Last Man - Brian Said No!

Story Info
An alternative take on George Anderson's story.
5k words
4.06
47.1k
58
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

by SBrooks103x

George Anderson wrote a companion piece to Michael Fitzgerald's Last Man, https://www.literotica.com/s/last-man-1, Last Man: Brian's Tale, https://www.literotica.com/beta/s/last-man-Brians-tale. I have a bit of a different take on Michael's story, which I am presenting with their permission.

While Michael told the story from Simon's point of view, not even giving the other husband a name, George wrote from the other husband's point of view, naming him Brian. I followed George's template, but as in the Frost poem, I took the road not taken.

I've included key passages from George's story, with his permission, to provide background for those who haven't read or have forgotten George's story. These are in sequence, but out of context; if you need the context, please read George's story.

Thanks once again to my Sweet Inspiration blackrandl1958 for her kind advice and editing.

From George's story:

Simon MacTavish was a big, strong, outgoing, good-looking, obnoxious son of a bitch. He was good at fighting, I hear. From him, anyway. And his loyalty to his clan was second to none. Whether or not either of those is a virtue, you can decide for yourself.

I had been a big, strong, obnoxious kid in my day, too, and when they let me out of high school, I thought I knew everything I'd ever need to know. That's true of most 18-year-olds, but most of my peers had parents to help them come to a different conclusion. I didn't. So I looked at the money it would cost me to get a college degree, and the money I could make working construction, and the money the aunt and uncle who raised me didn't have, and then I started at the bottom of the construction business. Literally. I did basements. I did them well, too, and rose fairly quickly the first couple of years. Then it all fell in on me. Literally. I never figured out what actually happened, but by the time I could tell which way was up, I was strapped flat on my back, all wrapped up in plaster and stuff, with tubes sticking out of me every which way, and was being informed that my left leg and left arm would never work right again. My career in construction, or anything else that required physical labor, was history.

We'd been married about five years, Ben was almost three and Gillian was an infant, when I finally met Mairi's younger sister, Eileen, or Ellie as she preferred. I'd heard about her, of course, but meeting her was something else. Ellie's hair was dark to Mairi's fiery red; her eyes brown to Mairi's blue; she was sweet to Mairi's spicy, but they were devoted to each other, all the more for the years they'd been apart. When Ellie came home from one of her sight-seeing tours, she brought back this loud, obnoxious hairy Scotsman, as if he were some kind of souvenir she'd picked up. He wasted no time making himself at home, drinking my beer, roughhousing with my kids, and worst of all, ogling my wife. He would slap me on the shoulder as if we were best buds, but somehow he always got the angle just right to throw all my weight on my bad left leg. A time or two when I lost my balance, Mairi had to help me up. She gave him a piece of her mind, but all he did was grin at her like he was oh so proud of himself.

I don't know if Mairi or maybe Ellie had a chat with him or maybe he just grew up a little, but he seemed to tone it down after that. Still, I was not a happy camper when Simon got transferred and he and Ellie bought a place about fifteen minutes away from us. It seemed like we were together all the time, usually at our place because of the kids, but to my surprise, he behaved himself mostly. We were never going to be best buds, and I still didn't like the way he looked at Mairi, but I was getting to where I could actually enjoy his company in small doses.

Traffic was as brutal as I'd expected. I was about an hour and a half from home when Mairi called. Usually I didn't pick up the phone when I was driving, especially on I-95, but she'd given our emergency signal: two rings, hang up for 5 seconds, and call again. I picked her up on the hands free and asked what was wrong. I was surprised to hear a whole bunch of other people on the line.

It seems Ellie had gotten a call that morning from someone called Jessica. Simon had picked her up in a bar the night before and she spent the night with him, but she promised they hadn't fucked. Typical Simon, I thought. He couldn't get home to his wife, but he could go to a bar and pick up some bimbo. Anyway, he'd told her all about how he was the last of the MacTavishes and was honor bound to produce a son, and now he'd found out Ellie couldn't have children, and whatever was he going to do. Mairi had set up this conference call to announce to the family that she wanted to have his kids.

Here is where I part ways with George.

What the everlasting fuck‽

"NO!" I shouted into the phone.

"What was that? Who said that?" Mairi asked.

"It is me, your husband," I yelled back. "Remember me? There is no way that I'm agreeing to this, certainly not on a conference call with the entire world. You get your ass home, right now, and when I get there, we will have a PRIVATE discussion about this idiotic idea."

"B . . . But I promised . . ."

"I seem to recall a certain promise you made to me on our wedding day," I interrupted. "Just get your ass home ASAP." I hung up and ignored her repeated attempts to call me back. I could only hope that she would do as I said.

I got home just in time to pick up the kids, then went home to wait for Mairi. Fortunately, I didn't have to wait long as she burst through the front door before I even finished my first beer.

Her face was flushed, but fortunately she didn't have that "fresh fucked" look.

"Just what the fuck were you thinking, or were you thinking?"

"I was thinking that we could help my sister and her husband have a family. I called you to make sure it was all right with you."

"Wait right there," I said. "You mean that YOU would help them. I had no part in this.

You didn't call me, you called the whole damn family, and you didn't ask me, you told me."

"I was sure that you would agree once we had a chance to talk about it . . ."

"But not sure enough to actually wait for us to talk, though, did you?"

She had the decency to look down.

"Why do you have to fuck him? Why not use artificial insemination?"

"That's so cold and impersonal."

"That's the whole point! To keep it free from emotional entanglements. It's obvious that he lusts after you, I can't believe that you and Ellie can't see it."

"You're wrong! Sure, he loves me, but just as a sister-in-law."

"Give me a break. I've seen the way he looks at you, and the way you look at him."

That sent a shock through her.

"I know I'm not much of a physical specimen, it would only be natural for you to want to experience a "real man"."

"Don't say that. You're all the man that I could ever want."

"Yeah, that's why you couldn't even wait to make sure our children were taken care of before rushing to his bed. By the way, what was the rush anyway? The whole reason was so that he could get you pregnant, right?"

She nodded her head.

"Then you should be in your fertile period, and off birth control, right?"

She looked puzzled, then said, "Oh, shit."

Oh shit, indeed. It had been at most three days since she took her birth control pill, so it's probably still in her system, and her period was last week, so she wasn't fertile.

"So I guess it's a good thing I stopped you, so you wouldn't have cheated for nothing."

"It wouldn't have been cheating! I told you, so it's not cheating."

I had to laugh.

"Telling me is not the same as getting my permission, which I haven't given, and don't intend to give you."

"But you have to! What will I tell Ellie and Simon?"

"I couldn't care less what you tell Simon, just tell Ellie that if you fuck Simon, I'll divorce you, and you don't want to lose me. Ellie loves you; she wouldn't want to jeopardize your marriage."

"What will they do?"

"They'll do what other childless couples do, adopt."

"But then the child won't be of Simon's line."

"And there's the rub. This has nothing to do with them having a family, but Simon's need to continue his line. It's all about Simon."

"No, no, it's for Ellie, too! She's devastated that she can't give Simon a son."

"That's another thing. What if the baby isn't a son? Will we have to go through this again?"

Mairi was chewing on her lip, we both knew the answer to that.

"And what will I be doing during this time?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I obviously can't fuck you, can't take the chance that the baby's not his, can we?"

"You could always use a condom . . ."

"Oh, no, I'm not going to use a condom to fuck my own wife. Maybe while you're fucking Simon, I can fuck Ellie."

Her face went white.

"No, you can't!"

"Why not? He's fucking my wife. Fair's fair."

"It's different. Simon and I will be making love to make a baby. You and Ellie would just be, just be . . ."

"The truth comes out. You and Simon would be "making love," just the sort of emotional entanglement that I was worried about. I told you he's in love with you, and I'm not sure that the feeling isn't mutual."

"No, you're wrong, I love only you."

"Well, I have a test for you. I'll agree to this, under one condition."

She looked hopeful, but concerned.

"What's the condition?"

"That you use artificial insemination."

"Brian, you know I hate needles."

"There are no needles necessary. Simon jerks off into a cup, and his semen is put into your cervix. In popular terminology, the turkey baster method."

"That seems so cold and impersonal."

"Again, that's the point. You're doing this to get pregnant right? Not to have a sexual relationship. This is our brother-in-law. Do you have any idea how awkward family gatherings would be for me, sitting there with the man who fucked my wife? Simon already treats me with disrespect, I can just see the smirks letting me know that he's had my wife."

"But, he wouldn't have "had" me. Not in that way."

"You may see it like that, maybe you even believe it, but I don't, and I guarantee that he won't.

"Let's try a little test. Tell them that you'll do it, but only by artificial insemination. I'd hazard a guess that if he has to jerk off into a cup instead of fucking . . . excuse me, instead of "making love" to you, his interest will at least drop a couple of notches, if not go away completely."

Mairi seemed uncertain. If I wanted to put things in the most positive light, I'd say that she was worried about how Ellie and Simon would take my condition. A more negative view would be that she was looking forward to a roll in the hay with Simon, and didn't want to miss out.

"Okay," she said, "I'll talk to them."

"No," I said, "WE'LL talk to them, I don't want there to be any misunderstandings."

Mairi nodded, and picked up her phone.

"Hi, Sis," she said when Ellie answered, "I have bad news, good news, medium news."

She paused while Ellie was probably asking her what she meant.

"Well, the bad news is that this isn't my fertile time, Simon most likely wouldn't get me pregnant. The good news is that Brian has agreed to let me get pregnant with Simon's child . . ."

I could hear Ellie's squeals from across the room.

"Wait, you didn't let me finish. He won't agree to let Simon, make . . ." she glanced over at me. "He won't let Simon fuck me; he insists that we do it by artificial insemination."

Ellie must have had her phone on speaker because I could hear Simon bellowing,

"No way, no fucking way am I jerking off into some damn cup."

I just smiled at Mairi who couldn't meet my gaze.

"I'm sorry, but Brian insists. Why don't you guys come over for dinner tomorrow night, and we can all discuss it face-to-face."

I could still hear Simon ranting, but Ellie must have agreed, because Mairi said,

"Okay, see you then," and disconnected the call.

She looked at me sadly, and I had to twist the knife just a bit.

"I guess we heard what Simon thinks about the idea of not getting to fuck you."

Her eyes filled with tears as she ran from the room. Call me cold-hearted, but I didn't go after her.

One of the good things about Mairi, but also one of her flaws, is that she always sees the best in people, but people aren't always at their best. I had no doubt that Simon was sincere in his desire to continue his bloodline, but I also had no doubt that the chance to bed my wife was a much-desired bonus. We'd never been close, and while fucking my wife would be a pleasure in and of itself, I was sure that the chance to fuck me over just made it so much sweeter for him. I expected a very interesting evening.

We kept the dinner simple, just pasta and salad. I wasn't sure what our appetites would be like, and I didn't want any expensive food going to waste. We also decided on no alcohol, for obvious reasons.

The kids were at the grandparents, the table was set, and Simon and Ellie arrived right on time. Simon did not look happy, and I made sure to keep my distance. The last thing we needed was an "accidental" bump.

Ellie and Mairi both looked nervous, and I tried to keep a resolute look on my face.

Dinner was quiet; nobody seemed to want to say anything, afraid to say the wrong thing. Every time I looked at Simon, he hit me with a glare that at any other time would have crushed my spine, but now just stiffened it.

We all just stared at each other for what felt like forever, and when it became obvious that nobody else was going to speak, I stepped up to the plate.

"Okay, I'm aware that Ellie can't bear children, and Simon wants a son to carry on his line. I can sympathize with that desire in general, and that Simon has some heavy tradition coming to bear, as well.

"Where my sympathy weakens is when you want to involve my wife, especially where the scheme was hatched without my input . . ."

"Brian, Honey, I don't think you're being fair, calling it a scheme," Mairi broke in.

"No? What would you call it when three people make plans behind the back of a person married to one of them, especially when it would have a serious impact on his intimate relationship with his wife?"

"Brian, this doesn't need to affect our relationship."

"Are you serious? Tell me, while you're trying to get pregnant by Simon, can I make love to you?"

"No, but . . ."

"Once you're pregnant, as the pregnancy advances, do you think that might impact your quality of life, as well as the rest of the family? I'll need to take on a bigger share of the household duties, our children will be getting less of your attention.

"Let's back up a bit. Why does it have to be Mairi? There are professional surrogates,who would have the advantage of using one of Ellie's eggs. I'm assuming you want to use Mairi because of the genetic connection to Ellie. IVF with Ellie's egg and a surrogate would be an even closer genetic connection, and would keep Mairi out of it."

I was faced with blank looks. My solution was eminently practical; they couldn't have any logical objections, the question was, would they admit to the real reason for their plan? I also wondered how Ellie fit into this; could she really accept Simon fucking Mairi when there were other emotionally safer options?

Simon just sat there, looking decidedly unhappy, with the classic arms-crossed defiant posture, while Mairi and Ellie just looked nervous.

"Let me start with one non-negotiable position. If Simon fucks Mairi, I get to fuck Ellie. . . "

There was an immediate angry reaction. Simon had to be held back in his seat by Mairi and Ellie, each holding an arm.

"Okay, nobody is fucking," I said, only to be met with an angry glare from Simon.

"What's the matter, Simon? Were you looking forward to fucking Mairi that much?"

All I got in response was an angry scowl, but Ellie seemed to be coming to somewhat of an understanding. Maybe she wasn't quite all in on this scheme; maybe Simon and Mairi had misled her also?

Mairi, on the other hand, was shifting uncomfortably in her seat. That saddened me; while I had meant what I said about the way she sometimes looked at Simon, I hadn't really thought that there was anything serious there. Now, I wasn't so sure.

After more back-and-forth, it was agreed that Mairi would get pregnant via artificial insemination. To avoid any possible mistakes, I wouldn't be able to have sex with Mairi until her pregnancy was confirmed, not even during her infertile periods. In exchange I had a solemn promise of frequent oral sex. I reluctantly reciprocated. Even though Simon never actually came in Mairi, your mind can play tricks on you, and I still felt like I was eating Simon's cream pies.

For the next few months, Mairi carefully monitored her fertile periods, then went to the clinic to have Simon's sperm deposited in her. The first two months, it didn't take, but on the third month we had a positive pregnancy test. Thank God! Just a few more months and this ordeal would be over.

Just as I was beginning to think we might survive this crisis; I got a nervous call from Ellie.

"Brian, could you meet me for coffee?"

"Sure. I'll be right over."

"No, not here. At the Mary Lou's in the center of town."

"Okay, I can be there in ten minutes."

That was mysterious. Why wouldn't she want to meet at one of our houses?

Ellie was already there, twisting her handkerchief nervously.

Seeing that she didn't have any coffee, I got some for both of us, and joined her at her table.

"Okay, Ellie, something is obviously bothering you. These things rarely get better

with age, so why don't you just tell me what it is."

She gave a big sigh and began.

"You know that we agreed to pick up the costs for everything."

"Yes, you said that it was the least that you could do."

"Well, the first two months I got the bill from the fertility clinic for both the sperm collection and the insemination."

I was already getting a bad feeling about this.

"I didn't receive a bill for the third month. At first, I thought it was just a delay in their system, but when I still hadn't received it by the time the fourth bill would have been coming, if there had been one, I called them. You can probably figure out what they told me."

"They never went for the third procedure, and since Mairi is pregnant . . ."

The obvious answer hung in the air.

"It looks like you were right all along, Brian, and I was too much of a fool to see it. My own sister! I don't even know if she ever really wanted to help Simon have a son, or if it was just an excuse to have sex with him, or if it even matters at this point."

We just stared into our coffee cups, taking the occasional sip until the coffee grew cold.

Ellie was the first to stand up, and I quickly rose to match her. There really wasn't anything more to be said, so we had a chaste hug and headed out to our respective homes and uncertain futures.

Mairi was glowing as she came in the door. She apparently hadn't noticed my car outside because she was surprised to find me sitting in semi-darkness sipping on my Sam Adams Light.

"Brian, what are you doing home?"

"I've been talking to Ellie." She seemed a little taken aback, but she recovered quickly.

"That's not that unusual, but what does that have to do with you being home early?" she asked, with just a touch of nervousness.

"I know, Mairi," I said.

"You know? You know what?" The catch in her voice was obvious.

"Please don't treat me like I'm a fool, though I guess you have good reason to, since you and Simon have been fooling Ellie and me for a while now."

Mairi collapsed into her chair, her face a sickly white.

"I . . . I don't know what you mean, Brian."

I sighed heavily.

12