Kiss the Darkness Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alexander began walking off in the direction of the Prince. Amos followed closely behind him, still not certain that this meeting was the best of ideas though he no longer thought that Christian was in any danger from this boy. As they stepped through the thick mass of trees Christian came into view.

He was walking towards them, then stopped as he saw Alexander approaching him. Any lessons in proper etiquette that he'd once had were quickly forgotten as he stood there, starring at the boy, eyes wide and mouth gaping.

Alexander raised an eyebrow as he studied the Prince. "Is your friend a mute?" He asked Amos.

Amos chuckled. "No, I'm afraid he's just dumbstruck. My Ill mannered friend here is called Christian. Christian, the young man that you so rudely frightened into running away is called Alexander."

"Alexander..." Christian let the name drift through his lips like honey. At once he remembered himself and bowed to the boy. "Forgive my abruptness." He apologized. "I had no intention of frightening you, I was just in such awe that I had to find out who you were."

"Hm." Alexander gave the Prince a quick, scrutinizing glance. "Do you make a habit of accosting young men in the forest?"

Christian laughed out loud at that. "No, certainly not. I must admit that this is a first for me but then, it's not often that one encounters someone of such beauty."

"I see." Alexander sighed. "And none of the young women in the village strike your fancy?"

Christian shrugged as he crossed his arms over his chest and smiled. "The women in the village are indeed lovely and I'm sure that I could have my pick of any of them, though I've yet to encounter any whose beauty surpasses that which now stands before me."

Alexander placed his hands on his hips as he glared at Christian. "And I suppose you expect me to just swoon at your words?"

"Well, maybe not swoon." The smile faded from Christians lips as he stammered, searching for the right words. "I would expect some form of acknowledgement, perhaps reciprocation."

Alexander stared at Christian. The look on his face being of utter disbelief. "What I acknowledge is a boastful peacock strutting his tail feathers. I expect that you're used to women, or even young men, fawning over you, drinking in your flattery like wine. Though I find no truth in your admiration's. In fact, I see it as sanctimonious and self-serving puffery!"

To say that Christian was shocked would be an understatement. He shook his head, assuring Alexander that his assumptions were wrong. "That isn't it at all. I meant only that you should accept my praise and understand that I'm merely expressing my interest in you."

"No." Alexander spoke sharply, causing Christian to take a step backward. "You're expressing your interest in something which others may give away to you so freely but won't be taken from me. You can take your over-inflated ego and retire to some tavern with an eager young wench or engage in some self-flagellation for all I care but you will get no reciprocation from me. I, Sir, am nobody's whore!"

Amos slapped his hand over his mouth as he attempted to conceal his laughter. The absurdity of this boy admonishing the Prince was both alarming yet admirable. Of course he had no idea that he was speaking to the Prince, still the manner in which he held his ground was impressive.

Christian shook his head, completely bewildered, and somewhat distressed. He'd never been shamefaced by anyone in this manner, not even his own father.

Had anyone else chastised him in such a way he would have been furious. However, being rebuked by Alexander left him feeling confused. "I assure you, my intentions are completely honorable, I would never insinuate that..."

"That what? That you'd found some easy conquest all alone in the forest? If that is what you think then let me warn you, I am not as weak as I appear, and won't be easily overcome."

"Please, you have grossly misunderstood me." Christian was beyond stressed now. This encounter had gone so far off what he'd originally had planned. In his thoughtlessness he'd somehow managed to offend Alexander when his intentions were the opposite. "I only wanted..." He sighed and ran his hand through his sand colored hair. "Gods above I've messed this up. I apologize that the first impression you have of me is that my desire is a lascivious one.

To be completely honest, I have no idea what I expected to happen. All I know is that I happened upon this incredibly beautiful creature and I just had to meet you. I didn't know at first if you were even male or female. I know you think I've come at you with lustful intent but that is so far from the truth. Please, give me the chance to prove myself. To prove that I'm not the man you have imagined me to be. Give me that at least?"

"For what purpose?"

Christian laughed weakly. "Just to get to know you. To find out who you are. I can't leave this place knowing that you think so poorly of me. All I want is the chance to redeem myself."

Alexander dropped his arms to his sides as he thought over the words Christian had spoken to him. He seemed sincere but still Alexander was cautious. He was young, but not naive. He wasn't about to give in so quickly. After considering the Prince's request he decided that he could give him the chance he so elegantly pleaded for. If his intentions were not pure his true colors would show soon enough.

"Alright." Alexander nodded in agreement. "If you want to prove yourself to me then escort me to Avimur. I'm new here and I don't know my way yet. If you could do me that courtesy then perhaps my view of you will change."

Christian smiled a wide, vibrant, smile. "Of course." He practically shouted. "Avimur is a large place, perhaps I could even show you around."

"One step at a time." Alexander told him. "When you've lead me safely to the city we can assess your skill as a tour guide."

____________________________________________________________

Guillame was beside himself. In a huff he pushed open the door to his study and stormed into the room ranting loudly and flaying his around about. "That boy is going to be the death of me!"

Argyle came into the room following the King. Guillame turned and glared at him. "What do you want?" He demanded.

"Sire, I know that you're upset, but you guests waiting."

"Let them wait!" Guillame shouted. "I want that boy found and brought to me at once!"

"Of course Sire, but wouldn't it be prudent first to make a statement? The people are wondering what is going on and Lord Donovan is most concerned. He expected a groom for his daughter. Lady Jivete has been most grievously offended by the Prince's absence. You must make this right."

Guillame narrowed his eyes as he stared at the man. "My son will make this right when he is found and, if necessary, dragged kicking and screaming to the altar!"

"If I may, your majesty..."

"You may not." Guillame sneered. "The only thing I want to here from you is that my son is here and ready to meet his future bride."

"But my Lord..."

"Get out of here!"

Argyle sighed, bowed to the King then left the room. Christian had put the man in a very difficult position. On one hand he understood the Prince's hesitation about meeting his future Queen, but on the other hand there was the King and his fierce temper. Christian's feelings about marriage were lost on his father. Guillame expected his orders to be obeyed and if they were not, there would be hell to pay.

Even the fires of Vessard failed to burn as hot as Guillame when his anger was ignited. Argyle knew that the only way to rectify the situation was to find the Prince as soon as possible and return him to the palace to fulfill his royal duty. As next in line to be King Christian had to produce an heir. That required him to have a Queen. Christian had to understand that there was simply no choice in the matter. A kingdom without a rightful heir would be thrust into civil war over the right to claim the throne.

Ideally, if something were to happen to Christian the crown would pass to Leland, his younger brother, and then to Leland's eldest son (if he had one). Since Guillame only had two sons though the fate of the kingdom rested on at least one of them claiming the throne. Leland was too young to marry so the duty fell on Christian to secure the line, though much to his disliking.

Christian was adventurous, and much too impetuous. Argyle had no doubts that he would one day make a fine king once he settled down but at present he was headstrong and rebellious. He loved nothing more than sparking his father's ire and that was a problem.

Argyle summoned three of the King's guards and ordered them to begin a search for the wayward Prince then he mustered up the nerve needed to face the hall of curious spectators and, of course, Lord and Lady Donovan and their daughter who by now must have been feeling like a jilted bride.

______________________________________________________

Amos sat next to Christian with Alex across the table from them. The tavern wasn't busy but it was still early. By sundown the regulars would pour in, ready to drink and forget their troubles or just unwind after a long days labor. Most of the surrounding land was farm land and agriculture was the main profession in Avimur. Every form of vegetation could be found in the market place along with a variety of fruits, breads, berries, nuts and grain.

The Hag's Head Tavern was located in the center of the city, right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the daily goings on. Upstairs rooms were rented for travelers or the occasional private encounter between a couple who didn't want a lot of questions asked.

Fin, the tavern's owner, didn't give two shits who or what rented a room or why, so long as they had the money to pay for it.

That's why Christian liked the Hag's Head. Everyone kept to themselves and your business was your own. It was the perfect place for him to hide from the palace guards. Avimur was a big place, there were lots of small businesses, street vendors, whore houses, and gentleman's clubs. Searching for one person could take all day. The guards typically saved time by asking questions. Most of the people in Avimur knew the Prince. He was easily recognized and if he was seen entering any other establishment the Guards would have heard about it. Not at the Hag's Head though. The people knew if you entered the Hag's Head, you didn't want to be found.

Alexander seemed ill at ease in the place though. He sat at the table staring thoughtfully into the mug of ale that he held between his hands.

"Is this your first time in a Tavern?" Christian asked him.

"No..." Alexander looked up slowly. "I've been in one before. In Allanar. But it wasn't like this one."

"Is that where you're from?" Christian leaned across the table as he watched Alexander.

Alexander nodded. "It's where I was born."

"That's why you were in the forest then? How long have you been traveling?"

Alexander thought for a moment. "Four days I think. I'm not sure. I lost track of time."

"Have you been traveling the entire way on foot?"

"Oh no." Alexander smiled some. "I'm not an idiot." He laughed. "I had a horse but unfortunately I'm not a very accomplished rider and when I attempted to navigate some rocks my horse got spooked and it threw me. I got thrown down into a small ravine and I'm embarrassed to say that I was knocked unconscious. When I came to, my horse was gone, along with all my belongings. I was trying to locate it when I found the lake. I was tiered and thirsty so I decided to stop and rest a while and that's when you found me."

Amos and Christian listened as Alexander told them his story. Both were surprised to hear of his misfortune.

"It's lucky that we did find you then." Amos told him. "You couldn't have survived for long on your own."

Alexander glanced at him. "You think not?" He asked, sporting a sly grin. "I think I would have made due."

"With no food, no money, and no weapons?" Amos laughed. "You wouldn't have lasted a day on your own."

"You underestimate me." Alexander said matter-of-factually.

"Not at all." Amos told him. "It's just Fells forest is large and much of it unknown. There are many creatures in those woods that are fierce and wicked. When night comes not even the bravest of men will venture into those woods."

"Here we go again." Christian rolled his eyes. "More talk of demons and fairy folk."

"It's a well known fact." Amos argued. "Just because you don't believe in the dark court doesn't mean it doesn't exist."

"I believe in what I can see with my own eyes." Christian told him.

"So, you don't believe in demons then?" Alexander asked him.

Christian shrugged. "I've heard stories. Supposedly the King of Avimur drove off the last of the Demon clan nearly twenty years ago. If ever they did exist, they're gone now."

"So you assume that because you haven't seen one they're no longer around." It was a statement more than a question.

"No more than I believe there are merpeople in the rune sea. It's all folklore and children's stories. If these creatures did exist, we would have seen them by now. So, I chose not to waste my time on fantasy. I have enough to worry about in the here and now."

"I see." Alexander went back to examining the ale that he'd yet to take a drink of.

"I hope I haven't offended you." Christian looked at Alexander with concern. "It's fine if you chose to believe in magic. There's a kind of beauty in it I suppose. Who wouldn't want to live in a world full of magic and miracles. I just don't have the luxury of being impractical. As my father constantly tells me, I have to grow up eventually."

"I don't think one has to lose their imagination just to grow up." Alexander looked at Christian and smiled. For the first time the look on his face was kind and without suspicion.

"I just think that you have to know when to look at things as an adult and when to look through the eyes of a child. A year ago I was ignorant of the suffering in the world. I was sheltered, privileged, and somewhat arrogant I suppose. I thought that nothing terrible could ever happen to me or to those I loved, and then I was shocked into reality by the death of my Grandmother.

I realized after her death that everything I knew about the world was wrong. I was angry for a long time and I had forgotten that there was still beauty in this world, despite the ugliness and the darkness. I chose to let my anger go and look at the world through the eyes of the child I had once been. There is good in this world, and there is magic. You just have to seek it out."

"It's a nice sentiment." Christian sighed. "Unfortunately things like duty and responsibility have killed what imagination I once had. I know eventually I'll have to return home and when I do, the dull monotony of my life will become my reality. No, I'm afraid I can no longer believe in fantasy and fancy. I suppose it's time to put my dreams aside, fun though it was while it lasted."

"Hm." Alexander smiled sadly. "Without dreams you'll never find what your searching for?"

"And what makes you think I'm searching for anything?"

Alexander shrugged. "You were in the forest searching for something. A man goes into the forest to hunt, maybe not always for game. You were hunting something."

"Perhaps I've already found what I was searching for."

"Perhaps." Alexander folded his hands in his lap. "But if you return to your dull and mundane life how will you ever know?"

"Good point." Christian drank the rest of his ale then looked at Alexander. He raised an eye brow inquisitively. "You were in the forest." He pointed out. "What is it you are searching for?"

Alexander narrowed his eyes as he looked towards the window. The sun was beginning to set and the blanket of night began to sweep across the country side. "Answers." He said finally. "I'm searching for answers."

____________________________________________

Amos had excused himself from the table halfway through the conversation and found a seat at the bar. He ordered another ale then sat and watched the two talking.

Christian didn't even seem to have noticed that Amos was gone. This irritated him a bit. He and the Prince had been friends since childhood. They played together, were educated together, and trained to fight together. After all that, how could he be so easily dismissed over some foolish infatuation for a boy they'd only just met?

Amos had been by Christian's side practically his entire life but for the first time ever he felt like just walking out. Why should he stay? Christian obviously didn't need him anymore. Of course he would probably receive a sound lashing for abandoning the Prince but at this point it almost seemed worth it. The longer he sat there watching them, seeing the way that Christian looked at Alexander, the angrier he became. He just couldn't take it anymore. He tossed a few coins onto the bar then stood up and stormed out of the tavern.

The streets had become so much quieter since they'd first entered the tavern. Most of the street vendors had closed down for the night. Shops had closed their doors and the men had abandoned their work to return home for dinner. Amos was hungry too, but not for food, and his appetite would not be sated by some common tavern wench. Nor did he wish to pick up some random whore off the street.

The only real option was Isolda's spa. That was the only high quality gentleman's club in the city. The broken pony had been shut down by order of the King months ago for furnishing prepubescent slave boys to the nobles. It didn't matter to Amos in the least that the place had been closed. He had no intention of raping children.

Isolda's spa was owned by a former prostitute and had a much better reputation. The companions were treated well, and the clientele was promised discretion, as well as all manner of erotic pleasures. Whatever one could imagine they could find there, within reason. No one was forced to work in the spa against their will and men were frequently turned away for mistreating the companions.

Amos had only visited the establishment on one other occasion. Christian had taken him there on his twentieth birthday and both men had enjoyed all the pleasantries that the spa had to offer. One could rent a room, enjoy a meal in the very elegant dinning room, or drink in the company of dozens of scantly clad beauties. There was also a bathing room equipped with steam, and a massage parlor.

Amos glanced back at the tavern, half expecting to see Christian emerge, wondering where his friend and steward had gone. When he didn't see him, Amos turned and headed down the street to the spa. Let Christian throw him over for someone new. Amos would find affection in the arms of one of the many companions that Isolda's had to offer.

When Amos walked through the doors into the grand main parlor, he was immediately greeted by a topless servant girl offering drinks. He accepted a glass of wine graciously as the girl led him into the lounge area. All around him were young men and women, beautifully adorned with jewels and fine linens. Some were sitting on lounge chair or large sofas while others rested on silk pillows. Men were drinking and servants walked around with trays of sweets and other delicacies.

Amos looked over the companions that were entertaining the men. Those without a client looked up and smiled sweetly as he passed them. A shapely red haired girl walked up to him, swinging her hips and licking her lips as she looked him over. Her large round breasts pressed against him as she put her arms around his neck. "Are you in need of some intimacy sir?" She asked him in a soft, sultry voice. "I am here for your pleasure if you desire me."

Amos smiled at the girl as he detached her arms from around his neck. "Maybe another time." He told her.