Legionnaire

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So, what I know of that morning is that she told you what she wanted. A break. Open relationship. Whatever she wanted to call it. Trust me on this one, John. Myself, Jane and Cindy, we never asked anything like that from our partners. As soon as she told us, we called her a complete and utter delusional fool. Biggest idiot in history, to throw away your relationship with such a request. Do you believe we'd never asked our boyfriends the same thing?"

"Yeah, considering you're all happily married to the same men. Either they agreed, because they could tolerate it for whatever reason, which I don't believe they'd ever agree to, or you would have never asked. But if not you, who?"

"Three things. One, she started reading things online about how open relationships apparently help the central relationship. Frankly, that works for a very small minority of couples. The vast majority are monogamous, and if you change the rules, it rarely works out well. Two, she honestly thought you would have enjoyed being with some other girls while she was away. You realise you were quite popular right? Honestly, Stephanie did feel threatened from time to time. During some chats, she admitted to feeling insecure because you were so popular."

"My eyes never wandered, Vicki. Not for a second. I loved her with all my heart."

"I know that. So does she." Taking a deep breath, she added, "Three, honestly, just some very bad advice from some miserable and bitter co-workers at the salon she worked at part-time, who were jealous of her relationship with you. So they started laying some seeds of doubt in her mind and, well, here we are ten years later."

"Vicki, I didn't even know you were going away until that morning. How did she think I was going to react to that, let alone then asking for permission to cheat on me for an entire year?"

"That's all our fault. It was a last minute thing. That's the honest truth. We'd discussed it for maybe one, two weeks at most before the formal. We all agreed to tell each of you the morning after the formal."

"Did you end up going?"

"Yes, six of us did end up going in the end. The four of us, and two other friends from school."

"Well, I hope you all had fun," I retorted, unable to hide the bitterness.

Victoria took my hand again. "She didn't have a lot of fun, John. For six months, she cried herself to sleep. Every single night. She was miserable without you, John, knowing you had disappeared and wouldn't be there to greet her when she returned. Christmas was horrific for her. New Year's Ever was even worse as she was alone while the six of us were all romantic and shit. We pretty much had to drag her onto the plane leaving Sydney for Hawaii in the January." She paused before asking, "John, did you see her hand?"

"Yeah."

"That's the same ring you left behind. She put it on that morning and hasn't taken it off since." That caused me to stare at her in surprise. "For the first six months, she was miserable as we hadn't been particularly kind about what she told you, and your friends... Well, they've long forgiven her, but couldn't believe what she asked of you. And we know she didn't fool around as we always shared a room, and she rarely left our sides. The last six months of our trip was better, but she remained single. Any man that came sniffing around, she'd hold up her hand, tell them she was engaged and wasn't interested in hooking up. The only time she was in the dumps again was when Mark, Brett and Chris joined us in Asia for the last month before returning home. That's when reality well and truly hit, as the seven of us stepped off the plane, three couples ready to get on with their lives. Then the fact the three of us married over the next five years, started our families and lives together. Stephanie... She's waited for you, John."

"What?" I asked flatly, "You're serious?"

"She knew you were alive. We, the three girls, have kept her informed. I think our husbands knew what we were doing, and let it go simply because it gave her hope that, one day, you'd return home."

Scratching my head, I asked, "But we were broken up. She made it quite clear that's what she wanted. Why hasn't she moved on?"

"She made a mistake, John. She took some very bad advice, made the worst mistake imaginable in what she asked of you, and has paid for it the last ten years. She's never been angry at you for how you reacted nor the fact you just wanted away, John. Once she realised what she asked of you, then speaking to us..." She paused a moment before adding softly, "It was the letter, John. It was short but you poured your heart out in it. She was crushed, realising just how much you loved her. She admitted that she just took it for granted. She knew just how much she loved you but..." She sighed sadly. "Well, as I said, here we are now, ten years later. Ten years lost."

Finishing my roll-up, I flicked it into the nearby bin and contemplated what to say next. "I thought she'd have moved on. Found a fella. Marriage. House. Kids. You know, settled down."

"She wants that but only with you, John. As I said, she's lived in hope ever since the day after."

"Does anything think what I did was a little drastic?"

"Maybe at first, but it was obvious she broke your heart. Trust me, no-one blames you for anything."

"I've been with others, Vicki."

"How many?"

"Only two. Both were relationships. Again, I got on with my life believing the previous part was well and truly over."

"I think she'd be rather understanding about that." She looked me up and down. "Only two, in that uniform?"

"Casual or meaningless sex never appealed. Another reason that her request was a dagger. Throwing away what we had so she could sleep with some random bloke on holiday?" I took a moment to gather my memories. "Anyway, I was with Steph for nearly four years. My two other relationships were in France. Vivienne for two years, Chloe for four years."

"Never got serious enough to marry either of them?"

"No, as they wanted me to give up my career. The only reason I gave it up and I'm here now is that I'd given ten years of service and was ready to come home. I missed this place."

"We should head back inside, John."

"You go first. I'll be back in a minute."

Leaving a soft kiss on my cheek, she whispered, "Do you still love her?" After I nodded, she added, "Then just tell her. She broke your heart for a very stupid reason. Hers has been shattered for ten years. You belong together, John. You know that in your heart. Forgive her for being a foolish young woman. We've all made mistakes in our lives. She's paid for hers the last decade."

Victoria stood up and walked back inside. I waited a couple of minutes before placing the green beret back on my head, stood and smoothed down my uniform, before wandering back inside to the function room. A few people were at the bar but most were now sat down to start the dinner service. Ordering a brandy from the bar, having picked up a liking for it while in France, I knocked it back slowly before I turned to gaze over the tables.

Striding towards the one I wanted, I met the eyes of everyone. Curiosity. A little fear. But one set of eyes looked at me with a mixture of lust, desire and love. A look I remembered seeing every day for many years while growing up. Removing my beret, I cleared my throat. "May I have this dance, Miss McGregor?"

There was no music playing, but I walked to her chair and offered my hand. Her hand was smaller, smooth skin compared to the larger, callused hands I'd been left with, escorting her to the dancefloor. Gazing up into my eyes, hers were glistening, her cheeks rather rosy before she rested her head against my chest, wrapping m arms around her in return. Humming a tune, we slowly swayed around the dancefloor. Very quickly, a slow song started to play, but no-one else joined us. This was our moment.

"I'm..."

I shushed her immediately. "Talk later. Let's just enjoy the moment," I whispered. I felt her start to shake in my arms after a couple of minutes, caressing her hair before lifting her chin to leave a soft kiss on her forehead. "Lots to talk about," I added, just before the music started, "Do you still love me?"

"I never stopped for a single day for ten years, John."

"Nor did I," I finally admitted to myself, and to her. She was my first love. That's always special.

I kissed her and nothing else mattered in that moment. The last ten years disappeared in a blink for a few seconds. It was our end of year formal again and we were the only two that mattered. Opening my eyes as I pulled back slightly, her eyes continued to gaze into mine, lifting my hand to caress her cheek. Only then did we both hear the whoops and hollers, turning to the table where our friends were on their feet, applauding, as were a few other people, no surprise her three close friends were crying. Hugging her tightly, we continued swaying until the song ended.

"About fucking time, John!" Mark called out.

"Get a room, you two!" Victoria added.

"I want an invite to the wedding!" someone else called.

Stephanie hugged me tightly. I knew we needed a very long discussion. More than one, to be honest. But right now, it didn't matter. Resting her chin on my chest as she looked up at me, that smile I remembered so fondly, she said, "You look fit in your uniform. The Foreign Legion, John? Really?"

"Seemed like a good idea at the time."

Her hands ran up and down my biceps. "You feel strong. You're different."

I proved that by picking her up in my arms, making her squeal and giggle, as I carried her back to the table, gently placing her down in her chair. No surprise a spare chair was found for me so I could sit next to her. She immediately grabbed my hand, resting her head against my shoulder. Then she started to cry again, turning to hug her. "I'm going to do this all night," she murmured into my chest.

"Guess it's my turn to apologise," I said softly.

She leaned back and glared. "No. Never apologise. You have nothing to apologise for, John. Ever, ever, ever!"

"That's you told," Victoria said.

"But we do need to talk," Stephanie added, "About a lot of things. Particularly that morning and..."

"We don't have to. Vicki talked to me outside. I think I got the gist of everything."

"I know, but I need to get it off my chest. Cleanse myself of the demons, so to speak."

"Waited ten years for me?"

"I knew you'd come home," she replied quietly, "And I knew you'd never stop loving me."

"I didn't. Tried to convince myself more than once. I didn't know what would happen when I came back in here. Again, convinced myself I'd be stoic and emotionless. Clearly failed in that regard."

The food was as fantastic. The girls kept me up to date with what had been going on for ten years. Photos from their weddings. Photos of babies and now young children. Gathering that had taken place over the years. The three marriages were as strong as ever. But whenever there was a group shot, Stephanie was alone, surrounded by happy couples.

I felt guilty. That when she put her left hand on top of my right, ensuring the ring I'd bought her was prominent. "You were always there with me, John," she said softly.

"Once you two have sorted out your personal life, we need a barbecue," Mark suggested.

"Good idea. I guess I have some catching up to do with your wives, right?"

"We know enough, John," Cindy replied, "Just enough to keep Steph up to date, though we had no actual idea what you were doing."

"No-one did. I told everyone I was an engineer, not that I was serving with the Foreign Legion."

"Why not?" Stephanie wondered.

"Didn't want the folks to sit and worry whenever I found myself deployed overseas. Plus, I get to wear this really cool uniform and know quite a few eyes are on me right now." I turned to Stephanie. "What do you think?"

"You're really fucking fit now, John. You just picked me up like I was nothing."

"You get used to lifting much heavier things in the Engineering Regiment."

"So you speak French?" she asked.

"Oui." Playfully slapping my shoulder, she suggested I try something else. I took her hand in mine as I turned towards her. "Tu es toujours la plus belle femme du monde, Stéphanie. Je n'ai jamais cessé de t'aimer. Peu importe comment j'ai essayé. Toutes les femmes que j'ai rencontrées, je les ai comparées � toi."

"What did you say?" she whispered. I leaned forward and whispered into her ear the translation. As soon as I finished, her arms wrapped around me as she sobbed. I shuffled forward and hugged her in return. "I didn't deserve to hear that. Not after..."

"I've let the anger go, Steph. I did a long time ago. I just thought tonight would be awkward if you were here with some other bloke."

"You were the only one for me, John. I'm so sorry."

"I know. And I'm sorry too. How I reacted by just running away..."

"No. I hurt you more than I could have ever realised. I was so stupid. Can you forgive me?"

Leaning back, I wiped her cheeks clear of her tears before I kissed her again. By the time we broke apart, we were alone at the table, noticing our friends had gone to the bar. "I do wholeheartedly, but in the end, there's nothing to forgive, Steph. We were eighteen at the time. We might be considered adults, but even mature adults make mistakes. Big mistakes. Sometimes life-changing mistakes. And Vicki told me why you suggested it, and you quickly understood how it hurt. Plus, I understand you got a dressing down from our friends."

"I've had so many regrets about what I said that morning. I missed you by only an hour by the time you'd left home. When your parents told me you'd gone the airport..."

"Did you chase after me?" She blushed before I added, "But I didn't tell anyone where I was going anyway. Only my parents even knew I was in France." I stood up and offered my hand. "Come on, let's grab a drink and then dance like we did last time we were at something like this."

Gripping my hand tightly, I escorted her to the bar. Unsure as to what her favourite tipple was nowadays, she was happy to sip at a glass of wine while I asked for a bourbon and coke. It was something I'd sipped at when younger. They had it in France, but I received looks like I was some philistine if I didn't enjoy a glass of wine or something local. She didn't let go of my hand, but I had to ask, "The ring?"

"I want to keep it, John. A reminder of four wonderful years together." She paused before adding softly, "Yes, by the way. Absolutely, categorically, one hundred percent yes."

"I know," I said softly, "But maybe one day in the future, I can do it properly?"

"I'll wait for as long as you need, John. As long as you don't disappear again." I was going to retort with something that would have dampened the mood. She seemed to realise that straight away. "You're my man, John. I wanted you forever then. I still want that today, tomorrow and every day until we're both old, grey and loopy."

We spent the rest of the night dancing. If we did stop dancing, we walked hand in hand back to the bar to buy a drink or to take a seat back at our table. Other than that, we danced, and the only people who dared cut in were our friends. When I ended up dancing with Victoria, she put her chin on my shoulder as we swayed. "Please tell her that you love her, John," she whispered.

"Vicki, I look at her now and... Ten years... I'm not sure know how to feel..."

"She's always loved you, John. For over ten years... You were all that mattered. You were her dream. You were the one she would wait for."

"Are you sure?" I whispered into her ear.

"Invite her home tonight. Not for you know what. Just to be together. Trust me, in a week..."

"Would she really..." Victoria leaned back and practically glared at me. That answered my question. But I also felt like a teenager. Victoria took my hand in hers. "John, she will follow you wherever you go. Please..." I noticed tears started to trickle down her cheeks. "We're all happy in our lives. Our best friend has waited until now. Please, John. Make her happy. Place the smile on her face we all remember from ten years ago."

Sighing, Victoria placed her hands on my shoulders, noticing Cindy and Jane stood next to her. "Do you love her?" Victoria asked.

"She never stopped loving you," Cindy added, "As soon as she realised..."

"She's waited ten years, John," Jane stated, "If that doesn't convince you..."

The three stood in front of me while Stephanie was at the bar. I answered with a smile by the time she returned with a drink. I drank mine quickly, wrapping a hand around her waist, leaving a soft kiss on her lips. I hadn't thought much about it, but the smile she returned, and her body language...

"Want to come home with me?" I asked.

"What about..."

I put a finger to her lips. "They'll either be asleep and it won't a problem. Or they're awake and..." I paused and pulled her closer. "I don't want to sleep alone tonight, Steph."

Her lower lip trembled. Her eyes glistened as they gazed into mine. "I don't want to either."

"Then you're coming back to mine."

I'm sure she had a million and one questions, half about my family. But in that moment, nothing else mattered. I knew we had to talk about quite a few things but I'd missed her, as much as I'd still loved her. As for Stephanie, I had a feeling she was doing her best to control her emotions. Even after ten years, I remembered certain things about her.

As the night slowly wound down and people starter to depart, nearly everyone stopping to shake my hand, amazed and surprised I was still alive at the very least, many impressed by my uniform with questions about where I'd been. By the time the music stopped and the lights were switched on, it was a reminder of times from long ago. The eight of us together, chatting, laughing, enjoying life. The other three couples had organised transport.

Turning to Stephanie, she was again nervous. So I didn't waste the opportunity. "I'll organise a taxi. We'll stop at your home..."

"I still live with Mum and Dad," she whispered.

"And then you'll come to mine."

She burst into tears again. Everyone left the table so I could comfort her. She was still weeping as I led her outside, knowing we had a short wait for the taxi I'd organised. Once it arrived, she took my hand, grabbing it ever so tightly, gently demanding I sit in the back seat with her. The journey from the city wasn't short, but Stephanie took no more than five minutes to pack herself a small bag before she returned to the taxi. Arriving at my home, I paid the driver and led the way to the front door.

"Steph..."

"It's okay, John. I know I might not receive the warmest of welcomes."

Despite the early hour, Mum and Dad were still awake, I guess waiting for me to get home. When they saw Stephanie by my side, our hands quite clearly holding each other, it took all of five seconds before Mum hugged her tightly. "Welcome home, child," Mum whispered. As soon as she hugged Dad and she was standing next to me, my parents met my eyes and smiled.

"Guess you have a lot to talk about?" Dad asked.

"We do," Stephanie replied, "I was young and stupid. I never... I need to tell him why first before anyone else."

"Well, I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I always believe you two belonged together," Mum said, "I'm glad you're here."

Mum and Dad hugged us both again before heading to bed. Leading Stephanie to my room, she placed her bag on the bed before turning to me. "I need a shower. Do you want one?" I asked.

"I could do with a quick wash before bed."

"I'll grab you a towel. Ladies first, of course."

The house hadn't changed and she remembered where everything was. Standing in the doorway as she turned on the shower, I helped unzip her dress, noticing she wasn't wearing a bra underneath it. Holding it up, she turned back and asked, "Want to join me? It'll save water."