Legionnaire

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was only when enjoying ourselves at the nineteenth hole that Mark finally asked, "Why didn't you tell us, mate?"

"True. We said goodnight the night before, you disappeared with her. Next thing we know, we get an email telling us you're in Paris and won't be returning for a while," Chris added.

"I didn't know what to say and I knew you'd try and convince me to stay, perhaps even talk to her. She'd made her intentions quite clear during that conversation. I'm sure she expected me to agree. More fool her."

"How do you feel about her?" Mark added.

I sculled my drink and placed the glass down carefully. "Part of me still loves her to this day," I admitted, "Despite what she asked of me. Before that, we'd had three to four wonderful years together. But I read it wrong. Partly my fault, I guess. You keep in touch with her?"

"She freaked out and wondered where you'd gone," Brett replied, "Even showed up at your parents' place, begging to know where you'd disappeared to. But none of us knew except to say you'd gone to Europe and that's it. We do see her from time to time though."

"Actually, now that you're back, guess we should mention something. You on Facebook or anything?" Mark asked. Shaking my head, as social media had never interested me, he continued. "There's a ten-year reunion in a fortnight. We weren't going to mention it, but since you are back and I'm sure many others have wondered what you've been up to. Invitation have already been sent out and organised, but if you show up in one of your uniforms, I'm sure they'd be happy to let you in."

"Who else is going?"

"Nearly the entire year group," Chris replied, "Far as we know, everyone from our year is still alive. No-one in prison. Think only a couple have drifted overseas like yourself."

Before answering, I headed to the bar to buy another round of drinks, returning and handing them out before I gave my answer. "I don't know. If I go, I'll surprise you. But I'm honestly not interested in what anyone else has been up to. You three are my mates. I know leaving sucked, but I did my best to keep in contact. And I just didn't want anyone to worry so I kept what I did to myself."

"We understand, mate," Mark replied, "We're just glad you're back. Ten years of tomfoolery to catch up on."

"I think just showing up out of the blue will send plenty of tongues wagging," Chris added.

I'd found a job the previous week as a civil engineer. As soon as they had my length of service in the Legion, and glowing references that I needed to translate, the nationwide company had been eager for my signature, immediately upping the salary offer by a further thirty-five thousand dollars, as they were aware I had other pokers in the fire and were desperate for me to start.

All it took was a signature and a shake of hands, as I was likely going to accept their offer, but an upping of the salary was certainly convincing of how much they wanted me. I made quick friends with a few of the lads who worked for me, and when I broke out into French as always, still getting used to living back in my homeland, it led to questions of my past. That meant spending more than one lunchtime regaling them with stories of my time with the Legion.

The night before the reunion, I was busy ironing my dress uniform when I received a call from Mark, wondering if I was going to attend the event the next evening. I told a white lie, suggesting I was still thinking about it and that I'd turn up tomorrow night if I was interested. Thankfully, no-one else had heard of my return so people who I did remember fondly would be surprised to see my return. Very few would have known I'd been in Europe, let alone had joined the French Foreign Legion.

My sister and her family popped around the next day as I relaxed in the pool. Wandering outside, she lowered her glasses and looked me up and down. "Work out, John?" I flexed and made her laugh. "My little brother is anything but that now, it seems."

"I was already taller than you when I left, Emily."

"True, but you weren't that broad and ripped."

"Going to make your husband jealous if you keep ogling. And it's weird as you're my sister."

"I haven't seen you in ten years, John. Just noticing the changes is all."

Stepping out of the pool, I grabbed a towel and she would have noticed a couple of the larger scars. That naturally led to question and stories, sitting at the table, no surprise Mum walked out with a beer for me and glass of wine for her. When I told Emily I would be going to the reunion that evening, she offered to drive me in.

"I'm a little surprised you're going," she admitted.

"Could do with the night out and, I'll confess, I'm looking forward to surprising a few people at the same time."

"And what about you know who?"

"If she's there, so be it."

"Okay, putting it bluntly. Will you talk to her?"

"I won't go looking for her. If she wants to talk to me, she's welcome to try. I'll see how I feel and what she might have to say."

"You hate her?"

"Emily, part of me still and will always love her. But, being honest, I haven't given her much thought since about a year or two after I left. It was only stepping onto the plane in Singapore on the way back home that she actually crossed my mind, simply because she was the catalyst for everything that happened."

Standing up and rounding the table, I stood up as she hugged me tightly. We'd been close enough when growing up but I couldn't remember the last time she cuddled me. "I missed my little brother," she said softly, "I'm glad you're home."

"So am I, Emily. I did miss you guys while I was away. But I was also an adult, on my way to becoming a man, and going off to do my own thing has done me the world of good."

She let me go and took a step back, looking me up and down again. "Sure did. And I suppose the Legion also helped too?"

"Certainly instilled a certain discipline inside me, at the very least. I make my bed every morning. All my clothes are neatly folded away. And I can cook. A man can't march on an empty stomach."

Finishing our drinks, Mum made us some lunch before we sat in the living room. I'd had next to nothing to do with kids for ten years so spending time with my niece and nephew was an eye-opener. Both were under the age of six, but old enough to walk, talk, be little humans basically, each with their own little personality. They obviously had no idea who I was so I was definitely a person of interest to my nephew, but my niece was adorably shy.

My sister finally announced it was time for me to get ready. First visit was the bathroom where I shaved and showered, dousing myself in deodorant before walking to my bedroom. My dress uniform had been ironed perfectly and I ensured I was as presentable as I would have been when on the parade ground. My leather shoes were polished until they practically sparkled. Medals I'd been awarded rested on my chest. Last was my beret, putting on a little cologne, grabbing my wallet, phone and keys, before I walked out into the living room.

Silence to start with.

"Holy shit," my sister whispered.

My father rose to his feet. One emotion evident. Absolute pride. "Looking good, son. You'll be fighting them off tonight."

Chuckling while shaking my head, I managed to reply with, "Merci beaucoup, papa." Clearing my throat, I added, "I wasn't allowed to bring my service revolver home. Gun laws and all that."

"You'd wear one?" Mum asked.

"No, but if I had resided in France, it's awarded at the end of service, much like this uniform and a couple of others." Gesturing to my head, where my green beret rested, I added, "This was hard earned, let me tell you."

"Are you ready?"

"Sure am, Emily. Right, don't wait up for me though I don't plan on being out until early morning. I'll find my own way home though."

Mum hugged me tightly, kissing my cheek, and I held her for a few second. I'd missed my mother, and I knew she was proud of me. Upset I'd been gone for so long, but since returning home, she'd looked after her youngest child. I didn't complain but I didn't want to take advantage for too long.

I followed Emily to her SUV. Living in the western suburbs, it was a long enough drive into the city that she put on the air-conditioning as the car did get warm, my sister adding that she did like my cologne. When I told her that a previous girlfriend had liked it, the conversation did turn to relationships. I told her about two that had turned rather serious until they started to ask about when rather than if I retired. As I loved my time in service, and had no intention of quitting, the relationships eventually fizzled out.

"No regrets either time," I added, "I am sorry for leaving without nary a word, Emily. But it was something I needed to do."

She took my hand, kissing the back of it. "You're home, John. That's all that matters now. We all missed you though, particularly during times like Christmas. Mum always left your space empty at the dinner table, hoping that you'd return one day. She's ever so excited her little boy is home again."

"I'm glad I did come home. It was time."

She let go of my hand and we finished the journey in comfortable silence. Pulling up on the other side of the street to the hotel where the reunion was being held, we sat together as I watched the entrance, noticing a few men in suits, women in fine dresses and gowns, heading inside. It was growing darker, the streetlights starting to illuminate the road and footpaths. Checking the time, it was due to start in a few minutes.

Taking a deep breath, I put my hand to the door. "Right, here goes nothing. Wish me luck!"

"You'll be fine, John. Just be yourself."

"I don't think 'stone cold killer' is what I'm aiming for." Glancing at her, her face had dropped. "I'm joking, Emily. I'll be friendly."

"See you tomorrow. I want to hear everything, particularly if... you know..."

"Yeah, yeah."

Sliding out of the car, I closed the door before she waited a few seconds and pulled away, tooting the horn and lifting her hand out of the car to wave. Crossing the street, I recognised a few glances in my direction already from a couple of people having a smoke outside the entrance to the hotel. I nodded at them, cheerfully wishing them, "Bonsoir."

Walking to reception, I asked about where the reunion was being held. Obviously surprised I didn't know, I told them I'd only recently returned to the country so this was a last minute thing. Pointing me in the direction of a function room, I noticed decorations had been placed in the hallway, while there was a desk behind which sat a pair of women. I didn't recognise either of them, though after ten years away, and the fact we were now adults instead of teenagers, I guess we'd all changed.

Both glanced in my direction as I approached and I enjoyed the look on their faces. I have no problem saying I knew I looked damned good in my uniform. Stopping in front of them, I smiled. "Bonsoir, mesdames. Je suis ici pour la réunion mais je n'en étais pas au courant jusqu'� récemment."

She blinked at me in confusion, causing me to grin even more. "Apologies, I've spent a decade in France and I'm just so used to speaking the lingo now. I've only recently returned home and had no idea this function was taking place until recently. I'd like to attend, if possible."

"And you are?" she asked. She had a tag on her dress. Said her name was Alicia. I vaguely remembered a girl by that name.

"John Taylor."

I noticed both jaws drop wide. "You're alive?" Alicia asked quietly. She must have remembered me or at least heard one or more rumours.

"What are you wearing?" the other woman asked. Her tag said she was Sarah. To be honest, she didn't seem familiar at all.

"Yes, I'm alive. And this is the dress uniform of a Legionnaire." Both brows creased in confusion. "French Foreign Legion. Heard of it?"

"You what? You... You what?" Alicia asked.

"Do I need to pay to get in?"

"Um... no... no..." I was amused at how flustered both were, though I was left wondering if it was because they were seeing a ghost. Did people really think I was dead? My three mates hadn't mentioned it. Alicia grabbed a piece of paper, wrote my name on it, then slid it into a tag. She handed it over, smiling at me. "I'm sure there will be some no shows tonight but we did have extra places. Head inside. Free beer and wine from the bar. Spirits require payment. Dinner will be served at 8pm. After that will be music afterwards. Welcome home, John."

"Merci beaucoup. I might see you inside."

"Oh, you definitely will," Sarah murmured.

I heard but ignored it, attaching the tag opposite to where my medals were and I slowly strolled into the function room. It was already full of people, most of them with drinks in hand. At my appearance, I was amused that the place fell almost silent. I was the only one in any sort of uniform and I knew I looked good in it. I hadn't removed my beret just yet. I could have glared across the room, knowing most would have taken a couple of steps back at my 'war face'.

"John!" Mark called out, appearing through the crowd, "You made it!"

Smiling, I shook his hand, Brett and Chris following in his wake, offering their hands to shake too. After that was done, the three stepped back. "That your dress uniform?" Chris wondered.

"Fuck, how many medals you got?" Brett asked, gesturing at my chest.

Noticing all the eyes on me, I felt a little self-conscious so gestured to the bar. "Let's get a drink first." I'm fairly sure I heard more than one surprised comment that I was alive. By the time I'd ordered drinks, I had to ask, "Did people think I was dead?"

"You disappeared off the face of the earth, mate," Mark replied, "After everything that happened, many assumed you'd met your end."

"They thought I killed myself?" I received three helpless shrugs. "I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. The two girls out front thought they'd seen a ghost when I told them who I was."

"To some, you probably are. We knew you were in Europe but under instruction from your parents not to tell anyone. I guess it all just snowballed from there."

Conversations nearby eventually resumed and my appearance had been noted then dismissed. That suited me just fine. I'd maintained friendships with those important to me. If anyone else wanted to chat, all they needed to do was approach and say hello. I was regaling the three with a story of what some friends and I had got up to during a weekend in Europe when they fell silent and, to be honest, their faces started to pale. Noticing where their eyes were looking, I knew I'd eventually have to turn around and possibly face the music.

Turning slowly, I recognised the place had gone virtually silent again. No doubt what happened ten years ago still lingered in the memories of many. Lowering my eyes first, I noticed a pair of black heels, lifting my eyes slowly over a pair of black stockinged legs to see a black dress that flowed to the knees. Hips and waist that looked perfect, what looked like a flat stomach followed by a pair of small mounds. There was a hint of cleavage before there was some rather pale skin, then a chin. A pair of lips I remembered. A small nose that I'd always found adorable, A pair of green eyes that shone like emeralds before there was that mahogany red hair that was as vibrant as I remembered.

She looked nervous, her hands fidgeting in front of her. What surprised me was what rested on her left hand, third finger. It looked familiar but I figured she had simply married some other bloke during the intervening decade.

"Stephanie," I managed to say, keeping any emotion I was feeling in that moment out of my tone, as I honestly didn't know how to feel.

She met my eyes, her jaw opening more than once, clearly incapable of speech. I just gazed at her in silence. I wasn't going to break first. I knew this was going to happen eventually. I just hadn't expected it to happen so soon. Part of me had hoped it wouldn't happen at all.

When she stepped forward, I almost stepped back, before I felt her arms wrap around me, her head turning to rest on my chest.

"I've missed you, John. I've missed you so much."

I almost laughed at her. There's a good reason why.

*****

The Past

Stephanie McGregor had been part of my life since almost my first day at school when I was five years old. We started in kindergarten together, and even in those early days, we were drawn to each other for some reason. I remember Mum asking me within a month if I'd made any friends, and when I said I had, she asked who my best friend was.

"Stephanie," was how I replied.

For seven years of primary school, we were not inseparable but we remained incredibly close. At the time, she lived on the same street, so although our parents took us to school, we would walk home from school together, one or two other kids joining us most of the way, but we were the last two together every afternoon. We would always stay with each other until one parent was home. Sometimes we'd stay at hers. Sometimes we'd stay at mine.

After primary school, it was time for six years of high school, unless we chose to leave after four. Just like primary school, we were inseparable again, adding new friends on the way. Mark, Brett and Chris joined our group, with Victoria, Jane and Cindy being the three women that made up our little group. As we hit our teenage years and hormones started to take hold, Stephanie and I grew closer and closer until I just bit the bullet at age fifteen and asked if she wanted to date me.

She almost cried with relief that I finally did just that, expressing she'd been nursing feelings of her own for just as long. Mark started dating Victoria, Brett with Jane, Chris with Cindy, and our group of eight turned into four couples. Some weekends, we'd all do things together, but other weekends, we wanted privacy with our girlfriend.

By the time of our sixth and final year at high school, we were both eighteen and had been each other's firsts regarding all of those little milestones in life. First kiss. First blowjob. First time eating pussy. And, finally, that first awkward time of sexual intercourse. We were careful but adventurous, open-minded and always willing to try something new together. It was certainly young love. We might have been what people loved to call 'stupid teenagers' when it came to such matters, but our relationship remained strong, no matter what life threw at us. We were each other's confidant, supporter, cheerleader, shoulder to cry on, best friend and lover. There were no secrets, we knew everything about each other.

We discussed the future all the time, including things like marriage and children. She was keen for both, though wanted to attend and finish university before getting married, though being engaged during that time was something she would like. I took the hint. We knew we were young but both our sets of parents had married young and were still going strong. They were actually a good example, and mine were constantly giving me relationship advice to ensure mine remained healthy and strong.

By the time final exams arrived, I already knew what I was going to do. Head out into the workforce but continue studies too, primarily so I could start making money and, if possible, afford a place so we could live and start our life together. Stephanie loved the idea, and we started looking at apartments I could afford, both our parents pledging their support to keep us going during the early difficult times we'd no doubt face.

Stephanie aced her exams and was able to attend the university of her choice, the one that allowed her to remain at home if necessary, but we could always move in with other without a problem. Mine were good enough that I could go out to work and start my studies. Studying would be part-time and possibly take longer, but I was willing to work harder if it meant I could get the certificates I needed quicker.