Lady Agnes' Two Fiancés

Story Info
Lady Agnes became engaged twice during WW1.
4.8k words
4.73
5.7k
7
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
oggbashan
oggbashan
1,526 Followers

Copyright Oggbashan July 2021

The author asserts the moral right to be identified as the author of this work.

This is a work of fiction. The events described here are imaginary; the settings and characters are fictitious and are not intended to represent specific places or living persons.

In the years before the First World War, Lady Agnes was enjoying life. She was rich because her father had married an American heiress. She was tall -- from her father, and beautiful having inherited her mother's beauty.

Her father loved her but was worried because she was considered fast, and by the standards of the day a wild child. He was also concerned that she spent too much time with the family's young chauffeur Alfred and not enough time with the horses. But his worries were lessened in the early Summer of 1914 when Alfred became engaged to a parlour maid and Lady Agnes finally accepted the proposal of her second cousin Ernest.

He might have been more worried if he knew that Lady Agnes took part in Ernest's favourite activity -- flying at an Aero Club at Eastchurch on the Isle of Sheppey. Agnes would drive the family's Rolls Royce Silver Ghost to the outskirts of London before, at her father's insistence, Alfred drove through London. She would have driven her Mercer Raceabout, but the Rolls was much more reliable.

At Eastchurch, Agnes had been accepted as a competent pilot and each trip she came, weather permitting, she was flying in a variety of very flimsy aircraft. She had crash landed twice, which wasn't unusual for the time, but each time she had walked away and the aircraft was repairable, even if the cost of maintenance and repairs was a considerable part of Agnes' expenditure. But she could afford it.

Everything changed with the outbreak of war. Ernest became an RFC pilot and went to France among the first RFC pilots to go into action. Agnes' father resumed his post as Colonel of a local regiment and went to war in the Middle East, taking Albert and the Silver Ghost with him. In Cairo, the Silver Ghost was fitted with armour plating and they also had a Rolls Royce Armoured car, which at first only Albert of the whole regiment could drive.

Agnes volunteered to be a VAD, a trainee nurse, but she was mainly an ambulance driver in Belgium from early in the war. When driving her ambulance she wore her flying helmet. Her mother was horrified when Agnes was the first of the family to be wounded in action, hit by shrapnel from a Germen shell, but Agnes dismissed it. Her wounds were superficial and as she put it "If you are going to be injured, where better than with an ambulance and its crew?".

Agnes was sent back to England to recover for a few weeks which she spent training more volunteers to drive ambulances. A month later she was back in Belgium and she had received her stripe as a VAD who had served for more than a year and was considered competent.

A couple of weeks later the Field Dressing Station that was the base for Agnes' ambulance was being moved further away from the front line because a large German attack was expected and the new British front line trenches would be on the site of the dressing station. As Agnes unloaded her last load of wounded, she was about to drive her ambulance to the new site when an RFC plane landed in the field next to the dressing station. The pilot didn't get out. Agnes drove her ambulance up to the plane as some soldiers helped the pilot, obviously wounded, from the cockpit.

Agnes' crew applied wound dressings to the pilot's legs and arm and loaded him in the ambulance. As he was being unloaded, he caught Agnes' hand with his uninjured arm.

"Nurse," He said urgently, "I was doing reconnaissance to see where the Germans would attack. I was taking pictures but my plane is the only one to return. The photos MUST get back to my unit -- NOW. The camera is built into the plane and only experts can remove the film safely."

"Is the plane undamaged?"

"Yes. But low on fuel. There's just enough to get back to my base but it would mean crossing the German lines. They have a salient between here and there."

"OK, George. I'll sort it."

"How?"

"I'll fly it myself."

"But you're a nurse."

"And a pilot with probably more flying hours than you."

"I wouldn't be surprised. I have only 90."

"And I have over 500. Don't worry. I'll get your plane delivered."

Agnes got some soldiers to turn the plane around, swing the propellor and take away the makeshift chocks when she told them to. Once she was airborne she saw that the fuel gauge was nearly empty. She flew straight and low. Just before she reached the German lines a German fighter spotted her and started to chase.

Agnes flew along the line of the German trenches at about thirty feet. The German pilot couldn't fire because he might hit his own side. The men in the trenches couldn't react fast enough and anyway their pilot was very close to Agnes so they could have been shooting at him. Agnes was worried that she would be vulnerable when she had to turn towards the RFC base but two British planes had seen her and chased away the German. Agnes' engine was beginning to splutter as she eased into a perfect landing and taxied towards the airfield's buildings.

She pulled off her leather flying helmet and put on her nurse's headdress before she was helped from the plane by incredulous airmen. A group hurriedly erected a dark tent under the fuselage to remove the negatives. Agnes handed the map that George had marked where he had photographed to a pilot. A group of RFC pilots rushed towards her but made way for the station commander.

"Hello Lady Agnes," the Major said. "I thought I ought to know a lady pilot who can land a plane with no fuel so expertly. We were introduced at Eastchurch."

"More than that, Major Rudy. You were one of my first instructors."

"And you were soon far beyond me. You're probably a better pilot that I am, and possibly better than any of my pilots too."

"Maybe -- but not in combat."

"You just have been, Lady Agnes, in an unarmed plane.

"That was scary until your fighters arrived."

"Come and join me in the officers' mess. You need a cup of tea at least, or maybe champagne, and then my driver will take you back to your unit."

"If he can find it. They were moving when George landed."

"And entrusted his plane to the best pilot around. Thank you."

"I'm sure my fiancé Ernest is a better pilot than I am."

"Perhaps he is. He became an ace last week and has made two more kills since then. But he takes too many risks in combat. His squadron won't necessarily follow him because he will attack overwhelming numbers. By the way, George has telephoned. He is wounded but not very seriously. He wants to know if you arrived safely. I'll let him know as soon as I can get to a telephone."

"He was a bit startled when I offered to fly his plane."

"I'm not surprised. There are very few competent women pilots and you're the best I know, Lady Agnes."

"War is risky. I've been wounded myself."

"But you're a nurse.!"

"German shells don't care."

In the officers' mess Lady Agnes was offered champagne. She had one glass but when she asked for tea it was swiftly provided in RFC crested china. She had to recount her flight to the assembled pilots, many of whom had seen her low over enemy lines.

The adjutant came in with a folder which he handed to the Commandant.

"Sir, these are copies of the photos that George took. Another set are on their way to the local HQ by motorcycle messenger. As we expected, they show the Germans assembling troops and equipment either side of the salient, But George must have gone very low indeed, in some pictures we can make out the cap badges and regimental markings. To the East are the 15th Bavarians; to the West the 9th Prussians. That is bad news. They are both battle-hardened and have been out of the front areas for weeks. It will be hard to stop them."

"But thanks to George and Lady Agnes we know who and when. That helps."

The commandant whispered in the adjutant's ear.

"Yes, Sir. It will be typed within a quarter of an hour."

The adjutant left. The commandant spread the photographs on a table. The pilots made room for Lady Agnes to see too.

"I'm not surprised George was injured," she said. "How low do you think he was flying?"

"For these? About 500 feet." A pilot said "But these few? Fifty feet or less."

"That was suicidal," Lady Agnes protested.

"But extremely valuable. Those lower pictures show us who is there."

"More tea, Lady Agnes?" The commandant asked.

As she was drinking the second cup the adjutant returned. He handed a folder to the Commandant.

"Lady Agnes?" It appeared to be a formal request. She stood up.

"I have decided you need recognition for your flight today. This Is your commission as an RFC pilot officer attached to this base."

"What! This is unprecedented, sir," Lady Agnes protested.

"So was your flight over enemy lines."

The commandant pinned RFC wings on Lady Agnes' cape.

"You are now one of us, Pilot Officer Lady Agnes. I am sure your fiancé Ernest will be pleased."

"Yes, Sir." Lady Agnes saluted the Commandant among cheers from all the officers present.

"And now, Pilot Officer, we should get you back to your post at the field dressing station, wherever it is now. My driver will take you in my Crossley, but remember you will always be welcome here when your duties permit."

"Yes sir. Thank you, sir." Lady Agnes replied.

She drove off with cheers from the officers and men of the RFC base. It took three hours and several stops for directions before she was at the moved station. Lady Agnes showed her RFC commission to the medical director.

"An RFC Pilot Officer? You still have to salute me, Lady Agnes, but I wonder. Until now you were a civilian VAD, a good, qualified one and a skilled ambulance driver. But now? You have a commission in His Majesty's Forces. You are no longer a civilian. I need to take the change in."

"So do I, sir. It seems unreal."

"Unreal? Maybe. Odd, certainly, but it might help the medical services. I will have to think and consult the powers that be. But we are pleased to have you back unharmed. Thank you."

+++

Two hours before the dawn of the expected German attack, the British artillery opened up a barrage on the tip of the salient, switching, half an hour before dawn, to the edges where the attacks were expected. Despite that, the Germans advanced about 200 yards either side, but the British pushed in the tip of the salient by 300 yards. What had been a sharp incursion had become no more than a bump, but the cost had been thousands of lives on each side. Over the next few days new front lines were established and that area of the Western Front resumed its sporadic fighting again.

Lady Agnes returned to her normal duties as an ambulance driver but within a week it was decided as she was also a serving officer, she could not be a civilian VAD. She was transferred to the Queen Alexander's Imperial Nursing Service as a fully qualified nurse, and an officer. At first all that meant is that she had a different uniform but her duties were the same. As now a military personage in two roles she had to salute, and be saluted, far more often than she had been as a VAD who had no Army status, but she thought it was a joke but to be taken seriously.

Agnes and her fiancé Ernest wrote to each other several times a week. In one of his early letters he had sent her a silver RFC sweetheart brooch which she had worn on her VAD uniform and now next to her pilot's wings. When Agnes told Ernest she was now a pilot officer in the RFC he was amused. "You will have to salute me, next time we meet." Ernest wrote. "I might be a Wing Commander by then..."

Agnes was surprised to get a letter from a distant elderly cousin who was an assistant manager at her bankers. He told her she was being paid twice -- as a QAINS Officer and an RFC Pilot Officer. He had informed her family's accountants because there could be tax implications but even both salaries were a very small part of her income.

When the military tailor's representative made a call, Agnes ordered two sets of RFC service uniform, a dress uniform, and three sets of flying overalls, showing her rank in the RFC. When they arrived, she found the flying overalls useful when driving an ambulance with no windscreen. Wearing her overalls and a leather flying helmet was much more practical than her nurse's uniform even if some of the less wounded men made jokes about her attire.

Agnes kept an eye of George's progress as her special patient. He had been shot through both thighs and his right arm but was recovering well. Like Ernest, he found it amusing that Lady Agnes was now a Pilot Officer in the RFC an saluted her every time he saw her, even if he had to do it left-handed at first.

Two months later George, although not fully recovered, was well enough to re-join his squadron. Lady Agnes, dressed in her RFC field uniform, drove him in an ambulance to his base. The journey only took twenty minutes because she now knew the locations of both the base and the dressing station. On arrival, she and George were treated as heroes. Both of them were told they had been recorded as 'Mentioned in Despatches'. It was over an hour before Lady Agnes could leave again.

When Agnes returned, she was summoned by the medical director.

"Lady Agnes, I informed the senior authorities of your status as an RFC pilot and made a suggestion They have finally agreed. As you know, we sometimes have seriously wounded men who need more treatment than we can provide and we send then by ambulance to the base hospitals at Wimereux."

"And?"

"Every month we lose a couple who die in transit, shaken up by the bad roads. The suggestion was that some could be sent by air -- piloted by you."

"But the landing could shake then up too..."

"But you are a good pilot. The risks are less. They have found a Short Bomber. They are still in active service but being replaced by Handley Page 0/100s, a much better bomber. The particular Short Bomber has been shot up several times and was almost beyond economical repair but they think, if it is rebuilt and lightened it could be an ambulance plane. The bomb racks, the machine gun, and the gunner's position will be removed. It could take two or possibly three stretchers and two corpsmen, along with a co-pilot."

"Three stretchers and four people might be too heavy a load, sir."

"As the pilot, that would be your decision. The RFC think three is feasible once they have lightened the plane. You will have an RFC co-pilot. Initially that will be George. He is fit to fly but not yet fit for combat as a fighter. Will you do it?"

"Yes Sir, if I have RFC mechanics and suitable landing places here and at Wimereux."

"I understand that Wimereux has a full scale RFC base with all facilities. Here? An airstrip will be made just for you."

"OK, Sir. I will try when the airstrip and plane are ready."

"That should take about a month. Thank you, Lady Agnes."

+++

Two weeks later Agnes received the letter she had been expecting since the war started. Ernest's father had written to tell her that Ernest was recorded as 'Missing in Action, believed killed'. It was on his last sortie as a Squadron Leader before being promoted to Wing Commander. Ernest and his squadron were escorting bombers to attack a German air base when they encountered three German fighter squadrons. Ernest had drawn three Germans away from the bombers, had shot one down before being hit by the other two. His plane was seen out of control and on fire before it dropped behind a ridge. One of the bombers' crew said he thought Ernest's plane had straightened out just before it went out of view. No one else saw that but they all saw a thick column of smoke.

That night Agnes cried herself to sleep. She and Ernest had had so little time together since the war started. She had wanted to know him better and if possible marry in about a year's time. Now that hope was lost with Ernest. She went about her duties as before but with a hollow feeling inside. What had she to live for?

+++

The arrival of the Short Bomber and the recovered George gave her some feelings again. She and George practised take-offs and landings for a few days. The RFC had dropped notes at the nearest German air bases to tell them that Lady Agnes' plane prominently marked with Red Crosses would be flying to and from Wimereux with injured men, some of whom could be German. A German note in response had been received at Lady Agnes' base, acknowledging the British one, but surprisingly, including an award of an Iron Cross Second Class for Agnes as recognition of the flying skills and her work with wounded German troops.

George had brought Agnes a 'mourning' RFC sweetheart brooch, like the one she already had, but mounted on black petals.

One the first flight with wounded men, Agnes was startled and worried because shortly after take-off a German fighter came to her port side, flying very close. The German pilot held up a thumb and escorted her to the Wimereux approach but within about a mile of him appearing a British fighter arrived on her starboard side. The German pilot peeled off and headed back to the German lines, but the British plane stayed with her until she had landed.

The first two flights with wounded men, Agnes has taken off and landed. Her landings were perfect, so much so that one of the corpsmen was unaware that they had landed until the aircraft stopped.

On the second day, Agnes let George handle the take-off and flight, taking over only to land. On the third day she considered George competent enough to land as well. He wasn't quite as skilled as she was, but his landings were more than reasonable. After that, they alternated, except that Lady Agnes would take the controls if the weather was bad or if there were strong cross-winds.

After two months of twice daily flights, George was to be returned to his unit as fully fit to fly as a fighter pilot again. After he landed for the final time, he turned to Lady Agnes and proposed. She accepted him, and yet another sweetheart brooch to go with her engagement ring. She was now wearing two engagement rings, Ernest's and George's, and two sweetheart brooches, one with the black background.

George was replaced by a trainee bomber pilot, fresh out of training school. It was a fortnight before Agnes would trust him to take-off and another week before his first landing. He was young, to Agnes he seemed impossibly young, but willing and eager to learn. After two months he too left to be replaced by another trainee for Agnes to teach. He was followed by a third trainee and a fourth...

When Agnes had a day off because the weather was just too bad for her to fly she drove over to the RFC base for tea.

"Lady Agnes? We are pleased to see you." The Commandant said. "Two days ago the Germans dropped another message about you and I can present it now."

"Present it?"

The commandant called the officers together.

"The German fliers have decided that, because they have received several letters from injured German troops flown by Lady Agnes, that she should be awarded a different medal. Here it is -- The Iron Cross First Class."

He pinned it on her nurse's cape, next to her RFC wings, the Iron Cross Second Class, and the two sweetheart brooches.

"I don't know what to say, Commandant."

"Neither do I. Awarding you, not just one, but two German medals is almost as unprecedented as you being an RFC officer. But you won't get any British medals, unfortunately, except the general service ones. The higher powers think you are too much of an exception already. But I am sure that you know that I, and all my officers, agree with the Germans."

oggbashan
oggbashan
1,526 Followers
12