Just Good Friends

Story Info
Impact of a wife's 'friendship' with another man.
4.4k words
3.85
34.2k
83
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
satindesires
satindesires
1,336 Followers

I like the loving wives category but it can be difficult to come up with something different and the comments are often ruthless. I try to explore alternate realities or situations with angst.

I don't work with an editor but I do spell and grammar checks and proof read but bound to miss some. If that bothers you too much maybe think about reading something else.

Also check the tags and avoid the themes that make you angry, otherwise I hope you enjoy them, they are free and they are just stories.

Best Wishes Satin.

***

"I am worried about you guys you seem to be drifting apart, are you ok?"

It was my daughter Rachel who voiced the first concern. I did the dad thing even though Rachel was 21 and reassured her we were fine, at the same time the cogs started slowly turning in my mind... were we? I trusted my wife Moira with my life, we'd been together 23 years, but Rachel was right, something was off. We weren't ever perfect but we were pretty bloody good. But since Rachel had left home we seemed to drift, I had tried, tried a lot actually, suggested dates, trips and time together.

A typical response to my efforts would be, "That sounds lovely Ian, but the next few weeks look busy, so let's do it next month."

Moira just seemed more interested in her friends, voluntary work and hobbies, she was out most days for lunch, if Rachel had noticed, it must be worse than I had thought.

Moira was an attractive woman, she had a great sense of style and a warm engaging personality. I did ok for myself, decent job and income, kept myself pretty fit as I headed toward the big 5-O.

I recalled happier times including our wedding day, I had felt like the luckiest man alive. Everything went perfectly, although the best man's speech was a bit more embarrassing than I would have liked, with references to the rather raucous stag do... not that I remembered much of it.

One thing about Moira's 'Hen Do' was a bit strange; her life-long best friend Vince Hurst went on it with all the girls. I didn't think too much of it, they were really close friends. I wondered if he might be gay as I hadn't noticed any girlfriends with him, then again I'd never seen any boyfriends either.

They often met up for drinks or meals out, I felt a bit uncomfortable about it, so asked Moira about their relationship. She reassured me that there never had been and never would be any romantic element to their friendship. I believed her totally, Moira just wasn't the lying type; she prided herself in being open and honest.

***

After we got married we moved towns for better job prospects, which worked out well. We both established a new network of friends and I wasn't upset with the idea of Mora seeing less of Vince, although they did stay in touch with each other.

We settled down to married life and our first and turns out only child Rachel came along almost two years later. Moira easily slipped into the role of doting mother and we couldn't have been happier.

Years later, just as Rachel was moving out to live with friends, Vince took a job closer to where we lived. Moira had lost touch with some of her old friends and seem to pounce on the opportunity to rekindle her friendship with Vince. It was lunches and drinks and catching up with each other's lives.

That brought me back to Rachel's comment, she was right, we seemed to be drifting and I felt a bit neglected, not helped by the fact we were both missing Rachel. Moira's posts on social media with Vince didn't help; neither did some comment enquiring if he was her husband.

Moira's 47th Birthday party at our house compounded my feelings, she was constantly at Vince's side, laughing and joking with their friends. Anyone who didn't know would think they were the married couple.

Our long term neighbour and good friend Linda caught me unawares, "Are you ok Ian, you look a bit off colour?"

I tried to deflect but she knew me well and pushed enough until I shared my concerns.

"You guys are ok though aren't you? I know Vince is a good friend, we can have friends of the opposite sex, it's the same as us when you think about it."

"I don't know Linda, it feels like if we spent as much time together as those two, we'd develop a deeper relationship, who knows where that would lead."

I guessed Linda must have mentioned something to Moira as a little while later she strutted over to me, "What have you been saying to Linda and what is this nonsense about being ignored."

"Just that my wife hasn't spoken to me all night, but has plenty time for everyone else."

"We're hosting, I have to get around everybody who came."

"Except you haven't, you can't seem to tear yourself away from Vince."

I could see the fury in her eyes, "What are you talking about, you're being ridiculous and petty, we're just friends, the fact he is male is irrelevant."

"Is it... you're all over each other, makes me wonder what else is going on."

"There is nothing 'else' going on and you need to get a grip!"

She took a breath and stormed away. Damn, I felt awful, it was her Birthday and I'd created an argument. We didn't speak for the rest of the night and it didn't get much better over the next week. I made an attempt to apologise and was promptly shot down in flames; there was certainly no contrition on Moira's part.

When we did eventually talk, it wasn't great. She announced that Vince wanted her to go on a weekend city break with him. I wondered if they had set this up to test me out and see how I'd react. The fact that crossed my mind, made me realise how much trouble we were in, once you lose trust, it's difficult if not impossible to regain.

"And you want to go! Are you serious, given where we are, you're going for this option, at this time?"

"We're friends and we get on really well; there isn't anything untoward, just a trip away and I could do with a break."

"I know, I suggested plenty of them and you turned me down flat, but you can make time for him. So just where and when you going on your break from us?"

Moira's gaze looked down "It's a special late deal, next weekend to... Rome."

"Fuck, so I can assume you've have already said yes then; and Rome was where we've talked about going for years, but you couldn't find the time, that's just charming."

Moira softened her approach, "Look I know it's not ideal Ian but it's just a few days. It's not sexual or romantic. You don't own me, you can't dictate who my friends are and it's only your jealousy that is causing a problem."

"I can't and don't want to control you, and yes I am jealous when he gets so much of your time and energy. You have an emotional relationship with him; he gets the best of you already: dates and now trips away."

"They aren't dates and it's not like that. I love you not Vince!"

"Do you really, it doesn't feel like it. Can I assume you talk to him about us, share details about our relationship?"

That tact threw her, "Sometimes, he helps me see things from your point of view and think things through."

"Yeah that's working out fantastically isn't it! I doubt he and I see things the same way and you're further away from me than ever. Do you talk about our sex life?"

"Not really, just snippets."

"Come on Moira even you must realise that is private, there's no way you should be talking to him about that stuff. You're sharing more with him; it sounds like your married to him rather than me."

"Come on Ian, that's not true, I am your wife but I can't let him down now."

"You're going anyway; the decision has already been made without my involvement. When did my opinion stop counting: you don't value it, you only value your own and Vince's.

As the trip approached we became more distant, I got the impression Moira had some regrets but didn't want to back down. I was pleased to be at work when she set off on Friday morning.

There was a goodbye text, "I do love you and do value you. I'll be back before you know it... will ring later."

I thought about going to a bar and getting smashed or going to my sister Janice's house, we'd often fought, but she was always in my corner when needed and would happily slag off Moira if she thought it would help me. In the end I did neither and settled for a quiet night in, thinking about my marriage. I had some decisions to make; I didn't want to go on like this.

***

I got a call from her that night and seriously thought about not answering, I swiped up with a monotone "Hey."

"Hi honey, we got here fine and the hotel is lovely. I just wanted to check in with you."

"Yeah well, thanks for the call, at least I know you are safe."

"We had a look around the Coliseum this afternoon and we are going to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps tonight... it's truly wonderful."

"Sounds great, all the places we wanted to explore and talked about."

"I'll throw a coin in the Trevi and wish to come back with you, you'll love it."

"It won't be the same Moira; I wanted to discover those things with you as a couple."

Don't turn this into another fight Ian, I am regretting how things are between us and sorry I left as I did. I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. I'll say this again: there is N-o-t-h-I-n-g going on ... we are not having sex."

She spelled out nothing and said it like she was talking to a 2 year old. "Well you're in another country with a different man, so something is going on."

Moira shouted, "Arrghhh, you're impossible", then the line went dead.

***

I felt alone and shattered and there was no call Saturday night. Again social media posts weren't helping, Rome looked amazing. There were a few comments from family asking where I was, I noted the 'friends weekend away' response.

Rachel called; she'd seen the social media posts but was still shocked when I confirmed they were in Rome together. I provided a summary of our conversations and that her mum was always going on the trip regardless. Rachel wanted to call her but I insisted she stay out of it.

"It's pointless, she thinks it's my fault for being jealous; she isn't doing anything wrong and I am over-reacting. She seems to think that if they are not having sex it's all good."

"Well she might have a point dad, she's allowed friends and trips away with friends aren't anything unusual. Maybe you are being a bit you know... jealous."

I tried to bite back the irritation, "Like I say Rachel it's better for you to stay out of it, there is a wider problem that neither you nor your mum can see."

***

When she returned on Sunday tea time, Moira tried to hug and kiss me, I didn't stop her but it was a stiff half hearted effort. We tried to talk to each other but it was awkward with some false starts, I'd never had to think before speaking to her before; I sensed she felt the same things.

"I'm sorry about not calling yesterday, my head is all over the place and I'm not used to us arguing. I really missed you, but I had every right to go on this trip. I know we need to talk more to sort this all out."

"Do you mean talk, or just make me come around to your way of thinking. What if I took Linda on a trip to Paris for the weekend?"

"That wouldn't be appropriate, she's divorced."

"So what...Vince is single."

"It is different, she is attracted to you?"

"Are you suggesting that Vince isn't attracted to you."

I could see her hesitation, so I pressed on, "Has he ever told you he is in love with you?"

"What, no! We haven't ever considered anything like that."

"But you know he is... don't you? The way he looks at you and hangs on what you say."

"I ....I, maybe there's something there, it's one of the reasons I can't let him down. Imagine having those feelings for someone for all of that time, knowing it won't ever be more."

"You can't have us both Moira, keeping him so close might be stopping him moving on. He might have met a stunning Italian woman this weekend. And it's impacting us, all I feel is a sense of abandonment."

"Come on Ian, we're both confident and independent people, we've never lived in each other's pockets."

"You know I can't reconcile that the person who is supposed to care for me above all others... is more bothered about her friend than me. Have a think about how much effort and time you've put in for us beyond the daily routine, compared to what you do for Vince and your other friends."

***

I was surprised when the knock on my door turned out to be Vince, he asked to come in.

"Moira isn't here Vince, she's at work."

"I know, it's you I wanted to see."

"I shouldn't be surprised; you are her confidant after all. I would imagine she tells you everything we discuss."

"She is my friend, you have nothing to worry about, if I was a woman this wouldn't be an issue."

"I don't think that is true, it might be less of an issue, but whoever it was, if the end result is growing apart and not sharing things with each other, that is always going to cause a problem. Tell me something, what do you two talk about?"

"Anything... everything I suppose."

"So like your thoughts, ideas, plans, and hopes."

"Yeah all of that and a thousand and one other things... most of it nonsense."

I paused trying to let that sink in, "I miss that, we just seem to talk about mundane things now, the house, bills, family. I guess you have a nice time, meals out and lunches."

"Well yeah, we do those things and I love her company."

"Again it must be nice, do you know how many times I have suggested meals out and trips away, doing different or romantic things. I have lost the person I shared hopes and dreams with; you have a more fulfilling relationship with her than I do."

"Jesus Ian just talk to her, tell her how you're feeling. I know she loves you."

"I have tried; she thinks it's about sex, that I am jealous and controlling; it never makes any difference... I've lost her."

"Don't say that Ian, Moira would be devastated, she does love you. Listen I didn't realise it was that bad, I just thought you were being a jealous idiot. I can stop seeing her; I don't want to be the one causing a problem."

I grimaced, "That is quite an offer considering you love her. Well you have offered something which she is unwilling to do; she has chosen you every time. The truth is you are a better friend to her, than she is a wife to me."

He spluttered in response to that, I'd had enough and walked him to the door, "Oh and Vince, don't come back again, I might not be as friendly next time."

***

Moira wanted to talk after dinner, "Vince said he'd been to see you, he read me the riot act, said that if he knew you would be this upset he wouldn't have suggested the trip, he admitted that he monopolises my time."

"So you shared all of our previous conversations with him and then what... met him today to share the results of his visit. Can you see why I feel like an outsider in this relationship at all?"

Moira still didn't seem to get it and went on with the Vince feedback, "When I said you'd get over it, Vince told me to get my head out my arse and that I needed you."

"So you listen when he says the same things I do; of course, I shouldn't be surprised."

Moira ploughed on, "No one including you has the right to control me. I'll admit I got my priorities mixed up but it's not sexual."

"If I thought you'd had sex, you'd already be out on your ear. Forget about the sex, you're still putting him first, you're his best friend not mine and that relationship is damaging us.

Look Moira, this is a genuine question: why aren't you with him? You seem happier when you're together and you've pretty much dismissed me. Before you left; it was all about what you and he needed. You hardly paused to consider how I felt, that's not love and shows a complete lack of respect."

"I'm sorry, I do love you and respect you, you're always ok though, the strong dependable one."

"That's' not completely true Moira, I build a lot of that strength from our relationship, us as a team, supporting each other. Here's a challenge, don't share any of this conversation with Vince."

"But he's bound to ask?"

"Oh for fucks sake I give up. Try respecting our relationship and prioritising it over your friend. It really shouldn't be that hard Moira. There are three of us in this relationship and I'm coming in a distant third. Are you getting a kick out of two men chasing you, keeping a man hanging on that is obviously in love with you? Well I opt out, I am leaving, I'll go visit Janice for a while."

***

It was nice staying with Janice, she was a good sounding board, if felt like so long since I had someone in my corner, supporting and caring... it was the polar opposite to my marriage in recent times.

We had a lot of shared memories and both liked a drink so it was a good release. It was nice to catch up with my nieces and nephews as they were on the brink of exploring the big wide world for themselves. To be honest I felt better and more relaxed than I had done in ages.

Moira was in touch most days, asking when I was coming back, she was distraught and lost without seeming. She was sorry everything had gotten so out of control and was trying to see things from my point of view.

Rachel was horrified when she found out I had left, her mum was hysterical on the phone to her, pleading that she was desperate for me to return. I arranged dinner with Rachel to try and explain, we went to a nice restaurant and surprise surprise, who was there but Moira and Vince. We both saw them huddled in a booth smiling and laughing.

Just as I was deciding that we wouldn't be chased away, Rachel stormed over to their table.

"How could you! You cry on the phone to me, telling me how unreasonable dad is and that you're distraught without him and here you are, having a wonderful time! It's clear to see where your priorities are."

Moira and Vince's mouths hung open and her neck blotched purple with embarrassment, I stood back feeling quietly entertained.

Rachel's tirade continued, "I don't blame him for leaving you, you're a self-centred bitch."

She turned to Vince, "And as for you, what the fuck is the matter with you, trailing around after a married woman for years like a love sick puppy, get a fucking life and move on. Can't you see it, she loves having you on a string at her beck and call, you're the ultimate ego boost, she doesn't even need to fuck you to keep you happy."

She turned to me, "We're leaving!"

I really couldn't think of anything to add and turned to walk out with her, leaving the stunned 'couple', not to mention the rest of the restaurant.

I knew it was coming; Rachel almost made it to the car before she burst into tears, her legs giving way as I caught up with her and guided her into the passenger seat.

It took a while before she could speak, "Sorry dad, you were right, I can't believe her."

"Yeah, sadly she still doesn't get it."

***

Moira looked aghast at her daughter, "What do you mean your dad's gone to Paris with Linda?"

Well mum, "It proves you were right all along I guess, dad can have a female friend just like you have."

"No he can't, he said he'd take me to Paris."

"Yeah he said something about asking, but you being too busy."

"We're still married he can't be taking that floozy for a romantic weekend, it's not right."

"Relax mum it's not romantic, they are just friends."

"I know what you are doing but this is different, she will be getting her hooks into him."

"Why are you even bothered mum, you been moving away from dad for years, you put everyone in front of him."

"I didn't mean too, I mean he's well... Ian, he is always going to be there, it's not something I had to focus any effort on."

"Well you had better get refocused and quickly, this trip is plutonic, but if you keep fucking up, there are other women out there that would be more than interested in dad.

satindesires
satindesires
1,336 Followers
12