Lewd Ascent - A Futa LitRPG Ch. 066-075

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Rosalie had, of course, seen through Zoey's question, had seen the real intent behind it. She reminded herself that Rosalie was a politician, or had, at a minimum, grown among them. She had called the place she'd been raised in the 'Highreach Court'. Zoey's clumsy nudging would be seen through every time. Or, maybe not every time—Rosalie did seem to have blind spots—but this occasion, at least, she had.

"They're wayfarers, right?"

"Indeed."

"And Charlotte? What's she like? Is she the 'heiress', being second oldest?"

Rosalie's lips pursed. "She was."

"Was?"

Rosalie's shoulders hunched forward, and there was a hint of bitterness when she replied. "Charlotte had the dedication, but she lacked the talent. That was my father's perspective, at least."

Ah. Zoey could tell in a glance this was a topic they shouldn't go down. Rosalie had ... what, taken her older sister's place as primary inheritor? She wanted to learn more about Rosalie, but not at the expense of souring the mood.

But still. That meant Rosalie, despite being the youngest, was the family heiress? It made sense, honestly. The way Rosalie acted suggested it. Zoey wasn't surprised at all.

"I'd talk about my family if I could," Zoey said. "But I can't, really. Some stuff is starting to trickle back, but not the specifics. Hazy pictures." She chewed her lip, then offered, "I think I had a brother?"

Rosalie glanced at her, concerned.

Zoey shrugged to dismiss the worry. "You don't have to tiptoe. The memory stuff is ... unfortunate ... but I guess I'm coming to terms with it."

She did, at least, have a guarantee from Ephy that once 'her purpose had been accomplished', her memories would be returned. Or, Ephy hadn't specified exactly when, had she? Not 'when Zoey finished saving the world', just a vague 'eventually'. Would her memories continue to solidify, passively, as they had been the past week? Until she remembered everything?

Zoey wished she could get that troublesome goddess into a room. She could use some clarification on her circumstances. For that matter, she didn't know what she was saving the world from. The only hint had been her date with Delta, that brief discussion of how the Fractures were 'decaying'. But that could just be some rumor, a group of crazies perpetuating it. Zoey's world had had plenty of those. Why not this one, too?

Probably not something to be musing over during a date.

"Well," Rosalie said, taking Zoey's reassurance at face value. "I suppose I am curious. Your random, unexplainable appearance into the shard I distinctly entered alone has been ... perplexing me. Have any details of that returned?"

Zoey paused, grimacing. Rosalie had gone straight for a hard-hitting question. "I know more about how it happened than I'm admitting," Zoey finally said, slowly. "Not that it was intentional, or expected, or even ... plausible." Maybe she shouldn't have used the last word, because it piqued Rosalie's interest. "But I guess I haven't organized how I want to talk about it, yet. I was talking more ... me, if you have questions." She shrugged. "Y'know. Date stuff."

Rosalie flushed, as if she'd been chided. Zoey hadn't meant it in that way.

"Right," Rosalie said, turning forward. "I suppose you wouldn't want to focus on ... all that. This isn't the time." She glanced away. "I'm not ... experienced at this."

"You? Inexperienced at dating? I never would have guessed."

Rosalie tensed, briefly, at Zoey's teasing, then relaxed. She met Zoey's gaze and rolled her eyes. "Yes, well. You've certainly chosen an interesting target of your affections. I'll admit I don't fully understand why."

That was a statement that had Zoey staggering. Rosalie didn't understand why Zoey would be interested in her?

"Yes," Zoey said dryly. "The gorgeous, caring, brilliant woman who saved my life. How did I ever—" fall for you, Zoey barely managed to strangle off, "take interest. An unsolvable mystery."

Rosalie flushed. She didn't reply, but her brief insecurity did seem to disappear.

They walked together for a while, traversing the crisscrossing bridges of Treyhull. Zoey squeezed Rosalie's hand, and she squeezed back. Zoey looked out across the sprawling landscape. Suspended thousands of feet into the air, she had a great vantage point. It was a good thing heights didn't make her dizzy.

"Almost there," Zoey said. "This should be the last bridge."

Rosalie hummed in acknowledgment. "What else do we have planned?"

"Feeding the ducks, a picnic, a surprise event, then dessert. I didn't want to pack the schedule too tight, so we could relax and chat." She glanced at Rosalie. "I hope you weren't wanting something big and flashy?"

Rosalie shook her head, instantly. "No, definitely not." She paused. "Expected it, perhaps, but not wanted. This sounds better."

Zoey relaxed. She had been worried, however much she'd been convinced it was the right idea.

"So," Rosalie said. "We got side tracked. You said some of your memories are trickling back? A brother? What else? Parents? Where you lived?"

Zoey chewed her lip. How best to go about this?

3.25 The Date III

It was odd, visiting a park hanging thousands of feet into the air.

Despite being wrapped around a gigantic, dead tree trunk, the park was more or less the same as the ones Zoey knew back home. Lush green grass, simple pathways crisscrossing here and there, sparse trees, and even a decently sized pond.

The logistics behind all that—how they'd built a park in the sky—hurt Zoey's head, but so did the logistics behind the entire city. How had the designers and constructors managed to create Treyhull? How did they bring supplies up? How had they gotten the millions of gallons—or whatever the quantity was—of water needed to fill the pond, much less the material for the rest of the enormous tree city?

With magic on their side. The exact applications, Zoey couldn't guess at, but magic in any capacity would simplify pesky things like logistics.

As they completed the last leg of the trip to the park, Zoey chatted with Rosalie about her slowly returning memories—the bits and pieces she could glean, foggy as they were. She tried to be honest without revealing too much about her status as an inter-dimensional traveler ... or whatever Ephy had done to get her here. Zoey didn't know if this was a different planet, or universe entirely, or whatever. Those were questions above her pay grade. Easy to ignore, and not especially important.

Mostly, she talked about her childhood memories and how she grew up. Rosalie seemed interested in trying to guess where she was from, using the tidbits Zoey described to her, but she mostly ended up perplexed—an inevitable result, seeing how the suburban lifestyle of someone from modern-day Earth didn't match anywhere in this world.

It was freeing to discuss her history, even if Zoey didn't—and sometimes couldn't—go into real depth. Still, she painted a picture of her past, and what she'd been like, growing up. She talked a bit about family, but those bits were always the foggiest—the parts that Zoey might have an attachment to.

Because that had been Ephy's intent: to scrub her brain of distractions. And it had worked, unnerving as the experience was. She was unsettled by how she couldn't remember her parents' or potential brother's face, but it also meant Zoey wasn't agonizing over homesickness. In fact, bizarre as her time in this new world had been, she actually, unequivocally, liked it here. And that was only mostly of the fault of Rosalie and Delta. The world itself was fascinating.

Zoey had scouted out the Eden's Retreat Park with Maddy earlier in the day, so she knew where to lead them. The park was busy—it was a beautiful day out, and approaching evening, so of course it was—but not excessively so.

"It's crazy they managed to build all this," Zoey said, nodding, specifically, at the pond. They were strolling its edge, hand in hand, at a relaxed pace. The first order of business was feeding the ducks, but first they had to track the sneaky bastards down. Like Zoey had said, it was a big pond. "The buildings I can kind of wrap my head around, but half a lake? How?"

Rosalie hummed. "It must have been an undertaking," she agreed. "Though hardly impossible. Inventories and laborer classes make projects like this rather less intimidating than you'd think. Mostly, I can't help but think how wasteful it all is."

"Wasteful?" Zoey asked, surprised. "Why?"

"All this for a park?" Rosalie shrugged. "Impractical, I suppose. A waste of resources."

"Having somewhere nice to relax isn't wasteful," Zoey said. Rosalie really did have such an overly utilitarian perspective. "Look how pretty it is. It's good for the soul. Cities need recreational areas like this. Though ... I get your point." Even with magic aiding them, building a park in the sky—such an extensive feat. And there were several in Treyhull. Crazy.

"Plus," Rosalie said. "It seems dangerous. This has to be one of the riskiest places in the city."

Again, Zoey was taken off guard. "Dangerous? Why?" A second later, the answer came to her. "Monsters?" Sometimes she forgot about those.

"All this open air." She scanned the sky, and Zoey couldn't help but do the same. "It must be a headache keeping people safe. That's why there's so many guards."

Zoey looked thoughtfully around the park. "There are more than usual, aren't there?" She hadn't noticed it until Rosalie had pointed it out. The green and blue uniforms of the Treyhull City Guard had become background noise to Zoey. She was used to seeing plenty of patrols, but there were even more than normal—by a significant amount. "How common are attacks, anyway? We haven't seen one."

"We've been in Treyhull two days. They're common, but not so much you'll see one every outing." She shrugged. "Not that I know for sure. I'm hardly an expert on Treyhull's monster conditions. But the Fractures in general are a chaotic place, so it can't be all that uncommon."

Zoey chewed on that for a few moments. "I'm surprised so many people come here, despite that." Zoey knew why—for the profit that came with supporting wayfarers—but even so. Were things bad up in Haven? The people here didn't seem especially desperate, so surely not.

"Haven has its own issues," Rosalie said. "I suppose from a larger perspective, risk of monster attack isn't such a deterrent. I'm the wrong person to ask."

They walked for a few moments, Zoey considering her words. She hadn't really thought about the Fractures'—and Haven's—big picture. Considering her mission in this world, she really should start doing so more. But that would come later. She was on a date. She shook the thoughts away.

Rosalie peered around. "You know, I was promised ducks, but I'm noticing a distinct lack of them, Zoey."

"Seriously. Where'd they even go?" This was the only body of water, and they'd been walking the edge for a while, scouting. The pond was, to be fair, enormous—big enough she couldn't make out the entire span. "We'll bump into them sooner or later. I know they're here." And there was hardly a rush. She was enjoying the casual conversation. That wasn't something she and Rosalie got enough of. "How'd your day go, by the way? What were you up to?"

Rosalie glanced at her, amused—and it took a second for Zoey to place why. "Well," she said, "this morning, I was training at the guild facilities, locked in a private room. See, I couldn't do more, because I was tasked with attending to a very troublesome teammate of mine, and her excessive needs."

Zoey coughed. In the moment, she'd forgotten how a good portion of Rosalie's day had been occupied. Was sex becoming such a staple that it had only taken a few hours to forget that Rosalie had been sucking her cock between each of Maddy's lessons?

"What kind of training?" Zoey asked, moving to topics that wouldn't have her walking awkwardly. She didn't have her portal panties equipped, so an erection would be as inconvenient, and obvious, as before. "You advanced one of your runes, right? Practicing a new skill?"

"Among other things, yes."

The natural next question would have been what skill, but Rosalie had already shot Zoey down in that regard once before: when Zoey had asked her what class she had. Rosalie wasn't open about her runes and abilities, something normal to people of this world. Zoey shouldn't take offense at it ... but she did, secretly, and irrationally. She wanted Rosalie to trust her enough to give away that sort of information.

Rosalie leaned against her as they walked down the pond's edge. Zoey's heart sped up.

"It's an interesting one," Rosalie said softly. "Practical for combat. It lets me ... bend my spear." She frowned. "It's hard to explain. I can thrust at odd angles—ones that don't make sense. And much farther than I should. It's massively improved my reach."

She had chosen to share, and without Zoey even asking. It made Zoey glow—probably too much. Why had Rosalie, though? Because she'd seen Zoey grow awkward, not asking 'what skill', which had been the obvious follow up? Either way, her stomach fluttered at the show of trust.

"You can warp space?" Zoey asked, trying to fight away the grin that threatened to break out. It hadn't been some huge gesture, so she really shouldn't be feeling giddy, but at the same time, Rosalie had made it clear that sharing any details to a person's class was intimate—probably in a way Zoey couldn't fully appreciate.

"In a specific application, I suppose. Only with my spear."

"Sounds tricky to use."

"My most unwieldy one yet," Rosalie agreed. "It'll take time to master. Perhaps this two week break is less of an inconvenience than I thought. Or at least, I have relevant matters to fill it with."

Two weeks—fourteen days, which they were already on day two of. It was going to pass in a blink, wasn't it? Zoey had so many activities to keep herself occupied. Practical ones and less practical: if possible, she'd like to get Rosalie out on another date, for this to not be a one-time thing.

And maybe Delta? Maybe not so formal as a date, but Delta had invited her for a night out drinking. That could be fun. Maybe Rosalie would want to come, too? A team date.

"And you?" Rosalie asked. "How'd your training go?"

"It's hard to tell with Maddy," Zoey answered honestly. "She said I made good progress, but she's so sweet I wouldn't be surprised if she's just trying to be encouraging."

"She's like that?"

Rosalie was still pressed into Zoey's side. They'd slowed to a rather inefficient duck-hunting pace ... it'd be ages before they made it across the pond's stretching shoreline, ambling along like they were. That didn't bother Zoey. Having Rosalie tucked into her, head leaned against her shoulder, had a glow washing through Zoey.

"Yeah," Zoey said. "You'll see what I mean. I like her. She's ... nice." That was the easy blanket word to use. "Though, she's not entirely sold on my class, I can tell."

"I can't imagine why." Sarcasm dripped from her words.

Zoey gave her a pointed look. "Well, some people don't seem to mind it." She made it clear who the 'some' referred to.

Rosalie's cheeks colored, but she ignored the accusation. "Anyway," Rosalie said. "It's fine if you're not some prodigy. You don't need to become an expert spellcaster in two weeks. You just need to learn a few defensive spells, so if something slips me, you'll be fine."

"That's the plan."

The sun beat down with a gentle warmth. The air was starting to cool, but it was still bright and hot out, only a few scattered clouds providing shade. Pressed so close to her, Rosalie's scent was distracting. She'd worn a floral perfume that made it hard to think. Though, Zoey would've found it hard to think just having Rosalie pressed into her.

"Near the end, I think I was getting close to ice armor not fizzling," Zoey said. "So, if that's a good pace ..." she shrugged. "Then yeah, it went well. But I wouldn't know."

"I don't, either," Rosalie admitted. "I'm not a mage. But new spells take time to learn, and especially your first few. I know that much."

"It gets easier with each one?"

"So I've been told."

Zoey thought about that. "Your family's all warriors, then?" Er, what was the role Rosalie sorted herself under? "Lancers?" Classes that had an equal mix of defense and offense.

"Elodie uses a sword. The rest of us, spears. So, yes—all warriors, more or less. Not all lancers."

"More or less?"

"Well," Rosalie said. "Classes can't be sorted so simply." She shrugged, as if a full explanation would be too tangential to get into.

"I wonder if my arcana rune will advance as fast as my other two," Zoey said. "I figure it hasn't yet because I've barely used it." Mostly, it had been her two lewder runes that she'd used to aid Delta and Rosalie. "But now, maybe it will?" Now that she was training. Advancement didn't come only through shards—though it was the fastest way.

"I'd assume so." Rosalie leaned off Zoey, abruptly, spotting something. She shaded her eyes and peered across the pond. "Ah." She pointed. "There they are."

Zoey failed to see what she was pointing at. "I'll take your word for it." A second later, she realized why Rosalie had spotted them so easily. "Advancements give you better eyesight, don't they?"

"Better everything," Rosalie said idly. "Haven't you noticed? You're technically second advancement, now. Each rune's advancement gives passive benefits."

"Right." She thought about it. Heavy objects had felt lighter, recently, and maybe she could see and hear more sharply than before. "It's not super noticeable, but yeah. I think so."

"It's mild at first. And more pronounced for me. I'm a physical fighter. My senses are more integral to my class, so I get more."

"I'm jealous. Super strength and reflexes."

"And I," Rosalie said amusedly, "would like to conjure walls of ice from thin air. But we get what we get."

That was fair. Magic was nothing to sneeze at. But super strength would've been pretty amazing. Specifically, for some less-than-appropriate reasons. Zoey would like to be able to toss Rosalie around like she weighed nothing. It would make certain activities ... more fun.

Their lackadaisical pace picked up, the two of them having identified their prey. The ducks came into view.

3.26 The Date IV

Rosalie was as awkward about feeding the ducks as Zoey had hoped she would be. Rosalie didn't say it outright, but her furrowed brow as she tossed breadcrumbs into the water and watched the animals quack and swarm showed how she felt: mostly perplexed. It was a very Rosalie reaction.

Zoey was just glad she was humoring her, seeing how much of a 'waste of time' she must view all this. Though, her shoulders definitely seemed to have loosened from their usual ram-rod straightness. And there was a hint of a smile mixed in with her vague amusement and confusion. Zoey counted that as a win.

The ravenous beasts glutted, Zoey and Rosalie strolled away from the lake, headed for the spot she and Maddy had picked out for the picnic. They took a casual pace, chatting.

"I can't believe how easy you're making that look," Zoey said, nodding at Rosalie's shoes. Heels in grass—Zoey could barely manage heels on flat tiles.

Rosalie looked down then back up, as if not understanding what Zoey was referencing, at first.

Which was kind of her point. "Your heels. How do you do it? You're like a ... a panther." Well, not the best comparison, but it'd been the one that popped into her head.

Rosalie raised her eyebrows.

"You've got this ... fluid grace. When you move." Zoey shrugged. "It's impressive. But you're sure it's not a problem?"