Jupiter Rising Ch. 03

Story Info
Crooked actions thwarted; Swamp Frogs try again.
13k words
4.79
6.6k
8

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 12/04/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

This story is dedicated to Dr. Albert Einstein, and Professor Stephen Hawking CH CBE FRS FRSA.

Part 11 - Driving While Media (continued)

11:10pm, Friday, February 7th. I came up to the eerily lighted scene, thanks to many Police, Fire, and EMT lightbars. I'd received a call just as the dinner party was ending, and I rushed out while Laura saw our guests on their way before going to The Cabin.

"Hello, Sergeant McGhillie." I said to Roy McGhillie as I walked through the cordon and up to the scene. A car was in the grass, badly damaged, and I could see by the tire marks on the road and curb as well as the torn up grass that it had been shoved sideways and had rolled. "What do we have here?"

"That car, or what's left of it," McGhillie replied, "belongs to Amber Harris, the KXTC reporter. She's been taken to the Hospital to be checked out, but she appears to have been very lucky. She said a black car came around the traffic circle, sped up, and rammed her. Her side airbag deployed, which saved her life, and she had on her seat belt like good citizens should."

"Who called it in?" I asked.

"Occupant of the second house down the road." said McGhillie. "A Mr. Rutherford Tilden, retired, former BigPharmaCorp engineer. Heard the impact and looked out to see what happened, and called 9-1-1. Others came out of their homes to see if Amber Harris was okay, and we've taken their statements. Most of them say her car was the only one here, but a couple of them said they saw a black car speeding away, and that it had no car tag."

"Okay, good report, and fast work." I said. "You called in to get Intel working on camera footage?"

"Yes sir." said McGhillie. "The 9-1-1 call would've had them initiate that, but I called in just in case they hadn't been notified. They had been, and were beginning to gather what footage they could."

"Outstanding, and good initiative on your part." I said. Yep, Roy belonged out here on the beat, I thought to myself. "Did Amber say anything else helpful?"

"No sir." said McGhillie. "She said she saw the car entering the traffic circle from the other side, she slowed down, looked for other traffic, then WHAM! the car was right there hitting hers."

I nodded. I looked around, then saw Tanya's Van down the side road, and Tanya near it, watching. To my surprise Commander Cindy Ross was standing next to Tanya. I 'moseyed' over."

"Hello, ladies." I said. They returned the greeting, then I said "Paperwork getting boring for you, Deputy Chief Ross?" I asked.

"Always." Cindy replied. "And to tell you how boring it really was, I was listening to Police Band radio after putting Betsy to bed. Fortunately, my mom is staying with me while Callie is in the City tonight, so she's watching Betsy, and I came on over to see what was the matter."

"Well, I'm glad I was in the presence of two Council Members as witnesses." I said. "And I'm glad the car was black and not dark green. Otherwise, KXTC would be blaming me for this."

"Knowing them," said Cindy, "they'll blame you or me, or both of us, for it."

Tanya said "Naah, but it is another distraction for us. My question is: what was the motive for ramming her car?"

When I didn't answer, both Angels looked at me. "Don?" asked Cindy.

"Oh, sorry." I said. "You mentioned that this was a distraction, and my train of thought left the station."

"As to the motive: no data yet." I continued, which made the Green Crowbar chuckle. "We'll have to send Detectives, probably Julia or Joanne, to talk to Amber, and see if she was working on any news leads that might cause someone to want to fuck her up. Not that Amber will tell us anything, of course."

"One never knows." said Tanya. "Which one would you rather? Joanne or Julia?"

"You tell me, o Captain of Detectives." I replied.

"Joanne it is, then." Tanya said. "She just had a baby, like Amber did, so maybe she can get Amber to talk to her."

"Smart thinking." I said. "I might just promote you to Captain of Detectives yet."

"Don't you threaten me!" Tanya replied with a wicked grin. "Or I might just run over you like someone just ran over Amber."

"Touché." I said with a grin. "Okay, I've seen all I need to see. Y'all have a good night..."

Part 12 - Putting Out Fires

7:45am, Saturday, February 8th. I had intended to fly down to Midtown, but weather had come in. It was overcast and blustery, and promised precipitation of some kind. I was grounded by my air traffic controller. His name was 'Chief Moynahan'.

So I was in civilian clothes and cruising down the road in the Black Beauty. Teresa Croyle was with me, also in civilian clothes, and she was riding shotgun. I told her about the Amber Harris car crash.

"Sounds like someone is after her." Teresa said. "Good thing you have two Council Members as alibis."

"True, that." I said, inwardly chuckling at hearing the words I'd said myself at the scene.

"Any ideas on who might really be behind it?" Teresa asked. "Or is that a question I just shouldn't ask?"

"Hmmphf." I replied. "That's probably the case."

"Well, its just another distraction for you." Teresa said. After a moment, she realized I was not saying anything. "Don? You okay?"

"Uh, yeah." I said. "Reveries and driving probably don't mix. I was just thinking about what you said... distractions."

"Distractions from what?" Teresa asked.

"I dunno." I said. "Anyhoo, we're going to Midtown to speak to the State Senate Republican Conference. I have information that certain Democrats are threatening the Republican State Senators, saying that McGinty's Materials information on them will be released if they don't vote to convict Governor Jared."

I continued: "My intention is to tell them to call the Democrats's bluff, that McGinty's Materials is not in anyone's hands, and I know this because I busted McGinty, and his Materials are exactly as real as the Slender Man."

"Says the man whose back was broken by the aforementioned Slender Man." replied Teresa. (Author's note: 'Return of The Slender Man', Ch. 02-03.)

"But they don't know that." I said. "Anyhoo, my purpose is twofold. First, to basically tell them the threat is not real. And second, to hopefully find out who exactly is making those blackmail threats. If I can make a case, maybe I can make an arrest or two."

"You probably can't." said Teresa. "Todd heard about this from his lobbyists last night. Tasheeka Harris is the one making the threats, and she's pretty open about it. But you can't do anything because the Legislature is in session, and she has immunity from arrest while the Legislature is in session. The ol' 'Senator Russell' defense."

"That may be." I said. "But if I can get enough, I can try the case in another court... the Court of Public Opinion."

"And to play Devil's Advocate," Teresa said, "the Press hates you as much as they hate Jared. They won't help you."

"Not all of them hate me like KXTC and KSB do." I replied. "And it's also a matter of how I frame the conversation..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:45am, Saturday, February 8th. We arrived at the State Capitol and went to the office of State Senator Moe Molinari (R - Westphalia & Eastphalia). Also present was Lieutenant Governor Sharon Marshall.

"The meeting is in fifteen minutes." said Sen. Molinari. "We were hoping to surprise them with your presence, but word of your arrival got out, and the Establishment Elitists are already planning on neutralizing you."

Sharon Marshall said "Don, you may not realize it, but there are Republicans who want Governor Jared to be convicted. They don't care if it hurts the Party now or in the November elections, but they fully intend to help the Democrats get him out."

"The good news," said Molinari, "is that they don't know exactly why you're down here nor what you're going to say. But just be prepared for some flak..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:00am. We went into the large room where the Republican State Senators were gathering. Moe Molinari went to the podium. "Let's please take our places, everyone."

As they settled in, Molinari said "The reason we've called this meeting is because of certain potential crimes being committed, and blackmail threats against many of you in here." There were murmurs, which settled down as Molinari said "I've asked Commander Don Troy, who took down Bundy McGinty, to say a few words. Commander?"

"Thank you, Senator." I said as I came up to the podium. "I'll be brief so as not to waste your time. I have word, and the kind of word I hear as a Police Officer and SBI Reserve Agent, that some of you in here are being blackmailed to vote to convict Governor Jared. Someone is telling some of you that she has McGinty's Materials, and that information she has on you will be released publicly if you don't vote to convict the Governor in the Impeachment trial."

I continued: "Let me tell you folks something: I am the guy who busted Bundy McGinty. I've been looking for those so-called 'McGinty's Materials' from that day forward. Others are looking, as well; in fact, Federal Agents literally destroyed my home trying to find them. All I can tell you is that McGinty's Materials are exactly as real as the Slender Man."

It was dead silent in the room; not even a chuckle at that last lie. I continued: "I know that some of you have been threatened. You may not want to speak out publicly, in front of your colleagues, here, and I understand that. But if you contact me quietly and privately, I can keep your name out of the Media's hands. I will also say this: if you are being threatened, call their bluff! I can stand here and assure you that you have nothing to be afraid of, and calling them out will be successful---"

"How can you assure us of that?" yelled State Senator Cain Mitchell, who was from the late U.S. Senator Russell's home area of Rocktown, Aragon, and Van Waring. "Do you have those materials?"

"No I do not." I said. "And neither does Tasheeka Harris nor any Democrat Legislator! That's what I'm trying to tell you, here---"

"YOU'RE A GOD-DAMNED LIAR!" yelled Mitchell. "You can't prove that! What if they DO have those Materials? And I'll tell you something else, Don Troy! You're nothing but Jared's lapdog! You helped him suppress those women's credible claims----"

"They weren't credible!" I fired back.

"BULLSHIT!" blasted Mitchell. "I was there! I was there that day when you browbeat those women into false confessions I was there, I saw you do it!" (Author's note: 'The Saga Continues', Ch. 03.) "And on top of that, the Governor pardoned you after you raped that woman!"

That brought the red crowbar out, and I left the podium and went towards Mitchell. It looked like some Senators might try to stop me, so I stopped short and yelled "Say that one more time, in front of these witnesses, and I'll sue your ass to death for slander and defamation!"

"Do it, then!" yelled Mitchell. "Everybody knows you did it----" He stopped when Moe Molinari stood up.

"You better have proof, Mitchell." Molinari said. "I heard you say it, and if you can't prove it, the Iron Crowbar will take your sorry ass down! And I won't tolerate such lies myself. You better watch your tongue, Mitchell." Yes, that was a threat from a once-powerful Mob-related figure. It carried 'weight', maybe even more than the red crowbar did.

By now the room was buzzing with low pitched conversations. I went back to the podium and said "Once again, if any of you have been threatened and are willing to sign an affidavit to that effect, let me know privately and I'll use those affidavits to go after the blackmailers."

"Won't do you any good, asshole!" yelled Cain Mitchell again. "We Legislators are protected from arrest while the Legislature is in session!"

"That's not quite true." I replied. "You can still be arrested. We may have to transport you to and from the State Capitol every day, but see if I don't arrest you. And Mitchell, if I find that you are one of the blackmailers, I'll test my theory. And after the session is over, then nothing on God's green earth will save you when I bust your ass."

"We'll see about that!" yelled Cain Mitchell. "And you're nothing but Jared's dog shit, Troy! I'm going to rip you to shreds!"

"Is that a threat?" I barked, somewhat humored, but with an undercurrent of menace in my voice.

"It sure as hell is!" yelled Mitchell. "When I'm done with you, and the Press is done with you, you'll be nothing but a steaming pile of shit on the sidewalk!" With that, he tore off for the exit, and left the room.

"Like I said," I said, "if you've been threatened and want to talk to me, just call or text me. And I'll say this: I'm not trying to sway your vote. Whichever way you vote is your business. I just came to tell you this so that you can make your choice without a false Sword of Damocles over your heads..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well, that was... exciting." said Molinari as we sat down in the back room of the Midtown Luigi's restaurant.

"I'm sorry I missed it." said State Senator Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone (D - Southport). He had invited us to lunch as soon as the meeting had ended.

Teresa Croyle said "I know making law is like making sausage, but is it always that bad?" I couldn't tell if she was being humorous or serious...

"No among us Democrats, Commander Croyle." said Jimmy Cerone, and his grin gave away that he was teasing his colleague Molinari.

"That's not what I heard about the Black Caucus meetings when they talk about the Police." Molinari retorted. "Seriously, Commander Croyle, it's usually a lot more polite, and language like Cain Mitchell was using is absolutely frowned upon. He really was angry, Commander Troy. I think you touched a nerve with him, there."

"Yes, I think so." I said. "And I wasn't kidding when I said I may look into him as being in league with the blackmailer."

"Is Tasheeka Harris really the blackmailer?" asked Molinari, not caring that Cerone was sitting right across from him at the table.

"That's the information I have." I said. "Proof is another matter. I'm hoping to get some affidavits---"

*CHIME!*

"And there it is." I said. "First contact, as the Vulcans would say..."

Part 13 - Media Machinations

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redhead MILF reporterette from near the scene of Amber's car crash, at 7:00am, Monday, February 10th. "Commander Donald Troy has been accused of meddling in the Impeachment trial of deeply unpopular Governor Val Jared! We'll pause to allow our sister station KSB to join us."

Once she had the KSB audience, Bettina began: "Channel Two News has learned that Commander Donald Troy met with State Senate Republicans Saturday morning to persuade them to vote to acquit the Governor! The meeting was described as contentious, and at least one State Senator challenged Commander Troy's integrity."

Bettina: "As you know, Jared pardoned Troy for allegedly having sex with a woman in his custody in a quid pro quo arrangement after Troy browbeat two women, who had made credible accusations that Jared sexually harassed them, into recanting their accusations and confessing under duress that they made up the story."

Bettina: "Commander Troy's actions have outraged Legislators of both Parties. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, first showing Rep. Wilson Hammonds (R - Pottsville) saying "It is insulting that a local Police Officer, especially one with Commander Troy's lack of integrity, would blatantly interfere with our political process."

Then Tasheeka Harris was shown, saying "For the racist Commander Troy to be helping the racist Governor Jared in this quid pro quo arrangement shows they are both totally corrupt. I urge all State Senators to convict Val Jared. Anything less than a unanimous vote for conviction on all counts would show the racism of the Republican Party!"

Then Cain Mitchell was shown, saying "This is the last straw for me. I will be voting to convict Val Jared, and I urge my fellow Republicans to also do the right thing and convict him."

Back to Bettina live: "Commander Troy has refused to respond to repeated requests by KXTC for comment on this disturbing matter. And for our KSB viewers, back to you Tim!"

Now back to the local-only broadcast, Bettina said: "And the Town & County Police have no leads in the hit-and-run attack against reporter Amber Harris Friday night. Our colleague's car was rammed by another car, which drove off. Fortunately, Amber was not severely injured, but was held overnight at University Hospital for observation, and was released Saturday..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow, I wonder what's up with that?" I mused as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"What do you mean?" asked Tanya Perlman.

I replied "Usually when something happens to a reporter, that gets top billing and extensive coverage. But the attack on Amber wasn't mentioned until the end."

Cindy shrugged and said "Bettina wanted to get her shots at you in first, and with the State-wide feed." Tanya shook her head vigorously in disagreement.

"No ma'am." Tanya said. "Joanne interviewed Amber at the Hospital Saturday morning. She said Amber was surprisingly talkative, helpful, and candid in their discussions. She also said Bettina arrived while they were talking, and there was a decided chill in the air between Amber and Bettina."

"Hmmm." I said. "I saw Joanne's notes of that interview, and that's very interesting. Something's up about that."

"So Joanne got Amber to talk?" Cindy asked Tanya.

"Yes ma'am." said Tanya. "She went in the room, and the first thing she said was to ask how Amber's baby was. They talked motherhood for a while before Joanne even got to the interview part."

"That's very good on Joanne's part." I said. "But I think Amber was talkative for another reason, and I think it has to do Bettina. There's something there... there's something there..."

"Shall I bring him back to earth to ask about that crap with the Legislaturrrrre?" asked Chief Moynahan.

"Sure, sir." I said, back out of it by now. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything." the Chief said simply.

I chuckled, then said "Well, first of all, Cain Mitchell is Bettina's source. She used the same word he did vis-a-vis Rodman and Braselton: the word 'browbeat'. I recommend everyone watch the KFXU broadcast at 8:00am. And that reminds me... Cindy, will you have Captain Thompson call a Press Conference for me at 1:00pm this afternoon?"

"Sure." said Cindy. "As soon as I beat you down to find out what you did with the real Commander Troy. Why are you suddenly talking to the Press?"

"I need to set the record straight." I said. "I also need to publicly humiliate KXTC, call out a dirty Legislator, and put out some fires..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome!" said Catrina Pierce at 8:00am from the Fox 8 studios. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me as always is Meredith Peller. Good morning, Meredith."

"Good morning, Catrina." said Meredith brightly. "Let's go straight to Midtown and our Senior Political Reporter, Priya Ajmani. Priya!"