Judicial Punishment Lottery Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Fuck."

"I'm sorry..."

Elizabeth felt like smashing her own head off the doorframe. The woman was just infuriating! She wanted, desperately, to just fucking hate her and be done with it! But she couldn't. There was just that irritating streak of sympathy she felt for her that just wouldn't go away. It made her want to scream!

"You really are unbelievable you know that?"

Margo gave a small broken smile, "I try."

"Fine! Thank you."

"There's something else. I gave this a lot of thought over the last twenty-four hours but there's something else. I can't free you; I mean in the U.S, not here. I didn't make you a slave, that was the court, and they're the only ones who can change that. But I can make a request of the Manumission Bureau as your owner requesting early release. The debts have all been paid and destitution isn't a felony so there'd be no legal reason they would object. They would probably at least cut the sentence in half, maybe more, I don't know."

Margo licked her lips and spoke quickly, "Also, I can tell them you have my permission to be here, and you haven't just escaped. It might mean nothing to you now, but that way they won't stick you on some weird watchlist and you could travel without worrying about being arrested if you strayed into some country that might extradite you back to the US. It would maybe also protect you from ever being enslaved again, I don't know, but they would still look on you as my property, legally I mean, and they'd maybe contact me first before they did anything to you. When your sentence was finally done, you'd be free to... to come home."

Elizabeth shook her head and was about to refuse but the red-headed cop intervened, "I'd think about that one. It sounds crazy, but it makes a bit of sense, I mean in a purely practical way. It won't make any difference here, but you never know. It might give you some protection at a later date. Anyway, it's worth considering at least."

"Okay, I'll think about it."

"There's something else."

"What?"

Margo bit her lip, "When... If you come home, I want to sign myself over to you for a year, as your slave."

"You are out of your fucking mind!"

"No. Hear me out. This isn't just for you, it's for me. I know you'll probably never forgive me for what happened, I don't deserve your forgiveness anyway and I've no right to ever expect it, but what's worse is I don't think I'll ever forgive myself either. Maybe that way I could... make amends somehow."

"Do you honestly think that after what happened to me, I could ever own another human being and treat them the way you treated me?"

"No. But maybe you could... I don't know, try and be an example for me."

"I wouldn't trust myself. I'd probably just beat the hell out of you for a year."

"And I'd deserve it."

"No. You wouldn't, that's the point, nobody does."

Elizabeth stared at the woman thoughtfully and her eyes narrowed, "Margo, you say you're sorry and you want to express remorse, make amends, and all of those things, but I know you. You may very well believe what you say now, but deep down that brain of yours is calculating. You think you can earn forgiveness by paying a year. In your mind, you would suffer nobly for one year, and then you can go back to the way you were with a clean slate and a clean conscience because that's what's really bothering you, isn't it?"

Looking down at the table Margo nodded.

"Well, the fact you still have a conscience puts you ahead of most. But how long would it be before you were back to the way you were? You enjoyed having me as your slave, didn't you? You said it was "addictive". Well, how long would it be before some other poor girl found herself at your, oh so tender, mercy?"

"No, I..."

"I tell you what. I have a counteroffer. Do you really want my forgiveness?"

Elizabeth frowned at the look of hope that lit up the woman's eyes.

"I'll do anything!"

"Fine then. I'd be willing to give you a chance. But only if you sign yourself over as my slave indefinitely."

Margo stared, horrified, "You'd make me a slave forever?"

"No. I'm not that cruel. The day, in fact, the very minute, I thought you were truly sorry for how you treated me, and that you really had changed, then I'd free you. But not one second before, and if it took ten days, ten years, or a lifetime, that's how long you'd remain my slave."

"Would I have to go to one of those camps?"

"Margo, I want to take revenge on you so badly I can almost taste it! But no. How could I ever look myself in the mirror if I did that to you? I'd be just as bad as you then, in fact, I'd be worse. You only heard stories about what happens in those camps, but I know what goes on there."

"Then I..."

"Think on it before you answer. I won't be going home for at least a year, so you have plenty of time. But be warned, I'm no angel, and this last year has hardened and harmed me in ways I've still to come to terms with. I'm only human and even with the best will in the world, and the best of intentions, I don't think I could stop myself from making you suffer for at least a while before I managed to burn this anger out of me. I'd hate myself for it, eventually, but that would be cold comfort to you in the meantime. I don't think I could ever give you away to be sexually abused like I was but trust me, you'd know what it was like being a slave by the time I was done with you. So, you think long and hard about my offer before you accept it."

Margo smiled sadly, "Elizabeth, even if you're as cruel to me as you say you'll be I would still get one thing you never had, and that makes all the difference you know."

"What's that?"

"I get a choice, which is more than you got."

"We'll see how you feel when the time comes. I'm leaving now, I have something else to do. But... I really do wish you well in the meantime, and I'm actually glad I came to see you. Good luck Margo."

...

After the meeting, Margo sat in her cell in silence as she pondered all the things that had been said and at the surge of emotion she felt at seeing Sal... Elizabeth again. She had no idea how it happened. Maybe it was the betrayal and loss of her husband, maybe it was just loneliness, but she had come to love her little slave so much, and not just like a pet. She had played with the notion of trying to free her for months but the thought of losing her hurt so badly that she always baulked at the idea before seeing it through.

The illicit thrill of having sex with the slave, the sense of power at compelling her into her bed had been breathtaking. The girl was less than half her age, her skin flawless, she was compliant and tender, and the sensation of simply holding that soft warm body close was enough to set her heart racing.

Her husband had laughed at her of course, and his treatment of Sally had been typically awful. But truthfully, she had not really treated the slave well either. Oh, she had been gentle, for the most part. Even when she punished the girl, she could never really bring herself to hurt her overmuch, and she was often wracked with guilt at the things she made her do, but that was always afterwards, the guilt had never actually stopped her. It really was like an addiction. She had tried and utterly failed, to treat the girl like a human being and not a toy, and every time it ended with her eventually calling the young slave to her bed, again. Every time she felt like a complete bitch afterwards, every time she swore it would never happen again, and every single time, it did.

And now it had all come home to roost. Was she glad to see Elizabeth finally free? In a sense she was but her heart was conflicted, and her mind so utterly confused by what she felt that...

The cell door opened, and Maggie looked in.

"It's time."

...

Margo's heart pounded as she was escorted into the court and led to the dock. The Sheriff spared her an appraising glance and he steepled his fingers before him as he waited for the proceedings to open.

She had seen her fair share of court dramas on television in The States, but this was different. The Scottish coat of arms emblazoned on the wall behind the Sheriff as well as the strange white wigs and the black gowns worn by the solicitors gave it all a sense of almost historical formality. She guessed from the cold eyes of the Sheriff that any posturing done in his court by a smart-mouthed lawyer would have ended very badly indeed.

After the charges were read the Sheriff simply called on her to stand and had her confirm her identity and her understanding of the charges against her. Once this was done, he casually indicated for her to resume her seat before turning to the solicitors surrounding the table in front of him.

He nodded to a short, stocky woman and queried, "Madam Fiscal, I am of the understanding that the accused has entered a plea of guilty, am I correct?"

The woman stood and with a short bow, she replied, "Yes, your Honour, that is correct. The defence has made us aware of her plea and it has been accepted by the Crown."

"Very good, and does the defence wish to make any further comment?"

Margo saw her solicitor stand and reply equally formally, "No your Honour, my client has been made aware of the circumstances and been apprised of the likely consequences of her decision and maintains her guilty plea."

The Sheriff nodded his thanks and as both solicitors resumed their seats, he turned to Margo whose escort quickly motioned for her to get to her feet. Margo stood and taking a breath she braced herself for what she knew was to come.

"Margo DeVries, I have been informed of your decision to enter a plea of guilty to both of the charges that have been brought against you today. Can you please confirm for me that this is indeed the case?"

She spoke up and kept her voice as steady as she was able, "Yes, Sir, I plead guilty to the charges."

"Thank you, Mrs DeVries, in that case, all that remains is for me to pass sentence, but before I do so I would invite you to take this opportunity to make any comment to the court that you may feel to be appropriate at this time. Please be advised that you are in no way obligated to say anything, however, the opportunity is there should you wish to avail yourself of same. Do you wish to speak?"

Margo swallowed, her heart was pounding, she could feel her legs trembling beneath her and the knot in her stomach twisted as she looked up, "Yes Sir, it's a bit late now but I would like to apologise to the customs officer. He didn't deserve me shouting and swearing at him like that. I would also like to say sorry to that young Policeman. I never meant to hit him, and I'm so ashamed of myself for losing control like that. I wish I had an excuse, but in truth I don't really. I had too much to drink and I was upset, but that's no excuse for my behaviour. Anyway, I'm... I'm sorry."

When she had finished the Sheriff gestured for her to resume her seat without comment.

He paused for a few moments to gather his thoughts before addressing the court, "On the surface, this case remains a simple one yet there are several facets that elevate it somewhat from the purely mundane. Firstly, it is worth commenting that the issue of slavery, and its legality in other countries is beyond the purview of this court and regardless of how vile and reprehensible we might find such an institution it is not our place to make comment upon the practices of other sovereign nations.

"However, be that as it may, the issue of slavery is also germane to the case before us today for it was the actions of Mrs DeVries, in transporting a young slave woman to our shores that instigated this whole affair. That action showed a woeful ignorance, and some might say contempt for our own sovereignty and laws. However, while that is disappointing it is not, in itself criminal and so it is therefore not a matter for our consideration, except as background information regarding the incident before us.

"This incident began when Miss Elizabeth Foster, known to the accused as the slave girl 'Sally' having arrived here, was removed from her state of bondage and immediately freed. The accused became upset, emotional, and by her own admission being intoxicated, proceeded to create a disturbance within Glasgow International Airport and in full view of members of the public, including many juveniles and children. Upon being arrested she responded by Assaulting a uniformed Police Officer by slapping him.

"There was no injury done however that is not the point. Some years ago, we were more lenient towards such lawless behaviour but that is no longer the case. A Police Officer, like any emergency worker, acts for the good of the state and the people of Scotland, and to attack them is to act against that covenant and is therefore treated very seriously indeed."

The Sheriff eyed Margo with a cold, unblinking, almost reptilian gaze and she shuddered in fear as he continued to dissect her behaviour and his decision.

"I will have you know Mrs DeVries that we were originally of a mind to make an example of you, in the hopes that others like yourself might take the time and trouble to learn a little of our ways before insulting our customs and laws quite so gratuitously."

Margo swallowed nervously.

"However, it may interest you to know that earlier today I spoke to young Miss Foster in chambers, and she made a quite heartfelt plea for leniency on your behalf. I spoke to her at some length and despite her obvious embarrassment, she recounted to me many of the circumstances of her enslavement and your treatment of her. Mrs DeVries, in the view of this court, you are a rapist and a sexual predator who has abused a young woman sexually, physically and psychologically for at least a year. If those crimes had been committed in this country, I feel confident you would now be looking at spending the rest of your natural life behind bars. In short, you are a loathsome human being, and it disgusts me that because of a jurisdictional issue you will in fact evade the justice you so richly deserve."

The acid tone of his voice sliced through Margo like a scalpel, and she hung her head in abject shame and misery as feelings of guilt burned in her gut. Her eyes blurred with tears, her shoulders shook, and she almost missed the tap on her arm from her escort indicating she should rise to her feet as her sentence was passed.

The Sheriff simply stared at her, showing not the slightest indication of sympathy for her tears.

"With regard to the matter of the Breach of the Peace, you are sentenced to the maximum penalty this court can apply, which is a fine of some five thousand pounds and two years' imprisonment."

Margo moaned in horror.

"With regard to the matter of Assaulting a Police Officer the court sentences you to be taken to a place of punishment forthwith where twenty strokes with a cane will be administered to your posterior, thighs or back, as appropriate. You are further sentenced to the mandatory period of ten days of correctional therapy within a short-term prison. Once completed you will be incarcerated for a further two years. All periods of incarceration to run consecutively."

There were gasps from the court and Margo sagged as the full weight of four years of imprisonment loomed before her like an abyss. "Four years!"

Margo forced herself to straighten up and she braced herself to look back up at the Sheriff.

As she saw his thin smile, she realised that four years was the same amount of time Elizabeth had been sentenced to slavery and she gave a rueful half-nod, "What goes around comes around. Isn't karma a bitch."

After letting the full weight of her sentence sink in the Sheriff continued, "Mrs DeVries, in view of the plea made by your former slave it is the decision of this court that the four years of imprisonment be suspended on the understanding that you carry out some five hundred hours of community service in its place. As you are a potential flight risk you will remain incarcerated on a day-release basis until you have completed that community service. Further, as you appear to relish collars so much, we shall arrange for you to have one of your very own. You shall be fitted with a judicial collar immediately which you will wear until your sentence is complete. I stress that this collar does not indicate your enslavement, as fitting as that might be, but is a device used by law enforcement to monitor your movements and ascertain your location at any given time."

Margo's legs almost crumpled beneath her at the sensation of relief that poured through her. She looked up at the Sheriff and whispered, "Thank you."

He stared at her, "Don't thank me, Mrs DeVries, thank your former slave, a young woman who has shown you a degree of compassion that I would be singularly incapable of emulating in her place. Now get out of my sight!"

...

"Holy shit! You really dodged a bullet there!"

The lawyer was obviously delighted with something, but Margo felt almost numb as she sat in the consultation room. She had been so lost in her own thoughts after being contemptuously dismissed from the court that she had no memory of stumbling down the steps and being led back into the room where she was gently pushed down onto a chair.

She looked up at the man, staring blearily at him as her befuddled brain began to clear, "Huh?"

He smiled voluminously, "I said you really got lucky today, that Sheriff fucking hated you. If that girl, Elizabeth, was it? Well, if she hadn't spoken up for you then you'd be looking at a four-year stretch for sure."

Margo nodded, still at a loss for words, "Why?... Why do you think she did that?"

"No idea, but clearly she wanted to help you. Come to think of it she could just as easily fried your arse with the Sheriff instead, so you might want to put her back on your Christmas card list or whatever because she saved your bacon!"

Margo sighed, "I doubt she wants a Christmas card from me..."

The lawyer shrugged, "Guess not. Do you want to talk about what happens next?"

"Go ahead."

"Well, I'm afraid to say that some of the next bit is pretty bad. I'm sorry."

Margo surprised herself by managing to laugh, "Well there's a switch! And things were going so well." She looked at her lawyer and was surprised to see that his concern for her seemed genuine. He was a youngish man, probably not that long out of law school she imagined. His chestnut brown hair and closely cropped beard were neat and his hazel eyes regarded her levelly. For a lawyer, he seemed tall and fit looking and she blushed slightly as he grinned at her.

The man gave a half-hearted smile and continued, "Next comes the judicial punishment for Assaulting a cop. The sentence was twenty strokes with a cane, which is less than the maximum of thirty, so that's good I guess, but it's still going to be pretty horrible for you," he hung his head and Margo was surprised by how genuinely upset he appeared to be, "I'm sorry I couldn't do more for you."

She reached out to touch his sleeve, "Hey, it's okay. I didn't exactly give you much to work with. What happens after that?"

"Well, then you'll be carted off to a special unit within a short-term prison for the mandatory term of correctional therapy."

"What does that entail?"

"It varies, but essentially, it's an echo of the old 'short, sharp shock' policy used for young offenders back in the eighties. A high discipline, zero tolerance regime designed to motivate those compelled to participate to never, ever stray from the straight and narrow again."

"Sounds lovely," muttered Margo dryly.

"Yes, well, at least it's only ten days I suppose. It could have been thirty."

Margo sighed and looked back at the lawyer, "You're not painting a very pretty picture you know."