Kiss the Darkness Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Breaking the kiss, Christian pulled back, breathing deeply. He looked into Alexander's eyes, drinking him in. "There is so much that I want to share with you." He whispered in his ear. "But this is neither the time nor the place."

A look of disappointment crossed Alexander's young features but he nodded in understanding. He too knew that they were moving too fast and such an act should be saved for the right moment so that it could be treasured as something special and not something entered into hastily and without care.

"Regretfully, I have to leave you now." Christian said as he kissed Alexander's hands. "There is something that I must take care and until I do, I will not be free to love you as you deserve to be loved."

Alexander was confused but did his best to understand what Christian was saying to him. It did make sense when he considered it. After all, Christian had a life before meeting Alexander. He was a man of noble blood and it occurred to Alexander that Christian probably had certain obligations to his family. Perhaps there was a chapter to his life that he had to close the book on, before he could move on into a future with Alexander.

"When will I see you again?" Alexander asked him.

"Tomorrow after noon." Christian smiled. "Have the lady of the house pack a lunch for us and we will have a picnic in a private spot I know of. We'll spend the entire day together. Just the two of us. I want to know everything there is to know about you." Christian touched Alexanders hair, letting each strand slip between his fingers. "It will be torture, waiting until I can kiss you, and touch your face again. If my father weren't waiting for me I would stay here with you but I'm afraid I made a promise to him and my honor will not allow me to break that promise."

"Then go." Alexander touched the spot over Christians heart and beamed. "A promise is too precious a thing to break, especially when family is concerned. I wouldn't ever think of coming between you and your family."

"I know you wouldn't." Christian kissed the top of Alexanders head. "You're self-less. A most endearing quality to have. Come, walk me to my horse so that I can carry the image of you with me the rest of the night."

Alexander nodded as he rose from the couch and followed Christian outside to where his horse was tied. Christian embraced him once more and they passionately kissed each other good-bye. Christian mounted his horse, giving Alexander one last farewell, then he rode off down the main path and disappeared into the bright light of the mid day sun.

Alexander's heart was full but also aching as he watched his love ride off. He had no idea what he was going to do with himself as he awaited Christians return the following day. With a heavy sigh he turned and went back into the boarding house. He had a long and lonely night ahead of him and only the memory of Christians touch to get him through it.

From behind the outbuilding the King's page emerged. His eyes were wide with fright and disbelief. His eyes must have been deceiving him for he couldn't possibly have seen what he had just witnessed. The Prince, the Prince himself, in an intimate embrace with a man. He'd expected to find him with a young maid but the shock of what he'd just seen was beyond his understanding.

At first he tried to tell himself he'd been mistaken but the reality of what had happened was all too plain to him. The Prince had fallen in love with a man! Gods help them all for when the King discovered the truth about his son, his fury would know no bounds. There was a storm approaching. A violent storm, and no man or woman alive would be spared the savage power of this raging tempest.

___________________________________________

"Father? Is everything alright?" Leland knew better than to enter his father's personal chambers without being summoned but given the way he'd stormed off, Leland was certain that something was wrong. Mother had smiled sweetly at him, trying to mask her tears, and assured him that all was well but he wasn't convinced. Even through his mother's attempts to shield him from whatever it was that had happened, he was old enough to tell that something most definitely was not right in the Palace. "Has something happened to Christian?" He asked.

Guillame looked up and the expression on his face caused Leland to recoil in fear. "Go about your studies." The King commanded. Trying hard to hide his anger though the child could see right through him.

"You don't have to protect me you know." Leland said in a soft wavering voice. "I'm old enough now to hear the truth."

Guillame shook his head. "Not this time." He breathed deeply. "You wouldn't understand."

Leland sulked. "I'm nearly thirteen." He protested. "Not just a boy anymore. Don't you think it's time you trusted me with..."

"Leland." His father spoke sternly to the boy. "This is a matter which does not concern you. Now, I won't say it again. Go about your studies and leave such matters to the adults. I need to think and you're distracting me."

"Yes father." Leland bowed then turned and exited the room. All the way down the corridor Leland sulked. "Leave such matters to the adults." He repeated his fathers words, rolling his eyes. "I'm sick of everyone treating me like a child." He groaned. "It's not fair." He kicked at a stray pebble and listened as it rattled along the stone floor. "I'm a Prince too and yet they treat me like a foolish page boy." He balled his hands into fist and hit the sides of his thighs.

It angered him that his parents didn't trust him with anything. It angered him that he wasn't given the same type of regard as his older brother. All he ever heard was how Christian will one day be King, and Christian will be the one to rule the Kingdom. It was always Christian this and Christian that, yet Christian didn't even take his duties seriously. He was always causing his father distress while Leland remained the model child, and yet Christian had always been favored most by the King. It was true that Leland would never have to bear the responsibility that his elder brother, but that didn't mean he was of any less importance. So, he wondered, why was he always so easily dismissed and forgotten?

After Leland had left his father's chambers the old King furiously went into his sitting room and paced the floor, mumbling to himself in such a low key that only the Gods could make out the curses that he uttered. "There has to be some mistake." He growled under his breath. "That page, what a stupid boy. I should have known better than to send a child to do a mans job." Still, there was that shred of doubt in the back of the Kings mind. Christian had been acting oddly the last two days. That was evidence enough that there was something a miss. Could he have disguised his young lover as a male just to avoid suspicion? That seemed entirely possible and the most likely of scenarios. That made more sense than to subject himself to such a scandal.

"I will discover the truth and lay this matter to bed once and for all." Guillame spoke aloud. He stroked his beard as he thought of the one person who knew the Prince better than anyone. That was who the King should have consulted in the first place, not some idiot page.

He rang for a messenger and instructed him to bring the Prince's personal steward at once. The messenger bowed then quickly left the room. Since the Prince had gone off on his own that morning there was a limited number of options for where his attendant would be found. The messenger decided to start with the obvious first choice and so he headed for Amos's apartment.

Nearly an hour and a half had passed since the King sent the messenger. He was growing agitated at the delay. He wanted the matter closed and the more time that passed, the angrier he became. Finally there was a knock at the door. "Enter!" The King bellowed, his voice echoing his displeasure.

Amos entered the sitting room and at once bowed before his King. "You're majesty." He greeted him. "You sent for me?"

The King walked to where Amos was standing and stood in front of him, a mere inches from the younger mans face. "I have little patience for those who keep me waiting." Guillame sneered.

Amos took a deep breath as he addressed the King. "My apologies Sire. Regretfully I was in the archery range when the messenger told me that you had summoned me. It took him some time to find me."

"Why were you not with my son?" The King raised an eyebrow and Amos gulped.

"The Prince elected to ride alone this morning." Amos told the King. "He said there were some matters of a personal nature which he had to attend to."

"I see." The King folded his hands behind his back as he resumed pacing the room. Amos watched him closely, his heart racing nervously. He had no idea why he had been summoned to the King's chamber but now he was certain that it had something to do with Christian.

Had the King heard of Amos's abandonment the previous night? Or worse, had the King heard of Amos's confession of love for Christian? If that were the case, what was to become of him? He would be dismissed certainly, perhaps sent back to his father. Worst case scenario though, the King would have him beheaded. Amos took a deep breath and urged himself to relax. There was no need to jump to fantastical conclusions. All would be revealed in due time.

The King ceased his pacing and stood, staring into the blazing fire. He was lost in thought for the moment. His face a mixture of so many emotions that Amos couldn't quite determine what the old King was thinking or feeling. He was angry. That was obvious. But there was also a look of concern and possibly one of great distress or disappointment. This worried Amos even more because at least when he knew the King's mood he knew what to expect from him. His current state though was a mystery so there was no telling what the King might do.

"I've recently been given some information which is quite disturbing to me. I pray for the sake of my family and for the Kingdom that the information is false and the informant misunderstood what he had seen. I have come to the conclusion that the best way to deduce for myself the reliability of this information is to go to someone who, I am sure, is in some form or another in the middle of this...complication." He turned and stared at Amos. "So, I'm going to ask you, Amos. What do you know of this person whom the Prince has taken an interest in, and for your own well-being I suggest that you tell me the truth."

Amos swallowed hard as his entire body began to shake with fear. "Of course your majesty, I would never dream of deceiving you."

"Good. Now tell me true. Has my son fallen in love with a man?"

_______________________________________________

Christian had returned to the palace just as the first of the three suns began to dip down behind the mountain peeks. The sky was bright still, but the once blue and yellow hues had given way to a soft orange that slowly welcomed in the darkness that in just a few hours would spread out across the horizon blanketing the country side in a sleepy curtain of night.

He had some time before meeting his parents for dinner and he wanted to freshen up some before hand. He couldn't very well enter the dinning hall in his riding clothes and smelling like the stables. Necromancer had enjoyed his outing and his run. When Christian dismounted he handed the reins to the stable boy and instructed him to give the horse a thorough grooming and then an apple or two as a treat. Necromancer did love his apples and they kept his black coat shiny and new looking.

Christian entered the Palace through the back of the bakery near the kitchen. Looking around to make sure he wasn't seen, he quickly snatched a hot roll of the cooling table and took a bite.

"You're majesty!" Christian turned as he heard the shriek of an old woman's voice come from behind him. Bess stood, hands on hips, red in the face, and piqued as she stared at the Prince. "Those are for tonight!" She scolded.

Bess was a handsome woman. In her elder years and though she was born a commoner, the daughter of a wood cutter, she was a woman of great distinction. Stout and charmingly round, Bess had large blue eyes and grey-blond hair that she kept in a pleated bun beneath her cap. She was often seen disheveled, and normally covered in flour. Though she headed the bakery and oversaw the kitchen staff, she wasn't above having her hands in the preparation of the castles meals. As she put it, the young girls of today had no keen sense for how a royal meal was to be prepared, and she often admonished them for their incompetence.

While she could be quite stern and often appeared vexed and in a hurry, she was none the less a very pleasant woman, and her devotion to the royal family was deep and unwavering. But, she was a perfectionist and did not like when her space was encroached upon.

Christian smiled at the woman as he devoured the remainder of the roll he had pilfered. "Delicious as always, dear Bess." He kissed the old woman on the cheek as he walked past her grinning. "There's still enough for dinner tonight, my Lady."

"As long as I can keep you out of my kitchen!" She grumbled, wiping her hands on her apron.

Christian gave her a friendly wave as he departed, chuckling at the woman's over exaggerated annoyance.

In an attempt to evade the scrutinizing stares of family members or upper level servants, Christian opted to take the service stairs in back of the main hall and past the servants quarters as he made his way to his own apartments. Surprised to see him, many young maids shrieked then fell to their knees as he passed them, unsure of how to react at seeing the Prince outside of the main areas of the palace.

"As you were girls." He told them with a bright grin. "Nothing to see here."

He gave a young chamber maid a sly wink as he passed her and she nearly swooned. Two other girl covered their mouths and giggled like school girls when he smiled at them. He was an extremely handsome man and he knew it. Though his affections for Alexander remained true he still took some delight in making the young servants weak in the knees with nothing more than a friendly glance in their direction.

Even as a teenager he was the talk of the town. Noble women and commoners alike would fall over themselves just to get a peek at him when ever he'd come into the city. Now, at twenty-three he was the very picture of masculinity. With his shoulder length sandy-blonde hair, tinged with a slight reddish hue, his amber eyes, broad shoulders, muscular arms, and the smallest hint of a beard, he could cause even the most dignified of young women to feel faint when in his presence.

He had filled out rather nicely in recent years. Not that he was scrawny in his youth but he'd not yet developed the true physique of an adult. He'd left for his families summer house one year as a boy and returned that fall a man. His father had seriously considered locking him a tower just to keep him from being swarmed by the droves of admirers that seemed to follow him all over the city. Christian would be lying if he'd said he didn't like the attention, but none of those young beauties held any interest for him now. He had his sights set on one person, and there was nothing at all, in this world or the next, that was going to change that.

When he'd made it to his room he motioned for two of his valet's to follow him. They rushed to his side immediately and stood at the ready for his next command. He looked the two men over, neither of them older than twenty, and frowned. "Where is Amos?" He asked them.

The two shook their heads apologetically. "We do not know." The bolder of the two spoke. "We have not seen him at all today."

"Really?" Christian narrowed his eyes. "That is most distressing." He looked around his personal chambers, scrutinizing every aspect of the rooms. Nothing seemed out of place. His bed was made. The floors swept, the fire place clean and ready for use during the night. It seemed even without Amos's direction the chamber maids had preformed their duties without fail. Now the valet's stood waiting. Christian was a bit irked though. It seemed he would have to instruct them himself. No matter, he would deal with Amos later.

"Lay out my evening attire." He told the valet's. At once they bowed and went to the Prince's closet which was really another room. Much smaller than his bed chamber but still large and impressive. On one side he had rows of shirts and tunics as well as waists-coats or vests, laid out on sliding trestles. Across from them were breeches, trousers, over coats, scarves, belts, and a shelf devoted to all the jewelry that the Prince owned, though rarely wore. A separate rack was designated for cloaks and capes, as well as house robes.

To the back of the closest were boots, formal foot wear, and house slippers along with gloves for any occasion whether it be hunting, riding, or formal affairs. A row of drawers contained braies (loose fitted undergarments), leggings, and stockings. The valet's went to work selecting the clothing that Christian would be wearing for dinner with his parents. One item at a time they took the clothing and laid them out on the bed so that Christian could look them over and approve the selections, something that ordinarily Amos would have been in charge of.

Christian nodded to each piece of clothing selected though he really wasn't paying all that close attention. His mind was elsewhere. What exactly was he going to tell his father when he saw him? How was he going to explain to Lord and Lady Donovan that he refused their daughter's hand in marriage? Of course his father was going to be furious with him. That was to be expected. His mother would be disappointed, and he had no idea how Lady Jivete and her parents were going to react. His mind raced with all of the possibilities, and none of them good, but it had to be done. Christian had to be true to himself, and to his feelings. He just couldn't wed a woman whom he didn't love, especially not when the one who held his heart was so close.

Christian took a deep breath and tried his best to calm himself. It was almost time to go. He allowed the valet's to wash and comb his hair. They pulled it back and tied it at the nape of his neck, with a black velvet bow. He stripped his riding clothes off and dropped them to the floor. A chamber maid quickly picked the clothes up and took them to the laundry while the valet's went about assisting Christian with his formal wear. It was a common duty for a valet to dress his master though Christian found the idea quite ridiculous and preferred to do much of the dressing himself.

He quickly stepped into his under clothing and black stockings. One of the valet's brought his trousers to him and he slipped them on with ease. They were black leather, with eye-lets, and cross laces going up the outer seam of each leg. The shirt that was chosen for him was a simple cotton one, white, with an open collar, and cuffed sleeves. Over that he wore a formal doublet. The body was made from a rich black and silver, velvet brocade. The collar, sleeves, and waist line were made from black leather. The entire ensemble was decorated with velvet-covered buttons, while the edges were adorned in silver lace.

The doublet hugged his slender, yet muscular form, showing every line and contour of his body. His trousers were form fitting as well with the draw string in back pulled tightly, revealing the full, firm, shape of his ass. For his feet the valet choose a pair of high, black, boots that rose to mid calf. A silver chain was fastened around the ankle of each boot. Next the valet brought a tray of jewelry and held it out for Christian to choose from. Ordinarily Christian choose not to garnish himself with jewels as he felt such things were too pretentious, but as he looked over the tray held out before him, something suddenly caught his eye.