding compression rifles. He looked around carefully before marching to Jennifer, who stood perfectly still.

"Lieutenant," said Carey. "Where's the Captain? Where is everyone?"

He looked at her face, and instantly knew something was wrong.

"I'm... I'm so sorry," Jennifer said.

And then a white light descended on Carey and his men, and a larger white light encompassed the ship, and consciousness fled.

********

Survey Service Captain Michael Taylor was alive.

Every part of his body was sore. Sore, but not in the terrible pain it once was. Whatever they had done to him hadn't left any permanent damage. And he was wearing his Survey Service uniform again.

Unfortunately, that was all the good news there was to be had.

He was in a cell, sealed by a force field, facing a circular chamber lined with other cells. He could see Bill Carey, Obongo Babangida, Bill Collins, Doctor McCrae, Suki Tanaka and... Jennifer! She was sitting up, and staring directly at him, two cells away.

"Are you all right, sir?" She asked.

"I think so," said Taylor, struggling to get up.

"You betrayed us!" said Bill Carey. "You led us into a trap."

Taylor said nothing.

"No, the Captain wouldn't do that," said Suki firmly.

"Did you, sir?" Collins asked. "Did you order Lieutenant Hale to tell us to bring the ship in?"

Taylor didn't respond.

"He's a coward. A narcissist," said Carey. "I knew it. The Survey Service officer with a god complex. We had to get him for a Captain. Why, if I could get into your cell for a just a minute-"

"Stop it!" Jennifer cried. "Just stop it! Taylor didn't break."

They all stared at her.

"I did," she said, starting to sob.

"You did?" Suki asked.

"They were torturing him. They were killing him. I couldn't... I couldn't let it happen," said Jennifer. "They tortured him for the longest time... he refused to break. He's better than... better than... all of you."

Everyone started talking, arguing, yelling.

"That's enough!" said Taylor. The voices died down.

"Very impressive," said a new voice. Taylor recognized it as Arnack's. "You show a most impressive level of restraint, Captain Taylor. Not only did you resist our unpleasant stimuli, but you also seem to have the ability to inspire restraint in others."

"I'm glad I impress you," said Taylor dryly.

"You have. For restraint is what we are here to study. We need a fuller understanding of how much restraint you, our very distant ancestors, possess, so we can better understand how our race diverged from the Lowers. Think of it as... historical anthropological research."