Katie's Quest Ch. 15

Story Info
Kieran and Katie break the news to their parents.
6.2k words
4.47
2.3k
2

Part 15 of the 16 part series

Updated 04/12/2024
Created 06/23/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

To say that news of Katie's marriage --to say nothing of her pregnancy--spread across town like wildfire would be an understatement of singular enormity. As she and Kieran drove to the large, luxurious house the Petersens called home, the scandalous announcement followed them like a bow wave following the wake of a sailing ship. It took social media by storm, and Katie's phone was silent for only a few minutes before it began buzzing almost nonstop with notifications, text messages, and missed calls.

"Are you ok??" read one message notification on the phone's screen.

"Who is that guy? What's going on?"

"I'll kill him if he's hurt you!"

"Katie, is this a joke?"

"Katie, this is Coach Stephens from school. I just heard the news and I'd like to talk to you about it and make sure you're all right. Please get in touch as soon as you can."

"SO THIS IS WHAT YOU MEANT BY KEEP AN EYE ON SOCIAL MEDIA! CALL ME!" That one was from Hannah, and Katie snorted with laughter when she read it.

There were other reactions too, some more positive than the examples described above.

"OMG! I'm so happy for you! I thought you'd never land a guy!"

"If anyone can be a teen mom, it's you, Katie!"

"Good for you! You look so happy in the picture you posted!"

"I bet the baby's going to be so cute!"

"Hats off to the guy for stepping up and being responsible. You've got a good one!"

"Yes." Katie showed that last message to Kieran as he drove. "Yes, I do."

Kieran squirmed with embarrassment, but he smiled back. "Glad to see not everyone hates me."

"No one could hate you," Katie assured him, and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek. "Not even my parents. When they meet you, they'll understand."

"I hope so."

"What about your dad?" she pressed.

"He's...Honestly, he figured out we were, um, together this morning. He doesn't know about our m-marriage or the fact that you're...pregnant...but he knows we're seeing each other. He put it together in no time flat." Kieran smiled a little ruefully. "Nothing gets past him for long. He said that as long as we're happy together and on the same page about our relationship, he won't interfere. Whether that still applies after I've told him the whole story...is a whole other ball game."

"Well," Katie said with a shrug. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

Kieran's heart began thudding in his chest as he turned onto the street where Katie lived. Her home was the largest in the whole neighborhood, an elegant construction of red brick with huge bay windows and huge yards in the front and back that probably took a small army of landscapers to maintain. A fountain gurgled water beside the path leading to the front door, and several cars were parked in the generously-sized garage. One of them was a black Mercedes, and Kieran pointed at it.

"Is that one yours?"

"Yup!" Katie looked at him and shook her head with mirth. "I knew you'd look at the cars first."

"What can I say? It runs in my blood." Kieran held the passenger's side door of the truck open for her and she hopped out. Her strawberry blonde hair swirled in a brief whisper of wind, making his heart clench.

I cannot believe a woman like this chose a guy like me. He clung to that knowledge like a drowning man clinging to a piece of driftwood. Katie chose me. She loves me. No matter what her parents say, they'll have to accept that even if they don't like it.

Maybe it'll be enough to keep her dad from shooting me.

If Katie shared his nervousness, she didn't show it. She marched right up to the front door, opened it, and headed inside. Kieran followed hot on her heels. I wonder if they've heard everything already. Are her parents active on social media?

And if they already know, will that make it better or worse?

"I'm home!" Katie announced.

"Oh, good." A feminine voice replied. Kieran looked up and saw an older woman--obviously Katie's mother, he could see the resemblance--coming down the stairs. "Did you have cheer practice today? We--"

Mrs. Petersen's words trailed off as she noticed Kieran. "Who is that?"

Katie closed her eyes for the briefest moment and summoned all her formidable reserves of courage and confidence. No matter what happens, no matter what they say, no matter if they approve or not, I've made my choice and I'm sticking with it.

"Mom," she said. "I need to talk to you and Dad about something."

Worry immediately creased Mrs. Petersen's face. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, don't worry. I'm not hurt or anything. But I need to tell you guys something."

"Okay..." Suspicion and growing fear colored Katie's mother's voice. "He's in the backyard doing some work. I'll go get him."

She hurried from the kitchen, and returned a second later with none other than Mayor Petersen himself. Kieran had seen him before on TV, but this was the first time he'd actually seen the man in person. He was taller in real life, much taller, and his face was one of a man not given to excessive humor. There was a serious, commanding, no-nonsense air about him. Perhaps that's what made him such a good cop before he became mayor, Kieran thought.

Gregory Petersen smiled warmly at his daughter, but his smile faded when he saw Kieran and blatant suspicion took its place. The mayor locked eyes with him, and Kieran felt the other man's scrutiny slice into him like a scalpel. It took enormous concentration just to keep from cringing under such intensity.

"Who," Mr. Petersen finally managed, "is that?"

"Mom, Dad..." Katie inched closer to Kieran and took his hand in hers. "This is Kieran Callaway. He goes to my school, and he's an amazing, wonderful person. Before I tell you everything, I need you to know that he makes me the happiest girl in the world, and--"

"You're dating him?" Mr. Petersen interrupted. "Why was I not informed of this?"

I can think of a few reasons, Kieran thought.

"Daddy, please listen to me and let me finish." Katie's voice was calm and soothing.

"All right." Her father gave Kieran a look that would have turned Medusa to stone. "Continue."

"Shall we go into the living room?" Mrs. Petersen suggested.

Yes, please, Kieran wanted to say. Before your husband sees my knees shaking.

They went into the living room and sat down. Mr. Petersen took his favorite armchair, while Katie, Kieran and Katie's mother sat on the couch.

"Mom, Dad...This will take a while to explain, so please don't interrupt, okay? I need you to know and understand everything, because what I'm going to tell you may...shock you," Katie admitted. "First, I want you both to know I love you, and I would never do anything that put myself at risk. You know me. You know that I never do anything without thinking it over first. I'm not a rash or spontaneous kind of girl."

At their nods, she kept going. "You need to understand...for the past six years I've been working toward something. I've worked for more than half a decade now to achieve it, and now, after all this time, I have--and I've gotten so much more besides." She squeezed Kieran's hand meaningfully. "You're probably wondering why I didn't tell you about this before, why I kept it a secret...but when I tell you what my goal was, you'll understand why. I'm sorry that I kept it from you for so long, but I knew you'd try to dissuade me from it. You care about me and you want to keep me safe. I understand that, and you've done an amazing job. You're both the best parents any girl could ask for, and I hope that you won't hold this against me once I've finished filling you in."

She meet her mother's gaze head-on, then her father's. Kieran knew her parents were seeing the same implacable determination in those blues he had, during their first night together in Orlando. Katie's posture was one of confidence and poise, her slightly titled chin hinting at the pride she felt in what she'd accomplished.

"Mom. Dad. Ever since I was 12 years old, I've wanted to have a baby," she said simply. "I've been working toward it for years, and everything--everything--I've achieved has been to help me achieve that. I became so focused on my health and physical fitness because I want to have the strongest, healthiest baby I can. I took tae kwon do for years because I wanted to be able to defend myself, to make sure that when I lost my virginity--" Here, her parents both gasped, but she ignored it. "--To make sure that when I lost my virginity, it would be to someone I chose, at a time and place of my choosing. I pushed myself so hard in school because I knew I'd need a good job to provide for my baby, and I started babysitting because I wanted to get as much experience with children as possible. Everything I've done, everything I've accomplished--it's all been in service of my dream to have a baby."

Her parents seemed stunned into silence. Katie went on.

"After I turned eighteen, I realized all the pieces were nearly in place. I've got a great job lined up, and I've got more than enough money saved to help care for my baby as well as years of experience caring for kids. The only thing I still needed...was someone to be the father."

Katie turned to Kieran and cupped his cheek tenderly. "I chose Kieran. I just...saw him at school one day and I was drawn to him immediately. I started getting to know him, and the more I got to know him, the more I came to respect and like him--as a man, as a friend...and eventually, as much, much more. Kieran is honest, down-to-earth, hardworking and kind. He treats me with respect and makes me feel cherished and special. He's my match in every way, and that's why...that's why I took him with me to Orlando."

"You..." Katie's father sputtered. "You...did..."

"Yup." Katie didn't even try to sugar-coat it. "You see, Dad, I really liked Kieran as a friend, but I didn't expect anything...permanent with him, you know? I just thought we could have some fun for a few weeks and go our separate ways. But I underestimated Kieran. He's not the kind of guy to just catch and release, you know? He's got such a big heart, and he said that he could never father a child with me and just go his own way afterward. He said the only way he'd touch me is if he put a ring on my finger...and so I took him up on it. I'm...I'm a married woman now! We still need to get the actual rings, of course, but...we went down to the courthouse and made it official today. We wanted to get married as soon as we could--both because we couldn't wait any longer, and because we wanted to show you how serious we are about our relationship. Kieran is all in on this with me, and he's going to be an amazing father. He's even going to take over his family business soon. Have you heard of Callaway Auto Repair? His father owns it, and his grandfather before him. Kieran is going to take the business to the next level, and between that and all my savings, our baby will want for nothing."

"You're...you're already pregnant?" Mrs. Petersen asked, tears beading in her eyes. Whether they were tears of joy or sorrow, Kieran couldn't tell.

"Of course! I took a test the night I got back from Orlando. I've officially got a bun in the oven--your first grandchild!" Katie said proudly. "You have no idea how excited I am--I can't wait to be a mom! I've dreamed about it for so long, wanted it for so long, and now it's finally happening!" The tears that now filled Katie's eyes were most certainly tears of happiness. "Kieran is the best thing that's ever happened to me and I can't imagine my life without him. I know this is all a lot to take in, and if you need time to process everything, I completely understand. But please, believe me when I tell you this: I'm so, so happy. Kieran treats me the way I deserve to be treated, and he deserves everything I can give him in return."

There was dead silence in the living room. Kieran watched as Mr. Petersen's face turned a shade of red that got deeper with each passing second.

Katie, on the other hand, was still beaming with happiness, her face flushed with excitement. She reached over and took her new husband's hand in hers, giving it a reassuring squeeze. It was clear that she was prepared for whatever reaction they might get.

Mr. Petersen finally found his voice, and it came out in a low growl. "You knew about this?" he demanded, pointing an accusatory finger at Kieran. "You knew she was going to do this?"

"Not until she told me, when we got to Florida," he said, inching back a little in his seat.

Mr. Petersen slammed his fist down on the coffee table. "You're lying!" he shouted. "You had to know she was going to do this!"

Kieran winced at the accusation, but he remained calm. "I swear, sir, I had no idea. Katie never told me about her plan until she brought it up in Orlando. I was just as shocked as you are."

"Not shocked enough to keep your hands off her!"

Mr. Petersen's words hung in the air like a guillotine blade. Kieran's heart sank, and he looked down at the floor, unable to meet Katie's gaze. Her father's anger was palpable, and he could feel it pressing down on him like a physical weight.

Katie, however, didn't seem fazed. She sat up straighter in her chair, her chin raised defiantly. "Dad, you can't be serious," she said, her voice steady despite the tension in the room. "Kieran and I love each other. We're getting married and having a baby. This isn't something we can just undo. You have to accept that."

"The hell I will!" he roared.

Kieran flinched, wincing as Mr. Petersen stood up, his fists clenched tightly at his sides. The older man towered over them, his face twisted into an angry mask. Katie's normally stoic father looked as if he might physically lash out at any moment. Kieran felt a cold sweat break out across his brow.

"How dare you defile my daughter?" Mr. Petersen spat. "You should have told her she was living in a fantasy world and gotten as far away from her as you could! But instead, you indulged her delusions in order to take advantage of her!"

"Dad!" Katie protested. "That's not what happened. Kieran didn't do anything wrong--"

"He stole your virginity," Mr. Petersen hissed.

Katie stood and put her hands on her hips, glaring up at him. "It's awfully hard to steal something that's freely offered."

A vein pulsed in Mr. Petersen's temple. "I am so disappointed in you," he said in a deceptively soft tone. "You've destroyed your life, your future. You're deluding yourself even more than you already have if you think this sham of a marriage will last. Do you have any idea what you've gotten yourself into?"

"Yes." Katie replied simply. "Dad, I've done years of research. I've read every book on child-rearing you'd care to name, and you know how good I am with the kids I've babysat. I know how to change a diaper and how to mix baby formula and how to baby-proof a house. I know how to get a baby to eat if it doesn't want to, how to get them to sleep if they're fussy, how to hold them and burp them and just about everything else you can think of. There is nothing you can say, no objection you can raise, that I haven't already considered. I know it's not going to be easy, and I don't expect it to be. I didn't decide to become a mom because it sounded easy. I decided to become a mom because I think it's the most rewarding, most fulfilling, most amazing thing I can possibly do with my life. As for my marriage, don't try to tell me I don't know what I'm doing just because I'm young. I know myself well enough to know what I want in a relationship, and Kieran is it. I--both of us--would love to have your approval, but don't think it's a necessity. It isn't. I'm going to be with Kieran whether you approve or not. Read my lips: I. Love. Him." She folded her arms stubbornly as she squared off with her father, her blue eyes hard like chips of ice.

Kieran knew he was witnessing an epic battle of wills. He wanted to agree, to back Katie up, but knew it was wiser for him to stay silent right now.

"Yes, I went to bed with Kieran," Katie said firmly. "And you know what? It was awesome. It was great, and he was great, and he will always be great. I don't regret it at all. I don't regret any of it. And before you let your blood pressure rise any further, Dad, consider this too: a lot of guys would never have done what Kieran has. He's only 18, just like me, and yet he's agreed to take the plunge into parenthood right along with me. He's altered his whole life to be with me, to be there for me and for our baby. How many other guys his age would do that? Not many. Kieran loves me and cares about me--"

"He loves your body! Nothing more!" her father thundered.

"You're wrong!" Katie shouted back. Her temper flared, matching Gregory's. "He loves me for me, and he's already shown how committed and serious he is! Don't you dare talk about him like that! I won't tolerate it! Do you hear me, Daddy? Why can't you trust that I know what I'm doing? You raised me to be responsible--

"And yet you're pregnant at 18!"

"After preparing for it for more than half a decade!" Katie shot back. "It's not like I just got knocked up by some random guy. I was careful and I put a lot of thought into it before I chose Kieran! Daddy, put your anger aside and just think about this for a second. Is there really anything here for you to get mad about? Your only daughter has found a guy she wants to spend the rest of her life with and is carrying your first grandchild. Most dads would be overjoyed. Why can't you be?"

"You defend him?!"

"I'm doing what any girl should do," Katie said implacably. "I am standing by my man."

Slowly, almost warily, Mrs. Petersen put a hand on her husband's arm. "Dear...maybe you should take a deep breath. Katie is a good girl, and...she does seem happy, despite everything. It may all work out, Gregory. And Katie is right, Kieran did step up, and he seems like a decent young man. Despite what he's done...shouldn't we at least give him a chance to prove himself? For the sake of our grandchild, if nothing else?"

Gregory knew his wife had a point, and he hated it. "You had better," he hissed, stabbing a finger at Kieran. "You had better prove yourself, boy, because I will be watching. You take one step backward, one slip-up, give me any reason to think you might hurt my daughter or try to run off and leave her, and I'll make you regret it. I was a cop, boy. I hunted people down for a living. So you know I'm not exaggerating when I say there's nowhere you could run, no hole you could hide in, where I wouldn't find you." His eyes narrowed to slits. "I don't like any of this. I think what you and Katie have done is a foolish, stupid thing, driven by youthful idealism and teenage hormones. I think your marriage will not last, and I think you both will come to regret the choices you've made. But..." He let out a breath, his nostrils flaring. "I will give you one chance to prove me wrong, not for your sake, but for Katie's sake and my future grandchild's sake. One chance, boy. One. Fail, and you and I will have an altogether different conversation." He lowered his voice to a guttural snarl. "Do you understand me?"

Kieran nodded, biting his lip. "Yes. I understand. I...I won't disappoint you, sir."

"We'll see," Mr. Petersen snapped. He ran a hand through his hair and walked out of the living room. "Christ Almighty, I need a drink."

"Will he be okay?" Katie asked, watching him go.

"I...I think so, yes. He just needs time. So do I, for that matter." Mrs. Petersen sighed. "I have reservations too, Katie. Lots of them. But what's done is done, and it can't be undone. If you're set on this, there's nothing we can do but move forward and hope everything works out. We are here for you no matter what happens."

"I understand." Katie hugged her mother. "You'll see. You both will. Kieran and I will be so happy together."

"I hope you're right, sweetheart. I truly do. I hope this all works out the way you think it's going to. I don't want to see you get hurt, Katie." Then, in an effort to change the subject and lighten the tension, she asked, "Will there be a formal wedding?"

12