All Comments on 'Key to Her Heart?'

by SouthernCrossfire

Sort by:
  • 24 Comments
SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfirealmost 2 years agoAuthor

Thanks so much to all who are reading and providing feedback on this story! I do my own proofing and editing and occasionally that bites me as in the case of this story. I found a few errors in reading the published copy so I've submitted a corrected edit that should be out sometime soon.

.

In related news, I've also submitted Mary's journal for review and (hopefully!) publication sometime soon.

des911des911almost 2 years ago

Very nicely done. The happy ending was in doubt for a long time but you carried us along. The characters are likeable and I wanted it to work for them. Just like a good romance story.

Thank you

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11almost 2 years ago

First rate romance - the nervousness was wonderful -the final page a joy

Davester37Davester37almost 2 years ago

I love it, of course. I’m looking forward to whatever is coming next. As always, thank you for writing and thank you for sharing your work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

not bad, except for a couple of "off ofs". it's just "off", period.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Great

Thanks

The Hoary Cleric

clearcreekclearcreekalmost 2 years ago

I went through a somewhat similar time with my partner being a nurse. We were without physical contact for many long months before our second dose made it safer.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Loved it, so glad you followed up the last story with this one. I really enjoy when authors create a "universe" of their stories. Perhaps we could see Kyle's roommate finding love? Just hopeful to see this continue. Looking forward to Mary's journal (even though I am not a fan of that format). 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Thanks for another great romance in the Romance category.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Loved it. Masterful, and entertaining. 5*.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcalmost 2 years ago

Damn, I love your stories! I would like to request a part 2 so we find out how they did as they navigated being a lawyer and him finishing medical school and residency... 5*

SmuttyandfunSmuttyandfunalmost 2 years ago

5 Stars! Really well done. I liked the slow burn and the longing that was palpable. Of course the sexy parts were fun, too. Liked that you kept us guessing, till the two of them gave in and got together. Looking forward to reading your next story. Keep up the good work, Southern!

ScottishTexanScottishTexanalmost 2 years ago

I remembered most of The Wrong Pen Pal, but I read so many different stories here that I sometimes mix them together in my mind. For some stupid reason I had the setting in my head as West Australia instead of the Southern United States. I had to go back and reread the first half of Pen Pal then come back to this one to straighten myself out. Once I did that, I was all good and thoroughly enjoyed it.

-

I do have one adverse comment about the journal. There were passages in it that didn't come out correctly. You need to keep yourself in the mindset that she was writing about CURRENT events. When I read the following quotation, it sounds like she was reflecting back on events that had occurred weeks or even months earlier:

***"From the entry of August 21, 1917, she read, Most of all, she was a stern woman, rigorously enforcing the rules of nursing practice, of conduct, and of her perceptions of life. She frequently came down on me about some small infraction or another, making me wonder if she truly disliked me or if she just wanted me to be perfect."***

-

It should be written in present tense. "She is a stern woman" and "she frequently comes down on me..."

It's a journal entry and not a narrative. I hope that your future release of the journal will correct this oversight.

I still enjoyed it and gave it 5 stars. 🌟

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfirealmost 2 years agoAuthor

Thanks so much to everyone who's commented on this story. A corrected version picking up a few typos, a couple of punctuation glitches, a couple of wording issues, and the two "off of" instances has been submitted and will come through eventually. Mary's journal, entitled "Calling the Stork," is also scheduled to be released on 6/12/22.

.

ScottishTexan noted one other issue regarding tenses that I wanted to address since the way it is written in the story is correct but it's not evident since I only used small outtakes. When Mary was writing, she used present tense on current events but since she was new to keeping a journal, she sometimes reflected back on her past to tell the story, using past tense in such cases. That's what's happening in the passages ST noted, with Mary reflecting back on how she got to the current point in her life and how her relationship, particularly with Mrs. K., affected her "current" thinking and actions. This will be clearer in the journal as a whole, including her use of different section separations when she's writing about her past.

.

Thanks again,

SC

JoshFrom53JoshFrom53almost 2 years ago

Indeed a slow burn, getting hotter and hotter. One can feel the longing and the love. But also the frustration. Many people who love each other dearly but cannot touch, hug or cuddle because of the damn virus is very well described. Thank you for this story. I had a ball reading it.

Josh

Rancher46Rancher46almost 2 years ago

Excellent story, maybe the author would consider writing more of the lives of these two. Well done 5/5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I’ve now read all three stories and will read”Pen Pal” next. I have laughed and shed a bunch of the stories. tears—they come easy to me—and have thoroughly enjoyed all the tales. Probably a little in love with Mary, Carla, and Etta in their own times. Thank you! Now, on to “Pen Pal.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Obviously I must be a bit dense for Kyle just does not inspire me at all, hope he becomes a better doctor than he is pre-adult. BTW as a character name Kyle is very blah not very lovable really.

Yet in your story your characters are very likable and Mary outstanding. oh well it is just entertainment thank you for your endeavours

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyalmost 2 years ago

Well written story - really a story in a story! Nice concept and well done - good character, good pacing and good dialogue. Overall good reading time and entertaining!

Please do keep writing and I will keep reading.

LBLR15LBLR15almost 2 years ago

I really enjoyed your story. It felt so real and relatable. Thank you

a_reader_from_germanya_reader_from_germanyalmost 2 years ago

What LBLR15 wrote! Thank you so much for sharing! I strongly recommend to read the 'Fairytales Of One Thousand and One Night' ('Arabian Nights'), in an uncensored, unshortend, "adult" version. As you'll probably know, all of the tales are imbedded in the framework plot about Scheherazade, but many of them are quite intricately woven beyond that, with tales in which again someone tells another tale and plots of which a many a later generation of creatives have gleaned from. The old movies doesn't do them justice by a very far cry.

kaotic2kaotic23 months ago

Thank you so much for this. It was absolutely wonderful.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSouthernCrossfire@SouthernCrossfire
4/4/24 Update: "Crossed Paths," a story of old friends reuniting, was recently published for the Wicked Games challenge, in which everything isn't as it seems. Hope you'll read and enjoy! If you're looking for something older, you might try "The Valentine's Dance," a late 1...

SIMILAR Stories