Learning to Love Another Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It fit over mine -- they named me 'Hooters' remember?"

"Indeed," she said. "You never make a point of it, so I forget how curvy you are."

"Just because we don't talk to each other's breasts like the men do to us..."

We both paused awkwardly for a moment or two. Then Tess buttoned up the jacket, we set the security system, and we made our exit. We both knew we had big tits. That fact was inescapable, but alone, in my office, late at night seemed a strange place to discuss it. If you've been through sexual harassment training in the workplace, one of the big emphases is that sexual discussion of any kind doesn't belong in the workplace. That kind of thinking is hardwired into employees' brains, especially if they work in a facility with high public liability and/or government money. Not that I would know anything about that or be at liberty to discuss it if I did. So even though our tits were the elephants in the room (so to speak), it seemed best not to discuss them.

Tess finalized the paperwork with the tow operator while I sent a hurried set of text messages. -- Note that this was back in the flip phone days when you had to sequence the number keys to type --

"abt 2 take bike psngr for 1st time 4 emrgncy xprt. tips?" I keyed.

"gear and susp set?" came back.

"yes yes"

"ride like raining"

"thx bb xoxo"

Thank goodness she was up. We hadn't seen each other in quite a long while, but BB was still a good friend and a trusted motorcycle instructor, and her advice made perfect sense. Ride like it's raining meant bring the speed way down, accelerate modestly, and brake with lots of extra room. I had ridden pillion on Ethan's Triumph a hundred times and on BB's Nomad as well, but I had never piloted while taking a passenger. The last thing I wanted to do was make Tess "fall and die" at what was approaching one o'clock in the morning after a full day. At least there would be no traffic.

Tess gave me basic directions to her house, so I would know where we were headed until she could point. I gave her ear plugs, showed her how to put the helmet on, and fixed the D rings for her. Then we slid her glasses on through the face aperture so she could actually see.

"Ok," I shouted. "I need to start the bike first, then you climb on when I give you the nod. Hold me around the waist and look over my inside shoulder when we lean around corners. Don't bang your helmet into mine, and you'll be just fine."

Tess gave me the thumbs up. I keyed the ignition, and she climbed on behind me. The bike immediately felt heavy, but the suspension took the weight. Tess got her feet up on the pegs and snuggled up behind me. I mentioned in my chapter about Ethan how intimate it is to ride pillion behind someone, and I was very conscious of Tess's body pressed against me. Her breasts felt huge and soft even through the denim and leather, and her thighs squeezing me felt positively dirty. I loved it.

The ride to her house was stimulating but otherwise uneventful. I kept my speed way down and rode so smoothly it was like I was trying not to spill coffee. Tess was tense but in all other ways a perfect passenger.

*****

I coasted up the driveway to her modest house. It was nice but understated in a zero-personality kind of way. It looked like someone else took care of the yard, and there was nothing distinctive about it at all. That seemed at odds with the dynamic woman sitting behind me.

I gave Tess a 'get off' thumb motion, which she did while I held both brakes. After that I switched off the engine and kicked down the side stand. My hands did their automatic sequence: remove gloves, set them on the tank, pull helmet chinstrap, remove helmet, stash gloves in helmet, drop ear plugs into the helmet on top of the gloves, and pop my collar snaps. I didn't think about; my hands just do that.

Then I noticed Tess wrestling with how to undo the chinstrap on her helmet. Rather than do it for her, I guided her hand to the tail end of the strap where it attached to the D-rings and helped her pull it. Then I guided her hand to the D-ring tab and helped her pull that too. After that she unthreaded it by feel, and I guided her hand to lift the helmet off by the chin bar. I quickly slid her glasses off her face first, then she got the helmet off. She pulled her ear plugs then.

"Thank you," she said and took a deep breath and put her glasses back on. "I got claustrophobic there for a second when I couldn't get it off."

"Understood. It's a double D-ring and it's not supposed to come open. I'm just used to it so it's second nature."

"You'd think I would be used double Ds," she muttered off-handedly.

"Maybe you should keep the Hooters helmet," I mentioned, also off-handedly.

"Sorry," we both said and looked at the ground like teenagers.

"It's late, and I'm tired, and I don't mean to be stupid," she said.

"You're not," I laughed. "We're both a bit slappy. It is 1:30 in the morning after a full day, and you're probably having an adrenaline let-down after the ride."

"Will you be ok riding home, or do you need to stay here?"

I knew she meant it for exactly what it sounded like -- genuine concern with no ulterior motive. I provided all the innuendos in my own head. I was still buzzing a bit from the ride pressed against her.

"I'll be fine. I'm actually busy on the bike, so I don't get sleepy. I don't live that far away anyway."

"Ok then."

There was an awkward silence during which we just stared at each other. All these years later and I still remember it.

"So umm... yeah. Let me know what you hear about your car. If you need a ride to go get it, or for anything really, just call me. We can take my embarrassment for a car next time."

Tess smiled, "I will. I think I will keep the jacket and helmet in the meantime, though. I liked being on the bike."

"It's addictive."

"Thanks for getting me home safely, sugar," she said.

Then she leaned in and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. She met my eyes for a moment, and then turned and walked up her driveway to let herself into the house without looking back.

The ride home was like surfing a space highway through the black and the quiet. I felt like I was flying.

*****

Tess called me the following afternoon. The Audi service center had confirmed it was the starter (cool points to me) and had repaired it under warranty. She offered to take me to dinner if I could give her a ride to pick it up, which I agreed to almost before she got the request out. I wasn't sure what to expect after last night's kiss, but I need not have concerned myself. Tess was never awkward about being herself.

Tess was in her driveway when I wheeled up. She had braided her hair back, worn some hiking boots, and even put on a pair of leather driving gloves -- not bad at all for improvised gear. She hugged me this time as if it was the most natural thing to do (which it is for Southern people), gave me the basics of how to get to the car place, and donned her earplugs and helmet. She must have practiced in a mirror, because she had no trouble at all. I was impressed, and I knew what it meant. It was her version of catching up on Dr. Who videos.

I started up, and she snuggled in behind me for the twenty-minute ride to the Audi place. We turned a lot of heads on the way there and especially when we pulled up at the service center. Tess's jeans were tight and straddling a saddle is flattering when viewed from the rear. I was in full leathers, but they fit like the proverbial glove.

One of my asides -- altogether my leathers, boots, gloves, and helmet cost more than "Rocket", my refurbished Ninja 250R (the EX250-F variant), but my priorities were in the right place. I only have one body, so that was where the money went first. Tess and I were also near max load for the bike with both of us on it, required gear, and full fuel. We looked cool and sexy, but we were slow and heavy.

I busied myself redialing the suspension on the bike to single-up settings while Tess went in to check-out and get her key. She came out a couple minutes later, all smiles.

"They even washed and vacuumed it for me."

"Good deal! What do you want to do now?"

"I'll follow you home so you can drop off your bike if you don't mind. Then we can go out to eat."

"Sounds ok to me. My place is clean enough for visitors," I smiled.

"I wouldn't mind either way."

"Ok, it's not far."

I gave her the basic directions, which she understood, and she said she'd follow me. I geared back up and motored on home, eyeing her in the mirrors the whole way. Twenty minutes later I was climbing off the bike in my garage while she stepped out of her car outside it. I hung up my helmet and jacket and stored everything properly (good habits picked up from BB) in their places.

"Come on in and make yourself comfortable," I said and unlocked the garage door into my kitchen. "I hope you don't mind cats."

Tess followed me in and set her keys on the kitchen counter. The kitchen had one of the only two windows in the apartment (the other being in the living room), but I turned on all the lights anyway. Altogether, my basement apartment was probably smaller than the apartment I had shared with Angel in college. Fortunately, Angel had helped me decorate, so it looked modern and tasteful. Tess was only the third person who had ever come into my place, after Angel and that one time BB came to see me during my wreck recovery.

"What a cozy little nest," Tess said, and I could tell she meant it seriously.

"Mrow?" from Fabulous, who sauntered in at the sound of a new voice. Tess immediately sat on the kitchen floor and held her hands out for Fabby to investigate.

"That's her meow-jesty, Fabulous. I'm going to go change out of my leathers and boots," I said. "I'll be right back."

I don't know why, but after all the leather and armor I wanted to wear something really light and girly. I wanted to feel pretty. Actually, I did know why, but I wasn't ready to articulate it at the time. So chose a dip-dyed broomstick skirt and a green sleeveless top. There was an Indian guy at a kiosk at the mall up on the east side of the city that sold those kinds of skirts, and I probably had six of them in different colors. They were comfortable and I didn't have to wear underwear with them. Bonus, that. I slipped on some sandals, brushed out my hair, and walked back out of the bedroom about five minutes after I went in.

Tess was still sitting on the floor but now with a lap full of purr fur magic. Fabby is an excellent judge of character, so I took that as a good sign.

"Who's the queen of the world? I think we know who the queen of the world is," Tess was murmuring as she rubbed Fabby under the chin.

"I see she's got you where she wants you," I laughed.

Tess looked up, and her mouth fell open. Fabby complained immediately that the rubbing had stopped, but Tess seemed momentarily frozen.

"What?" I said, instantly self-conscious.

"You look beautiful!"

"And?"

"And nothing. I've never seen you in anything but business casual, leathers, or coveralls. We all kind of run together at the office in sexless engineer uniforms. I've just never seen you dress..."

"Like a regular person?" I laughed.

"I suppose so. You look so purty! If you'll pardon my Tennessee."

"Thank you, Tess! That's very kind. Where do you want to go?"

"Probably back home to change into something that's not jeans, boots, and a t-shirt!"

"You don't have to do that. You look fine."

"Nope," she shook her head. "My mama said never be the ugly duckling in the room if you can help it."

"That's ridiculous -- not in principle, but in specific. I think it's impossible you could ever be considered the ugly duckling in any room. You are gorgeous, and you know it."

She paused. "You think I'm gorgeous?"

"Yes, I do. I think the rest of the planet would agree with me too."

"Thank you, Elain. That's very sweet of you."

Another awkward silence followed, during which Fabby stalked off with her tail in the air -- disgruntled that her new person had fallen down on the job of feline adoration. She is a fickle beast.

"What size dress do you wear, if you don't mind me asking?"

She told me with no hesitation. Awkwardness notwithstanding, she was Tess after all.

"Come look in my closet. I think everything I own would fit you."

"Really?"

"Of course, Tess. It will save you a trip."

She followed me into the bedroom, stopping at the door for a moment to say, "Oh, I love the lighting!"

"Yeah, my sister Angel did it for me. She was worried it would be too cave-like in here without windows."

"She knew what she was doing. It's very cozy without being dark and closed in. I didn't know you had a sister."

"Best friend, factually... I always call her my sister, and my parents consider her a daughter. That's her there," said indicating a framed picture.

"Wow, she's beautiful."

"Smart as hell and working on rich. She's a financial administrator in a big firm and is working toward a C-level position. If it's got dollar signs on it, she's your girl. She just started dating a new guy who is an executive chef. I haven't met him yet, but food is her other great love, so it sounds like an ideal thing."

"Another sister?" she asked pointing at different framed picture.

It was the same photo that had confused Ethan's ex, Michelle. I didn't see the point in being evasive. Might as well be honest and see what happened.

"That's Jessika. She was my girlfriend at the end of college. She's a former model, which is where that picture comes from. She works up in Montreal as a fashion designer."

"Good lines. They knew how to light her for her features. And this?" she said pointing to another photo. "Tell me if I'm being rude, please."

"You're not. That's Ethan. He was my boyfriend before I moved here. He's the one who got me interested in motorcycles. I took that picture on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Blowing Rock on one of our rides."

"I've been there," she said. "I've taken the Audi up that way toward Boone. It's nice up there if you're careful of idiots on the road."

"Ethan called them 'squids', short for squirrely kids. So anyway, let's find you something to wear."

"Oh, of course. I get distracted easily. This is the first time we've ever had time to talk when not on the clock, and I'm finding out a lot about you."

Tess took off my denim jacket and folded it neatly on the foot of my bed. Fabby immediately jumped up on the bed and curled up on it because it was warm. We spent the next hour playing the grown-up version of dress up and laughing. After the first fifteen minutes I put some music on, and we danced around trying things on. I changed clothes at least four times and Tess at least eight. She stopped going into the bathroom to do it after the first couple of times because I unintentionally broke the ice.

I was so used to changing in locker rooms that I didn't think it was odd to change in front of another woman, but I had forgotten that I wasn't wearing underwear. Luckily my back was to her when I dropped my skirt the first time, but she still got an eyeful of my pale ass, and I heard her gasp.

"Shit! I'm so sorry!" I said, quickly wrapping my skirt back around me. "I'm so used to changing at the pool that I didn't think."

"Well... this is an icebreaker," she laughed, unintentionally echoing the exact same thing I had said to BB in her garage. "It's ok, I'm not embarrassed, just surprised."

"I didn't mean to! Give me second," I said, grabbed some panties from my dresser and dashed into the bathroom.

I came back out a few seconds later with them on to find Tess in just bra and panties. I noticed that they were regular non-matching bra and panties like mine. Neither of us were lingerie hobbyists like Jessi-K. After that we relaxed and had the best time figuring out what to wear. We didn't get naked, but underwear was clearly ok. We didn't mention it again, and by the time we were done playing dress-up we both looked great.

Dinner was Carrabba's for lasagna and fettuccini alfredo.

*****

"Chianti or sauvignon blanc?" Tess asked.

"Neither for me, please. I don't drink at all."

"Not a problem," she said. "I wasn't going to either because I'm driving. Health or just preference?"

"Both," I admitted. "I used to struggle with mental health issues, so I don't put anything that could be considered a depressant or an impairment in my body. I don't trust myself to handle it."

"You don't have to say any more on that if you don't want to, but I will say you are one of the most together people I know. Your judgement at work is considered above reproach, and you are highly trusted as a person as well."

"I have worked very hard to become that person. My issues are all old, so I don't mind telling you. I had an eating disorder and a lot of depression and related issues in high school. A gifted therapist and very supportive parents got me through it. My sister, Angel, helped with the rest and over time I learned to love myself. I know myself though, and I don't trust myself with things that could be addictive... except motorcycles. I figure they are priced high enough it would be hard to be too addicted."

"Is Angel your only sister?"

"Yeah, my mom jokes that I was an only child until college. What about you?"

"I have an older brother, Michael. He's a professor at the University of Basel, in Switzerland. Mama and Papa are Austrian by birth, but both my brother Michael and I were born in Tennessee. That's why I talk funny," she laughed.

"Michael seems banal compared to Tesseract," I remarked.

"Ahhh," Tess laughed and held up a finger. "It's his first name. Both of our first names are for our grandparents, but my parents are both research physicists, so they were creative with our middle names. Mine is Tesseract, and Michael's is Planck -- after Max Planck of course. He goes by Michael, but I go by Tess because 'Astrid' got me teased in school -- emphasis on the first syllable, you see. It's easy to corrupt into ass-turd."

"That's awful, but I know how kids are. I have always really like Tess, and I think Tesseract is just too cool. Is Michael a physicist?"

"No, funny enough, he went the chemistry PhD route," Tess laughed. "I have teased him about that for years. I tell him they should have named him Avogadro, and he claims he would happily go by Avi if that were the case."

"It sounds like he's good natured about it at least."

"Oh, he's great. He's always been my greatest advocate when it came to education and career. Our whole family is very supportive and close despite living far from each other. It sounds like your family is the same."

"They are. Given my past difficulties, they have never wavered."

"It's good to have family that supports and loves you no matter who you are, isn't it?"

"It is."

Tess's rhetorical question had a lot of depth in it despite being delivered nonchalantly. She probably has a genius level intellect, if she were ever tested, and I discovered later that the word 'prodigy' was tossed around a lot when she was in school. She knew exactly what she was saying with those words. I thought I did too, and I found it encouraging. She had not batted an eye or raised a question when I talked through who Jessi-K and Ethan were back in my apartment. I had not missed that.

The rest of dinner passed with eating and laughing, sci-fi and fantasy quotes, and talk of motorcycles, cars, and work. It was a wonderful meal with a good friend. That was it.

Tess drove me home, and I was about to bid goodbye to her in the driveway when we both remembered that she was wearing my clothes. I told her to keep them until I saw her later, but she said that she'd need hers back anyway, so we went back inside.