Jump! Ch. 01

Story Info
Airborne Day in the Town & County.
10.1k words
4.81
7.5k
7

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 08/17/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Dedicated to all United States Paratroopers, past, present, and future, with gratitude for their service to the Nation and our Allies. All the way and then some!...

Part 1 - Prologue - Rewarding The Deserving

"Hello and welcome to Fox University Sunrise!" said Catrina Pierce at 8:00am, Monday, May 3rd, from the KFXU studios. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me this morning is Priya Ajmani. Good morning, Priya."

"Good morning, Catrina." the lovely Indian reporterette replied. "Here's what's in the news. Fox Eight News has learned that Governor Sharon Marshall will attend today's Police Promotions and Medals ceremonies, and could possibly be awarding the Governor's Gold Medal to those involved in defeating the insidious ransomware virus that threatened to cripple University Hospital."

Catrina: "But there may be more to the visit. Sources tell Channel Two News that Governor Marshall may be meeting with Dr. Laura Fredricson and with the University Board of Trustees, which could mean that Dr. Fredricson succeeding Dr. Sidney P. Wellman as University President is close to becoming reality."

After several other items, Priya said: "And now let's go to Fox Eight News contributor, and Publisher of the Town & County Examiner Online, Alison McFarland, for a special story. Alison!"

"That's right, Priya and Catrina!" said the lovely blonde Alison McFarland. "This Saturday, May 8th, which happens to have been V.E. Day in 1945 when World War Two in Europe ended, is going to be 'Airborne Day' in our Town & County. Elements of the XVIII Airborne Corps will be making parachute jumps into the farm fields west of BOW Enterprises. But the big news is that sources tell me that several of the Airborne-qualified members of our Public Safety Department will be invited to make a parachute jump with them!"

Alison: "The event will be open to the Public to attend, and to witness the jumps. Afterwards, one or more of the planes may land for tours, and to show the capabilities of the aircraft to take off and land in fields and on dirt roads. And as a bonus, my sources also tell me that there will be special guests at the event. It should be a lot of fun for everyone..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wonder who her secret source is?" asked Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle as she, Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone, and Chief Sheriff's Deputy Cindy Ross watched the broadcast with me in my office.

"The very best one possible." I said. "General Alexander McFarland... Alison's father. He pretty much put this together himself, and he's going to be here Saturday."

"The Army Chief of Staff?" Tanya gasped. "The Chief of Staff? Here?"

"Same one, and yes, he will be here." I replied. "His itinerary and presence here is technically classified, so don't say anything to anyone."

"Who from the TCPD is jumping?" Teresa asked.

"Not you, Mr. Brokeback." Cindy Ross said to me, with great clarity in her voice. "If you try, I'll throw you out of the plane... without a parachute."

"Curing the disease by killing the patient?" I asked with something of a grin on my face. "In that case, I won't have to worry about breaking my back."

"I'm serious, Don." Cindy said. "You are not jumping. No disrespect to Tanya, here, but I don't want to see you in a matching wheelchair."

"Neither do I, for that matter." said Tanya. "So since I'm already in the chair, how do I get to jump?"

I said "All kidding aside, when I went to Airborne School at Ft. Benning, GA, my Company had a mascot dog, named 'Drop Zone'. He'd been found as a puppy on the drop zone where the students jumped. So they made a special box to contain him so he wouldn't get hurt, and he made five parachute jumps and was duly awarded a Parachutist Badge."

Teresa asked: "You were in an Airborne Military Police Reserve unit. Did y'all have drug dogs or explosives dogs that had to jump with you?"

I said "They had the equipment for it, but we never used it. We didn't have any dogs attached to our unit, either; they were with the higher Headquarters in the rearguard. Anyhoo, I'd heard that the University's cadets going to Airborne School this summer wanted to take Chief IV to Ft. Benning with them, and make a Paratrooper out of him. No word yet on if that'll be allowed."

I went on: "So yeah, they could probably put together some contraption for you, Tanya. But if Ms. Scaredy Cat here wont let me jump, she'll definitely try to stop you from risking it."

"God dammit, Don!" Cindy said angrily, her face beet red. "I'm trying to keep you from getting seriously hurt! I would like to see you walk your daughters down the aisle on their wedding days. Do you really have to start calling me names when I'm just concerned for your safety?"

I said "I did fine when I jumped in Israel. I'll be fine on Saturday, too."

Cindy had had enough. As she stood up, she said "You damn right you'll be fine on Saturday. Because I'm not going to let you jump. Whatever it takes, even going to the Sheriff or your wife and having them tell you not to, I'm going to do it."

With that, she turned and exited the office, letting the door close ju-ust a wee bit hard. The rest of us looked at each other in the ensuing silence.

"Is she really that upset?" Tanya asked a few seconds later.

"Yes." I said, having sensed it. "Remember how she went off on me after I jumped with the Israeli 55th Paras?" (Author's note: 'We'll Always Have Paris', Ch. 02, 03.) "She's not kidding about Saturday, either. She really will knock me out cold, if that's what it takes to keep me from jumping."

Teresa said "And knowing you, that's what it will take. So, who else is jumping? I know the SWAT guys that are Airborne qualified are excited about it."

I said "I put out that email a few weeks ago. Kalsu, Patrick, and Hawley immediately replied, and Chief Moynahan wasn't far behind. SBI Director Masters also asked to jump with us, and Chief Moynahan put his name on the list. Ranger Halston asked if he could jump, I approved it, and the Chief signed off on it. Paramedics Ellen Brooks and Kevin Randolph were in the XVIII Airborne Corps and are Airborne-qualified, so they'll be jumping with us."

I continued: "And of course no party would be complete without United States Paratrooper Leonard R. Cordell. And... oh, yeah! Guess who Admiral Cordell says is going to be jumping with him... why, Commander Croyle! I believe he said you will be."

"Shut the front door!" Tanya said. "Really?"

Teresa said "He asked me if I wanted to, and he cleared it with General McFarland. And if I don't, Don will never let me live it down."

"You damn right I won't." I 'promised'.

"Oh, you gotta take that opportunity!" Tanya said.

Teresa said "I'm not... excited about it, but I remember when Tiger Woods paid to go through part of Basic Training, so he would know what his father had gone through. And my father was a Master Parachutist, what Admiral Cordell called a 'Master Blaster'. So, yeah, I'm not going to let this opportunity pass by." Then she turned just a bit wicked as she said cattily: "And I'll be giving Cindy no end of hell about it, too."

"Heh." I said. "And I've got a little surprise for one of our Detectives, too. O-kayyyy, let's go give out some medals like candy..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am, Monday, May 3rd. The Police Force and Emergency Medical Services team were holding a joint Promotions and Medals Ceremonies on the 'parade grounds' and bleachers behind Police Headquarters. Because Governor Marshall was expected to attend, the Press was there in relatively large numbers, and with many cameras. And because the Governor was there, we were asked to wear our fully-formal jackets with medals, as opposed to just ribbons, and Medal of Valor recipients were wearing said medals around our necks.

There were almost no promotions, just a few pay-grade increases. But there were a number of Certificates of Achievement for our Uniformed Officers, earned during the Boone/Westgate murder case, the frame-up of Wes Masters, the Lost Greuze case, and the final resolution of the George Aurus saga.

Among the Certificates, Auxiliary Detective Carole Troy received one for observing the exchange of the Lost Greuze for the clown painting. Sheriff Griswold received a Certificate for coming in fourth in the World Whiskey Tasting Championships, and he received strong applause when I handed it to him.

And I was awarded a Public-Safety-level Achievement Medal for saving young Jimmy and his dog Billy Beagle's lives while rogue, dirty Federal Agents were perforating George Aurus in a hail of bullets from their Government Guns. There was discussion by the Public Safety Review Panel of me being awarded the Lifesaving Medal, but my actions were not considered to be outside the parameters of my normal Police duties.

Last but not least, Lt. Commander Ted Orosco received the Sheriff's Medal, the Public Safety equivalent of the Police Medal, for his service as the head of the TCPD's Internal Affairs. The Sheriff upgraded it because Orosco also done the Internal Affairs jobs for the Public Health Department and the fledgling EMS Department.

So it was a good time to have Governor Sharon Marshall visit. After we'd given out the promotions and the Certificates and medals, she came out. And five persons were called up: Lieutenants Myron Milton and Mary Milton, Cameron Wakefield, Paramedic Kevin Randolph, and EMS Chief Leonard R. Cordell.

Cameron Wakefield had been secretly handed a Governor's Gold Medal to be given to his brother Donovan Wakefield. Now he was receiving his, along with the Mighty Miltons, for defeating the insidious Charrington virus that had been unleashed upon University Hospital.

Some of us, including the Chief, had received their Governor's Gold Medals already, and Teresa and I awarded State Citations of Honor and Valor, respectively, and those were announced. And then the Governor awarded Paramedic Randolph his Governor's Gold Medal for his participation in the Life Flight that brought DEA Agent Kevin Pitts to University Hospital... while under fire. The Governor pinned it on his uniform, just beneath the Medal of Valor hanging around Paramedic Randolph's neck.

And for his participation in that same Life Flight, and now also because he had chosen to save a little boy's life by transplanting a liver into the boy despite being ordered not to by the heartless BigBenefitInsurance, EMS Chief Cordell was presented with his Governor's Gold Medal.

The standing ovation for Dr. Cordell was loud and prolonged, to the Media's disgust. They knew, as everyone did, that this was Governor Marshall's big middle finger at the State Medical Board and BBI CEO Jeff Woolsey for getting Cordell's medical license revoked. And the Police Force was showing its support for Dr. Cordell with their sustained applause.

"Loooo-tenants Milton and Milton!" drawled the Chief as the Governor and her award recipients took their seats. "Just stay up here for one mo-mennnnt." They stayed up front as Teresa and I came up with two award boxes.

The Chief said "We appreciate the Governor awarding our Officers and colleagues those well-deserved accolaaaades, and we appreciate her coming personally to our cere-moannnn-iezzzz." There was applause, then the Chief said "And we have our own awards for Lieutenants Myron Milton and Mary Milton."

Chief Moynahan: "All of us have our Po-leeece dooties, and all of them are important. And sometimes we are called upon to go above and beyond the call of doooty... and that is what the Miltons did. What they did to attack and destroy that virus that attempted to cripple our great University Hos-pi-tllll and attempt to hold us to ransom... is in its own way one of the greatest Police actions of allll timmmme."

There was strong applause, then Chief Moynahan read the first citation as I reached into the box Teresa was holding, then pinned upon Mary Milton's uniform jacket... the Police Distinguished Service Medal, the third-highest medal the Police Department can bestow.

We repeated the action with Myron's medal. And then the assembled gathering, except the hatred-filled Press, gave the Miltons a truly well-deserved standing ovation for two full minutes, and even Deputy Chief Muscone joined the applause.

The Miltons had chosen to be and remain Police Officers though they could make a lot more money elsewhere. And they'd performed their duties with distinction, culminating in the great victory that saved many lives at University Hospital. If ever the Distinguished Service Medal was deserved, it was now, and by these two outstanding Police Officers...

Part 2 - Disturrrbances In The Force

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, May 4th, from the rooftop of the building at Riverside and College, with Police Headquarters in the distant background. "Governor Marshall meets with Dr. Laura Fredricson!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "Channel Two News has learned that White Nationalist Governor Sharon Marshall met in secret with Dr. Laura Fredricson yesterday. The Governor used her appearance at the TCPD's Promotions and Medals Ceremonies as her excuse for coming to our Town & County to secretly meet with Dr. Fredricson."

Bettina: "Neither the Governor's Office nor Dr. Fredricson responded to repeated requests by KXTC for comment, but Channel Two News has learned that the University's Board of Trustees will be meeting next Tuesday, a week from today. Political experts suggest that means Dr. Fredricson has accepted the Governor's offer, and that the Governor will meet with the Trustees to obtain their ratification of the nomination, which is required for Dr. Fredricson to replace the disgraced Sidney P. Wellman as the next University President."

Bettina: "And in other news, the Town & County Council will meet tonight, and Council Democrats are expecting Police Commander Donald Troy to obey their orders to appear at the meeting and answer their questions regarding his questionable decision to enter into a contract with Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle, which enabled her to serve as a Reserve SBI Lieutenant as well as TCPD Officer. Councilman Edgar Silas has promised to sue the Council and the County if Commander Troy does not obey the order to appear and respond to their questions..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"They are just not going to let up on that, are they?" said Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle as she, me, Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan, and Deputy Chief Tanya Muscone drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"Let up on what?" replied Sheriff Griswold.

"The Council Democrats ordering Don to appear at the Council meetings." Teresa said. "And if he does appear, that lying bitch Bettina will just say that it proves Kelly Carnes has the right to order you to appear, and that you agreed by showing up!"

"Don't let it get to you." I said, to calm my worked-up Iron Wolf down.

"She is right, though, and it's insidious." Tanya said. "No matter what Don does, the Press is going to attack Don for it. There's no way out for you, Don."

"There's always a way out." I replied, and a bit cryptically.

"I can't wait to see this one." growled Griswold.

To change the subject, Tanya said "Changing the subject, what's going on with the Governor and Dr. Fredricson? Did she accept, and if so, why didn't the Governor announce it?"

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies." I said. "Seriously, I'm sworn to secrecy, and I'm claiming spousal privilege. So don't ask me anything about any of it."

Teresa said "Todd's a Trustee, so I'm sworn to secrecy, also. But don't assume Laura took the job. The Governor may have asked the Trustees to meet so she could give them the next name on her list if Laura turned it down."

"Who's next on the list?" Chief Moynahan asked.

"Sheriff Griswold." I said laconically. Needling the ol' Sheriff, I was.

"Har." barked the Sheriff. "That will be the day."

"By the way, where is Cindy?" Tanya asked.

"She's still sulking about me jumping on 'Airborne Day'." I said dismissively.

To my surprise, the Sheriff got serious with me: "Crowbar, you need to be more circumspect about her feelings on that. She came to my office yesterday and begged... I mean begged me to order you to not jump. I told her that it was your call, and that I'd have an easier time stopping sap from running in trees than stopping you from making an Airborne jump. Cindy left my office crying... literally, tears streaming down her face. She's scared to death for you, Don. She really does not want you to get hurt."

"Good grief, sir." I said. "I could get hurt, or worse, every day I'm on duty. I was in far greater danger from Lindsey Black and Karl Coleman at the University Museum than I will be on Saturday." (Author's note: 'Vengeance Is Mine', Ch. 02.)

"Just have some feelings for her feelings, Crowbar." the Sheriff admonished me. I decided that the better part of valor was to just shut my potty mouth...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Tuesday, May 4th was Star Wars Day... May The Fourth Be With You. And it was the day that was traditionally becoming the day of the Most Dangerous Assignment in the TCPD. Teresa and I were exercising great courage... in posting the brackets for the Police Boxing Matches (Freestyle Division) in the glass wall case on the left side wall as one came into the gym from the front entrance.

After shutting and locking the door of the glass case, Teresa and I moved out smartly and hurried towards the back wall of the gym, where the locker rooms were. Lieutenants Rudistan and Davis pushed open the front doors of the gym and then ran back towards me and Teresa. It was a wise move: a moving river of Police blue flowed rapidly into the gym and right over to wall, with accompanying jockeying for position, and some breaking into a dead sprint and ending up slamming into the walls as they were pushed out of the way.

As we watched the frenzy, I said to Teresa "Not like the days when you'd just walk up like the badass you are, and make them get out of your way."

Teresa replied "It's not like the days when the Chief let you and me compete in the Matches, either."

"True, that." I said. "And not nearly as many people signed up since the Chief forbade crowbars, and only Police-issue batons can be used. Only 63 people, including EMT's Brooks and Randolph."

We watched as Detective Joan Laurer, the current Police Boxing Matches (Freestyle Division) Champion came out of the scrum, having found herself in No. 1 seed position. She gave us a thumbs-up, and left the gym. Kalsu was the No. 2 seed, Daniel Patrick the No. 3 seed, Julia Rodriguez the No. 4 seed, Taylor Hawley the 5th seed, and EMT Kevin Randolph the 6th seed.

"What's up with Julia?" Teresa asked, seeing that Julia Rodriguez had come in after the rush, and seemingly had no enthusiasm.