All Comments on 'Just Old Friends'

by Mainefiddleheads

Sort by:
  • 72 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
good LW story !

Well MFH , I enjoyed this story very much. A lot better offering than your last 3 or 4 postings. Now I remember why I had you in my favorite new LW authors lineup. Good job. 4*'s. ( I rarely give 5's)

Cpprcrk

chytownchytownover 8 years ago
Very Enjoyable Read*****

Thanks for sharing. Very entertaining read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I'm still waiting

for a story in this genre where I can generate an ounce of sympathy for the poor poor hurt man. He was dumb enough to make a mistake with Charlene. I see no evidence that his judgement would be any better with Colleen - perhaps she's just as much the dumb whore that Charlene is. Women are like that, aren't they.

Oh, yeah. I forgot. This is a fantasy. Happy endings where the poor poor man gets his reward. I am beginning to wonder whether that was his problem in the first place.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 8 years ago
Nice

A good tale of cheating and it's consequences. It lost a point when our hero's squeeze was a cheating cunt herself but still it was a solid tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

this was a fucking mess.

impo_61impo_61over 8 years ago
Good story...stories like this refresh the air in LW...

Good story...stories like this refresh the air in LW...3*

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 8 years ago
I had to Google the name and

found that "Fiddleheads from ostrich ferns are an iconic spring edible in Maine." Now I know where the name came from. It's just that the names of the ladies, Charlene and Colleen, sounded more southern than I'd expect in Maine. The story had some amusing parts, but lacked any sort of tension. I think it may be because the husband didn't really give a shit that the wife left. That takes away a lot of the drama, as well as the interest.

sbrooks103sbrooks103over 8 years ago
Not Bad

You shouldn’t pick names so similar! His ex-wife is Charlene, but when Colleen came into his shop you called her “Charlene”!

Minor nit-pick: "I need somebody to go over the truck out there with a comb” – The actual expression is “go over with a FINE-tooth comb.”

“Colleen wouldn't have anything to do with the police” – Why the fuck not? You need to get that stuff documented in case something else happens.

"Mike, we have been together for too long not to try to sit down and have a conversation." – It didn’t occur to her to have a conversation BEFORE hitting him with divorce papers?

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
4*s

I liked your story very much . Award you 4*s. I am laughing out loud, thinking about how far away this is from Sonoma. I don't believe this was due to my suggestion. But I definitely enjoyed reading it!!

I realize that for you,Mainefiddleheads this is simple and probably not a challenge to write.

You didn't go to very much character development. The plot, well let's say jumping to conclusions after almost 20 years together. Not communicating with the spouse. Finally,pulling the trigger on an unsuspecting spouse. That is not new and not a complex plot.

Still, you did it with such fluid grace! I really believe you earned the 4*s. I thank you very much for your effort.

AMerryman

spredmspredmover 8 years ago
Colleen

Didn't care for Colleen's character Jr.high principle with a trash mouth meeting every Thursday for lunch, using that kind of language in a restaurant hurt the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
It was okay

Not great, but good. Got the characters confused for a while because their names were so similar. There's a much better story in LW today. Still, it wasn't cucky and the writing was good except for the paragraph breaks in the middle of sentences. That may be Lit's fault. Hope you keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
# 5 The best thing Ive read lately

A hell of a lot better than all this gay husband wimp crap that seems to be the fad lately. I mean why get married if you want to suck some others guys dick. Good read, thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
From Duna

I prefer and I write wife change stories so 5*****.

Where is Frontlinecaster?

soldierboy50401soldierboy50401over 8 years ago
Common Core Math

Somehow, you managed to round 96.2 up to 93, LOL! A minor quibble for an otherwise enjoyable little tale!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Why

Why is this in literotica and not Reader's Digest?

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Proofread

Good story. I enjoyed it. But please proofread before you send it. There were a number of wrong words of the type spellchecker would not catch. Such as when Sandy's hubby threatened to "nut [Mike] like a pig."

bruce22bruce22over 8 years ago
Pleasant Read

That is probably a negative since the topic requires the narrator to be filled with tension and fairly angry. But I have to admit that I enjoyed it. It could use better proofreading, but then I am still finding errors in my Ph.D. thesis!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
It's in LIT dear annony so we can read it in the LW section. And it's ther to piss you foor. Why aren't you in asssholes of the month magizine?

that's where you belong!!

soldierboy50401soldierboy50401over 8 years ago
VVV TO THE ANONY BELOW VVV

I think the anony you referenced was actually paying a compliment to the author by suggesting the story belonged in Reader's Digest. Take a chill pill, dude.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Such a guy piece

Punchy, declarative sentences combined with a "who, ME?" and a "I could care less" attitude (actually, it's "I couldn't care less") add up to a manly but overall boring read. Your story could be so much better if Mike was blessed with just a smidgen of introspection and patience. Instead, for Mike, it's grab another beer and tell the world to fuck off. And Charlene (or is that Charlotte?) is a love-less conniver. The other one is a foul-mouthed dirty trickster. Mike, Mike, get away from these women as fast as you can. On the other hand, these characters seem to deserve each another. MFH, you can do better, I've seen it. Well, fuck it, I'm grabbin' another beer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
It was OK. Kind of stupid, but OK.

Sounds like the marriage was dead way before Charlene got the photo and started fucking dicky boy. The husband gets reacquainted with an old dear friend, starts a regular friendship with her, and never tells his wife? "How was your day, Honey?" "I can't believe it, but an old friend from my childhood just moved back into town. Just divorced from a real shit head. She's a real character, she stole his phallic symbol, and I can't wait to introduce you." "Really, what's her name? Let's have her over for dinner. Tell me all about her." That's how a truly married couple discuss reconnecting with an old friend. So the cheating and divorce was simply the next logical step for this walking dead marriage.

And the delayed hookup with Coleen was kind of hokey, since Coleen apparently knew something was going on with dickey boy. She should have been ready and waiting for Charlene to split. But whatever, it was still better than 90% of what we have to read lately in LW. Thanks for your contribution to the better stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Colleen's Divorce Terms

Her Ex probably figured that she had never driven it and wouldn't want it, he would get the more valuable vehicle by default.

Some years ago a guy saw an ad in a paper for a Cadillac for 50$, he figured there had to be a catch but called anyway. The car was in good shape and was being sold for that price. The seller was divorced and had to sell the car and send the money to ex as part of the settlement..

People do really stupid stuff all the time, just because you wouldn't, doesn't mean it can't happen.

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
thanks

for an interesting story.

sbrooks103sbrooks103about 8 years ago
Further Comment

Another nit-pick: “shaking that rug” – That should probably be either “CUTTING that rug” or “shaking that ASS”!

sbrooks103sbrooks103about 8 years ago
One MORE Nit-Pick!

“before he ever entertains your offer to grant him with your presence." – I believe that should be “GRACE him with your presence,”

PennMusicPennMusicabout 8 years ago
Check your math...

"So 26 weeks, that's 96.2, oh Hell, let's round that up to 93."

What is this, Common Core Math at work again? lol

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

So basically he has a major emotional affair and makes it so obvious tgat she buys the bullshit and the first thing he does is fuck another guy's wife. Unlikable ass. Sleeping with some dumb slut on a lark is how you get disease and help fuck up marriages.

oldwayneoldwaynealmost 8 years ago
Better than most!

Five Stars!

bonnietaylor2bonnietaylor2almost 8 years ago
5

great read. Annony is a fucking fool, he hates everything. What a sad little faf he must be in real life.

BestreadingBestreadingalmost 8 years ago
Engaging Read

Enjoyed this story. Looking over your other pieces as well. Keep them coming please.

GoodhueGoodhuealmost 8 years ago
Fast-moving Fun!

So,what's Colleen's phone number?! I'd sure like to meat her,ah,meet her!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

MFH,

I don't know if you meant to portray this or not, but Mike was one dumbass.

I don't know if you have ever been in a serious relationship with spouse/mate/fiance but to have Mike seeing a woman by themselves every day in an obviously small town without telling his wife anything about her, is showing the wife extreme disrespect. He should have told Charlene about her from the minute she moved back.

That being said, the idiot Charlene should not just drop panties and bang the fuckwad without ever talking and confronting Mike.

So stupidity on both parts, not a good read when both main characters are morons.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Very nice..

Wow!! That was a very cunning way you two devised to drive a wedge in your marriage and get your wife to cheat just so yáll can move in together. thats why after a year neither one had told your wife you two were talking, and were friends only? She did it to you with your wife she´ll do it again with some other sucker.

boatbummboatbummabout 7 years ago
A Good Story, But....

....I don't feel that the "Sandy" scenario was necessary. No need to make Mike a bad guy for boinking someone else's wife - even if he didn't know she was married and catting around.

Still 5*, of course.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
rounding up

96.2 would round up to 97

Not sure how you got 93 must be Maine mathematics!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Mike doesn't seem so innocent

Why didn't Mike tell Charlene about Colleen? He's hanging out with her for months, having lunch and even driving her daughter around, and he doesn't once mention it to his wife?

In fact, he even lies to Charlene about it, saying he is going "out on a call" when really he is going to see Colleen.

It seems that Mike was having an Emotional Affair. True, it was not sexual the way Charlene's was, but it was just as damaging. Perhaps a part of the reason their marriage was "slowly drifting off" was because Mike was no longer involved in the marriage. He was living another life with Colleen, pretending he was married to her instead of Charlene and, perhaps, pretending Colleen's daughter Christine was the child he was never able to have. Mike didn't tell Charlene about it because then Charlene would want to get to know Colleen as well. Going out on double dates and having Colleen and her daughter over for a barbecue would have messed with Mike's fantasy. So, of course, he doesn't tell her and sets the story's events in motion.

Mike is just as guilty as Charlene is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
if it was a wife...

Running around for a year having weekly lunches with ''old friend'' and not mentioning it to husband most commenters would be howling about emotional affair is bad as sexual one.

So I concur with those who attributed blame to husband.

Add in that according to author all three were regulars at diner and I can see why wife decided to balance scales...am certain word had spread through town long before wife was shown photo and she had lived with knowledge of the ''secret lunches'' for months.

My take is he wanted out and pushed wife into affair...why else would he not tell wife about friend?????

timrivtimrivover 6 years ago

Another marriage fucked up by others. Being able to comunicate with ones spouse would have stopped it dead but they never did, Sad ending with no retribution on Dickey.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Emotional Affair

He and his wife were bored and he had a regular lunch with a woman he never told her about. Therir marriage was already weakened by his actions. Sure, she cheated, which is inexcusable, but he might as well have. Having another woman in on a secret is also inexcusable. How would anyone react to a picture, especially with the coldness already present between them? It would have been a richer story if the wife knew and was unreasonably jealous, which caused her to cheat. As it was, Colleen’s actions were vindictive and callous. Our hero was not blameless. He was shitty and devaluing, even if he didn’t cheat.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 6 years ago
The marriage was doomed anyway

There was no communication between them. She was coming home late and he didn't really care. He didn't tell her about his old friend. How would you not tell your wife about the whole incident with Dennis? Both are to blame but they were done long before they knew it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Could you imagine? Motive, Means, and Opportunity...

The Motive is the land. The means is the divorce, and paperwork that traces it. The Opportunity is when they sell out,,,

And that, would result in an "Alienation of Affection" lawsuit of truly monumental size. Figure at least a million for the land's value. Figure another million for the Loss of Affection. Figure another few million for the punitive damages- and this all against the Real Estate company. Then another few million against Dickey Johnson on a personal lawsuit. And since this was all intentional there's no way in hell any insurance is going to cover this!!

An the Ex- wife would be ineligible for this; only the jilted husband.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreealmost 6 years ago
Good story.

Just read to most recent comments on the story.

Some of them are among the most stupid I've ever read!

He pushed her into an affair, someone of the anons said.

What horse shit!

People aren't pushed into cheating!!!

They can be tricked or dragged, but NEVER pushed!

It might though be a word a cheater used, in her/his excuses.

Are you a cheater anon?

Then there was mentioned an emotional affair with a friend.

What?!

It's called an emotional relationship, you idiot!

That's what friends have.

The husband did nothing wrong, in this story.

The marriage was dying and no reason to share

emotional friendship with an unemotional wife.

The husband wasn't perfect, but not guilty of anything.

The wife was a stupid, cheating slut.

As simple as that!

This was good writing and a great plot.

The plot could've been made more interesting

by giving us readers some clues, before revealing

the scumbags plan.

Like telling us of the girlfriends dig in the house and land market beforehand.

Give us some time to scratch our heads and wonder what was going on.

Maybe that's just me, but I like puzzles, lol.

Anyway, this story gets top ratings from me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Why

Why did he not sue Sandy's husband for assault.?

widowedidiotwidowedidiotover 5 years ago
Really? What?

He had a standing lunch date with a woman his wife knew nothing about, he also drove her daughter around without bothering to tell his wife? Not to mention Whatever time of the night she called he would run over to her house. What did he expect his wife would do? How would he have felt if it was his wife doing the same thing herself? Then there was Dicky filling her head with all this stories and pictures, Pictures!! What more did she need? I think all that happened was because of his actions. Why was it so easy for him to take his friend to his dinner date with his wife? But yet. Why was it so hard to have told his wife about her?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Good Story

I liked it. No critiques. Five stars.

26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
Great story

MFH is definitely in the top.tier of writers on LW. Just another one of his great stories.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 4 years ago
As always, you tell a great story! 5*****

It rang true, held together, and was engaging. Great job!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Incomplete

what about getting some payback on Dickey?

lukeey90lukeey90about 3 years ago
Wimp

This guy is weak

ScorpioJJScorpioJJalmost 3 years ago

No punishment for Dickey? No children of his own because he stood by his barren wife who turned into a stupid whore.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Good story, HOWEVER, you make the easily corrected mistake that soooo many authors do. You use somewhat similar names. Therefore when Colleen drives into the garage she is called Charlene, annoying. Get a book on baby's names and this shouldn't happen again (although one author called Hele, by Hellen, Holy and Nora on ONE page). Since he no longer loved his wife, getting revenge on Dickey was hardly worth the effort. I thanked the guy who gave me an excuse to dance out of a worthless marriage.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What gets me with this story is that there's no love in it. Mike and Charlene don't love each other so it's not surprising that Charlene cheated. If this was a real life story that's exactly what I would expect. The author doesn't get any emotion across in the breakup. It's just kinda flat and meaningless.

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 2 years ago

"But, first, he had to get you away from him so he could be with me."

This is just one of head scratching nonsense among many of them. The guy gets Charlene so that he could be with Coleen.

Yes, indeed. Darlene, Coleen, Sheryl, Sandy, Dickey, Bobbi... where are Jolene and Darlene? Yup, the redneck Deep South apparently. The conversations fit right in the trailer park called Tennessee.

They do have calculators in there, 3.7 times 26 = 96.2 LOL.

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

Very good story, but I agree that Dicky should have gotten his head busted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

There’s no feeling in this story I ended up pissed off with the husband cos he said nothing about loving his wife or Colleen for that matter an he put his friend before his wife eg dropping everything when she called him

MarkT63MarkT63over 2 years ago

Good story. Straight forward...

pummel187pummel187over 2 years ago

the husband is a DIPSHIT or retarded.... You never told your wife that your best friend growing was a girl???? and when that girl came across your path again, you gobbled down another retard sandwich and still didn't tell her

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What about Dickey. Needed some payback on him.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Nice little story but for me at least , one point missed .

Having realised she's made an error , Charlene tried to get her husband back , even tracking down Sandy's partner and ' introducing ' him to Mike .

Yet the real cause of her marriage woes got away scot free . Any woman I know would have scratched Dickey Johnsons eyes out after realising she had been played .

4 *

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Only part I don't get is how you don't tell your WIFE. The woman you are married too and love...that your best friend growing up just moved back to town. Oh and by the way...that best friend? She's an attractive woman.

Shit. You HAVE to tell your wife. You HAVE to invite your best friend (and her daughter) over to meet your wife and show her that she's not a danger to your marriage. You DO NOT keep that shit a secret from your wife. Because then it looks like you are intending to keep it all a secret for the wrong reasons.

Any married man knows this shit. Huge plot hole. What is a spouse supposed to think when she (or he) finds out their husband (or wife) has a best friend of the opposite sex? That they meet regularly. Like standing Thursday dates for lunch at the diner. Yet the other spouse knows nothing about it all? Because hubby never says a word about it. That's a fucking emotional affair. And hubby IS guilty. It's not covered here...but he IS guilty AF. Sorry.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Cute story

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Umm Charlene sees a single photo of a kiss and hug and instead of confronting hubby or getting a PI to investigate, she jumps into bed with Dickey and then files for divorce? Really? Might have been different if it was a photo-shopped fake or a fake PI report by a concerned friend. But really?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

To commenters below: thr MC did tell his wife about the lunches, but did not appear to have full disclosure about how close they were growing up. But in real life I am sure would tell her never been remotely romantic. But yeah maybe should have clarified lunches were weekly and just friends. Even then it would have been easy enough for Charlene to hire a PI and sort all this out. Despite being a moron it is clear that Charlene loved her husband and only acted because she was gullible and tricked.

iammweaseliammweaselover 1 year ago

Same old, same old. Dumb by the book LW wife, who is tricked by a dude into believing her husband was fucking someone else (with no proof whatsoever) and then climbs into bed with them.

The only thing this did was get the knuckle dragging omega boys who cried about a lack of Dicky getting an ass whooping all wet in their diapers.

Says so much about them and not in a good way, not that they would understand regardless.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Charlene was not smart. She got tricked way too easily. The photos were harmless. But she misinterpreted them buying the bs from the asshole real estate agent. I actually don't think she premeditated her affair. She reacted without much rational thought. Had remorse and broke up with the asshole womanizer, but had burned all bridges.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

To Charlene and other such dumb loving wives: get a PI to investigate or confront your husband. Husband thiugh should have disclosed more about Colleen earlier.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Charlene was quite stupid.

StubbyoneStubbyoneabout 1 year ago

Number 1, get an editor ! Missed words, wrong names, etc. re-read it before you submit it. He had an emotional affair long before his wife had the physical affair. Keeping the friendship from his wife oened the door. Only a 3. Not believable! No 😊’s

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Not bad. Good storytelling. The grammar is off-putting in places. For example: "the Collins' and Bobby Jones Mom" should be "the Collinses and Bobby Jones's mom." Minor stuff, but it interrupts the reading flow.

oldpantythiefoldpantythief4 months ago

Loved how Colleen laid waste to Charlene at the dinner. Especially when she whipped out her titty, lol. Just know I don't grade for spelling or punctuation and the little bit in this story didn't bother me in the least. While not a total BTB, I was glad to see the bitch get some payback for the crap she pulled when she jumped beds.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous