Jupiter Rising Ch. 02

Story Info
The investigation continues. A reporter crosses the line.
14.9k words
4.81
6.7k
7

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 12/04/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

This story is dedicated to Dr. Albert Einstein, and Professor Stephen Hawking CH CBE FRS FRSA.

Part 6 - The Investigation Begins

They saved him. SBI Agents Tarleton and Johnson moved quickly to stop Carmela, while Campus Detective Tracy Stone moved in front of Carole, protecting her.

"Whoa, buddy!" Stone said. "You better not touch this child."

"Damn right." said Tarleton as he and Johnson held Carmela against the wall.

I said: "Ladies and gentlemen, we are not Agencies of the Weak Minded, here. It is obvious to astute Detectives that Dr. Carmela here is attempting to goad me into a physical altercation with him... and he's about to succeed."

With a sudden and very violent move, I rushed Carmela, slamming my crowbar into his neck against the wall. "And I swear to GOD! if you so much as LOOK at my daughter, much less try to touch her, I will gouge your fucking eyes out! You hear me?... I SAID, DO YOU HEAR ME?!"

"We got him, sir." said Tarleton. I backed off as Tarleton turned Carmela around and began affixing cuffs. Carmela tried to fight out of his grip.

"What the fuck are you DOING?" Carmela yelled, his voice not as loud as the fury he was feeling. "Arrest that bastard! He assaulted me!"

"No, it's you that I am placing under arrest." said Tarleton. "For trespassing on a crime scene, failure to follow a Police Officer's instructions, disturbing the peace, assault upon a minor child, assaulting State Agents, assaulting a Police Officer, and resisting arrest." He and Johnson led Carmela away, using a good bit of force on the fat professor's arms, and Carmela continuing to shout a litany of curse words.

"Thank you for protecting me." Carole said politely to Detective Stone.

"Glad to help." said Tracy Stone. "So this man is your father?"

"Yes ma'am." said Carole. "He's the Iron Crowbar. And he doesn't like it when bad people try to hurt me."

You got that right, I thought to myself as I nodded most vigorously in agreement.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I heard a commotion at the end of the hallway, and looked over. Campus Cadet Police Officers Tatum and O'Neal, who I remembered from the Charles Westbrook case (Author's note: 'Return To Point Hollow', Ch. 03.), were preventing someone from coming down the hall. And that someone was Dr. Laura Fredricson.

"Hello, Officers." I said as I came up. Tatum was a female, and her eyes lit up upon seeing me. O'Neal was looking at Laura in a similar way. "What's going on?"

"This lady says she's a professor, and she's trying to come in." said Tatum.

"Mommy!" Carole said loudly as she came up behind me.

"As you can see," I said, "Professor Fredricson is here to pick up Carole and Marie for me. Come with me, Professor." The Officers (wisely) let Laura follow me and Carole down the hallway.

"What's going on?" Laura asked quietly as we walked down the hall.

"Trouble, and a heap of it." I replied. "I'll give you the details later, but Dr. Stoddard was shot dead, and what is likely the murder weapon was found in Stephanie Steele's purse."

"Oh. That's more than 'trouble', that's a heap of shit." Laura said quietly. I nodded vigorously in agreement.

We reached the second classroom, where Julia Rodriguez and the Cadet Officer were talking to a very worried-looking Marie. "You finished here, Detective Rodriguez?" I asked.

"Yes sir, we have Marie's statement." Julia said. "She wants to see her mom."

"Marie," I said, "why don't you go home with Carole and her mom, and I'll go check on your mom for you, okay?"

"Okay, Mis-ter Crow-bar." Marie said, looking like she wanted to burst out crying. Carole put her arm around her BFF and led her down the hallway, with Laura following...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6:30pm, Wednesday, February 5th. I went into Campus Police Headquarters, and was met by Campus Police Commissioner and Provost Marshal Bob 'Brick' Briscoe, formerly of the TCPD.

"She's in our conference room, which serves as our Interrogation Room, with her lawyer." said Briscoe. We went down the hallway and around a corner to the door that led to the small, dark anteroom. Through the one-way glass I saw Stephanie Steele, talking with her lawyer Bernadette Rosalyn Gillem of the Madison & Ives Law Firm.

Campus Police Detective Tracy Stone came into the anteroom. "They're ready for you any time." said Commissioner Briscoe to Stone.

"Yes sir." said Tracy Stone. She exited the anteroom. A moment later she entered the Interrogation Room, with Officer Tatum in tow.

"She'd be in a world of shit if it weren't for your daughter's testimony on video." said Briscoe.

"Yes, she would." I replied. "Let's listen to this."

Tracy Stone did the right thing and read Stephanie Steele her considerable rights from the card. Stephanie acknowledged she understood, but then said "Where's my daughter?"

"She's safe, and that's not your concern right now." said Tracy Stone. "I have some questions for you-------"

"Where is my daughter?" Stephanie thundered. "And why was she alone in a room with an adult man she didn't know?"

"If you want to see your daughter again, you better answer my questions!" Stone shouted angrily.

"This will not do." I said. I left the anteroom and went to the Interrogation Room and poked my head in.

"Dr. Steele, your daughter is safe with Dr. Fredricson." I said. "Ms. Gillem, please make sure your client's rights are fully protected, here."

"What?!" gasped Tracy Stone. She all but ran for the door after me. As we stepped into the hallway, SBI Agent Terence Johnson also came up.

"What the hell are you DOING, Commander?!" a very angry Stone all but yelled at me. "Whose side are you ON?"

"The side of Truth and Justice, Detective." I fired back. "And trying to intimidate Dr. Steele like that at this point of the investigation is premature."

"Premature to what?" Stone spluttered. "We've got tremendous evidence, here------"

"Which I suggest you consider most carefully in the overall picture." I said. "I showed you contradicting eyewitness testimony."

"From a six-year-old child!" said Stone. "I'm trying to investigate this suspect based on the evidence we have. And you are interfering with my investigation!"

"A lazy investigation, at that." I said. "You need more data. Remember the Peter Dwayne Gordon rape case? He was innocent, despite the initial evidence------" (Author's note: 'Falsely Accused'.)

"No he wasn't!" spat Tracy Stone. "I believe the victim, Kendra Luskin. Just because you got the bastard off at trial doesn't mean he didn't do it!"

"Detective, watch yourself." admonished Commissioner Briscoe as I squared up to Stone, malevolence in my gray eyes.

"Commissioner, I object to Commander Troy being part of this!" Stone said loudly. "This is our jurisdiction, not his! His daughter is a material witness, she and the suspect's daughter are best friends. He was on the Charter Commission with her husband. He and his Police Force cannot be unbiased in this case-------"

"Detective!" Briscoe almost shouted. "You are about to be insubordinate... YOU COME TO THE POSITION OF ATTENTION WHEN I'M ADDRESSING YOU!" Stone was shocked, but came to some resemblance of the position of attention as Briscoe lit into her:

"Now you listen, and you listen good, Detective." Briscoe snarled angrily. "That is a Police Commander, equivalent of an Assistant Police Chief in most jurisdictions. Furthermore, he's the best Detective you can ever hope to work with, and you are about blow the opportunity! So shut your goddamned mouth and learn something!"

Stone's face was beet red with anger, but she said nothing. Briscoe said to me: "Consider this a formal request for the help of the TCPD on this case, Commander."

"We'll be glad to back you up, Commissioner." I said. "Detective Stone did make some salient points, so I will not personally lead this investigation. Having said that, Detective Stone, do not ever again impugn the integrity of the Town & County Police Force like you just did."

I continued: "Also, I'm still going to keep myself in the loop, because I'm not stopping at Dr. Steele as the only suspect in this case. What I suggest, Commissioner, is that this case be given to SBI Agent Terence Johnson to lead, with Detective Stone's help and the TCPD supporting them." Johnson nodded his agreement.

"That works for me." Commissioner Briscoe said.

"Commissioner," said Tracy Stone, "if we're really going to play this straight by the book, I believe we should get an arrest warrant and put Dr. Steele through full booking right now. I believe there's plenty enough evidence to secure the warrant and hold her."

"Let's talk to her first." said Johnson. He led the way back into the Interrogation Room, with a still-angry Stone following.

"She's a good Detective." said Briscoe as we went back into the anteroom. "I'm not sure what all that was about."

"Neither do I." I said, though 'thoughts' were forming in my mind, such as 'How does Detective Stone know so much about my relationship with the Steeles?' I put that into a compartment of the mind as I listened and watched...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I'm SBI Agent Johnson." said Johnson, introducing himself as he and Stone sat down opposite Dr. Steele and her lawyer Gillem. "First, as Commander Troy said, your daughter is safe with Dr. Fredricson. And second, this is a serious situation involving the death of your colleague, Dr. Stoddard, and we need to ask these questions. I know you've been read your rights. First, let's go through what you did today, Dr. Steele."

They went through where Stephanie had been all day. A class, lunch, another class. She had picked up Carole and Marie from school, as she did most days, then returned to the Physics Building and to her office with the kids, and had noticed nothing amiss. Then she went to her 3:30pm afternoon class, again with the kids in tow.

"And you locked the door behind you?" Stone asked, almost harshly.

"It locks by itself." said Stephanie.

"And how can the door be unlocked?" Stone asked.

"I have to stick my University ID card into the slot, and then punch in a five-digit code on the keypad." said Stephanie. "There is also a physical lock that a key can unlock, so that the door can be opened if the power goes out or in an emergency."

"Can the door be left unlocked?" asked Stone.

"Yes, by pushing the button next to the latch itself, which can't be accessed when the door is closed." said Dr. Steele. "But I never use that. I keep my ID card on my lanyard around my neck. Your Officers took that when they brought me here."

"Does anyone else know the code, or have a physical key?" asked Johnson.

"Campus Security has a master key to all the rooms in the building." said Stephanie. "The janitors also have a card and code, not the same as mine, that allows them in to clean overnight."

"Did you have your purse with you at all times today?" Detective Stone asked.

"I had it when I went to pick up the kids." Stephanie said. "I put it in the top right hand drawer of my desk, where I always do, when we got back. And I left it there when I went to teach my class."

"What color was the purse?" asked Stone.

"Black." said Stephanie.

"Do you own a blue purse?" asked Tracy Stone.

"I have a navy blue purse." said Stephanie. "It's at home. It's more elegant than my regular one, so I don't use it very much. Usually just for formal, dress-up occasions."

"What about a medium blue purse?" asked Stone.

"No, just black, gray, white, and navy blue." said Stephanie.

"Do you own a firearm?" asked Stone.

"My husband does." said Stephanie. "I don't have one of my own."

"How many guns does your husband own?" asked Stone.

"I object to that question." said Bernadette Gillem. "Mr. Steele is not under interrogation here, and his firearm ownership is none of your business."

"It very much is my business." replied Stone. "A professor was found murdered in your client's office, and he was shot. Again I ask, how many guns are owned by you, your husband, or jointly?"

"Don't answer that." said Bernadette. To Stone she asked "Is my client a suspect in the murder?"

"She's under arrest as a material witness and a person of interest." said Stone.

"Then don't answer that question." said Bernadette, to Stephanie. "It violates your husband's rights, as well as your spousal privilege rights."

"We'll see about that." said Stone.

"Let's move on." said Terence Johnson to Tracy Stone.

"Okay, to continue: do you have a concealed carry permit?" Stone asked.

"Yes." said Stephanie.

"So you have a concealed carry permit, but you don't own a firearm except the one to which you've admitted your husband owns?"

"That is what my client has already said." replied Gillem, taking over the answering after touching Stephanie on the forearm.

"Then how do you explain, Dr. Steele," said Tracy Stone harshly, "that the black purse you claim to have had with you was not found in any drawer of your office nor anywhere else on that floor of the building? And a blue purse with your wallet, your ID, and a recently fired gun was found on your desk?"

"Don't answer that." said Gillem. To Stone she said "Unless you are arresting my client, she's not answering any more of your questions, and we're leaving."

"She's already under arrest, and she's not leaving." said Tracy Stone. "Stay here" She got up and left the room.

We met her in the hallway. SBI Agent Terence Johnson had come out, as well.

"Commissioner," said Stone, "we have enough to hold her, and she's not cooperating. I want to------"

"Exercising her Constitutional rights is not 'not cooperating' (air quotes), Detective." I said strongly.

"Like I said before, Commissioner," Tracy Stone replied, though calmly this time, "Commander Troy is not unbiased in this."

"But he is correct about that." replied Briscoe.

"Has she been through booking?" I asked.

"No." said Stone.

"We'll take her to TCPD Headquarters for booking and further questioning." I said. "And I'll call the judge about an arraignment tonight."

"What's wrong with here?" asked Tracy Stone sharply.

"Nothing." said Briscoe. "But their facilities are better, and they have an Intelligence Branch that even the FBI envies..."

Part 7 - Nets Closing In

7:15pm, Wednesday, February 5th. Edward Steele was escorted to my office at TCPD Headquarters, looking pale, and a bit angry. "Have a seat here on the sofa." I said, directing him to do so. I sat down next to him.

"What's going on, Don?" Edward asked. "They've arrested Stephanie? Where is she?"

"She's at the Courthouse, being arraigned." I said. "I called Judge Watts, and he agreed to come in immediately."

"Don, you gotta do something about this!" Edward said. "You gotta help her!"

"I'm doing all I can." I said. "And Ed, this is why I asked the Duty Desk to bring you to see me when you got here. I need you to understand that there is only so much I can do. I'm too close to you and your family, Marie and Carole are way too close, and the Campus Police know that. So I'm doing what I can. but it's going to have to be in the background."

"So exactly what are they accusing her of doing?" Edward asked.

I told him what happened and what had been found so far. "We're still gathering data, but the circumstantial evidence is strong enough to charge her with Dr. Stoddard's murder. We're waiting for the hearing now..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Judge Rodney K. Watts gaveled the arraignment into session. "How does the Defendant plead?" he asked.

"Not guilty." said Stephanie Steele.

"Prosecution? Bail?" he said.

ADA Savannah Fineman said "Your Honor, the People ask that the Defendant be remanded without bail. She has frequently flown to many places in the world in connection with her job, and as such she poses an extreme flight risk with havens to run to. And the criminal charges include first degree murder."

"Your Honor," said Bernadette Gillem for the Defense, "my client has strong ties to the community, her family and work are here in this County, and she has no criminal record at all. Furthermore, we intend to show these charges are prematurely filed, thinly circumstantial, and-------"

Judge Watts interrupted, saying "Okay, okay, this is not the place to hash that out. Bail of $100,000 is granted, and ankle monitoring will be required. Defendant must surrender her passport, and cannot leave the County without notifying the Court and the Police Department." He banged his gavel; so let it be written, so let it be done.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00pm. The Detectives met in Classroom 'E'. Leading the meeting was Captain Tanya Perlman and SBI Agent Terence Johnson. Also in attendance were Lt. Jerome Davis, Lt. Mary Milton, Sr. Detective Teddy Parker, Detective Sergeant Julia Rodriguez, and Campus Police Detective Tracy Stone.

Watching in the Main Conference Room were Sheriff Griswold, Commissioner Briscoe, Chief Moynahan, Your Iron Crowbar, Your Green Crowbar, and Your Iron Wolf.

I'd called Laura, and she'd taken the kids (including Marie) and dogs to The Cabin, which had better security than the Mountain Nest. Bernadette Gillem also had Stephanie Steele take the Fifth, followed by the arraignment, and now she and Edward were taking Stephanie home. From my desk down the chain-of-command came a trickle of instructions for the TCPD to watch over the Steele household as well as The Cabin.

"Okay," said Terence Johnson, "for those I have not yet met, I'm SBI Agent Terence Johnson, and I'm in charge of the investigation of the murder of Dr. Robert Stoddard. I'm working with Campus Detective Tracy Stone, who has the lead for the Campus Police. We are working with the TCPD on this as a joint operation, and I very much appreciate the help you've given us at the scene and in gathering data."

"The Sheriff would love you." said Julia Rodriguez, meaning Johnson's ass-kissing skills.

"Our SBI friends might not be used to our sense of humor." said Captain Perlman when she saw Terence's 'wtf' look. "So let's get started. Three-M, what do we have on Dr. Stoddard?"

"Robert Stoddard, 56 years old." Mary Mahoney Milton said. "Holder of the Albert Einstein Chair of Advanced Theoretical Physics, Head of the Departments of Physics and Astronomy, published three major papers on String Theory, one of which was nominated for a Nobel Prize. Educated at MIT, doctorate at Colorado. Taught math and physics at the Air Force Academy, then came to our University here, and has been here for 20 years."

Mary: "He divorced ten years ago, no children from the marriage. His ex-wife moved back to Colorado, remarried, and lives in Denver now. The divorce was not especially acrimonious, but he did contest it because she originally wanted a lot of his money. He essentially won, keeping most of his assets. Part of that was because the University had first rights on his house, similar to their first rights to buy back Dr. Laura Fredricson's home, the Mountain Nest."

Mary: "And speaking of his finances, they're pretty good. His house is worth $220,000, so that would've been a nice enough nest egg for his retirement. He also was served well by his financial advisors, and had over two million dollars built up. His credit card use was modest. He had a credit card for an account that held his grant money and academic prizes, which is a bit unusual. He used that card for business-related travel, meals, et cetera."