Jump! Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm not sure, ma'am." Jerome Davis said. "She's been down the past couple of days. I asked her if she was okay, and if something was bothering her, and she just said no. Maybe it's something personal."

"It is." I said. "And I'm going to do something about it, later today." Seeing the eyes on me, I said "Don't ask. I'll tell all of you when I'm good and ready." They wisely took the hint and said no more...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:00pm, Tuesday, May 4th. I called Detective Sergeant Julia Rodriguez into my office. She came in and stood before my desk and said "Did you want to see me, sir?"

"Yes." I said as I finished signing some paperwork. Then I looked up at her and said "Detective... tell me what happened to you at Airborne School."

Julia's eyes bulged for a second, and then her chin fell to her chest as her face took on a look of pain... and utter shame. She said "I didn't make it, sir."

"What happened?" I asked.

Julia said "My whole unit went as a group. On my fourth jump, I landed awkwardly on my ankle. I was able to run off the drop zone, so I got credit for the jump, but it was sprained. I tried to hide it, but they saw me limping the next morning, and wouldn't let me make the fifth jump."

"They didn't recycle you to the next week?" I asked.

"No sir." Julia said, trying hard to keep her voice from breaking. "My unit was shipping out, and I couldn't stay behind. So I wasn't recycled. And I tried to get a slot to go back to Jump School in my next re-enlistment contract, but I was told I'd lost my one shot by not making it. I ended up not re-enlisting. I guess that was good, since I came here to the TCPD."

"I'm very glad to have you here with us, for sure." I said. "However, I cannot allow you to remain a dirty nasty Leg and remain in my Police Department."

Julia's face blanched as she looked up at me. "Sir?" she said, her voice sounded stunned, and hopeless.

I tried to keep the smile off my face as I said "Detective Sergeant, you are on duty Saturday, and your place of duty is the meeting point west of BOW Enterprises. Your uniform will be the 'black' TCPD uniform... and be sure to be wearing a pair of black, well-broken-in combat boots."

"Sir?" she asked, with considerably more hope in her voice.

"You heard me, Sergeant." I replied. "See you Saturday. Dismissed."

"Uh, yes sir." Julia stammered. "Thank you, sir." She exited the office in what could only be described as a dream state. After she was gone, I finally allowed myself a grin...

Part 3 - They Think I Am Stoo-pid

7:20pm, Tuesday, May 4th. TCPD Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle came to the lobby in front of the Public Council Chamber. There was a fairly large contingent of Deputies and Police Officers, all wearing armor, and they were stationed outside, in the lobby, and some in the Council Chamber.

Teresa greeted Senior Deputy Sheriff Louis Bailey and newly-promoted Sergeant-At-Arms Harrison Jackson Pierce. SGA Pierce claimed to be part of the family line that included the 14th President of these United States, Franklin Pierce, but was of no relation to KFXU's Catrina Pierce that either was aware of.

"Any agitators showing up?" Teresa asked.

"No ma'am." said Sr. Deputy Bailey, though he was technically the equivalent rank with her. But he'd once said that he would call the recipient of the Medal of Valor and no less than six Purple Orders 'ma'am' out of sheer respect. He continued: "A whole lot of people in blue shirts came in early and took most of the seats, but they're not causing any trouble."

Teresa looked through the open door and saw the group in the blue shirts. They were young, most were White but there were Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians. The blue shirts were collared golf/polo shirts, and had a logo on the back, a rectangular strip that was a portion of a waving American Flag, but just five stripes extending to the right of the blue field with white stars. Above the Flag were the words 'Proud To Be An' and below the flag in large letters, the word 'AMERICAN!'. She would later see on the front of the shirts an outline of the USA with the Flag inside it, and those same words above and below.

Teresa noticed that Katina Jones, the black Republican that had dared run against Edgar Silas, was one of the leaders of the group, and was sitting in the middle of the front row. She also noticed Ryan Paulson and Jeff Maple, Republican members of the Town Assembly, in the group.

And then she noticed that some were wearing t-shirts of the same color blue as the others, and the logo on the front of the back and front of their shirts were very familiar to Teresa: it was the logo of the Guardians of Justice M.C.

"I wonder what that's about." Teresa said.

"I dunno, ma'am." said Sergeant-At-Arms Pierce. "But we were told to let them come in, and anyone with the red Antifa shirts come in... but to keep anyone with green Environmentalist Wacko shirts out. And we turned away ten of them. I'm glad for that; they smelled really bad."

At 7:30 sharp, the side door in back opened, and the Mayor and ten members of the Town & County Council filed in. Teresa and the Deputies went inside the Chamber and closed the double doors behind them.

In past times, the Council Members would lead the audience in the Pledge of Allegiance, but when several Democrats, including former member Reginald B.F. Lewis, and nearly all the red-shirted Blacks in the audiences refused to stand up, much less say the Pledge, reciting it was stopped.

The Council Members took their seats, and Mayor Daniel Allgood banged the gavel, bringing the meeting to order. He asked for submissions to the Council, which included lawsuits and lawfully required reports, and these were accepted without a verbal reading 'without objection'.

"Old business?" the Mayor said.

Kelly Carnes said "I call Donald Troy to come to the podium, as per our orders for him to appear."

"Point of order." called out Dagmar Schoen. "Councilperson Carnes does not have the individual right nor the authority to order nor force anyone at all to appear before this Council. Therefore, her demand is out of line, if not outright illegal."

"Like Hell I can't order a County Employee to appear here and explain his possibly illegal actions!" yelled Kelly Carnes. "And Donald Troy damn well better be here------"

"The Point of Order is accepted." said the Mayor. "Carnes, as you've been repeatedly told: despite the lies you and the biased, dishonest, and corrupt Mainstream Media keep telling, Councilperson Schoen is absolutely correct: you have no power to order anyone to do anything."

The blue-shirted people in the audience applauded strongly, and the Mayor let them applaud for several long seconds before calling for order, whereupon the blue-shirted people immediately and respectfully quieted down.

As Teresa watched, it dawned on her that none of the Republicans had objected to Kelly Carnes's potty-mouth foul language. And with the 'blue shirts' here, she began to realize that something was going on...

"Mis-ter Mayor!" called out J.P. Goldman as he rose from his chair. "I have what may be Old Business. The previous bill subpoenaing Donald Troy to appear here was defeated, and I was one of those voting against it. By Robert's Rules of Order, only those who voted in the majority can move to reconsider a bill... and I do so now. I move to bring the bill to subpoena Donald Troy to appear before the Council back up for reconsideration."

"I second the motion!" said Dagmar Schoen loudly and happily.

"What the fuck are you people up to?" gasped Edgar Silas, loud enough for his microphone to pick up and transmit. There were immediately five objections to his language. He said "I apologize, that was not meant for the Public to hear. But I do want to know what you people are up to."

Mayor Allgood said "First, there's a motion and second to reconsider the bill to subpoena Donald Troy to the Council to answer questions regarding his contract with Commander Croyle. This vote is only to reconsider the bill, not to pass it. Without objection, let's end debate and vote?" There was one objection: Kelly Carnes.

"First," Carnes said, "I assert that individual Council Members have the right to force a County employee to appear before us. And second, I want to know why you're bringing this up for reconsideration."

"As was just explained to you, Carnes," said John 'Jack' Colby, his baritone voice coming out of his short, lithe 'ranch-hand' body slightly shocking, as always, "you do not have that individual right, and I'm not even sure if the full Council can force someone to appear. As to why we're moving to reconsider? That's an Easy Button answer: we are going to officially and formally subpoena Commander Troy to appear as the Council, and not as an individual or group of individuals. Isn't that what you've been saying you wanted, Councilwoman Carnes?" The audience of blue-shirted people laughed loudly at that.

"Well stated, Mr. Colby." said Mayor Allgood, who was not hiding that he was enjoying himself. "Any more debate?"

The Democrats began asking what was going on, then Dagmar Schoen said "I move to cut off debate and vote on the motion to reconsider." The vote was 8-2... Kelly Carnes and Edgar Silas were very suspicious of the Republicans's motives. And well they should have been...

Mayor Allgood said "The motion to reconsider is passed, and the motion itself is considered to be made by Mr. Goldman and seconded by Ms. Schoen. Debate?"

John Colby said "I move to amend this bill to state clearly and with the force of law that individual Council Members have no authority nor right to individually compel any individual person, whether an employee or not, to appear before the Council, and that it requires a majority vote of the Council to issue such a subpoena or summons."

"I second!" said four Republicans. The Mayor said "Credit for the second goes to Mr. McGhillie, and it definitely is seconded. Debate?"

"Point of order." Sheila Sorrells said. "That was already passed separately. It's redundant."

Edward R. Steele said "That previous motion was just a resolution stating our opinion. This amendment is different in that it codifies into law that individual Council Members cannot compel an individual to appear. It's basically putting into law that Kelly Carnes cannot harass Donald Troy nor anyone else with her b.s. lies that she has some sort of magical power over them."

There were five objections to Mr. Steele's comments explicitly about Carnes. Daniel Allgood said "The points of order are not recognized, but I will make clear that the actual bill here does not mention any specific names. I don't want any lawsuits over Bill of Attainders on this, so don't mention names so that you aren't giving them any legal loopholes, Mr. Steele."

"I'll take it to Court, anyway." said Kelly Carnes.

"Please do." said Dagmar Schoen. "They'll just confirm that you have no authority nor right to compel Donald Troy nor anyone else to appear before us. And if you're so sure of yourself, why haven't you filed a lawsuit already?"

"It's coming." warned Edgar Silas. "It's coming..."

The vote was 5-5, and the Mayor voted in the affirmative. Then J.P. Goldman said "I move to add an amendment to this bill stating that anyone who votes for this bill or votes 'present' or declines to vote, is effectively agreeing that individual Council Members do not have the right to order anyone to appear. In other words, if Mrs. Carnes votes 'yea', 'present', or doesn't vote, she is affirming that she's been lying all this time, and she has no individual power to force Donald Troy to do a damn thing."

"You're going to get this bill shot down in Court if we do that." said Ian McGhillie.

J.P. Goldman said "I just want to make damn sure that if and when the corrupt Media starts chirping that Donald Troy coming in in answer to our subpoena is acknowledging that Carnes has individual power over him, we can sue them for libel."

"It's not libel." Carnes fired back. "They'd be telling the truth. I have that authority, and I'm going to Court to enforce it, if need be."

"Your time. Your money." replied the Mayor...

No one seconded Goldman's motion, so it was not acted upon. Then Dagmar Schoen said "I move that we waive the second reading of the bill. That way, we can be sure we'll see Donald Troy here next week, and stop the Democrats's charade once and for all."

"I second." said John Colby.

"We should not waive the second reading." said Susan Weston, realizing that the Dems needed time to counter the ambush the Republicans were doing to them. "I counter-propose that the Council meets in special session Saturday for the second reading." Susan Sorrells seconded the counter-proposal motion.

Using legislative brute force, the Republicans voted her down, 5-6. Then the original bill, duly amended, passed... 9-1. Kelly Carnes said "I'm not playing your games. I'll see you in Court."

Dagmar Schoen spiked the football by taunting Carnes, saying: "Is that a threat to be ignored, or a promise we can expect you to keep?" The blue shirted people in the audience laughed, then burst into applause...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

7:30am, Wednesday, May 5th. The Sheriff, Chief, Me, Tanya, Teresa, Mayor Allgood, and Edward R. Steele were sitting in the Main Conference Room after the Bettina broadcast. Cindy was not present; she apparently was still sulking.

"I cannot bee-lieeeeeve what I just saw." drawled the Chief. "After all those weeks harping about Kelly Carnes's (air quotes) 'right' to order Mis-ter Crowbarrrr to appear before the Council, Bettina doesn't say one word when the Council does issue an official, voted-upon summons. Not one word."

"And after all Carnes's histrionics about it," said the Mayor, "she actually voted against the bill to issue the subpoena. How embarrassing is that?"

Teresa added "And packing the audience with those pro-America people, led by Katina Jones? Using the Left's own tactics against them? Machiavellian. Brilliantly Machiavellian, Don."

Tanya's eyes were sparkling as she asked "Was this Don's idea?"

"Hmmph!" whimpered Edward R. Steele. "Of course it was. And it was stunningly brilliant."

"There is always a way out." I said. "I admit it took me a while to figure this one out, though."

The Sheriff said "But it's not over. Bettina and Company are still going to say Crowbar bowed down to Carnes's orders, and her viewers will be dumb enough to believe it. That's why she didn't say anything on the newscast, Chief... so that her viewers won't know about the full subpoena, and they'll agree with whatever lies Bettina tells them."

Teresa said "By the time Fox Eight and Alison McFarland and Reed Hudson and the talk shows are done, they'll know the truth."

"No, I'm afraid the Sheriff is right." I said. "Bettina's viewers watch her because they want her to tell them what to think. They want to believe the other side, and Bettina delivers what they want to hear. They watch CNN and MSNBC's filth for the same reasons. Having said that, I am hoping we can follow up with a way to neutralize KXTC, at least on this."

"Please don't tell me you're going to trade your libel lawsuit against them for them dropping this Council business." Teresa said, her voice worried.

"Noooo." I said. "Nothing will make me drop that. I fully intend to destroy KXTC, totally wipe them out. But if they do say I submitted to Carnes, and the Council files a libel lawsuit, now that this bill is passed? J.P. Goldman had the right idea last night, though you were right, Ed, that you really couldn't put it in the bill lest a radical Appellate Court like Leahy's strikes it down. And Katherine Woodburn might be willing to fight me all the way to the SCOTUS... but to have to fight the Council, i.e. the Town & County over it too? That will start to be mighty expensive for our esteemed State Senator..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As they got up to leave, Edward said "Marie's eighth birthday is Friday, and we're having a big party for her Saturday night. You and your various kids are all welcome to attend, if you haven't already been invited."

"All my 'kids' are the employees of the Public Safety Department." barked the Sheriff. "Sure you want me to bring all of them?"

"Sure." said Edward. "But you'll have to bring the bourbon for all of them."

"Touché." said the Sheriff. "Never mind, then My pension isn't that big." We all broke out laughing at that...

Part 4 - Danger in Parachute Jumping

Saturday, May 8th. V.E. Day. As long as that military veteran of World War Two, the Queen, is still with us, we'll still celebrate it.

The morning was beautiful: sunny, warm but not hot, only a slight wind. Perfect weather for jumping out of perfectly good aircraft while in flight.

Just after dawn, I was on the deck of The Cabin, drinking coffee and looking out over my Town. The dogs were inspecting their territories and doing their business. The light of a train was coming out of the western horizon, but my attention had been arrested by the small object flying south-to-north on the far side of Town, where the farm fields were.

It was a military aircraft, and I saw several very small specks drop from it. Then the parachutes above them expanded as they filled with air. I would find out later that they were Pathfinders making a training jump to stay on active jump status, and also to practice setting up a drop zone.

I heard the door open behind me, and an instant later my daughter Carole appeared beside me. "Morning, Daddy." she said.

"Good morning, Fussbudget." I said, as she climbed up onto the metal mesh loveseat and seated herself next to me. "Ready for a big day today?"

"Yes, Daddy." Carole said. "Jim is real excited about it. He wants to be a Par-a-troooo-per when he gets big. And don't tell Mommy I said this, but he's going to be." She meant to not tell that she'd said that, not that Jim wanted to or would be a Paratrooper in the future.

"I'll let Jim tell his mother that himself." I said.

"Daddy," Carole said as two outstanding dogs came on deck and up to us, "Aunt Cin-dee says she's going to stop you from jump-ing, no matter what it takes. And she meeeeens it. But *I* think you have a plan to sneak by her."

"Not much gets past you, Fussbudget." I said. "And my plans are secret, so don't be saying anything to Cindy about it."

"Okay, Daddy." Carole said. "But Aunt Cindy is bound and de-ter-minnned to stop you from jumping. She asked me if you're going to get hurt and be paralyzed, and she's verrry worried about you."

"What did you tell her? Will I be paralyzed?" I asked amusedly. My daughter's answer shocked me:

"Yes, Daddy." Carole replied. "One day you're going to be in a wheelchair like Aunt Tanya is. But not today. You'll be okay today."

"When will it happen?" I asked, totally shocked. "And how will I be hurt?"

"I don't know, Daddy." Carole said. "I don't know when or how. I just know you're going to hurt your back again, one day. Just don't tell Mommy I told you that. She gets mad when I say things like that."

"Don't worry. I won't say a word." I said. Needless to say, I was shaken up, and increasingly filled with foreboding.

Carole hopped off the metal mesh loveseat and said "I'll take the dogs in, so the kitties can come out and get the food you put out for them. Have fun jumping today!" She ran to the door, followed by the aforementioned two outstanding dogs.

So that's it, I thought to myself. If Cindy had a vibe anywhere near Carole's, she's seeing me in a wheelchair. And she asked Carole, who, bless her heart, told Cindy the unvarnished truth... well, the unvarnished prediction, which I hoped to avoid. So no wonder Cindy is worried...