All Comments on 'Just Another Day on the Job'

by moreandmore

Sort by:
  • 58 Comments
26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
Good flash

I like to watch the old Colombo shows. Seems like you've mimicked him well. Left me needing more. Good stuff.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Clever, Fun & Entertaining!

My wife and I enjoyed this piece of flash fiction. The ending was superb and gave us a good chuckle!

TajfaTajfaabout 5 years ago
Very clever

Loved it.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsabout 5 years ago
And this is why . . .

. . . you never speak to the police.

It was a clever little flash story.

ThematchthatBurnsThematchthatBurnsabout 5 years ago
A really nice controlled action story.

I like to think that the next chapter of this great story will reveal the misfortunes about to occur to two betrayers!

Some extreme pain is called for, legal action against their employer etc.

Don't let us down, follow up please.

OaksfineOaksfineabout 5 years ago
Good flash

The self confession is a good angle I haven’t seen done before. Made the story worth reading. Great flash just wonder what happened in the divorce proceedings maybe can be used as a epilogue or something.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Nice angle...

...enjoyed your story. 5 stars. Thanx!

Loklie

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Now THAT was a 5-Star clever tale!

One of the best I've read here in a long, long time.

Tiger27Tiger27about 5 years ago

Great story! 4.4 stars

clarkgarbleclarkgarbleabout 5 years ago
very clever

Nice twist on the tired old plot device!

onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelyloveabout 5 years ago
Know your rights!

Just for emphasis—know your rights!!

texxmantexxmanabout 5 years ago
I’m a detective

I guess those two idiots had it coming. If some guy approaches you with that BS you at least ask for ID and if it looks serious a lawyer!

Crusader235Crusader235about 5 years ago
Hanging

Don't leave us hanging. There's a lot more to this story.

MightyHornyMightyHornyabout 5 years ago
That right to remain silent is, in most case, your best friend...

Doesn't even matter if you're innocent - waiting to first speak to a lawyer before talking to the cops is always your best bet.

Obviously, if the two cheaters here would have done that, they would have avoid getting divorced.

Smart, original take on the gathering-evidences phase of LW stories. You don't even need character development to fully enjoy it. This author really knows how to do some good flashes.

rnebularrnebularabout 5 years ago
A great flash

This is the kind of story I expect in a flash. Quick, hits the reader immediately from opening to close, and wasted no detail. Thanks for a nice treat this Thursday morning!

Rnebular

Richie4110Richie4110about 5 years ago
Love your style

Thanks for a nice short read early in the morning.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
That was so good a short

That was amazing thinking. Divorces coming up. Is that confession useable in court .most states no fault so it really doesn’t matter.

bruce22bruce22about 5 years ago
Fascinating Tale

Now why didn't I write lt? I had it all figured out after the first few lines! Everyone jumped on knowing your rights but how many have really been in this situation? The police will be after you for weeks just to make sure. The interesting detail is that adultery not being a crime I am not sure of what your rights are!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

Nice one.

Thanks for the story.

Cog

tazz317tazz317about 5 years ago
YOU JUST CANT TRUST ANYONE

cops ly-ing and worming out confessions from adulterers for.ambulance chasing P.I.s TK U MLJ LV NV

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 5 years ago
5***** because it was different!

I liked the idea. Yes, it probably would not work in real life, but it made for a fun read. Thank you for your originality.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Rights are Irrelevant

Old Jack is obviously a Private Investigator. Miranda warnings and self-incrimination only apply to actual law-enforcement officials. Either of the two idiots should have simply told Jack to drop dead but they apparently assumed he was a real cop. Tsk tsk..Good story.

LickideesplitLickideesplitabout 5 years ago
Twist is Pretty Obvious

Not a bad flasher, but the label of Inspector is not used in any aspect of law enforcement in the US I knew of. It looked and smelled like a PI trick from the outset.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
You silly boy...

Colombo? Yeah, I liked him, but that was back in the day when we believed detectives actually might work that way.

Still a fun short tale. I enjoyed it. Gave it a five

Jedd Clampett (carvohi)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Hey, dumb enough to cheat, with a co-worker, . . .

dumb enough to think you have no rights to remain silent. The next time they will both be more careful before outing themselves. Of course neither will likely be getting caught cheating again for a long time. You have to be married to be a cheater.

Thanks for a witty and fun read.

Tiger27Tiger27about 5 years ago
Well done!

Chuckle. I got a real kick out of this story. Creative and thoughtful, and you do a right smart job with the Queens English.

StormKing33StormKing33about 5 years ago
5* Short Intense Enjoyable

Totally enjoyed it. I was a big Columbo fan way back. I hope the state the cheaters lived in was a Fault divorce state. Original plot was nice read.

StormKing33StormKing33about 5 years ago
BTW...

I think police detectives in San Fran are called Inspectors.

fritz51fritz51about 5 years ago
Best Flash story I've read !

Good memories of Colombo. And to Storm King - Inspectors in San Fran - you bet -remember Inspector Callahan (Dirty Harry, for the youngsters)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
actually...

you only need prior commitment to be a cheater...marriage is a formality required by the church and state.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 4 years ago

‘Investigator‘ is NOT a term used (in the USA) forANY level of government (local, state or federal) law enforcement agent! The investigator did try to act and sound like an LEA, but him being sanctioned is very unlikely. He was certainly recording the cheaters’ answers, but ithe recording would not have to be played in a divorce court ... his testimony alone would suffice. It is unlikely that his questions reached the level of impersonating a law enforcement officer. If each of the cheaters had simply told him to get lost, they would still be under strong suspicion by Hubby ... but not screwed!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Well !

who cares about the legalities great yarn, M&M you have a devious mind, a lovely one I might add.

Grimjack01Grimjack01about 4 years ago
Mean

Well done and to the point, very well written.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Whoops! 5 stars

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 4 years ago
Delightfully original!

I got a real kick out of this one. The originality alone makes it worth reading.

MarkT63MarkT63almost 4 years ago
Very nice!!!

You are batting 1,000 so far!! Great story. 5 stars...

DazzyDDazzyDalmost 4 years ago
Stupid

People. I have a Lone Ranger badge, will that work?

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago

Again. That was one great story.

jimjam69jimjam69over 3 years ago

Fast and simple!

oldtwitoldtwitover 3 years ago

Great to the point just no sex

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Wow! Best ever.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapualmost 3 years ago

I've just read 3 stories from this author and all of it were very good.

The author is undoubtedly a very talented writer. Plots are fresh and the style of of writing done in amazing quality.

Thumbs up!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Idiots!

First, you ask for the badge, then call the actual police to verify identity. That would have made the “Investigator” backpedal very quickly.

Second, if it actually is police, you don’t talk to them. Don’t answer any questions. Refuse to go anywhere with them unless they actually arrest you. Demand an attorney and say nothing else. The police are NOT your friends, you aren’t helping their investigation, and they aren’t trying to ‘clear you’. The only reason the police want to talk to someone is if they are a suspect or a witness. Either way, the cops will try every authoritarian, manipulative, bullying trick they can to stitch you up for something. For police, everyone that’s not them is the enemy, and guilty of something.

ZK

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

Wonderful story! This might be your best story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

This is bullshit. The first thing that the internet gurus state is NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE! Also you have to be really dumb (must be Trump conspiracies supporters, lmao) not to require to see the officer’s police documents.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago
@anon 03/15/22

Not being hardened criminals like you seem to be, most people are not well versed in arrest etiquette, and tend to be cooperative with the police. And most intelligent people don't live their lives according to "internet gurus".

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 2 years ago

Who said cheaters were smart? The guy was just a detective not a cop. Duh!

ProfesseurXProfesseurXalmost 2 years ago

Some ridiculous comments.

This is a story not a lesson on how to handle a police interrogation. Most of us honest folks are quite cooperative with the police unless pushed around.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Impersonating a police officer. Not good!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

At no time did the PI impersonate a law enforcement officer. He merely identified himself as a "detective." His implied threats to arrest the adulterers if they were not forthcoming in response to his questions were toothless but were not illegal.

Calico75Calico7510 months ago

Excellent flash story!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

The number of stupid people in the world. Never ceases to boggle my mind.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Fun read and clever. And I didn’t catch it till the reveal.

Chimo1961Chimo19615 months ago

It what world do adults fall for an”Investigator”? Who does not know what a cop is, of their rights? Who waives their rights. Anyone having an affair is usually tune to new folks and very suspicious. This is utter malarkey and belongs in the fantasy section

NudeInMaineNudeInMaine4 months ago

Funny…. 5 stars

Rayjag1980Rayjag19804 months ago

3*'s. Who's going to open up like that to a private investigator? Story has potential but the misdirection just didn't work.

Busman19639Busman196394 months ago

Cute story. I liked the twist.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Clever story. Good plot. Nicely done by the "detective" and now the fallout begins......... BardnotBard

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usermoreandmore@moreandmore
A day without sex is like, um, just kidding. I have no idea. I am judged by what I've done and haunted by what I didn't do. I write stories in an attempt to entertain. If it evokes hate filled or non-constructive comments then I smile while I delete them. I won’t have you...

story TAGS