Leofric and Godiva Pt. 03

Story Info
Leofric and Godiva reunite after a fall from her horse.
7.5k words
4.85
4.7k
5

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 06/22/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Godiva groaned, the foul taste in her mouth almost as bad as the pounding in her head. She put her arm over her eyes to shield out the morning light cutting in through the bedcurtains. The door of the chamber opened and she heard the soft footsteps of Astrid, bringing breakfast and from the smell, some mint tea. "Good mornin', milady... h-hope ye slept well," she said, nervously. Why was Astrid nervous? Godiva wondered. The curtains whisked open and when she could bear to open her eyes to the bright morning light, she saw the cause.

Standing at the foot of her bed, with his arms crossed and his jaw set was Sir Hulgar, who had obviously been standing there for some time. Godiva reached under her sleep veil and rubbed her eyes, then reached for the mint tea, sipping and swishing it around in her mouth before swallowing. "Will you be needin' the staff again, t'day, milady? I can bring it when I come back to help you dress," Astrid said, glancing frequently to where Sir Hulgar stood glaring at Godiva.

"No, thank you Astrid," she said, sipping more tea. "I'm feeling quite better. Hurry back. We'll be going to the market today, and Sir Hulgar and I won't be talking for long," she said, matching the fierce knight's gaze.

"Yes, milady," Astrid said, curtsying as she left the room.

"What shall we discuss this morning, Sir Hulgar?" she asked, refilling her cup. "Tea?" she offered.

Sir Hulgar's expression darkened. "No, my Lady. I'd be more interested in knowing what you had to drink last night that had Sir Leofric bringing you home at crack of dawn..." he said.

Godiva's eyes sparked, suspecting Sir Hulgar knew exactly what she had drunk... and where she was when she drank it. It was not the first time her knight protector had secretly arranged for a hasty unconscious departure for a potential suitor of hers, which was one of the reasons she had gone to Leofric's room last night. She would get rid of Leofric in her own way and in her own time.

"Not that it is any concern of yours, Sir Hulgar, but I held counsel with Sir Leofric at the Minxy Mare last night. I believe I drank some honeyed mead, though very little. Perhaps the drink was stronger than I anticipated," she said, as if she and Leofric had spent a perfectly proper evening together in the Minxy Mare's common room. "Are there any other ways you wish to question your mistress about her activities?" she asked, pointing out his impropriety.

"Forgive your humble servant, your Ladyship, but I am charged with your protection," Sir Hulgar said, grinding out a tone that in no way even approached humility. "Sir Leofric said he suspected the drink was tainted... that you might have been gravely ill or even dead if you had taken more of it," Hulgar said, still pressing the issue.

"Well then... I suppose we must be grateful that Sir Leofric is an honorable man, and saw me safely cared for whilst I was ill," Godiva responded. She would have laughed if the situation were different. She had forbidden Hulgar from interfering with her suitors, because after a mild dose of dwale, the last one had wandered and fallen into the broken well and was later rescued with a broken arm. Now, Hulgar could not accuse her of being improperly in Leofric's room without also admitting he had violated her orders by drugging Leofric's mead.

"It is also said that Sir Leofric briefly brought the Lady Godiva to jail last night," Sir Hulgar said, nearly shaking with the unsaid words inside him.

Godiva had long suspected Hulgar knew about her double life, but had not prevented it, as long as she carefully maintained her safety and the necessary secrecy for her life as the Lady Godgifu. Indeed, waking up in the jail cell had shaken her to her core. She knew that discovery of her activities could very well lead to a gruesome death at the hands of the townsfolk, much less at the King's hands. The people would do it not only out of outrage, but also out of fear of God's retribution. Hulgar was right to be furious with her about this. "Well... I guess we have even more reason to be grateful to Sir Leofric, then," she said quietly.

"One hopes the Lady Godiva has learned her lesson. Surely, after this, we will see no more of her skullduggery," Hulgar said, moving his eyes back to her at length.

Godiva looked down at her breakfast tray, feeling tears well in her eyes. The thought of never tasting the freedom of her other life again, of only living within the narrow constraints of Lady Godgifu's shroud... it didn't feel like a life at all. "One hopes..." she answered, wiping the tears off her cheeks.

Suddenly, Astrid rushed into the room, nearly beside herself with excitement, "Milady! Sir Leofric... the handsome one... he left, but he was here askin' after yer health!" she bubbled, bouncing in place. "And ye know what he's brought? Flowers!" she squealed.

Godiva sighed. "Very well, please ready a vase with water... unless you wished to press them, Sir Hulgar?" she asked, watching his eyes narrow even more at her.

"Milady...?" Astrid asked, confused, watching Sir Hulgar and her mistress glare at each other.

"Never mind Astrid, it seems Sir Hulgar doesn't want Sir Leofric's flowers. I will take them here, instead," Godiva said.

"Y-yes, milady," Astrid said, and after a final glare and short bow, Sir Hulgar followed.

Godiva slipped out of bed and went to the window that looked out over Coventry. It was becoming obvious that the people wanted her to marry again, the women did, at least. People always felt more secure with a man leading them, but was Leofric the right alliance for her? The wrong alliance would lead to more strife, more positioning, and possibly violent intervention from a new king that needed money and an army, since King Cnut had sent his own conquering forces home to Denmark, rather than continue to pay them. Many Lords had come to Coventry since her husband died, seeking to counsel her, romance her, and even rape her into a marriage. She was altogether too rich, too powerful and too female to be left to herself. She was a walking political opportunity for any ambitious man.

It was Sir Hulgar who had, in the early days, guided her to her present course of remaining a pious widow, loyal to her late husband, and devoted to and beloved by her people. It was not all a lie. She did love her people. She loved watching their children grow, making sure no one went uncared for, celebrating life with them, and even following their gossip and petty grudges. Still, it made her lonely. She was an inspiration to them, but not one of them. She couldn't be... because she couldn't risk them learning she was as human as they were. A woman couldn't be a human being and still lead them.

If she went by the criteria of the women of Coventry, she should marry Leofric for his handsome face and finely shaped ass. That was all well and good, but doing so would mean forming an alliance with King Cnut, who had done more harm than good in all of Mercia. Why had Cnut sent Leofric to her, anyway? Did the King think she was so stupid as to willingly fall into a marriage with a man who could set her heart racing with just a look?

After the murder of his brother Northman, Leofric could even have been sent to Coventry in hopes that he would be killed, as many tax collectors in other towns had been. An escalation from stealing pants to murder of the tax collectors would give King Cnut a perfect excuse to come in force and destroy the town again, leaving not one stone upon another, setting an example to other defiant places in the realm.

She couldn't marry with any of the other lords of counties that withheld their taxes, either, or it would be seen as a growing rebellious force to be destroyed. Leofric was right... her current situation had become dangerous, not only to herself, but to her people.

If she paid the taxes, it might buy her some time. Then again, it might just whet the King's appetite for their riches, and the power and stability that came with it. Who is to say he wouldn't simply take their offering and then raise their taxes, assuming that if Coventry was willing to pay a little, they could be made to pay a lot. She couldn't jeopardize her people like that.

She needed to know more about who she was dealing with. Was King Cnut a man of honor, or just another foreign marauder trying to drain her country of its resources for as long as he could hold on to the throne? There was only person in town who could give her more information... and from what she could see, the damn fool was currently climbing onto the roof of The Minxy Mare.

*** *** ***

"What are you doing up there?"

Leofric suppressed a smile and pretended not to hear the dismayed voice, continuing to inspect the thatching that had gone bad, allowing water to leak down into the rooms Talbot showed him. He would have to take out the rotted portions and install new thatching, at the very least. Hopefully the supporting wooden beams below the thatching remained sound and had not developed rot.

"Sir Leofric! Get down from there! Do you want to break your neck?"

Leofric, still pretending to be oblivious to the voice, thought about the question. Does anyone ever really want to break their neck? Did she expect that the roof would somehow fix itself? Perhaps, she would prefer one of her besotted townsfolk take the job of climbing the tall ladder precariously leaning against the steep roof. From the looks of it, no one in town had been brave enough to do the job in a while.

"Sir Leofric! Her Ladyship addresses you!" a man's voice now yelled up to him.

Leofric looked down and feigned surprise at seeing Brother Phillip and his bread cart next to his lovely little veiled mistress who looked like she was pacing around in distress and wringing her hands. "Good morrow, Brother Phillip! What say you?" Leofric called down unnecessarily loudly, drawing the attention of the townsfolk nearby in the market.

"I... I said, 'Her Ladyship addresses you!'" Brother Phillip repeated.

"Aha! No, good brother! These came from Rose Morgan! Her Ladyship sent my clothing back to London! I was glad to be rid of them, though, too foppish by far! I really should write to the King before he receives them without me, though, and assumes the worst! It would be a tremendous scandal at court if word spread that Her Ladyship was keeping me here naked as her hostage!" Leofric yelled, doing his best to keep his voice steady. It became even more difficult as he saw numerous people in the marketplace below hunch over in muffled laughter.

"NO, SIR LEOFRIC! I SAID, 'HER LADYSHIP ADDRESSES YOU!!!'" Brother Phillip said, cupping his hands to his mouth.

"Ohhh! Forgive me, Brother Phillip! I am so close to heaven up here, that when I heard her voice, I must have thought the angels were singing to me!" he replied. "Pray, what gentle words does Her Ladyship grace me with, this fine morn?" he called down, prying up a bundle of rotted thatch to examine the wood beneath.

Brother Phillip leaned his head down to hear Lady Godgifu. Leofric chuckled inwardly when the priest flinched and then paused, as if to rephrase her harshly-worded message, "Her Ladyship is distressed and begs, um... that you would climb down from that high perch, lest tears of fright she be shedding!" the priest called up, avoiding looking down at Lady Godgifu as he did.

As he listened, Leofric canted his head, frowned, and then brightened, "Well yes, of course! What an honor! I would be delighted to dance every dance with Her Ladyship at the Miller girl's wedding, but I am already promised to Maida and Little Anne, as well, so tell Her Ladyship she musn't be too greedy!" Leofric called down, looking under his arm, even more delighted to see Lady Godgifu's tiny gloved hands clench in to fists.

Brother Phillip leaned down and began repeating the message to Lady Godgifu, but stopped short upon realizing she'd heard it quite well for herself. Leofric watched Lady Godgifu impart yet another message to Brother Phillip, pointing her gloved finger emphatically at the ground several times and stomping her foot, as she did. Brother Phillip swallowed nervously and considered his words again. "Her Ladyship insists that you come down from there immediately! She says she will not have the King coming down upon our heads in wrath when you fall and break your neck!" Brother Phillip yelled.

By now, the faces of most of the people in the marketplace were craning their necks to see and hear all they could of the ridiculous conversation, eager for the next parry. Leofric turned and smiled down warmly on them, "That is most kind! Tell Her Ladyship that I would love to picnic with her, today! Right now, I am most engaged with Mr. Talbot's roof, but perhaps this afternoon? I am so heartened that Her Ladyship is warming to me!" he called down, turning back to examining the roof.

Suddenly, a crabapple went whizzing by his head and Leofric looked down to see Brother Phillip standing stunned and open-mouthed. Then, he subtly pointed at Lady Godgifu who was bent over gathering more tart projectiles to pelt at him. At length, after noticing, to her horror, that she had the attention of most of the marketplace, she dropped the crabapples gathered in her skirt, brushed her hands off, and hurried away.

*** *** ***

"Ooooh, 'es a cheeky one, no doubt... I never seen Her Ladyship so riled up!"

"Did you see 'er stomp 'er foot like tha'? I swear, she was like to kick that ladder out from under 'im by the end if the friar--"

"Aye, tha one'll be lucky he don't end up in a cart of shite bumpin' back to London..."

"Nay, 'er Ladyship's not so hard as that... she's a gentlewoman, she is. Not lessen 'e press 'er too hard and Sir 'ulgar step in, she jus sit there kind 'n quiet behind 'er veil 'til 'e take the hint an go 'way. There's naught like a saint to make a man's blood cool... and a fine man like tha' won't go without comp'ny for long, 'e won't..."

Godiva ears still rang with all the town's gossip, and after this morning at the marketplace, it seemed there was nowhere she could go to escape the talk.

After hurrying from her embarrassment at the market, Godiva had continued her usual rounds and went to Martha's house to bring her some bread and see how the boil on her foot was healing. No sooner had she brought Martha a cup of tea, than her niece Miriam came bursting into the small house recounting the tale. After a yelp from Miriam, and a sudden uncomfortable silence, Godiva wished Martha well and continued on her way.

As the day wore on, the rampant gossip turned into subtle and not-so-subtle advice from the people she visited.

"Aye, y'know a man likes a little encouragement now and again, if he is to be made bold," Maida said, pulling a bit of yarn loose from where Godiva sat with coils of it wrapped around her hands.

"Yes, well, I encouraged him to get off the ladder... and the last thing that man needs is more boldness," Godiva said, wishing it didn't feel like her wrists were bound and she was a captive to the conversation. "At any rate, for me, it is not as simple as liking or encouraging a man. What I want seldom matters... I need to do what is right for my people," she said quietly. "Whomever I marry... if I ever marry again... he will be their Lord. He will decide our alliances, he will defend us or make us into slaves. What if I choose the wrong man?" she asked, watching Maida's needles twirl in the air and twist the yarn around them.

"Ye have a lot on yer shoulders, 'tis true. I've seen you come into yourself over the years, though. It wasn't right, you bein' pushed into bein' a lord when you'd been taught only to be a lady. A lady is made for harder choices than lords, though. A lord decides what's worth his people dyin' for, but a lady... she has to make choices she has to keep living for. When yeh consider a man, or a gentleman in your case milady, think of the choices you'll need to live with and not the piddly wars these lords always get themselves into. Remember your job is to bring life... to him, to us, to your children, and to you. Where will life come from if naught from you? Choose your life well when it gives you the chance, m'dear," Maida said, her cloudy eyes looking at Godiva's as if they could see straight through her veils into her heart. Forlorn, she just listened to the soft clicking of Maida's knitting for a while before putting the yarn down in a circle around the fat cat sleeping at her feet. Giving the old woman a kiss on the cheek, she went on her way to the church.

Upon entering the narthex, and lighting a candle, Godiva jumped when a voice spoke out of nowhere, "Your Ladyship, so good to see you again, as always," Reverend Palmer said, bowing low with a palm to his heart.

"Good day, Reverend... I hope you are well?" Godiva said, craning her head to look around the sanctuary and make sure they were alone. She didn't want to give people even more to gossip about, today. If she wasn't careful, word would spread that she was in here planning her wedding.

"How can a man of God be not well when he has such a visitor?" Reverend Palmer said, twinkling his eyes at her. "I wish I could say as much for the roof of the church, for it has seen better days. I thought to engage Sir Leofric after he had completed work at The Minxy Mare, but I heard you were violently against such things," he said, his mirth barely concealed.

Godiva groaned and trudged into the sanctuary and settled defeatedly into the nearest pew. "Eric... he just gets under my skin and..." she trailed off, clutching her hands in front of her as if strangling someone far taller than her. The priest came forward and gently pressed her hands downward, gently taking one in his own.

It was little known that the young veiled bride Lord Wilfred had brought to Coventry had an older cousin that had become a man of the cloth. After the war and her husband's death, no one questioned it when she brought the Reverend Eric Palmer to fill the post of shepherd to Coventry's sheep. Unlike many of his profession, however, her cousin believed that folk were already well aware of the wages of their sins and instead he sought to bring them closer to God and each other by also teaching them of His love and forgiveness.

"And yet, against all odds, Sir Leofric remains in Coventry," Reverend Palmer said, sitting down lightly next to her. "Our Lord remained dead three days, but no suitor of yours has remained in Coventry so long... until now. Either Sir Hulgar is growing soft, or... you actually like this one."

"What does it matter? You know I can't marry him. He's the King's choice, so most of the men in town would be up in arms about that. His family name is questionable at best because of the business with Northman, so half the landed gentry would hesitate to do business with us after that," she fretted.

"Northman was Sir Leofric's brother?" Reverend Palmer said, looking troubled. "Lord Northman was a good man. In everything I knew and heard of him, he was the finest of men. After his death, none of what was said about him being in league with Eadric the Acquisitive made any sense. Eadric was a snake and everyone knew it. How... how did you hear Leofric was family to Northman?"

Godiva seemed to shrink smaller under her veil, remaining silent. "Ah..." Reverend Palmer said, clasping his hands in his lap and studying them. "Cousin, if the man has shown you his heart, it is not kind to treat him with deceit or to give him false hope. You are better than that. If you don't want him, you need to tell him so, at once," he said, covering her clasped hands with one of his.

"It... it doesn't matter what I want, Eric..."

"Yes, yes... so I've heard. For what, then, do you pray, Lady Godgifu?"

Her throat tightened, "For everyone's health and happiness," she choked.