Late Night Conversations

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Miranda handed me the dust pan and started sweeping up my hair. There was a lot more than usual on the floor. She still had the others to do, but we figured it would be easier if we cleaned up after each.

"So, I guess you're serious about cosmetology school?" My question was really just to fill the quiet while we worked.

"Yes, I am," Miranda admitted. "Truthfully, I've pretty much decided on it. It's weird really. Being away from my friends and their excitement about going away to school helped me realize that it wasn't something I really wanted." She took a moment to smile at me. "So did falling in love."

"This isn't because of me, is it?" I was honestly concerned. "I mean, I don't want to be the reason you don't go away to college if it's something you want."

"You're not, and it's not either." Miranda said it in a way that made me believe her. "Papa and mama have talked about it with me and even made me apply to some state schools, but they really can't afford it. Oh, I'm sure they'd find a way, but with four of us it doesn't seem fair to burden them when the only thing I want to do is cosmetology."

"If that's what you want." Part of me still wasn't convinced. "But remember, you can always change your mind later and go to college."

"Even after we have kids?" I knew Miranda was teasing me yet again, but I didn't let that side track me.

"Even after we have grandkids." Her face lit at the thought. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on the fact that mine was as well.

I stood from picking up the last of the hair with the dustpan. Mira took it from me and held it off to the side while she pressed her lips against mine.

"You're lucky we'd don't have time," Miranda said softly afterward. "Because if we did, I might just decide to seduce you once and for all."

"That's a little cruel," I joked. Well, mostly. My hands were resting on her hips lightly. Maybe even a little possessively, but she didn't seem to mind.

"What? Threatening to seduce you or doing it the day before your stupid promise to my father expires?"

"Both," I snorted, and then laughingly added, "Do promises really expire?"

"That ones does." My girlfriend's answer was succinct if nothing else. "You said papa made you promise to behave until he's home. Well, he's home tomorrow."

"What? Are you going to sneak into Gramsy's house and climb into my bed?"

"Don't tempt me. A girl can only take so much!" Miranda snapped, but then sighed and changed the subject. "You'd better go get my next victim before you go shopping. I'll checked the list of things we need one last time."

The list was everything and anything she thought might help make her mother more comfortable. I was betting I'd have to go to more than one store to get them all, but so be it. Whatever it took to make Miranda happy. That had pretty much been my motto since I first laid eyes on this visit. I had a feeling it wasn't going to change any time...period.

"They're with Gramsy. I'll go get them, but I need to talk to her for a couple of minutes. Don't tell them without me." Miranda was at the table already perusing the list as promised. I fully expected at least one additional thing by the time I got back.

"I'm not that brave."

"Sure, you are," I disagreed. "But you don't have to be. Not alone anyway. We'll be brave together."

"Promise?" Miranda knew exactly what she was doing by asking that question, and there was no way I was going to disappoint her by not giving her the answer she wanted.

"Forever and always."

"Forever and always," she repeated, looking deeply satisfied.

**********

"Are you sure this is okay?" Miranda had asked the same question at least a half dozen times.

"Child, of course it's okay," Gramsy replied patently. "Your parents are coming home today, but your mother is still far from fully recovered. She'll needs her rest."

"Plus, even though she's not supposed to be contagious any longer, the doctors still want her quarantined," I added, knowing Mira knew all this already, but saying it anyway because she needed to hear it. "Frankly, I think the only reason why they were willing to send her home at all is because they need the bed. Your father explained how bad it is at the hospital."

"Your mother will be very weak and we can't risk her catching something else." Gramsy and I were tag teaming Miranda, but only because it was necessary. My girlfriend was ecstatic to have her parents back, but she was also afraid. It made her a bit irrational. "My grandson and I can deal with your brothers and sister for a few days while you and your father settle her in."

Miranda knew it was a good idea to have her younger siblings sleep over Gramsy's with me for a few days and I told her that my grandmother had agreed as soon as I asked, but Mira felt guilty about it and was resisting. It didn't help that the kids weren't thrilled by the idea either. They wanted to be with their mother.

"Your parents will be here shortly. In the end, it's their decision anyway." I smiled and squeezed her shoulder, trying to lend her my strength. "Why don't you go see how the kids are doing on the 'Welcome Home' sign? I need to finish moving the furniture to make room for everyone, just in case."

Miranda smiled and nodded, but the former was forced. That didn't stop her from pressing her hand against mine and rested her cheek on both for a few seconds before leaving. I frowned as I watched her leave.

"Grandson, she'll be fine once her parents arrive and settle in."

"I know," I said slowly. "But I hate not being able to make her feel better."

"No one said love was easy."

"There is that," I snorted. My grandmother always knew how to help. Mostly, it was her blunt honesty that did it, but only because behind it was a deep-seated love.

"Oh, before I forget," Gramsy said, holding out a small bundle I hasn't noticed before. "I made these masks for you and the Ramos children last night after you said you couldn't find any at the stores. The bandanas you found would have worked fine, but this will be easier." We did have two masks, Miranda's and mine, but they had been washed a little too often and had seen better days.

"You sewed?" I knew how much my grandmother hated doing that.

"Yes, I sewed," Gamsy frowned. I couldn't tell if it was because she'd done it or because I had the audacity to ask. "It will better for the young ones."

"Thanks."

"It was easy enough." My grandmother quickly moved on and had me shift the furniture some more. She led the way to the next room when she was satisfied.

I was deep in thought about Gramsy and what she'd done for me over the years as we worked. I'd always known my grandmother was a special person, but it suddenly hit me that I'd never told her so.

"Thank you, Gramsy."

"For what?" She was lost in thought and frowning at where I'd put the dresser. I figured I'd be moving it again in a moment.

"For everything," I answered honestly. "For sewing the masks despite how much you hate doing that. For sharing your mother's recipes and teaching me how to cook. For allowing the Ramos kids to stay here. For not sending me home when I first arrived. I know you were tempted." Gramsy stopped looking at the furniture and looked at me.

"For agreeing to let me to live here even after this pandemic runs its course. For sharing your memories of grandfather and helping me accept just how important Miranda was to me. For not letting me lose the sense of family mom instilled in me. For being there for Lisa and me after mom died. For being my rock." I paused, not so much at a loss of words, but because there were so many running through my head that I could go on forever. "Like I said, thank you...for everything."

Gramsy remained frozen for a few seconds after I was done. I wasn't sure how she was going to react, but it needed to be said. I watched and waited. It didn't take her long to react.

"You're welcome." That was it. That's all she said at first as she made her way to the door, which was so Gramsy, but then she surprised me stopping and adding, "And David, I love you too." Gramsy disappeared out of the room, but I was too stunned to follow her.

You have to understand, one of my grandmother little idiosyncrasies was that she never told anyone she loved them. She showed us in so many big and little ways, but she never said the words. In fact, if I told my sister this, I was sure she wouldn't believe me. Only, I didn't think I would. This was a special moment between Gramsy and me. No one else needed to know. Oh, I'd probably tell Miranda, but that didn't really count. Miranda was...well, Miranda.

"Grandson, this chest isn't moving itself." My grandmother voice broke me from my thoughts.

Gramsy was back to her normal bossy, no-nonsense self. I tried hard not to laugh as I left the room, but failed miserably.

**********

The kids had overdone it with the sign. I liked the fact that it was so colorful, but some of it clashed. I guess that's what happens when you have three excited kids work on the same sign, not that I blamed them. There wasn't a poster obnoxious enough to show how I would have felt if my mother had come home from the hospital instead of dying there from cancer. I pushed that thought back because now wasn't the time to dwell on something like that.

"There they are!" Sophie cried excitedly. Of course, it was the fourth or fifth time she'd done it in the last twenty minutes. Thankfully, there weren't that many cars on the road or it would have been a lot worse because she pretty much did it every time one passed.

"Wait...that really is them!" Renzo voice was a little higher pitched than normal, but I decided not to tease him about it.

"Where?" Matteo asked. He was sitting on my shoulders and I was facing in the right direction, but I was betting he was too busy watching the neighbors across the street having a catch. He'd actually lasted longer than I expected. There's only so long a kid his age could stand waiting without getting distracted.

"There." Miranda used her free hand to point out the car for her little brother. Her other hand was wrapped around my bicep because I was using both of mine to hold on to Matteo's legs. She was squeezing tight despite how calm she sounded.

The same police officer and friend who had taken Mr. Ramos to the hospital was dropping him and his wife off. Only this time, he was out of uniform and driving a large SUV.

"Remember, your mother may look pale, tired and weak, but that's okay. She's getting better. The important part is to let her know how much you love her. You do that today with smiles, not tears. Got it?"

I didn't want to ruin their excitement, but by the same token, I didn't want them to add stress to their already overburdened mother with tears. The poor woman was a hero in the true sense of the word. She'd put her life on the line as a nurse every day despite knowing that it was dangerous. She'd worked double and sometimes even triple shifts because she was needed. Mrs. Ramos had been through enough. It was time for her to rest and recover with the people who loved her most.

"We understand," Renzo answered, suddenly looking older than his years.

Everyone was dressed warmly today because there was a chill in the air. We each had on the masks Gramsy made for us, even little Matteo. That had been a challenge and Miranda had already had to reach up and adjust it a handful of times.

Mr. Ramos and his friend got out of the car first. He smiled and waved at his children as they both moved to the back door. Miranda's father looked tired, but happy to be home. His eyes had a touch of that faraway look that people had when they'd seen too much. Coming home would probably do him almost as much good as his wife.

"Momma!" Sophie yelled when Mr. Ramos began helping his wife out of the car. His friend was wearing a mask and holding the door open. Sophie forgot all our warnings about keeping her distance and lunged forward, but Renzo grabbed hold of her before she could get too close.

Sophie fought until Miranda let go of my arm and joined them. My girlfriend stepped in front of her little sister and blocked her way, frowning down at Sophie. That snapped the preteen out of it and she stopped fighting. Mira nodded once in satisfaction and forced a smile on her lips. She waited until Sophie caught on and did the same before stepping around and behind the preteen.

Miranda draped her arms over her sister's shoulders. I think it helped Sophie stay calm, or at least calmer. It also allowed my girlfriend to grab hold if that became necessary again.

Renzo gave Sophie the other half of the sign and they both held it up for their mother to see. The moment Mrs. Romas saw it, she broke into a wide, if tired smile. Miranda's mother looked better than I feared, but that didn't mean she looked good.

Mrs. Romas was able to walk under her own power, if very slowly. Her husband was right beside her, ready to help as needed. They moved toward us until they were about six feet away. That's when Mr. Ramos stopped his wife. She clearly wasn't happy about it. There was an uncomfortable silence, but only for a moment.

"My Matteo, you certainly have grown!" Mrs. Ramos was looking up at her younger son who was still sitting on my shoulders. I'd had to hold tight more than once in the last couple of minutes as he danced in excitement, but now that his mother was talking to him, Matteo settled.

"I'm taller than you now!"

"So it seems," she agreed easily before turning to Sophie and Renzo. "That's a beautiful sign."

"We all made it, but I colored in the flowers because I know they're your favorite," Sophie beamed.

"They're beautiful, but nowhere near as pretty as you."

"Momma!" the preteen cried in exasperation, but she giggled happily right afterward.

"And you Lorenzo, you've grown as well! I think you may be taller than me too." The was a sadness in Mrs. Ramos expression that understandable. She'd clearly not only missed her children, but also missed out on some of the changes that happened so quickly with kids. "Have you been practicing your pitching?"

"Yes," he smiled slowly, happy to hear his mother show interest. "Davey is helping me. I've almost got the curve down and he's showing me some other pitches."

"I'm glad." Mrs. Ramos gave her oldest son a warm smile before shifting her eyes to me. "My husband tells me you've been taking care of our family for us."

"Not really," I smiled, feeling a bit nervous. "They're good kids and Miranda did all the heavy lifting. I just helped out a little."

"Smart answer," she laughed, but it quickly turned into a cough. I wasn't sure if the mask she was wearing helped or only made it worse.

"Let's get you inside," Mr. Ramos insisted, but his wife wouldn't be moved yet. We all stood their awkwardly, each concerned in our own way as she slowly got control of her coughing. She took a few seconds after that to catch her breath before speaking.

"Miranda, I can tell by just looking at you all, that you did well. You're a good daughter." Mrs. Ramos paused and shook her head. "You shouldn't have had to deal with all this. I'm sorry." She sighed and almost went into another coughing fit.

"Mercedes, please..." Mr. Ramos was clearly concerned.

"Cut it out," she snapped in reply. "You're scaring the kids. I'm fine. They wouldn't have let me out of the hospital if I wasn't." Normally, that would be true, but I wasn't so sure in this case because of how overcrowded the hospitals were. Of course, I didn't say that. Mrs. Ramos was doing what a mother should and comforting her children as best she could. "It's just going to take some time before I'm back to one hundred percent."

"Which reminds me," I interjected, not wanting the Ramos children to see their parents argue right now. Everyone was on edge. "Gramsy and I have already set up the house for the kids to stay with us for a few days while you settle in. She'd be out here now telling you this herself, but she thought it would be easier for you if just your children greeted you."

"Do we have to?" Sophie asked, clearly not thrilled with the idea. Mrs. Ramos waffled, but her husband had no such qualms.

"Yes," he interjected before his wife could gainsay him. "That's a good idea. Thanks David. Make sure you thank your grandmother too."

"Roberto..." Mrs. Ramos began, but he cut her off.

"Mercedes, you need more time to rest first." His tone was unbending, but I knew it was just because he was frightened. I had no idea how I'd deal with the same situation if it had been Miranda. "And David has been helping with the kids since I left."

"But Mrs. Stahl..." It was my turn to interrupt Miranda's mother. I couldn't help be on her husband's side in this. It might be a mistake because I really needed her to like me, but her safety came first.

"Is busy getting the ingredients ready to make homemade pasta," I interjected. That caught the Ramos children's interest.

"Gramsy is going to teach us to make pasta?" Sophie was clearly wavering.

I hid my smile as I added, "And fresh bread if we're lucky."

"Gramsy?" Mrs. Ramos asked with a frown.

"That's my fault," Miranda sighed. "Davey always calls his grandmother that and I guess I started to as well without realizing it. The rest of the kids picked up on it during the campout. I asked her and she said she didn't mind."

"Campout?" This was from Mr. Ramos.

"Yeah, we used the tent and sleeping bags and everything," Renzo explain, before grinning and adding, "It was a lot more fun without the rain."

"Or the bugs," Miranda interjected.

"I liked the smores!" Matteo cried excitedly.

"And the singing!" Sophie was giggling again. "I can't wait to sing you the Italian song Gramsy taught us."

"Well husband, it sounds like we missed a lot." This time Mrs. Ramos seemed less saddened and more relieved. I guess she'd been feeling guilty on top of everything else. "Once I'm better, we'll make smores again and sing. You can teach me the Italian song Mr. Stahl taught you and I'll teach you some Spanish songs I liked when I was a kid."

"What about sleeping under the stars?" her husband asked, offering his first real smile. His wife rolled her eyes, clearly not thrilled at the idea.

"Momma give it a chance," Miranda interjected. "I love it."

"That's because Davey named a constellation after you." Renzo was teasing his older sister which was something he really hadn't done all that much while his parents were away. "Princess Miranda." I guess it was his way of supporting her and helping out, but now that his parents were home, he's apparently decided to have some fun. "Or was it Process Mandy? I forget which."

"Miranda, just Miranda." I really wish he hadn't brought up the whole Mandy thing again.

"See what you did?" My girlfriend's outburst was not unexpected, but I was surprised it was directed at me. Well, not really surprised, but definitely disappointed.

"Did you really name a constellation after my daughter?" Mr. Ramos interjected, looking at me oddly.

"Well, I had to name it something," I shrugged, not really embarrassed despite his scrutiny. "You daughter loves to look at stars so it only seemed natural to name a constellation after her. I gave her a few options, and she chose."

"I did not choose!" Miranda snapped with more vigor than I thought it deserved. That's when I saw her glance at her mother out of the corner of her eyes. "All of the names were stupid!"

They say that sometimes couples can read each other's minds. I have no idea if that's true, but whatever the reason, I suddenly knew that my girlfriend was trying to make her mother smile and feel at home again. I had no choice but to go along with it.

"Really? I guess I could go back to calling it the physically attractive, non-ethnic, non-denominational female royal?" Apparently, we were succeeding because Miranda's mother couldn't contain her mirth. She laughed but only briefly to avoid falling into another coughing fit.