Leah's First Day

Story Info
A sequel to the Bridesmaid.
3.9k words
4.4
6k
6
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Leah's First Day

By

Inanimate77

Leah stood silently for a few minutes as the Uber driver sped away leaving her alone in front of the Davenport Estate. After her last experience, Leah had sworn that she would never return to this place. The entire episode felt rather bizarre, and quite honestly she still had a hard time believing it had happened. Somehow Leah had found herself mistaken for the help while attending her good friend Charlotte's bridal shower.

In hindsight, Leah should not have been so concerned about Lady Davenport. The young professional woman had really wanted to make a good impression on her friend's old money mother. Her plan to do so really never had a chance. Lady Davenport would never accept Leah because of her lineage. No matter how much education she attained or how much professional success she experienced, Leah would always be seen as lower class. It was simply the way of things.

The entire ordeal had almost ended in disaster, but being a true friend Leah acted the humble part of house servant in order to not cause her friend embarrassment. When Charlotte had found out, she was truly horrified. Charlotte and Leah had been roommates in college, and unlike her mother, the young heiress did not ascribe to her mother's views on social class. She was at school to find educational enlightenment with the hope of making a difference in the world. Despite being from very different backgrounds, the two girls had become close friends.

However, the last couple of months had really tested their friendship. Vivian Davenport had been so impressed by Leah's service at her daughter's bridal shower that she specifically asked for her service during the wedding. This put both young women in a really awkward position. After her ordeal, Leah vowed never to put herself in such a situation again. Lady Davenport, however, was not one to be trifled with. If Leah failed to show up or if Vivian discovered what had really happened, there was a genuine risk to all involved. While the company providing all the services for the wedding was likely to get a huge boost in business, with one simple word, Vivian could drive them out of business. For Leah, things could be even worse.

Finally, Leah found the courage to walk up the stone stairs to the front door of the estate. She was only doing this because of how much she cared about Charlotte. Leah's friend had reached out to her numerous times begging her friend to help out with this favor. She needed the masquerade to continue to please her mother and to ultimately move on with her life. It was a big favor. Leah's status had been reduced from one of the twelve bridesmaids to an actual maid. In the end the only reason she had agreed to this plan was after Charlotte promised to make a large donation to her favorite charity. At least something good would come from all of this.

Upon reaching the door, Leah pushed the doorbell and waited. She felt incredibly small standing in front of this massive estate. It was a palatial home that sprawled across countless acres of land. The contrast between Leah dressed in her simple black dress waiting outside the 16 foot front doors seemed almost comical. Silently standing in her little black flats only added to her nervous tension. A growing part of her wanted to turn and run. It was only through force of will that Leah managed to hold things together while she waited.

After what felt like a very long wait, but in reality was only a couple minutes, the door to the estate began to open. The heavy doors appeared to move under their own power. Only the faint sound of machinery betrayed the effortless display they made while revealing the incredible opulence guarded behind them. A bead of sweat formed on her brow as Leah attempted to maintain her composure in the face of such grandeur. This was wealth at a level that she could not truly comprehend.

The doors revealed a figure standing behind them, a woman dressed in a simple black dress with white lace trim. She had a pleasant, albeit serious expression on her face and appeared to be in her early 50s. Leah could clearly see streaks of gray hair intermixed with the woman's brown hair. On first impression it was apparent that she had not made any effort to dye her hair in a vain effort to slow down the aging process. Although the woman looked comically small standing in the doorway, Leah could tell that she was proud and completely comfortable in her own skin. She also didn't appear to be in any sort of hurry as she waited patiently for the doors to finish their motion before approaching Leah.

"Miss Leah, welcome to the Davenport Estate." The woman walked over to Leah and offered her hand. "I'm Ms. Perkins, the Head Housekeeper in charge of all the female staff on the estate."

Leah took the woman's hand and smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"We are very pleased to have you join the staff. It's been a long time since I have seen Lady Davenport so excited about adding a new member to it, although to be fair, I typically handle all of the hiring / firing decisions. You have definitely made quite the impression with her." The woman paused for a moment as she picked up Leah's bag. "I hope that your journey here was uneventful."

Leah felt a little awkward as the woman took her bag before turning to walk back into the house. "Everything has been fine, Ms. Perkins," Leah followed the woman into the home. "Please there is no need for you to take my bag. I am happy to carry it in."

"Nonsense girl," the woman scoffed at her. "You'll be busy soon enough. Can't risk you pulling a muscle or anything walking up the stairs."

The entryway to the Davenport mansion was even more breathtaking than the doors. The vaulted ceiling rose up well over fifty feet in the air and was crowned with ornate glass windows that filled the entire room with the warm glow of natural sunshine. That light reflected down onto the floor covered with a rich mosaic map of the Earth meant to show the full extent of the Davenport empire. There was not a country in the world that did not have some dealings with the family either directly through one of their many companies or indirectly through the tens of thousands of suppliers who worked with them. Beyond the mosaic was an elegant winding staircase that ascended up several flights. The stairs appeared to float effortless into the air as the light shimmered off of them. Leah could not determine how they were supported.

"I see your eyes have noticed the floating stairs. William Davenport III had them installed over a hundred years ago after seeing a set at a Palace in Persia. The staff is never allowed on them except to clean them. To be honest they rarely get used except for special events."

Leah simply nodded in response as she followed the woman into the house. The journey took them down a winding labyrinth toward the servants' wing. This was an older part of the mansion that was hidden toward the back of the home. It faced the back of the stables and a few barns which housed much of the equipment used in its daily upkeep as well as a small power plant structure which provided all of the estate's utilities. Although the Davenport family had been transitioning toward green energy, they still relied on a small generator complex for some energy needs.

Ms. Perkins finally arrived at Leah's room. It was one of a dozen nondescript doors on the floor. The only reason Leah even knew it was her room was because her name was on the door. After walking past room after room of absolute splendor, Leah was a bit disappointed to see what awaited her inside. The room, itself, was rather small, being somewhat wider than it was deep. There was a twin bed in the corner and Leah estimated based on its size that the room was approximately 10' by 8'. There was a small desk against the opposite wall and a tiny open closet with a couple drawers next to the bed. Tucked next to the desk was a door which led to a personal bathroom with sink, toilet and shower stall.

After placing Leah's bag in the room, Ms. Perkins pointed out the room's features to Leah although it was already obvious given the small size. She concluded her brief tour by pointing out the uniforms in the closet. There were 7 uniforms for daily wear and 2 dress uniforms. The regular uniforms were rather simple and easy to slip into as they buttoned down the front. Each dress had white trim along the collar and the sleeves. The only variation appeared to be the color of each uniform. Two dresses were black, two were navy, and the remaining three were gray, light blue and tan. Both of the formal uniforms were identical. The black fabric seemed a bit more delicate and the white trim was lace. Each dress zipped in the back and was topped off with a white lace cap and half moon apron.

As Leah looked over the uniforms Ms. Perkins provided her with a few more instructions. "There are just a couple other things you need to know before I leave to let you get settled. First, please be sure to always wear the nude hosiery in your dresser with your everyday uniforms. For formal events, Ms. Davenport asks us to wear the black stockings. This is absolutely crucial as Lady Davenport does not permit the help to show bare legs. It will get you reprimanded and your pay docked, and if it happens more than once, possibly fired. Along with the hosiery there are comfortable flats for daily wear and black heels for formal wear. The heels are only two inches and actually quite comfortable. Lady Davenport wants us to be presentable but functional as well. Any questions?"

"No," Leah replied as she continued to inspect the simple room.

"Excellent. After you get settled and into your new uniform, Lady Davenport asks that you join her in the East Study. If you have a hard time finding it, there are electronic maps throughout the house that can help guide you. Please don't keep her waiting long." With that Ms. Perkins walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed, Leah walked over to sit on the side of her bed. The room was not awful. Although the house was immaculate, her room was far from being 5 star accommodations. Everything was clean and orderly; just plain and simple. It was not what Leah had imagined after the last three months of working 80 plus hours per week at her law firm. Those fantasies typically involved a warm comfy bed, lovely pool on a tropical island and a cute cabana boy. At least she would not be working too hard on this trip. She was doing this as a favor for Charlotte and her friend would shelter Leah from having to do too much work.

After a few minutes of quiet contemplation, Leah realized that she needed to get up or risk falling asleep on the bed. Although she had no desire to get started, she realized that it would be unwise to keep Vivian Davenport waiting. The hardest part about getting dressed was picking out which uniform to wear. Leah settled on one of the navy uniforms. The color just seemed right and a few minutes later, she confirmed this as she took a quick look at herself in the bathroom mirror. The door closed softly behind her as Leah set off to begin her first day of service to the Davenport Family.

The mansion was immense and while she had a good sense of direction, Leah had no idea where she was going. However, just as Ms. Perkins had described there were electronic maps along the wall. All someone had to do was look up the room in the directory and it would provide directions based on her current location as well as an estimated time of arrival. The house had its own GPS.

Fifteen minutes later and several more stops at various mapping terminals, Leah found herself standing outside the East Study. She paused momentarily to compose herself before quietly entering. Compared to many of the other rooms around the house, the East Study was relatively modest. The inside wall consisted of one large bookshelf that ran from one end of the room to the other. It was completely filled with books from floor to the 12 foot ceilings. Opposite the bookshelves, ornate windows filled the room with natural sunlight which reflected off the perfectly polished wooden floors. The whole room felt a bit like a university library, although the furnishings were definitely not anything that Leah had seen at her alma mater.

At the far end of the room, Vivian Davenport sat behind a mahogany desk. She had not yet noticed that someone else had entered the room. Instead her attention was fixated on a number of files sitting in front of her. This only seemed to add to the tension as Leah was unsure what to do. She did not want to upset the powerful woman if she was in the middle of something important, yet standing there felt incredibly awkward. After a few uncomfortable seconds, Leah decided to walk toward the desk hoping that the sound of her footsteps would alert her employer to her presence.

That seemed to work because Lady Davenport looked up as Leah approached. "My girl," she said with a big smile. "Welcome to the Davenport Estate. I am thrilled that you have come into our service."

Not exactly sure what to do, Leah paused and slightly bowed her head. "Thank you Mrs. Davenport. It is an honor to serve your family."

The response seemed to please Vivian as she got up from her desk and began walking over. "Please take a seat my dear. I was just reviewing the plans for the wedding. We have much to discuss now that you are here."

When Leah and Charlotte had been roommates back in college, she often ran through scenarios of her first conversation with Lady Davenport. Making a good impression was paramount. She had hoped that her excellent marks in school and drive to better herself would impress the socialite, but as she now sat before the woman, Leah realized that Vivian Davenport would never look at her as anything but a pretentious peasant. To the patrician, Leah the maid was no different than Leah the attorney. No amount of education or wealth would ever change that reality. The act of meeting her best friend's mother had always terrified her, but now sitting before the woman in her simple maid uniform, Leah felt a strange sense of calm.

Vivian's gaze naturally assessed the latest addition to her staff. The girl looked so natural in her uniform. This simple maid was the solution to all those nights she had spent worrying about her misguided daughter. Upon completing her initial review, Vivian finally spoke, "I find that even when there is a lot to do, it's important to take a moment to review the plan."

Unsure what else to say, Leah simply responded, "Of course Ma'am."

"Good, good, I see that you agree." Vivian paused for a moment apparently lost in thought. While the silence seemed completely natural to one of her standing, Leah felt incredibly uncomfortable. She looked down at her feet, in an effort to hide her nervousness. This simple act seemed to please her employer. "My dear, I know you are here to serve my daughter, but would you be so kind as to give me one of those delicious foot massages?"

While the words may have implied some form of choice, Leah knew better than to say no. Without even replying she once again found herself on her knees, this time in front of her friend's mother. Vivian Davenport was wearing an elegant pair of closed toed leather pumps which despite their simple appearance cost more than Leah paid for a month to rent her apartment. The nude silk stockings underneath were equally luxurious. Leah nervously looked at her nails praying that she did not inadvertently snag the delicate fabric during her massage.

Vivian seemed attune to the girl's concern. "Please don't worry about snagging my stockings. I rarely wear a pair more than once and usually just give them to one of the girl's as a reward for good service." She moaned softly as Leah's fingers hit their mark before continuing. "Actually consider them my gift to you. I will have Ms. Perkins drop them off later today to welcome you to the house. Just be sure to hand wash and hang them up before you put them away in your bureau."

Although Leah realized that her employer considered this a handsome reward, the idea of receiving a pair of used stockings, let alone a dirty pair, as a gift made her stomach churn. However she knew better than to refuse and simply replied "Thank you Ma'am" before continuing with her foot massage.

"My sweet girl, your manners are impeccable. You truly are a diamond in the rough. Why it has been years since I have hired someone with such an inherent understanding of their place in the world. Most of my help has been with me for generations. They know their place, but so very few outsiders truly understand the natural order of things. It's quite refreshing to see that our politically correct world has not completely eliminated the last remnants of proper service."

Although the matriarch's words went against everything that she believed in, Leah's only response was to continue with the foot massage. This was not the life that her parents envisioned for her when they sent Leah away to school. As she imagined the look on their faces, Leah cringed. Thankfully this was not her reality. The girl kneeling on the floor was actually an accomplished lawyer. However, for just a moment she briefly forgot that she actually was a lawyer and not simply the maid on the floor.

"You're really going to help me put my rebellious daughter back on the proper path. I know that this may come as a bit of a shock to you, but most servants do not understand the natural order of things. Those girls would scoff at the idea of massaging their employer's feet. You, on the other hand, have embraced your place. I have had to fire countless maids for failing to grasp this concept. Their minds have been brainwashed with a false sense of equality, but you get it my dear girl. You know that you should be grateful to be a part of this household and you are confident in your status. Not many girls today would realize what an honor it is to massage my tired feet. In fact, I just may have to make this part of the hiring process going forward. It would certainly help weed out the pretenders."

Each word that Vivian Davenport spoke seemed to tear away at what little dignity Leah had left. She tried to remind herself that the only reason she was here serving this woman was because her friend begged her to do it. Yet part of her felt a deep sense of betrayal. The young woman could not help but feel that she was turning a blind eye to all the years of hard work that had driven her to seek out a better life. As much as Leah tried to rationalize her situation, she felt a sense of disgust with herself. She felt dirty, covered in the grime of her position. Would she be able to wash the filth of her betrayal off or would it continue to haunt her even after she returned to the "real world."

Vivian continued to speak, completely oblivious to the conflict unfolding beneath her. "Not only have these dangerous ideas permeated the working classes, they have also managed to corrupt my beloved daughter. I knew permitting Charlotte to room with a commoner was a mistake, but she insisted. I am not too proud to admit my lapse in judgment. The simpleton they paired her with possessed just enough education to do significant harm. Yet she was not bright enough to realize her extreme level of ignorance." Vivian shifted her feet in Leah's hands before continuing. "Thank goodness the girl showed her true colors and backed out of the wedding. My naive daughter was going to include her in it. It would have made a mockery of our entire family. I'm sure the brute did it to upset me. If only she realized it was the first time I actually felt any respect for her. At least she finally realized that she had flown too close to the sun."

Throughout the one sided conversation, Leah continued to rub Vivian's feet. They became her sole focus, preventing her mind from truly comprehending everything that was being said. The truth was a bitter pill for her to digest. Any hope that Leah held that Lady Davenport would accept her had been completely dashed.

12