All Comments on 'Last Man'

by MichaelFitzgerald

Sort by:
  • 70 Comments
MusicGuy4FunMusicGuy4Funover 5 years ago
Charming

This kind of arrangement used to happen a fair bit.

PowersworderPowersworderover 5 years ago

A touching, really well-written story. Ellie was an absolute angel... to do that for her husband when dealing with her grief about her infertility. I guess part of her pain was guilt that she wouldn't be able to give her husband the children they both desperately wanted. They were very lucky to have Mairi!

tennesseeredtennesseeredover 5 years ago
Good writing

Powerful prose, compact and tight. Good story, well told.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 5 years ago
A very good story.

Powerful, painful, and loving. It was a great change from what is usually here.

johnadpjohnadpover 5 years ago
Great Story

Very touching. People need to adaptable to be successful. Ellie adapted. Other words that come to mind in this story are generosity and kindness (in this case by three women).

I wonder if the commenters would have been as kind to this story if he had been the one to have the fertility problem and Ellie had been the one to go up to the room with "Jessie" in her desperation to conceive?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
5 stars

Well done, very moving.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Great story

I appreciate your dedication and I loved your introduction. This was an excellent story, with a good historical background. I have the last son in my Scots line and now pass the pressure to him, so I can put myself in Simon's place. I liked his sense of history and tradition and his dedication to this tradition. He was true to Ellie even when drunk when he finds he can't cheat with Jessie. The use of Mairi, Ellie's sister as a surrogate mother is nicely explained. True love and understanding from a loving wife. Just a very well told story a little different from the usual LW fare. You get better with every story, so keep writing and growing. Tha MacGriogair a 'guidhe gu math leat.

CaOldDogCaOldDogover 5 years ago
Wow - what an emotional 5* story

Fantastic story about people living in difficult times and doing the best that they can.

patilliepatillieover 5 years ago
Hmm, a bit conflicted on this one

Not in favor of suicide, no matter the reason, good or bad.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
Torn

I'm somewhat torn by this. While I'm certainly touched by he unselfishness of all (though nothing was said explicitly about Mairi's husband, I assume he was i on the group decision?), I wonder why they could use in vitro with Ellie's eggs, and use Mairi as a surrogate, instead of having sex with his sister-in-law?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Although this is in the extreme, .....

Too many traditions that truly made us honorable humans have been cast aside to our detriment. Thanks for this well written story.

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 5 years ago
Emotionally complex and nuanced story.

What a sweet and tender testament to devotion and duty. Thank you

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 5 years ago
Highlands Argot Stars in Story Whose Flavor Veers Between Saccharine & Cock-a-Leekie Soup 🍲 For the Soul

" There's nothing so impressive as a Scotsman on the make " .

Props go to MichaelFitzgerald for colorful (Glasgow ? )dialect that embroidered to fine effect the clipped story that was a quart low on character development, dialogue and dramatic tension . I liked the journey taken by narrator but was hoping the heirloom dagger could have been employed to facilitate the quest .

Bottom Line(s) : Checkov's Gun for authors would seem to apply here. This was a decent read that missed clearcut chance to explore dynamic heritage in favor of furthering it to next generation. . Maybe next time . Credit to author who employed unique voice but didn't fully explore it this time out. The stilleto legacy was stifled and stilted for fans of ' The Kilted '

" Tis true guid gear comes in sma' bulk but eres nae rush to tell true an bonnie lifestory o haud yer wheesht . After a yer a long time deid for tomorrow never knows.

Rw43Rw43over 5 years ago
In the wee bit if dialogue

We readers could feel and hear the rich brogue.

Sorry i don't know the tongue. Appreciated the moving tale.

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
HOPEFULLY THEY WILL ALL ARRIVE AT THE SAME LOCATION

but in their religion, suicide is a major sin, TK U MLJ LV NV

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 5 years ago
Hmmm...

Sad, heartwarming, interesting tale of fulfilling one's destiny, no matter how. Works very well in fiction.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Now that is what I call a story

Well done, a nice change of pace.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

To the anon claiming this one didn't belong in Loving Wives, Mairi cheated on her husband to bear another man's child. At least as far as we know.

shaman43shaman43over 5 years ago
Ahh

Just thank you for a story of human emotion and sacrifice. Loved it.

MichaelFitzgeraldMichaelFitzgeraldover 5 years agoAuthor
Thanks for taking the time to comment .. Very much appreciated!

Nothing means more to a writer than an honest comment about their story. So thanks to you all.

And this:

@MusicGuy4Fun: That did not occur to me when I was writing the story but of course you are right. I like to believe that if love can’t find a way, it makes one.

@Powersworder, tennesseered, Just_Words, CaOldDog, sbrooks103x, johntcooksey, LordSlamdawgg: I’m touched that you liked the story. When I wrote that tears were shed writing this story (especially of Lord Lovat’s visit), I was merely reporting.

Johnadp: Great question. I’m going to put your suggestion on my list for new story ideas. But you already know what I think of the trolls.

@26thNC: Full Disclosure. I heard from 26thNC for the first time in his comment to Merry Christmas, Baby. This story arises in part from our mutual love of kilts, pipes and things Scottish. We are both fathers of the end of the line, prodding our sons to get the job done so we can move on. Tha mi a toirt taking dhut.

@patillie and tazz317: I believe in a kinder God than does Rome. I figure it this way. The very act of believing in God is a leap. Why go to all the trouble of belief if you pick one that's a judgmental prick?

@multi-anonymous (5 stars), (WOW WOW WOW) and (call a story): Thank you for your kind reviews. Consider joining Literotica so we can stay in touch.

Best wishes.

Michael

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
"Torn" Corrections

I had several typos in my comment, at least one VERY significant!

I'm somewhat torn by this. While I'm certainly touched by the unselfishness of all (though nothing was said explicitly about Mairi's husband, I assume he was in on the group decision?), I wonder why they COULDN'T use in vitro with Ellie's eggs, and use Mairi as a surrogate, instead of him having sex with his sister-in-law?

MichaelFitzgeraldMichaelFitzgeraldover 5 years agoAuthor
Why not in vitro?

Thanks, sbrooks103x, for clarifying your comment. The events of Simon's and Ellie's crisis happen roughly in the time frame of 1967 to 1972. In 1965, scientists at John Hopkins were experimenting as to how IVF might be done. BY 1971, IVF was a brand new technique. I assumed as a matter of dramatic license that it would not work for Ellie. Moreover, Simon didn't allow time for that. He heard the bad news and fell apart. Ellie and Mairi were there to rescue him as much as get Mairi pregnant. Sex with Mairi accomplished both. Your question raised a valid plot point and thanks for that.

Best wishes.

bruce22bruce22over 5 years ago
Beautiful Tale

If reminds me that in many places the brother or sister stands in for the infertile one after a certain number of years. The story of Sarah and Abraham was almost repeated here.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
A decent effort with an emotional and challenging plot.

But I don't get the suicide. An aged father and grandfather have so much to offer his family, why cut that short? He believes he will be with his wife in eternity, so what's a few years waiting while he lives his remaining life with their family? What kind of spouse would want their partner to take their own life? Kind of ruined the whole story, making their acts of compassion and generosity become acts of selfishness and very short sighted.

Anyway, thanks for the effort.

GeorgeAndersonGeorgeAndersonover 5 years ago
Oversight?

Interesting and well written short story, but...

"Some were not happy with it and a few had their say..." Was one of them Mairi's husband? He's the one who makes the real sacrifice here (Ellie gets children she couldn't otherwise have), but he gets no recognition, not even a name. He's even left out of the picture of eternal love at the end. Oversight, or did he do something really terrible to deserve this?

Thanks for writing and posting; I'm enjoying your work.

GA

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

Very interesting tale. Well told.

The thing that baffles me is Jessica's relationship in the story. She appears to be just part of the 'cheaters crowd' looking for somebody to hook up with. Yet, her actions and concern for Simon also could imply that she is somehow in cahoots with Ellie in choosing Simon for her partner for the night. This latter scenario seems unlikely to me. So, is she supposed to be Simon's guardian angel instead? Rather than run for the hills when the random guy she chooses for the night is having a mental/emotional meltdown, she is all pity and compassion for him, hears his tale of woe and calls his wife, Ellie, to let her know what is happening. The rest, as they say, is history.

Ellie, for her part, doesn't treat Jessica as some cheap harlot who just happens to select her husband for the night, but rather treats her as a savior and befriends her and brings her into her circle of family and friends.

I'm also curious if there was any fallout for Simon after the fact. After all, he was cheating on his marriage and looking to impregnate another woman.

gmann57gmann57about 5 years ago

I felt the same way when my wife died. I was ready to be with her. But God frowns upon taking your own life. Since My change of heart and fear of Gods wrath. I have been brought back from the brink 2 times. Once in a bicycle accident, Then recently a 35 foot fall off 2 roofs , a deck handrail then down a steep hill. Im still here, a little beat up and a new will to live. Life is good, God is great. A very good story

oldpoet451oldpoet451about 5 years ago
To: Anonymous 03/03/19 Very interesting tale. Well told.

To really understand, you have to understand what it means to be the last of a line and a follower of the Old Ways. I was the Last Man of my linage until my son was born, and now I have grandsons. My line will go on!

jtwheelsjtwheelsalmost 5 years ago
Adoption

Don't agree with solution

Can't play God

We were looking at adoption when finally she got pregnant

Other family members and friends adopted when couldn't get pregnant

Don't understand ego trip that says your name is more important than fidelity

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
It was the blood line not just the name.

It was about passing on the DNA not just the name on the male side. Adoption was not a way to do that. They chose the best option they had to keep it in the family.

johsunjohsunabout 4 years ago

A real tear jerker.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 4 years ago

As has been said, where is Mairi's husband in all this? She has two children. Is she divorced? A single mom, or, as George Anderson wrote, a (formerly) happily married woman.

Things were written about IVF and how it was fairly new, but what about Artificial Insemination? As for the time critical nature, as GA said, what if it wasn't even Mairi's fertile time?

Finally, where was Mairi at the end? Even if we assume, contrary to GA's version, that all was peachy keen, wouldn't the birth mother, even if she had already passed, be worthy of a mention?

Hooked1957Hooked1957about 4 years ago
Well done

Well-written and emotional.

Thanks for sharing.

Hooked

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 4 years ago
Powerful!

Mairi's marital status has nothing to do with the story and therefore unimportant. The story told of a conference call where all were allowed to voice an opinion on what Mairi and Ellie had planned. There were doubters, but absolute "no's". I wish people would read the story. I loved the story. The writing made it so much more powerful.

A 5 Star Rating.

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 4 years ago
Why?

For an author sbrooks103X is sure critical of other authors writing. He always seems to nitpick stories. I've read his stuff (he is one of my favorites) and he isn't always correct so where does he get off?

WillieWolfeWillieWolfeabout 4 years ago
Read them backwards

Just read George Andersons story first. This story says Mairi has two children but does not mention a husband. To many gaps to give it a five.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 4 years ago

@tkh3nkey2110 - I don't see what my status as an author has anything to do with it. When I read a story, I'm a reader, and I criticize thins that don't work for me.

I don't see how you can say that her marital status is unimportant. If, as we see in George Anderson's companion piece, she is, it's HUGE!

KRD19254KRD19254about 4 years ago

4.4 *, since it was difficult to follow the 'time-line' within this story; I figured it out but it could have been made much easier with a few breaks/time notations. But a very powerful message of what is not cheating. One miss was Mairi's husband's consent?!? And since the whole clan was in on it how did all their children react or was it kept secret?

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper6989almost 4 years ago
Confusing

I gather this is about him being the last male in his named family. I did think the route taken was long a winding and create a bit of head scratching.

WillowghbyWillowghbyover 3 years ago
Pretty Funny

First, many of the commenters clearly have no reading comprehension and apparently couldn't follow a timeline without a roadmap. Second, who cares where Mairi's husband is? FHSake, it's a one page story! Clearly, he wouldn't add to the author's plot.

MichaelF, thank you for a fine short story. Well written and easy to read.

Keep 'em comin'.

ErotFanErotFanover 3 years ago
You are adept in establishing the characters in your stories.

Even though I find the endings to your first three tales, as submitted, difficult to accept after their marvelous intros. But hey! Suspension of disbelief and all that.

Still 5* worthy.

MarkT63MarkT63over 3 years ago

Its still cheating; even with wifes blessing.

someoneothersomeoneotherover 3 years ago

This story sucks because it fails to address at all Mairi's husband. Thankfully, GeorgeAnderson posted LAST MAN: BRIAN'S TALE as a sequel to this story, and that GA story is far better and far more complete than this crap.

The story is also missing entirely how or why Jessica got involved, and then joined Simon's harem.

Just too many loose ends and unbelievability for the story to have any value.

The story is useful only as a starting point for GA's much better story.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 3 years ago

I've been looking at this again, saw this: "She was not a viable candidate for in vitro fertilization." So, ELLIE wasn't a viable candidate for in vitro, but in vitro WAS an option, and even if it wasn't artificial insemination was.

/

@someoneother, you asked how Jessica got involved. Simon picked her up in a bar, and was going to have sex with her until he told her his story.

SwordWielderSwordWielderover 3 years ago

Good story, until I read GA's original https://www.literotica.com/beta/s/last-man-brians-tale. You didn't mention anything about Mairi being married and her husband's take on this. Sorry, but if you go by what happened in this first story Simon deserves to be buried in a nameless pauper's grave - preferably with his genitals cutoff.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 3 years ago
@SwordWielder

SwordWielder ... Check the dates of publication of those two stories. I will grant that GeoAnd started the FebSux craziness, but not the three-story Last Scot series posted to date!

I gave it 5* when I first read this original, and am still of that opinion on this reading.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago
Reading again

I wanted to read this again before reading the two sequels, and I stand by my original comment. This was a great story and I can’t see how it can be improved on. As with GA’s Feb Sucks, it’s just different takes on a given situation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Story could do with expanding..........

The decision to have Mairi carry Simons baby seemed to happen a bit quick, Simon is unsuccessful at cheating, the girl rings his wife, next morning Mairi is there ready to go.

Lots of comments about Mairi's husband, none mentioned and there might not be one.

Mairi has 2 kids going by the story which makes her able, BUT she could be a widow, divorced or even an unmarried mother, not as common when this mating seems to be set, early 60's, but it did happen.

Maybe in hindsight a bit of expansion of the story could have stopped some negative reactions.

timrivtimrivalmost 3 years ago

Ooookaaay? Why didn’t they harvest her eggs, use his sperm to fertilize them and implant them in a surrogate?

traddisagaintraddisagainalmost 3 years ago

So sad, why can't we have something joyful to read, happy people enjoying each other without all the misery that we know life can and does bring. I,m sorry your story is not entertaining which is why most of us read stories on Literotica. Thank you for writing but not this time , only a 1.

iameaseliameaselover 2 years ago

I generally laugh at these type of stories.

The premise is miserably thin and its never really fleshed out well. That said this was the best of them, but that is a low bar.

racfguyracfguyover 2 years ago
Simon MacTavish

First class asshole.

tralan69ertralan69erover 2 years ago

@tkh3nkey2110,

Why?

brooks is a nitpicker for sure, he also thinks that everyone should write to his satisfaction. It is too hard for him to realize that he didn't write the story.

Cracker270Cracker270over 2 years ago

Good story, well written. I have a dagger given to me by a man now gone. I cherish it along with my memories of him. I fucking hate ALS.

CaptFlintCaptFlintabout 2 years ago

Second reading. What a beautiful, well written, engaging story. History, traditions, family, and true loving wives. Thank you.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesabout 2 years ago

Interesting story. A tear jerker of sorts. Thanks for writing.

DeanofMeanDeanofMeanalmost 2 years ago

not at all what i expected also so much more well writtin and thought out some historical stuff i am not sure of but damm it brought tears and smiles to my heart and face thank you

TechumsahTechumsahalmost 2 years ago

Lets be honest family lineage is a joke at best unless you have money. Our family has titles and such and I always found it funny growing up when my dad would tell me "don't put stock in your self worth based on trinkets and shit made up hundreds of years ago." The story is well written, but off some....by the way who got the pleasure of telling the sisters husband he was getting fucked over?

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 1 year ago

Fuck! I don't know whether to love it or hate it. Damn powerful but so wrong.

WolfOfTheWorldWolfOfTheWorldover 1 year ago

Great story. The passing on of the knife was well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Taking no action when you are aware of a planned suicide makes the inactive subject an accomplice to murder. Hope the son enjoys his new title and its associated difficulties. What a sick ass family.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I just hope the sister was a widow, divorced from a cheating husband or some such, if such s the case it's O.K., if she was still married to a husband she says she loves and who loves and is faithful to her then it's not good.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x11 months ago

"We'll wait together for Mairi and Jessie to join us and, together forever, the four of us will share our love. - So fuck Mairi's husband, or ex-husband?

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

So McTavish was born in 1936 and everyone was consulted on mobile phones before the first deed - so nonsense. When were IVF techniques available from?

If Ellie had "children" the dirty deed was done more than once.

Others have covered the story rom the view of Mairi's husband much better than this nonsense.

Karl_HundassonKarl_Hundassonabout 2 months ago

Forget the sycophancy for the clan chief. The bravest man on D-Day was his piper.

Bill Millin, the piper who played for Lord Lovat's commandos on D-Day, survived World War II. After the war, he lived until 2010, dying at 88.

Millin's courageous actions on D-Day and his contribution to boosting morale among the troops became legendary, and he remained a celebrated figure for his bravery throughout his life.

Just imagine stepping off a landing craft playing a really noisy musical instrument and knowing you would immediately attract all the attention of the enemy machine guns.

Balls of steel, a real Highlander.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Not bad. Well written. Four stars.

JPB NOT BOB

MichaelFitzgeraldMichaelFitzgeraldabout 2 months agoAuthor

Lovat made a request to Bill to become his own piper. The London’s War Office forbade any piper to play their music in battle but Lovat wanted the pipes to head the charge in “the greatest invasion in history.” As Lovat and Bill waded onto Sword Beach, Lovat said, “Give us a tune, piper.” Bill started to play “Hielan’ Laddie.”

Lovat then requested ‘The Road to the Isles’. Bill responded by asking whether he should do the walk of the pipers to which Lovat said” “Oh yes that would be lovely.”

Bill piper by the edge of the water, back and forth, three times. He could feel the sand quiver from the mortars, surrounded by fallen comrades. He played the remainder of that day. Bill later talked to Germans who were captured, and these soldiers claimed not to have shot at Bill as they thought he was crazy.

The final song he played on his D-Day pipes was ‘The Nut-Brown Maiden’ for a red-headed French girl who was with her family and asked him to play. Years later, a smartly dressed woman with red hair approached him and kissed him on the cheek, the girl he’d played for on D-Day.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous