Lesbian Vampire Ch. 02 - That Which Haunts You

Story Info
Multi-chapter. Vampire & witch solve a crime. Sapphiccly.
10k words
4.75
5.7k
20

Part 2 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/13/2023
Created 06/10/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is Chapter 2 of a multi-chapter sapphic vampire fantasy story. I chose Lesbian Vampire (working title) because titles are hard. Some readers had already followed the story (thank you!) and I just made a whole mess. So in the interest of ease I'm keeping the filler title but it's got real one now. Yay!

**************************

A few things: there is sexy content but we have not yet reached explicit sex. I SWEAR I'll get there and will announce it at the top of each new chapter for those who want to get right to the point.

A massive thank you to editor bh01, who has been a godsend to this unwieldy story, a wonderful motivator, and endlessly patient. (https://www.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=5536397&page=bio).

And another massive thank you to editor Cortney Davis- you have a fantastic eagle eye and have also been so patient with my nonsense.

And thank you reader!

**************************

Laying in her bed, Rhea closed her eyes and ran her finger across her forehead to soothe an errant, pulsing tendon. A foolish hope rose within her- maybe she could just forget all about this. Maybe it was just a strange dream about a strange being that had burrowed their way deep into the belly of her mind.

But this wasn't just any being- this was a vampire. And the dream might be a symptom of the thrall.

Rhea checked her phone and saw she had overslept. She slid out of bed and shivered as her feet touched the threadbare rug atop the cold stone floor. It had been years since she settled at the Center but she had never adapted to the draftiness of the place. The founders built the place like a convent; though it has been restored and expanded over generations it never shed the aesthetic. Although the interior stone walls surrounding dark wood beams gave the building a peaceful mediterranean quality, they did little to break the cold morning air of the California coast.

She retrieved her bra slung over a chair and scrambled to find something quick to wear that she could also teach in. Her one class today started soon and she needed some time to think. She pulled off her satin hair wrap and shook out her dense black curls. She grabbed a spray bottle to mist her hair. She decided Kivan would be her best first step. Though he might wind her up, after Greta he was the most knowledgeable witch on the island and unlikely to gossip. She froze as she recalled the concerned looks of Rachel and Daniela.

They had seen the impact the vampire had on her and would have questions in the cold light of day. Unavoidable questions, she thought; an enthralled person was controlled by the vampire captor. Given the amount of ancient and priceless texts housed on the island, and the witches who lived here, one bad actor could cause unfathomable loss in a short amount of time. If Rachel or Daniela suspected a thrall they would be foolish not to take action. And soon. Already late, she would need to hurry to reach Kivan before the other two got to Greta. She grabbed her backpack on her way out and heard the lock click into place as she slammed the door behind her.

She hustled down the open air pathways between the clustered buildings that buffered the fierce sea winds. Consumed by her thoughts she nearly tripped over her feet as she approached the library, drawing the attention of two bystanders who had paused to admire the vine-draped archways. She recognized them as two of her visiting students and gave a hollow smile and charged up the stairs.

She reached the library and locked the door tight. Kivan, sat before another decrepit book, looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "Excuse me?" he asked, sardonic. Rhea slammed her hands down on the counter and looked at Kivan, who recoiled at the wildness in her eyes. "I've been afflicted," she hissed.

Kivan cocked his head in confusion and asked, "With what?"

Rhea exhaled, "So you remember that urgent meeting with Greta? Well, it turns out a witch was killed and it looks like a vampire did it." Kivan nodded; it was hard to keep things quiet in a small town. "So Greta sent us to the hotel where she was killed, to see if the murderer was still hanging around. There were vampires in the club, and one of them..." Rhea felt her lungs constrict at the memory of the long black lines of the vampire's fine clothing draped atop her bony body and the wild crown of red curls. Kivan nodded as she spoke. "And one of them got me." The shame she had been keeping at bay now flooded her.

A small line between Kivan's brow emerged- concern that he struggled to keep neutral. "A vampire... fed on you?" Kivan questioned, and exhaled in relief when Rhea shook her head 'no.' She said, "It got me with it's thrall."

Kivan looked at her again, "What did they make you do?"

Rhea thought back, "I mean, she didn't make me do anything. It was more like, I couldn't get away. And I let her...touch me." Kivan raised his eyebrow. Rhea continued, "She like, scented my wrist." She drew her wrist to her nose, modeling the vampire but suspect she looked more silly than beguiling. "Then what happened?" Kivan asked. She continued, "Rachel found me and that broke the thrall."

"How did she break it?" Kivan asked.

"Well, nothing magickal; she was yelling my name and I remembered where I was and it just broke." "Hmm," he said, noncommittal, "what did the vampires want from you?"

She waived a hand dismissively, "Oh, they weren't there for us, they were feeding on drunks."

"So why was she talking to you?" asked Kivan. "There was a drunk guy bothering me and she scared him off." Rhea shuddered, remembering the ease with which the vampire took control of her harasser with mere suggestion.

"So this is what I'm hearing," Kivan replied, "A vampire hit on you at the club. A lesbian vampire."

"Oh, my mistake," Rhea retorted, "I actually didn't think to ask her sexuality, or her pronouns for that matter, but I think that's besides the point." Her voice was laced with irritation. Kivan did not seem to be taking this seriously at all, nor did he acknowledge the saltiness of her response. "But she helped you?" he asked.

"She tried to enthrall me!" she snapped. Kivan sighed and said, "That's what they do. We don't like it, but that's what they do. That's why we train to block it. To be in control of our own thoughts and emotions so we are free from the power of manipulation. And from what I'm hearing, it worked: you shook it off."

Rhea considered his words carefully. Which forced her to recall the pleasant sensations of intrigue that flooded her as she looked into the vampire's eyes. The memory alone made her feel lit from within for a moment and she pushed it away. "I guess I've never felt a thrall this strong before."

Kivan raised his brow, "Miss Rhea, are you telling me you were... humbled?"

"Fuck off," she huffed as she surpressed a smile. "No, no, I'm serious," Kivan countered, "Did the great and powerful Rhea, faced with the limits of her own power, come crashing down to earth?"

"Shut up. Learning blocking was never hard for me." Rhea responded. Kivan asked "It's weird, right? The thrall?"

"Yeah," Rhea nodded. "It's like I can't stop thinking about her. But that's not the worst part."

"Oh?" Kivan asked.

Rhea exhaled, "I had a dream. Last night. After we got back."

"What kind of dream?" he asked flatly.

"There wereCANDLES" she hissed.

Kivan continued carefully, "I only ask because thrall dreams are different from...your average dream." Rhea looked at him intently. "You've never been affected by a vampire thrall because you took to necromancy quick. The problem when it's just words in a text and not something you live and feel: you forget when it really matters."

Rhea eyed him but listening quietly, "Remember, thrall dreams feel different. They're confusing. And fitful." Kivan puffed his chest and adopted a blustery tone in the way he always did when quoting a text from memory, "The target driven to insomnia; lured to their dreams by an infernal urge but terrified to close their eyes." He dropped back to his natural voice to say, "I wouldn't recommend it, personally. But that's besides the point. So this dream of yours: was it confusing and terrifying and you found yourself afraid to close your eyes? Or did you get a full night of sleep and just had a sex dream?"

"Oh." Rhea said, more to herself than Kivan.

Kivan looked at her in a way she could not decipher and said, "Go talk to Greta. Tell her a vampire tried it and you think you got away. But maybe you still want her to do her thing and see if there's still any vampire stink left in your system. If there is, it's a thrall. If not- maybe do some journaling or something. Figure out what's going on inside that head of yours. Before tomorrow tonight when you go see a bunch of vampires."

Rhea rolled her lips between her teeth and bit down. He added, "So you got the hots for a vampire. It happens to all of us, no big deal. It's what they do"

Rhea sighed and said "I guess I need to talk to Greta."

Kivan looked at her sympathetically. "The foundation of all magick is to know yourself, first and foremost." he said. "When you hide parts that are too painful to see, little bits of your magick go with them. Make it a habit, and soon you've hidden your power, with no idea how to find it."

"Yeah, yeah," Rhea responded as she rubbed her eyes with her hands. "This is fine. This isn't weird at all," she said, faltering; she was not eager to discuss a sex dream with Greta. "Oh, and before you go," Kivan hopped off his stool to grab a text and a couple of battered, well-used duplicates. "For your classes. To help the students better understand the wisdom behind tradition." Rhea reached for the materials but before she could thank him he added "Two of your students came by, just before you."

"Really?" said Rhea, recalling the two familiar faces she saw downstairs after she tripped on her own feet, "what did they want?" He answered, "they were asking about copying rituals out of the texts, to take back to their coven."

"Hmm," she responded. The texts housed at the Center were fragile and required stringent preservation; they were works created across generations. Many were simply the handwritten notes of witches past. Visiting students were also told the rituals were dangerous out of context. Even the witches who had dedicated themselves to the Center had to complete rigorous study training years before accessing the texts directly.

"I told them to talk to you. They were fine about it." Kivan added.

"I have a class in a bit," she responded, checking the time on her phone for good measure. "I'll chat with them then."

Kivan nodded and his eyes fell back to the text before him as she sailed out the door. She needed to find Greta. Sunshine reflected off white walls and the turquoise sea that could be seen from the highest points of the Center, atop the steep natural terrain of the island. Rhea knew not to trust these pseudo-summer intervals that dotted the California winter. They lured the weather-averse into complacency only to follow with days of rain.

As she approached Greta's office, she found her a small courtyard with Rachel and Daniela. Upon spotting Rhea, Rachel popped up from her seat on the slatted bench and called her over. Rhea walked into the courtyard, buffered by beds of rose bushes that had been left jagged and headless canes after they were pruned for winter. Danela watched with concerned eyes and Greta looked at her sternly.

"You were enthralled?" Greta demanded.

Rhea swallowed, trying to appear composed "I, I think I was."

"What do you mean you think?" she snapped. Daniela twitched. "Christ, Greta." Rachel said, exasperated. Greta's eyes cut to Rachel, "Excuse me?" I just learned one of the most dedicated- and trusted-" she added with acid emphasis, "witches was enthralled. And I didn't learn this from her, oh no. I learned this from her colleagues."

Rachel winced and turned to Rhea, "Sorry babe, we told her. In all fairness, I tried to find you first. Also you're shit at texting back." Rhea glanced at the litany of missed-text notifications that flashed across the screen of her phone and grimaced. "Sorry Greta," she managed. "I was coming to talk to you right now. I was just a little freaked out. A drunk man tried to punch me and the vampire stopped him. She didn't know I was a necromancer." Greta's eyes softened with concern.

"I didn't know that part," Rachel interjected. "I just saw her holding Rhea's wrist."

"I had never felt the thrall like that before. Whenever we've practiced blocking, I could feel the magick itself but it never affected me. I think I just freaked out." Rhea said. Greta closed her eyes as she inhaled. "Well," she said, "Let this be a lesson- you can never tell the strength and power of a vampire on sight. No matter how strong you believe yourself to be, never underestimate them. They use your weaknesses against you." Rhea nodded. She could recite many of Greta's lectures from memory at this point.

"This is why we rely on ritual and tradition," Greta continued, "It's for your protection and the protection of the Center.

"I'll learn from this Greta. I swear." insisted Rhea but the old woman seemed fraught with tension as she answered, "and there must be transparency. Honesty. Even if it's painful. Vampire's exert their power through secrecy." She concluded with an exhale, "but I'm glad you're safe."

Rhea, relieved Greta seemed soothed, then asked, "Can you try to see if any of the death magick is still in me?" Greta raised a brow, but stood. "Have you had any insomnia? Chills? Fever? Racing thoughts?" Rhea shook her head. Greta reached out to take her hands, and looked deep into Rhea's eyes. "Any strange dreams?" she asked.

"No." Rhea said, evenly. It was a half-truth; Kivan figured out it wasn't from the thrall and was there really anything strange about a sex dream, she reasoned.

Rhea held her palms up, as Greta cupped them in her own. She whispered into Rhea's palms and Rhea felt those words, first riding the old woman's breath, then up her arms. The spell took hold and rolled through Rhea's body. When Greta looked into her eyes, Rhea saw the old woman's pupils had blown wide, swallowing the blue of the iris and slowly stretching across the white. "I don't feel anything," Greta said, her magick evaporating in an instant. "But come find me if anything weird happens. Day or night." she finished.

"Of course, Greta." Rhea said.

"Now," Greta said to all three of them, "I know each of you are teaching today, and I assume class starts soon. The full moon ritual is tomorrow. Rhea, I know we've come to rely on you especially, but I wonder if it would be better for you to stay back."

Daniela gasped at the suggestion. Greta shot her a dirty look and said "As much as we value Rhea's contributions, we want you to be well. And besides," she said, more to Daniela than anyone, "if all of our strength is reduced to one person, there's not much point in all of us going, is there? Why do the whole thing as a group if we could just send Rhea?"

"Sorry, I just get really squicked out by vampires and Rhea makes me feel safe." Daniela said.

"Did you hear any of what I just said?" Greta snapped; Rhea could hear the frustration in her voice, "In managing vampires, you need trust in yourself and in the powers of all your colleagues-"

Daniela interrupted, "I do trust my colleagues, Rhea's just... a good fail safe." Although Rhea appreciated Daniela's confidence, hearing her ex talk about her in this way was uncomfortable. "It's ok," Rhea said, "I'm feeling ok. It's just my confidence is a little shaken. But I want to get back out there. I'm going tomorrow."

Greta looked at her skeptically, "Let's talk about this later." She walked back to her office with an even stride. Rachel looked at Rhea expectantly, Daniela with wide eyes. "It's fine, you guys, I swear. I was going to tell Greta myself, I was just so tired. I overslept and then came right here."

Another half-truth, Rhea noticed, as they separated.

Rhea's mind was weighed down. Greta valued honesty over all, especially in protecting the Center from outsiders. Greta would hate the half-truths outright, especially in the context of a vampire thrall.

Though it was early in the afternoon, Rhea could see the nearly full moon emerging in the sky, it's pale body hanging low over the horizon. Another reminder of the ritual to come. A quiet thrill rose within her followed by shame. But she had no time to entertain any of this, she thought, as she approached the meeting room. Her students, loitering along the open-air walkway, shifted as they saw her approach and joined the others waiting inside. The blue water still glittered under the high-noon sun. Suddenly, she was struck- she wasn't ashamed of what she had done. She was ashamed of what she wanted to do. The dream betrayed her lust for the vampire so she guarded it covetously, reveling in the thrill. How long had it been since she felt yearning for another person? It felt like nectar from forbidden fruit and it pained Rhea to think she would have to share it, to be dissected and examined.

She heard cheerful greetings from her students as they gathered into a circle, seated on dense cushions. Rhea joined them and smiled warmly. "Welcome back, everyone. Today we are going to do something different." A sea of grimaces followed; the earliest courses to initiate a witch into necromancy tended to be both tedious and terrifying. She could already sense the hesitation in their voices.

"While all of you are adept at your own practice, all of you are beginners in the magick of necromancy. Since you started here a few months ago, we've spoken of the cost to travel to the realm of the dead-you must first pass through the deepest parts of your own pain and terror. Only when you master these hidden parts of yourself can you then master the powers of death magick. As always, some of the cohort has fallen off; we hope one day they return. But you all have made it this far, and for that you should be proud."

The students around her smiled. She continued, "I've dedicated my life to necromancy and lived on this island for years now, studying the magick and teaching it to others who will carry on a bit of our tradition in their own work long after they return to their lives. So before we get to it, we're going to do something fun." The students around her shared furtive glances, collectively skeptical. "Honestly! Today I think we're ready to talk about the full moon ritual. I'm sure you've wondered about where almost all of us go the night of the full moon." Her students eyed her with interest but remained guarded, unconvinced she wasn't going to surprise them with some magick that invoked some deep existential terror.

The cold of the stone floor was beginning to seep into the cushion. Rhea shifted to try to angle her body into the slats of sunlight that stretched along the ground from the carved stone windows. "As I hope by now you all know, necromancy taps into the natural magick of death and beings of worlds beyond. With each generation, the witches who came before us recorded their work with magick across their long lifetimes and each witch that now devotes themselves to necromancy carries that torch-to know the magick at core. To use it to sustain the line for the witches who come after. To wield that power with reverence, and within the rhythm of life and death." She saw the students' eyes begin to glaze over, having been subjected to multiple speeches since they arrived. "In short," she said sharply to pull them back, "we use death magick because of it's incredible powers of transformation. Which leads me to a curious overlap: vampires."

Her students snapped to rapt attention and Rhea stifled a smile. She had yet to meet a witch who didn't have a cryptic interest in vampires. "Some call it a curse, some call it ascendance. The magick of death transforms a human being into a creature that lives between worlds, outside of the human rhythms of life and death." She looked across the faces of her students. "The forces of death flow through them and give them great power but at great cost; they must sacrifice their lives and bodies. They don't wield the powers of death, they embody it; without it, they don't exist. But," she paused for a moment for added drama, "Witches transcend death through devotion; we master the very death magick that keeps them alive."