All Comments on 'Left Behind'

by leapyearguy

Sort by:
  • 58 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Usually

Usually I like your stories, but this one was a tad too melodramatic for me. I'm also supposed to believe that the Navy would punish a rapist by giving him shitty jobs to do instead of a court marshall and/or incarceration.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
The Poor Little Man!

What a pity...bless his poor little soul!

H20waderH20waderabout 17 years ago
hell yes

wonderful. one of your best.

i am the h20wader

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Poignant and sad.

Well done and their relationship and interactions were believable and ultimately attractive.

This could also have been in romance - since that is really the core of the story. Writing was engaging. All-in-all an interesting story.

Regards, Jack

LadyCibelleLadyCibelleabout 17 years ago
Beautiful

Simply beautiful; nothing more to say.

Alvaron53Alvaron53about 17 years ago
Nicely told

Good story, painful ending. Anonymous complained that he didn't "believe that the Navy would punish a rapist by giving him shitty jobs to do instead of a court marshall [sic]..." I assume that no formal charges were brought but friends of friends can certainly do things to a man's path through life to make it less pleasant. That's what happened here.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 17 years ago
This story was very good, but

very sad! Life isn't all happy endings, darn it! What a touching story.

DesertPirateDesertPirateabout 17 years ago
Damn good!

Thanks for the roller coaster ride. that was a rough ending to a great story. No doubt about the final ending just how long it will take.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
I am confused... he married her because...?

I have no idea why this guy a woman like that... if she didnt break his privacy this guy still would of saved her life... and she would still hated him.... then he had to nag yell and scream to get her to tell the whole story...

Now if that isnt the basis of a great marriage...

what is?

peggytwittypeggytwittyabout 17 years ago
A well done tragedy

A Tragedy of humans and their capacities to experience life.<p>Thank you for the entertainment and your gift of writing stories.<p>

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Excellent

I can see the story in my mind, a truly tragic thing. It was great words from you thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
I'm crying, Thank You

How can I rate this as 5 when it tore me up and left me weeping ? Because this story has the power to recall a part of my life I try to hide from. Your writing skills are appreciated whether the emotions are Humer or Pain......

zed0zed0over 15 years ago
Depressing as hell . .

. . .How utterly fucking maudlin.

KOLKOREKOLKOREabout 15 years ago
Sorry, but his one left me behind...

While the historical background and the characters were interesting, I felt that this story was missing a point. It reminded me of the cynical expression: “life sucks and then we die” All right, I get it on a basic level but what good story can you really tell based on that generalization? Most importantly, a story needs a sense of development and I missed it here. Yes, we hear how the hero (and he was a hero) got to the dreadful situation he is at the time he is telling the story, but to the most part it’s a static narrative. It starts low, continues low, gets better in the middle then sinks back to even lower depths of depression after crushing the readers’ hopes for survival, love or any other development for that matter...<P>

What’s the lesson or the function (plot wise) of overcoming the misunderstanding with the nurse about his ex girlfriend if it all goes to hell anyways? What’s the point of rescuing her from the Japanese soldier? Overall the plot felt like a repetition of mental tormenting of the readers: ‘here is hope -now we’ll crush it’ repeat and crush. If it only served some other theme it could have been understandable, but hopelessness and despair as the only message in life or in a story don’t make me jump off my chair…

jimmyravinejimmyravinealmost 14 years ago
Wow!

Holy fuck!!!! I actually cried. Me...the epitome of the heartless bastard!!! Thanks so very much for a great little story. JR

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Thanks for the pointer, Jimmy

I didn't weep, but thought it authoritively written...Mancelt.

0649d0649dover 13 years ago
tragedy

Shakespeare wrote many plays that were tragedies, and they were all hits. This is a simple story but it really hits the heart..

vietvetvietvetover 13 years ago
Fantastic Read:

Thank you very much and keep writing such good stories.

Tom

DC_PackardDC_Packardabout 13 years ago
Crap!!

Not the story. That was great. What a friggin' heartbreak, though. Don't usually like stories that jerk the hearstrings, but this one was that good. Thanks for your efforts, my friend. You turned out one of the better ones.

DC

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago

I would've like to see a short Part 2,, where he is rescued years later.

But still, it was a great story, a 5+.

chytownchytownover 12 years ago
Crap!!!!!

I wasted my time!!!!!!!!

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 12 years ago
Yuck!

Awful story. I usually like LYG's stories, but this one is awful. I can read depressing stories every stinking day in the newspaper; don't need depressing stories here.

tazz317tazz317over 11 years ago
THE ART FOR SURVIVAL

makes strange partner ships, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

Wow, I was not... expecting this. I feel like a part of me just died. Well done, but... damn.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
So as a Doctor he couldn't save either one?

And no one ever came looking for them? And why would the Japanese soldier try to kill her first? He would have known that the man was the more dangerous opponent? Not that this wasn't well written, but it has so many holes in it that it wasn't enjoyable to read.

TheNextGuyTheNextGuyabout 10 years ago

While I would have loved at least a neutral, if not happy, ending, it was written very well and moved me. Thanks for sharing.

jimbo102jimbo102almost 9 years ago
WHAT!!!, I just could not believe the end, unfortunate but real.

Rarely do we see such a meaningful & soul crushing story, the unheard thought abt war is beautifully shown in the below passage.

"Young brave men had died on both sides and for what? Bragging rights I suppose. It strikes me as idiotic how old fat men in cushioned chairs can send young men, babies really, so easily to their death with so little guilt"

i felt really guilty for all the times been harsh to any1 whom i heard bad things abt.

unfortunately humans learn "FIRE BAD" only after touching fire.

there's a hell of a lot that can be said here but am too emotional, thanks for the story, made me sad but, i learned a bit more of my self. if u read till here then help out any1 & pay it forward (1 ARK at a time. ARK=Act of Random Kindness)

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
W T H..........

That ending sucked after all the bad crap it didn't get better! One bad thing after the other, almost depressing. BUMMER....?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Crappy

Ending sucked. He should have crawled in the with them and died

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
yeah

The Jap wouldn't have wasted a bullet on Judy, she would have been raped and bayoneted. It's what they did. 🤷 Nice story, though.

Taffbanjo2013Taffbanjo2013almost 7 years ago
Great Story

Very poignant.

Quadman07Quadman07over 6 years ago
Good but missing????

Good story but I think the story would have been better if they made it off the island, all 3, and found Cory and made her pay for the wrong she did to this guy. They both suffered because of a lie told but an evil cunt! This story was about life sucks, and then it gets worse. I think Cory should have captured and made a sex slave by the Japanese and suffered a couple years.

tazz317tazz317over 6 years ago
A MEDICAL MAN DISCOVERS HIMSELF

on a deserted island, stranded by war, TK U MLJ LV NV

cancapercancaperabout 6 years ago
loss

every spouse who has been left behind feel the same way thank you 8 fucking months

rastageorgerastageorgealmost 6 years ago
The U.S. military DOES NOT leave Alive Americans behind!!!

PERIOD! A doctor and a nurse? Come on man. 1 star on this disrespectful piece of crap!!!

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchover 5 years ago
Great Story! Despite bummer ending. RE: Doesn't leave people abandoned? Try the Indianapolis foo.

Maybe the remaining ship got Torpedoed Foo.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Yeah...

Good story, well written but a tragic ending!

QuintiusQuintiusover 4 years ago
Yeah...

Tragic for the sake of being tragic. Another one of LYG's stories that I liked the premise of but was ultimately disappointed by. The initial set up of this story was very well done and I liked the build up all the way to the point that he and Judy overcame their problems. For a while it had the kind of atmosphere that reminded me of old pulp stories by Burroughs and the like. After that, though, it changed to yet another "I dunno wut to do wit dis" cop out ending. Let's heap some more hoplessness and tragedy on this poor bastard and just leave the ending hanging there. Great idea.

Wasted potential. What a shame.

enderlocke77enderlocke77almost 3 years ago

so im guessing he killed himself?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

An ending so unnecessary! Such potential wasted to create a depressing and hopeless end to the story. 3*s.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

depressing crap

Runner4069Runner4069almost 2 years ago

Such a sad and depressing story it could have been so much better but you had to go and ruin the whole thing, what the actual fuck?

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

and the point of writing this what?

RanDog025RanDog025over 1 year ago

Damn what a sad but excellent story! Funny how so many people expect the perfect love story every time an Author submits a story! This is only a testament of how good this Author really is and how deep this Author had to go to pull out something this good, what a finish! THANK YOU Leap Year Guy, you can't win them all over all the time, apparently! 5 BIG, HUMONGOUS BLAZING STARS!

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 1 year ago

A sad, sad story. 5*

tomol111tomol111about 1 year ago

Sad story but well written.

Seeker81Seeker81about 1 year ago

Agree with tomol and Matt. Sad but well written

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good writing! 5 stars!

inka2222inka2222about 1 year ago

3 stars because the good guys lost while the evil cunt didn't suffer at all. It's very well written quality wise, but that's just so demoralizing and depressing.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Incredible story. Bombed and cratered. Wow.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Well written story but what was the purpose? If we want reality all we have to do is look in the mirror. Why would we want to get invested in a story that leaves you depressed? Again, it would be nice to see ‘happily ever after’ and not ‘reality sucks’. We are living the latter hoping for the former! Doesn’t look like he has written any stories since 2007 so I’m sure my words are for naught but at least I had my say. LM

rbloch66rbloch669 months ago

This was a depressing series of events that made for a really bad story.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Did you get tired of writing it? It was a pretty good story and then just went into a nosedive and crashed.

RGRollRGRoll5 months ago

5 Stars, quite a story about the possibilities of past wars.

strawboystrawboy29 days ago

Whew, tough story.

BadCubanBadCuban28 days ago

Good writing. Good story. Not sure about the comments related to "don't want sad reality in my stories", this has never been anywhere my reality. It's not the Odyssey, but it's a great tale with allot of tragedy and love.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous