Kiss the Darkness Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All through the night the guards had searched for him but he and Alexander were lucky that none of them suspected that they had fled into the mountains. At day break the shift would change and so the guards would return to the palace as another group would no doubt be sent to continue the search. By now King Guillame would be aware of Christian's absence. Once the guards had gone to the boarding house they would know that it was Christian who'd helped Alexander escape. His father would be made aware of this fact very soon which left Christian in a very precarious position.

Christian placed his hand behind his head as he looked at the sky. Were the Gods looking down on him now? Did they even care? He wanted to believe that they would not abandon him in his time of need but it seemed like they had. He earnestly believed that it was the Gods who had brought he and Alexander together. So why now, when they needed them the most, had the Gods left them to be hunted down like animals? Why would they allow Alexander's life to be placed in such danger? And why had they allowed them to fall in love if it truly wasn't meant to be?

All these questions troubled Christian's mind so that he just wanted to drop to his knees in the field and scream. Happiness had been just within his reach and now, it was slowly slipping away and he had no idea how to hold onto it. He thought of just taking Alexander and running as far from Avimur as he could. They could find a quiet village someplace, rent a house and work the land. Christian would be happy with that, as long as he had Alexander by his side, but he knew that Alexander would never allow him to just abandon his family and his people.

He could find a safe place for Alexander to live but then what? Leave, never to see him again? Go back to his life in the palace, marry Jivete, make babies, and do all the things that he was expected to do. That would make his father happy and maybe it would have been for the best, but Christian couldn't help but wonder if his father would accept that and let Alexander live in peace or would he continue to hunt him? If that were the case, then Alexander's life would always be in danger. Christian couldn't accept that, and he couldn't just walk away either. He knew that he would be miserable without Alexander in his life, and Alexander would be miserable without Christian.

It was a no win situation. Christian needed guidance now more than ever before but all his prayers had gotten him so far was silence and strife. Christian wrapped his arms about himself as a cool morning breeze blew past him. He looked back to the masonry and then glanced around the country side. All was quiet, they were alone, and it would be at least a couple of hours before the guards were sent out again to continue their search. For now, they were safe. But they couldn't remain there for long.

Winter was coming, the nights were getting colder, and the mountains held no viable hunting ground, nor stream for catching fish. The ground was no good for planting and no life could be sustained there. Farmers wouldn't even take their live stock to graze in the fields near the Eerie mountains for they feared the ground was cursed, and it may well have been. Stories were told of men who had ventured into the mountains and never returned, and others claimed to have heard moans and screams, and saw the spectral shadows of the damned roaming through the maze of stones that littered the land.

Of course Christian didn't believe in curses or ghost stories but still, there was an unnatural vibe to the place that made his skin crawl and his hair stand on end. The sooner they were on their way, the better. Christian just wanted to put this place behind them and never look back.

___________________________________

Alexander had awoken after just a few short hours. He sat up and noticed Christian's cloak had been placed over him, but Christian was no where to be seen. Had he gone back to the palace and left Alexander there alone? No, he would never do that. But it did raise the question, where had he gone?

Alexander stood and wrapped the cloak around himself then went to the doorway and looked out side. He could hear the scuffling and neighing of Necromancer in the shed and so he knew that christian had not left, he never would have gone on foot, so he had to be somewhere near by. Alexander stepped outside and looked around. He thought of calling out to him but then thought better of it. That would only draw attention to them. He decided then to go about on foot looking, hoping that he would spot Christian near the masonry. He was ready to leave this place. It gave him the creeps.

He knew that he had to be mistaken, but he just couldn't get passed the feeling that he was being watched. He pulled the cloak tighter around himself as he shivered. It was time to find Christian and continue on to where ever it was they were headed. Any place would be better than where they were. He figured it was nothing but still, he couldn't get passed the feeling that something terrible had once happened not far from where he now stood. Whatever it was, whatever he was feeling, the unease grew stronger the closer he was to the base of the mountain. Despite his apprehension though, there was something that seemed to draw him in. Some force, like a pulse, that encapsulated him and made his heart pound wildly in his chest.

Alexander hesitated a moment. It was strange, but he almost heard what sounded like a soft humming, though not anything that was natural. No animal or man made such a distinct sound and oddly enough, it seemed to be emanating from the rocks themselves. Alexander reached out with a quivering hand and touched the air. The pulse he'd felt was all around him and when he extended his fingers he felt a surge of something powerful move through him. The tips of his fingers sparked and he saw a rippling in the air, like water. He narrowed his eyes and watched as the rippling spread out before him. The stones seemed to shift and move before his eyes and suddenly he realized that he was looking at a path, hidden within the rocks.

He was almost certain that the path had not been there before, yet now he could see it as plain as day. Frightened, and unsure, he moved forward. There was something there, waiting in the mountains, and it was calling to him. He knew that it was foolish to go alone, but there was something unseen pulling him forward and he suddenly found himself following the path. Whatever force called to him was growing immensely stronger as he walked, and his desire to discover the source was so strong now that it drove him on despite his deep reservations.

Maybe thirty minutes had passed since Alexander had stepped onto the mountain path and now he found himself standing at the entrance of a great ruins, that over time, seemed to have been forgotten entirely. It seemed some type of wall or fortress had once stood where he was now, though a great deal of it had been torn down or destroyed by the harsh weather. The path he had taken, barely discernible through the flora, ended abruptly as wild vegetation concealed it, covering the ruins. Although an enchanting place, the ruins seemed lost in a ghost like mist.

Concealed by rugged mountains and a dense forest, the impressive stone walls told a melancholy tale of what must have transpired there. The half-light of morning shone through the gnarled branches as shadowy arms reached across the decaying structure. What was left stood, defying gravity, in defiance of the men who fell. The stone columns now were all that stood complete as the rest had worn away and crumbled. Though not as timeless as the mountains, what was left outlasted the civilization who had created it.

Alexander moved through the rubble and broken stone, through endless piles of the dismembered fortress now taken over by vines and weeds. A smell of damp trees not yet in bloom clung to the air and a gust of dry wind blew through the ancient ruins. The scent of late fall was laden into those gusts as the force of the wind pushed brutally against the sentinel stone.

The stillness in the air seemed to suck the very sound of his footfalls into the nothingness of the place and he shivered, in spite of himself, as though walking through an abandoned grave yard.

He realized as he moved between the columns, beneath an arch walkway, that that's exactly what this place was, a grave yard. It held the distinctive scent of death within its broken stones and the soil beneath his feet was dark, as though stained with blood. The further into the structure he went, the more he felt the oppressive weight that hung in the air.

He was standing within the center of the broken stones now, and looked around to where the wall must have once rose up, concealing what was hidden within. This fortress wasn't meant to keep someone out, but rather to keep something in, of that he was sure. Whoever had built the wall was protecting something, shielding it from the outside world. Perhaps it's location was meant to be a secret, but why? Was it so precious that it had to be protected, or was it something too terrible to risk anyone discovering its existence? More questions, and never any answers. That was all Alexander had.

He was so lost in thought that he didn't even realize that he was no longer alone. When a twig snapped behind him he turned quickly and found Christian standing behind him with a look of tension etched across his face. "What is this place?" He whispered as he scanned the area.

Alexander shrugged. "I do not know but it feels...personal."

Christian narrowed his eyes. "I don't like it. We should leave here."

Alexander nodded but as he was about to walk to where Christian stood he again heard that soft humming. He turned around and looked for its source. "What is that?" He asked.

"What is what?"

"Do you not hear that sound?" Alexander took a few steps forward and found himself standing before a tall arch. Either side of it was blocked by piles of dirt and stone. A curtain of leafy vines hung down, sweeping the ground and concealing what lay beyond.

Christian was watching Alexander with great concern. "Alexander, come with me. This place, there's a darkness here that I can't quite explain. I just know that it feels wrong somehow. We should not be here."

"In a moment." Alexander pushed the leaves aside and looked at the arch way. It was by far more grand then the others that led to the center of the ruins. It stood some eight feet tall and there were strange markings etched into the stone. "I think these are words." Alexander said, "But I don't know what they say."

Christian walked to where Alexander stood and looked up. "Dear Gods." He whispered. He could suddenly feel the blood turn to ice in his veins. "I know these symbols. I don't know what they mean, but I have seen them before, in a book in the old monastery. It's Dravenian."

Alexander stared at him, dumbfounded. "It can't be. If that's true then this place..." He shook his head as if to tell himself he was imagining things.

"It's the temple of Ar'oneth, the demon God." Christian placed his hand on Alexander's shoulder. "We must leave this place, Alexander. It's not safe here."

"But all of the Draveil are dead." Alexander told him. "What danger can there be in just looking around."

"You know the stories." Christian said. "This temple guards the gate of Vessard."

Alexander smiled as he looked at Christian. "I thought you didn't believe in such fairy tales."

"Well, let's not stick around and prove me wrong." He reached for Alexander's hand but to his surprise, Alexander pulled away from him.

Without warning, Alexander pushed the vines aside and quickly disappeared within the archway.

"No!" Christian yelled after him. "Alexander dammit, for the love of the Gods, get back here!"

Christian cursed under his breath but, against his better judgment, pushed the vines aside as Alexander had done and followed behind him, urging him to turn back.

"I just want to see it." Alexander told him.

"See what? The gates to hell?"

"If there is such a thing. Aren't you curious to know if it actually exists?"

"No." Christian snapped, "I'm not. Not at all."

A moment later they found themselves in a dark tunnel. It was narrow and they had to feel along the walls to find their way. To Christians utter surprise there were no vermin nor even cob webs anywhere. Even the rats and spiders knew better than to disturb the temple. After a short distance Alexander began to see light seeping in from the other end of the tunnel. He smiled and rushed towards it. Christian wasn't far behind though he was less eager to see what was on the other side.

When Christian found him, Alexander was standing in the center of small courtyard with a look of terror across his face. Christian rushed to him. "What is it?" He asked, concerned. He didn't need to wait for an answer though, as soon as his eyes adjusted he saw what it was that Alexander was staring at. All around them were the bones of fallen warriors. Many still intact with their armor holding them in place. Some were sitting up against the stone wall, while others lay on the ground in resting positions as though asleep. Their swords were sheathed, and there was no sign that any battle had taken place. It's as if they had laid down for the night and perished.

Christian moved past Alexander and walked around, looking at the dead. The type of armor that they wore along with the fanged teeth in their skulls told Christian all he needed to know. He picked up one of the swords to confirm his suspicions and sighed when he saw the same type of markings on the sheath as were etched in the stone outside. "They're Draveil warriors." He told Alexander. "All of them. They'd been slaughtered in their sleep."

Alexander shook his head as he stared at them. "But how?"

Christian picked up a steel goblet that rested on the ground next to one of the bodies. He looked inside it and immediately tossed the thing to the ground. "Poison." He breathed. "Black moss poison. It stains steel and black moss grows where the poison sits. Look, you can see black moss growing on the skulls and out of their chests. It was probably put in their water supply."

Alexander hugged himself. "Who would do such a thing?"

Christian shrugged. "I don't know." He told him. But that was a lie. Deep down, Christian knew exactly who it was that had carried out this atrocity, or at least ordered it to be done. It was largely rumored, though never confirmed, that it was Guillame himself who'd ended the Draveil army. All his life though Christian had thought it only stories. Never had he believed that it was actually true. But as he stood there now it was more than obvious to him. His father was responsible for the murder of sixty men or more. Draveil of course, but men none the less. Men with families, children, and wives. And what was worse, there was never any mention of a battle between Avimur and the Draveil. The old stories called them allies.

So why, why would his father order these men to be murdered in cold blood? It made no sense. Christian leaned against the wall and covered his face with his hands. Everything he'd ever thought about his father was a lie. He wasn't some wise, caring, and benevolent leader, he was a cold blooded killer, a monster. Christian felt weak but he didn't want Alexander to see and so he did his best to compose himself. When he turned he saw Alexander walking towards the side of the mountain where the stone walls stopped. His eyes were staring at a part of the rock between two alabaster pillars that sat atop three stone slabs that formed a set of steps.

The rock was flat and smooth, unlike the rest of the mountain, which was rough with jagged stones pressing out from within it. There also appeared some form of art work that had been chiseled out, framing that particular portion of stone. As Alexander approached it the stone began to glow with a soft blueish hue that intensified the closer he came. One by one Alexander took the steps till he was standing between the pillars. Christian watched as he raised his arm. His eyes went wide when he realized that Alexander intended to touch the bluish light.

"No!" He screamed suddenly, racing to Alexander's side. But before he could stop him, Alexander had stretched his arm out and placed his hand against the smooth rock. Immediately the entire area was filled with the bright blue light that radiated from the stone. Alexander's body was engulfed in the light as well, almost as if the light itself were pulling him into it.

In a moment of panic, Christian grabbed Alexander by his shoulders and pulled him back. Alexander gasped then fell backwards against Christian. The mountain seemed to come alive then as it, and the ground beneath them, began to shake. There was a loud, resonating, rumble like the clap of thunder and an explosion of light that sent Alexander and Christian flying through the air some fifteen feet where they hit, sprawling across the ground and into the smaller archway on the other end of the courtyard.

Christian took a moment to gather his senses as he tried to comprehend what had just happened. He looked to his right and found Alexander laying, unconscious, against the body of one of the fallen soldiers.

"Please, no!" Christian cried out as he rushed to Alexander's side. He lifted his head and held the boy against him. He sighed in relief when Alexander exhaled deeply, then opened his eyes. He was stunned, but alive, though his forehead was bleeding. Christian ripped off the cuff of his sleeve and mopped up the blood that was dripping down Alexander's face.

"What...happened?" Alexander stammered.

Christian shook his head. "I have no idea." He looked up at the stone beyond the pillars and narrowed his eyes. Whatever had been there before was gone now. The light had dissipated and it was again just a stone with no sign that anything supernatural or otherwise had taken place. Christian helped Alexander to his feet and held onto him as Alexander struggled to regain his footing, but it was as if his legs could not hold him and so he collapsed, back to the ground, with Christian kneeling beside him. Alexander was weak, so very weak, like all the energy had just been drained out of him and yet, he felt oddly exhilarated, even slightly intoxicated.

It was like when he opened his eyes he saw the world in a new light. Everything was different, yet the same. It's his senses were on overload. Colors seemed brighter. Smells were more potent, the sounds all around him louder, but that wasn't all. He heard sounds that he'd never heard before, that he'd never even realized were there before. It's like he could hear the mountain itself, the soft rumble of stone as though they were speaking to each other. He listened and realized that he could hear the trees breath and shift in the wind.

When he touched his hand to the ground beneath him a series of new and exciting sensations coursed through his body. The energy of nature all around him suddenly began to surge throughout his body and he realized in that moment that he was connected to everything. It was though the eternal spirit had blessed him and he was now one with very world he lived in. Even as he looked at Christian he felt closer to him somehow. He could hear his heart pounding erratically in his chest and and he could feel his fear.

Alexander touched his face and smiled. "I'm fine." He told him. "You have nothing to fear. Everything is going to be alright now, I promise."

Christian hugged Alexander tightly, crushing him against his body as he began to weep into Alexanders long, ebony locks. "I thought I'd lost you." He whispered.

Alexander hugged him back, wrapping his arms around Christians neck, holding onto him as though Christian were the only thing in the world now. Alexander pressed his face into Christian's neck and inhaled the scent of him. He was lost in Christian's scent, and mesmerized by the beating of his heart.