Kindred Spirits

Story Info
A chance encounter changes the path of, and saves, two lives.
763 words
4.36
1.7k
7

Part 1 of the 5 part series

Updated 03/05/2024
Created 02/01/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MenaAbbott
MenaAbbott
11 Followers

An entry for the 750 Word Project 2024

~

She spent every night on the beach, looking up at the moon to remind herself that the same light shone on those she loved. The reminder was needed more than she cared to admit as standing at the foot of the bridge meant she wasn't standing on it and wasn't looking over the side and into the water with longing for the dark quiet that awaited.

The moon would still shine on her even beneath the waves. Miles or worlds apart, it didn't matter, right? Same moon. Same light. Connected even if lost.

But, there was something enchanting about ending her night looking into the water. Picturing herself beneath the waves, anchored to the sea floor, her hair floating above her, twisting and curling with the current as fish swam around her. She'd like it if her eyes stayed open. Always looking up, her gaze always affixed to the moon.

Tonight was no different. Her legs carried her up the pedestrian side and she stopped only when a man crossed her path. There was a passing glance and curt smile from each of them, but a feeling lingered and she turned in time to see him climbing over the barrier. The beat of her heart thudded in her ears, pounded in her chest.

She followed him.

The wind kicked up as she climbed over, her hands trembled and she realized she'd never been this close to the edge before. She'd only ever fantasized never followed through. Her feet connected with the metal beam and she slid her feet carefully over, looking at him as he stared into the water below.

"The siren's pull is stronger in summer than winter," she said as she got closer. "The rain can make it look like an accident, less guilt on family that way."

He cocked his head. "What?"

She smiled as she tipped her head and let go of the beam above. Her footing settled on a wider berth of framing before she inched closer. "Only one reason someone climbs over the bridge under the cover of night. I'm Louvella. Everyone calls me Lou, though I wish they wouldn't."

"Go back up on the bridge." He stepped back and she held up her hands as she moved forward.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. I have to say that I would if I could, I just can help that it feels like fate you happened to climb over as I was considering it myself. Can we sit and chat first?"

"I don't want to chat. I want you to go away." His face screwed up in despair and she shook her head.

"Can't do that." Her eyes shifted to the water and she swallowed hard before looking back at him, "Wow, it really is high up, huh?"

He nodded and moved back toward one of the bridge piles.

"Can you tell me your name? I've told you mine."

"Why? I didn't ask for your name so what does it matter if you know mine?"

"It doesn't. You don't have to tell me, I just thought it would be nice to know before we jumped."

"We?"

"Mmmhmm. We. I never had the guts to do more than fantasize before. Was always afraid someone would stop me and I'd get locked up for trying. But, I feel like even if you back out you wouldn't say anything about what we were considering. Right?"

He shook his head and she smiled.

"Good. So, would you tell me your name? Maybe sit and talk to me for a few minutes first? Help me work out my nerves about how cold the water's gonna be?"

"Caleb."

"Caleb. I like that. Much better than mine." She laughed and casually lowered herself to the edge of the beam she stood on, sitting before patting the space next to her. He didn't move and she looked back, a wicked grin on her face. "Seriously, what's the worst I could do? Push you?"

He sat, his expression uneasy. "Or I could push you," he said as he put his hand on her shoulder.

She stiffened slightly, her eyes locking on the crashing waves below. "You could; but you won't."

"Oh? Why's that?"

"Because you told me your name." Her eyes gently lifted to his. "And there's this nice restaurant over on the wharf."

"Are you asking me out?"

"I am, Caleb. We can come back to the bridge tomorrow, right?"

"Yeah."

Their smiles were radiant beneath the moonlight and above the waves.

MenaAbbott
MenaAbbott
11 Followers