Kiss the Darkness Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm sure it will be fine." Christian stood up and looked around the field. The last sun was slowly setting, taking the light with it, but there was enough light left for Christian to see the horses and the three bodies that Alexander had drug beneath a large oak tree, cleaned, and laid out gently side by side as though sleeping. Christian nodded to the bodies. "What happened?" He asked.

Alexander looked up. "Lightning." He told him.

Christian rubbed his chin. He remembered the lightning and he remembered the way the guards who held him had run in fear. It was then that he was struck in the head and the world went dark. Now he was here, alive, and Alexander was alive. Three guards were dead and the others presumably ran off. He wasn't sure what to make of it. All he knew for certain was that it was no ordinary storm that had saved them but, was it the works of the Gods, or something more sinister?

Alexander was watching him silently, trying to read his face.

Christian walked to the bodies and knelt down, looking them over. "These were good men." He sighed. "They didn't deserve this."

Alexander hung his head, hoping that Christian didn't see the look of guilt on his face. Christian stood again and walked back over to where Alexander was sitting. He sat down next to him, crossing his legs, leaned back on his hands, and peered into the fire. "When those bolts of lightning came down, they came close, but only close enough to frighten the guards. Even when the guards held me, I was left completely unharmed. I didn't even feel the heat from the bolts as they struck the ground." He turned his head and looked at Alexander but Alexander seemed to be studying the fire intensely. "But the three who were struck dead, they were struck in such a way that it almost seemed...intentional."

"How could it have been intentional?" Alexander asked him, still looking at the fire. "Lighting isn't alive. It can't think or reason."

"True, so it couldn't have been intentional. Not unless something or someone else were controlling it."

Alexander looked up suddenly, narrowing his eyes. "What are you trying to say?"

Christian shrugged. "Something happened to you at that temple. I don't know what and I don't know why but it changed something in you. Ever since we left that place you've seemed different. Stronger and more confident. I noticed the change in you the moment you kissed me. I felt an energy inside of you that I've not felt before. It was exhilarating but also a little frightening."

"I'm the same man I was before." Alexander sighed. "No better and no worse."

"No," Christian shook his head. "You're not the same as before. Can't you feel it? There's a power within you. Maybe you've only scratched the surface of it but it's there, and it's burning to be set free."

Alexander threw the stick he'd poking the fire with in the flame and stood up. He turned and glared at Christian accusingly. "What then? You think I'm a witch like your guard friend? You think I'm some evil, heartless, and murderous creature that should be destroyed?"

"No, I don't." Christian stood and walked to Alexander, taking him in his arms. "I don't think you're a witch. And I know you're not evil or heartless. You're the kindest and most loving person I have ever met. I don't even know if you had anything to do with the storm. It seems crazy to believe that you did and a week ago I would thought any man foolish who even suggested it. But after the things I have seen today, I don't know if I should be questioning my teachings or my sanity. But one thing I know for certain is that you respect life and you're not a killer. So, if you did have anything to do with what happened here then you must have felt it necessary. Alexander, there is no shame in defending yourself."

"What about in taking an innocent life? Is there no shame in that?" Alexander felt tears sting his eyes and he tried to turn his head away so that Christian could not see his face, but Christian caught his face and held his gaze as they looked into each others eyes.

"It's tragic that they had to die carrying out orders without even knowing the truth behind those orders, but the shame belongs to the man who started all this. The man who sent those guards after us. It is his shame and his alone and I'll not let you carry that burden for one second longer. I've fought in battles, and I've killed men, and I've hated myself for it. It's not something that ever gets any easier to live with but sometimes you just have to realize that it's unavoidable. When you are staring down an opponent and it's his life or yours defending yourself will always be the correct choice. No man that I know would just lay down his sword and accept death."

"But I never meant for harm to come to anyone." Alexander buried his face in Christian's chest and wept. "I don't even really know for sure what did happen! I just know that he was coming after me, I was scared, and I was also angry. I thought to myself that I wanted him to stop and wanted the fighting to end and then...before I could react, he was struck dead."

Christian wrapped his arms around Alexander and tried to sooth the boy. "Shh.'" He whispered as he rocked him back and forth. "It's over now. All we can do is try to put it all behind us."

Alexander pulled back and looked up at Christian. "I can't." He sobbed. "I can't just pretend that it never happened. You were right when you said that something has changed in me. I do feel it. Even now I feel it coursing through my body and it scares the hell out of me. I don't know what's happening to me and I don't know where to get the answers. If my grandmother were still alive she might know but without her, I'm so lost. I have no one now, and I don't know what to do."

"No," Christian said as he hugged Alexander to him. "You have me. I promise you, no matter what it takes, we will figure this out."

"But how? I know it has something to do with that Draveil temple, but with all the Draveil dead, who would help us?"

Christian took a deep breath as he thought about it. "I might know of one place." He told him. "A place where I know there are old texts about the Draveil. It will be dangerous though. We'll have to travel close to Avimur and the guards won't stop searching for us. After what happened here, they will come in greater numbers, and they will be out for blood. But, we have an advantage in that they won't be expecting us to return to Avimur. My guess is that they will be searching for us near the docks and inland around Unelin. If the Gods are with us then we should be able to sneak in undetected."

"And if not?" Alexander asked.

Christian ran his fingers through Alexander's hair. He looked into his violet eyes again and sighed. "Then, we pray for a miracle, because even a lightning storm won't prevent the incursion we're sure to face. We'll be in for the fight of our lives."

____________________________________________________

Alexander was correct, the piasa tasted like shit. But, it was meat and it was hot, and Christian was starving. After they'd eaten, Christian laid the blanket down on the ground next to the fire. He add some more kindling, stoked the flame, then he and Alexander lay down on the blanket and fell asleep in each other's arms. The night was cold but the heat from their bodies and the hot flame of the fire kept them warm. The fire began to die down in the middle of the night, waking Christian from his slumber. He added more twigs and sticks and once the flame was high again he lay back down, wrapping his arms around Alexander protectively.

Morning came too soon. Alexander opened his eyes and yawned. He shook Christian awake and the two of them sat up, shivering, and wet with morning dew. Christian combed his fingers through his hair and stretched his long legs. "I've got to take a piss." He announced suddenly and Alexander laughed.

"Actually, I do too." He got up and began walking towards a near by bush. He turned and winked at Christian. "No peeking." He teased.

"Not making any promises." Christian grinned mischievously. Christian found his own spot and quickly released himself from his trousers. He leaned his head back and sighed with relief as he emptied his bladder. The first piss of the morning always felt so good. If he'd waited any longer, he was sure he would have pissed down his leg.

Alexander came back and together they quickly packed up their camp. Alexander wrapped up the uneaten meat and put it in one of the saddle bags. They were ready to go when Christian told Alexander that he had one more thing to do before they left the area.

He went about collecting as many twigs and sticks as he could and then laid them around the bodies. Next he found some dried grass and leaves and that too he placed around the bodies. He and Alexander stood looking at the make-shift pyre and bowed their heads in silence as Alexander offered up a silent prayer. Christian then lit a fire and they watched as the flames consumed the fallen soldiers.

"They're find peace beyond the gates of Vinac." Christian said. "They died warriors."

"Peace be with you brothers." Alexander whispered. "One day, we'll meet again." He turned and walked to the horses. Christian followed behind. They mounted the horses that once belonged to the guards, and Christian tied Necromancers reigns to his saddle. It felt strange riding another horse. He'd had Necromancer since he was a pony, but with his injured leg, Christian didn't want to put too much weight on him. If he could make it to their next destination he would receive proper medical attention, food, and lodging, but that was a big if. Alexander was wise in tending to his injuries though. His quick thinking may just have saved him.

"So, where exactly are we going?" Alexander asked, once they were on their way.

"To the monastery in Qedor. I spent a lot of time there as a child and I specifically remember the old books on the Draveil. There are a few scrolls too but I was never allowed to read them. They're too old and fragile but I'm hoping the monks there might be able to answer some of our questions."

"Thank you." Alexander said as they rode. "Thank you for doing this."

Christian smiled. "I'd do anything for you, you have but to ask."

Alexander blushed. "One day I'll return the favor."

"When you're ready." Christian told him. "We have the rest of our lives together, so only when you're ready."

Alexander nodded. He liked the sound of that. The rest of their lives together. He just wondered, exactly how long that would be.