Kiss the Darkness Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

In the middle of the many chains, broaches, and other trinkets he saw an amethyst pendant with matching ring set apart from the rest by its intense beauty. He recalled when he'd first seen the pendant. It had been a gift from his mother. She had told him that it reminded her of the sky in the east when the sun had set over the mountains and the dipping red sun had kissed the blue horizon. When Christian looked at the stone his thoughts were immediately brought to Alexander. The crystal in the pendant and ring matched the color of the boys eyes perfectly.

"That one." Christian said as he pointed to the pendant. "And the ring."

The valet bowed. He removed the ring and pendant then placed the tray back in the closet. He fastened the chain about Christian's neck then slipped the ring onto his middle finger. Christian held his hand out before him and studied the ring. It was like looking into Alexander's eyes. "Perfection." He whispered.

As a finishing touch, the valet attached a leather belt to Christian's waist from which he hung his sword. He was the very picture of elegance and nobility. The valet's stepped back, smiling as they looked him over. "You look truly exquisite, majesty." They bowed as they praised him. Christian stepped in front of the full length mirror and looked himself over.

"Well," He sighed. "I suppose I'm ready." He handed the bolder of the two valet's a black cloak with a purple, velvet, lining and silver fur mantle. The valet draped the cloak over his arm. "Let;s get this over with." Christian said as he made his way to the door. The second valet bowed as Christian passed in front of him. The one holding the cloak followed quickly behind. He wasn't sure how this meeting was going to go but he had a feeling that he was in for a very long night.

___________________________________________

Alexander returned to his rooms, bringing his gifts with him. He was over joyed at having been given the gifts but also a bit concerned. He really hoped that Christian didn't think he expected such things. Alexander was sure that the many women Christian had courted in the past expected flowers, chocolates, and expensive jewelry every-time Christian came calling but that just wasn't the case with Alexander. He did appreciate the sentiment and the time that went into the selection of each item. He also liked the attention that Christian was showing him. No one before had ever made him feel quite as special.

But still, things didn't matter to him, not in the way that they mattered to some. He had lived his entire life up till now without fancy bangles or expensive clothes, and would have been just as happy if Christian had written him a poem or sang him a sonnet. Maybe Alexander didn't really understand how matters of high society worked, but he knew that he didn't need things, he just needed Christian. He hoped that Christian realized that and also knew that he didn't need to shower Alexander with expensive gifts just to gain his affections. As it was, Christian could have been a simple cobbler and Alexander would have loved him just the same.

The grooming kit was rather spectacular though. The sword and dagger were impressive as well but the real gem was the grooming kit. Alexander placed it atop the dressing table in his bed chamber and just sat there, staring at it. A real gentleman's grooming kit. So much nicer than the knife he'd always used before. Alexander rubbed his chin and felt the stubble that had grown there over the past few days. He hadn't had a shave at all in some time let alone a good shave, and he couldn't wait to try out the new blades and lather. He couldn't wait to feel the cool metal of the razor touch his skin, and he was eager to add a sprinkling of the cologne. He imagined the look on Christian's face when he appeared clean shaven and smelling like a true noble.

It had been such a perfect day and Alexander was so trilled over the prospect of seeing Christian again. His plan of a picnic and spending the day together was so ideal that Alexander could hardly control his excitement. It was going to be a magical day, full of romance and splendor. For the first time since his grandmother's death Alexander had felt like his old self again, happy and full of wonder. Eager for what the future held. There was nothing, absolutely nothing, that could spoil his mood now. Everything was just so phenomenal that he knew the Gods must be smiling down on him. There was just no other explanation for all the good fortune that had suddenly come his way.

______________________________________________________

When Christian entered the dinning hall he was surprised to see Amos sitting at the end of the large trestle table. He was set apart from the rest of those in attendance and had an odd look on his face. He wouldn't even lift his head to match Christian's gaze as the Prince walked past him. Christian assumed that he was still angry or hurt over the argument they'd had the night before, and so he didn't say anything when he saw him sitting there. Christian ordered the valet holding his cloak to stand against the wall behind Amos and await further instruction. The valet obeyed at once and took his place.

The only other servant present was a guard that stood near the door to the kitchen. His eyes were front facing and his stance rigid and alert. It was not unusual to see a guard standing there but the lack of other servants or waiters was somewhat of a concern. As Christian looked around the table he noticed a mixture of emotions that ranged from concern to out right ire. Christian was confused suddenly at the dour expressions and obvious lack of merriment that he would have otherwise expected.

The Lord and Lady Donovan sat to the left of the king, across from the Queen. Their daughter, The Lady Jivete, sat between them. Lady Donovan had her head down and pretended not to notice the Prince as she sipped from her glass of wine. Lord Donovan on the other hand was glaring at the Prince as though he wanted to tare his throat out with his teeth. Lady Jivete was watching Christian carefully. Her gaze was both scrutinizing and harsh. Perhaps she had not recovered from being humiliated at the engagement party.

Christian bowed to her. "My Lady." He said softly, matching her gaze. The girl did not speak but continued to watch him with her icy, penetrating stare. Christian swallowed then looked away.

Jivete was a true beauty, just as he had been told. She had wisps of golden hair that came down in ringlets framing her narrow face. The sides of her hair were pulled back into two slender braids that were tied up above each ear and nestled into a sheath of long, golden, curls. One long plait hung from the back of her neck and fell beautifully over her right shoulder. A silver comb of rosettes was pushed into her hair on the left side. Across her forehead she wore a knotted, circlet, tiara, bejeweled with a single tear drop pearl that hung down from the center knot.

Her lips were full and red and though her skin was ivory and flawless she had a natural blush to her cheeks. Her eye lids were painted in a soft pink that brought out the blush in her cheeks magnificently. Her eyes were blue-green, like the sea. Pearl earrings hung from her ears and a matching pearl necklace, simple yet elegant, hung from her neck just above her bosom. The gown she wore was royal blue and absolutely stunning. The neck line was low cut and slightly off the shoulders, and the sleeves were long and full. A gold embroidered floral pattern accentuated the breast and then continued down each sleeve.

One arm was laid out on the table in front of her while the other remained propped on the table so that she was resting her chin against one hand. Her slender finger touched the side of her face, resting there as she looked over the prince. Upon seeing him bow to her she raised an eyebrow which further emphasized her contempt. Even despite the imposing and somewhat frighting look on her face, she was a sight to behold. Had the Prince been free to wed her, he would have considered himself a lucky man to have such a beauty as his bride. Any man would. A woman such as this was not without suitors.

One by one the Prince greeted everyone who was seated at the table, finally coming to the King. He bowed and addressed his father but was surprised when his father slowly rose from the table without saying one word to him. The Prince remained frozen in place as the King moved away from the table and walked over to where the Prince was standing. He regarded his son with something of disgust as he scowled at him. Then, without warning, the King backhanded him across the face so hard that it sent Christian sprawling to the floor.

Christian stared at his father wide eyed as he brought his gloved hand to his mouth and touched his lip. A pool of dark, red, blood had formed against the leather of his glove and he was suddenly aware of the warm, sticky, feel as the blood seeped over his lips and began to trickle down his chin. Amos started to rise, obviously intent on rushing to the Prince's side but a stern look from the King put him in his place once more.

"Father!" Christian gasped. "What's the meaning of this?"

"Shut up!" The King seethed. Queen Maudlin winced as she heard her husbands words echo loudly throughout the hall but she sat motionless, for the first saying nothing as she allowed the assault to continue. The two Ladies seemed rather unconcerned that the Prince had just been struck though Lord Donovan seemed rather amused by it.

"Seriously father." Christian narrowed his eyes as he rose to his feet and stared his father down. "What has come over you?"

"I said silence." The King growled. He shook his head as he turned his back on his son. "By the three suns of Apra, why?" He hissed.

Christian looked to his mother, his eyes asking asking her for an explanation though she could offer none and so she merely looked away, defeated. "I do not understand, Father. What have I done?"

Guillame turned and glared at him. His eyes were dark and menacing and Christian recoiled as though the King's eyes themselves had the power to stop his heart. "What have you done?" The King repeated Christian's word in a long, low, drawn out growl. "You have humiliated me. You have scorned this noble family, as well as insulted their daughter. You have shamed me, shamed my house, and brought dishonor to my name! Most of all you have brought scandal to this Kingdom, your Kingdom, the Kingdom in which you are meant to rule! Your sin is as plain to me as the day is long and yet you stand there and further insult me by playing dumb! You have deceived me and stood in my presence telling me nothing but lies."

"Father, I assure you I have done no such thing, I..."

"And still you lie!" The King shouted. "By the Gods of Vinac, what have I done to deserve such injury to my house?"

Christian turned to the Queen. "Mother, please. Tell me what's going on."

Maudlin simply shook her head. Her eyes were red and filled with the tears that she so desperately fought to hold back.

"This is one time your mother will not come to your rescue boy, for even she can not stomach the disgrace which you have inflicted upon us." Guillame turned to the Guard and nodded. "Bring me the page."

The guard bowed as he disappeared through the kitchen door. A moment later he reappeared with a young page, no more than fifteen. The boy looked positively sick with guilt when he saw the Prince. Guillame held the boy by the hood of his cloak as he dragged him to where Christian stood and pushed him forward. "This morning you were given an order by me, what was it?"

The boy shivered as he looked to the King. "Why, you ordered me to follow the Prince, Sire."

"And did you preform this duty?" The King asked him.

The boy nodded. "I did, majesty. I followed him as he left the stables and I rode some distance behind him, as per your orders."

"Where did the Prince go after leaving the palace?"

"Well, My Lord. He first appeared to be riding out of the city then he stopped and turned, going then to the merchants corner."

"What was he doing there?" The King raised an eyebrow as he studied the look of worry that had suddenly been etched across the Prince's face.

The Page shook his head. "I can't say for certain, My Lord. I saw him enter two shops and each time he left with a parcel, wrapped and tied so that I could not see what it was."

"Where did he go after leaving the shops?"

The Page gulped. "He...he rode outside of the city to McGowan's boarding house."

The King narrowed his eyes as he looked at Christian. "And what did you observe at the boarding house?"

Christian lowered his head and sighed. If the Page spoke the truth then he was done for.

"Nothing for a long time My Lord. He simply went inside while I waited in the bushes. It seemed hours that he was within then finally when he emerged he..." The Page dropped his gaze to the floor. He was shaking all over and his voice quivering as he spoke.

"Well?" Guillame was growing impatient with the boy. "Speak up Lad!"

"I may have been mistaken!" The boy cried out suddenly. "I was so far away and the sun was in my eyes. I know I must had been mistaken!"

"Tell us what you saw!" The King yelled. "Tell this room exactly what it was you had told me in confidence."

The boy was trembling as he looked to Christian. "Forgive me." He muttered. "Please my Prince, forgive me." Christian turned away from him and the Page began to weep.

Guillame gave the boy a quick jerk of his hair causing him to cry out in pain. "Speak!" He demanded.

"When the Prince had come out of the house he had with him a gentle looking youth with long locks of ebony hair. The boy walked him to his horse and I saw...I saw...the Gods have mercy on me but I saw them embrace one another and kiss, as lovers kiss."

The king released the boys hair and the page fell to his knees, whimpering. "Now get out of my sight." The King sneered.

At once the page leapt to his feet and ran from the dinning hall. Christian could feel the King's stare even though his back was turned. He waited for the onslaught, expected it even, but the King turned and addressed Amos instead.

"Rise." He commanded. "Rise and face your master."

Slowly and with a pained expression Amos did as he was told. He stood up from his seat then walked to stand before Christian. Christian looked up at him and slowly shook his head.

"I'm sorry." Amos whispered.

Christian closed his eyes then and took a deep breath. He understood now why Amos was there. If there had been anyone whom Christian had confided in, it was Amos, and the King was well aware of this fact.

"Amos, son of Maedoc, as you stand before your King, Queen, and Lord Donovan I command you to speak only the truth. Is there any legitimacy in what the page has confessed to us today?"

Amos shook his head. "That I can not say, Sire. I was not made privy to the whereabouts of the Prince this morning."

"But is there such a youth who fits the boys description?" This time it was Lord Donovan who spoke.

Amos looked to him and nodded. "There is such a youth." He answered. "Though it pains me to say, I have seen him with my own eyes. The page speaks the truth."

"And what is my sons relationship to this boy?" The King asked.

Amos sighed heavily as he looked to the floor. "They are lovers, my Lord."

Christian's eyes snapped open as he stood, gaping at what Amos had just said. "It's a lie." Christian hissed.

"Is it?" Amos raised an eyebrow.

"I've never touched him." Christian sneered.

"But you do not deny that you are in love with this boy?" Christian turned and looked to his father, who spoke now.

"My Lord, I admit that my relationship with him is...complicated. I have strong feelings for him to be sure, but whatever you have been told by Amos was spoken out of Jealously and pain. Amos is incensed because I spurned his advances and he's using this opportunity to slander my good name."

Amos balled his hands into fists as he stared at Christian. His eyes wide with anger and disbelief. He couldn't believe that Christian had said what he'd just said, and to the King of all people.

Guillame stroked his beard as he considered what Christian was saying. "So, then you are saying that your man lied to my face when he told me that just last night you had confessed to him that you had fallen in love with this boy? This peasant boy?"

Christian diverted his eyes, unable to look at his father now. "Not entirely." He mumbled.

"No?" The King inched closer to him. "No?"

Christian sighed. "No, My lord. He did not lie to you. What he spoke is the truth. I did confess such to him."

"I see." The King folded his hands behind his back and turned away from his son. "And this boy, he is who you had spoke of in my study. The one you'd lead me to believe was a woman?"

"Yes, My Lord. He is."

Guillame looked to the ceiling and sighed heavily. "Then is it your intention to marry this boy?"

Christian closed his eyes and nodded slowly. "Yes, your majesty. That is my intention."

An uncomfortable silence fell over the room. When Christian opened his eyes again he saw that everyone present was now staring at him with a joint look of confusion and alarm.

"You can't be serious." His mother placed her hand over her heart as she stared at him.

Christian straightened himself and stood with confidence for the first time since he'd entered the dinning hall. The truth was out now, he couldn't deny it. All he could do now was stand by his choice. He loved Alexander and he did in fact intend to marry him. To hell with what anyone thought, though the idea that his mother might not support his decision caused him great distress, but he would not back down. Even if it meant renouncing the throne and leaving his father's house, he was determined to be with Alexander. "I am very serious mother, Alexander and I are in love. We want to be together, forever."

"You a fool." Guillame shook his head in disgust. "I will not allow such a union."

"There is no law forbidding it." Christian pointed out.

"I forbid it!" Guillame screamed at him. "My word is law!"

"And so you place yourself higher than the Gods?" Christian raised an eyebrow. "Would you go against the divine teachings? Do not question the will of the Gods for no mans law shall overshadow the design of the eternal spirit."

"You quote scripture to me?" Guillame picked up a glass of wine and threw it at Christian. Christian dodged the glass and watched it shattered against the floor. "You who have sinned before your father and before the eyes of the great creator? And now you quote scripture. Tis Blasphemy!"

"It is not!" Christian yelled suddenly. "The divine scripture states that there can be no sin when an act is done in love. And I love Alexander!"

"I will hear no more of this." Lord Donovan rose from his chair and scowled at Christian. "I withdraw my consent to wed. I'll not have my daughter marry a heretic!"

"Please." Guillame looked at the Lord and pleaded with him to remain calm. "There may yet be a way to salvage this situation."

"I don't see how." Lord Donovan was furious but when he looked at his daughter his demeanor changed. "I see that my daughter is quite distressed. She will not soon recover from this insult. What do you propose, your majesty, that we may rectify the injury inflicted upon us by your son?"

The King looked at Christian, eyeing him carefully as he contemplated the best way to handle the situation. "This boy, Alexander, am I to assume that you've left him at the boarding house?"

"I have." Christian answered, "But I don't see what..."

Guillame put his hand up to silence the Prince. He looked at Jivete and for a moment their eyes locked. A sly smiled crossed the girls pretty features and she nodded as though some unspoken conversation had just passed between them.