Life after the Lottery Ch. 75

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Maybe we could schedule the rest of our hours while they are in Canada," Dawn said.

"We could..." I replied. "If we all have our VFR ticket by August, maybe we can take a short trip to Atlanta for a few days and do some training on that simulator."

"That sounds like a good idea. Our instructor told me that since we will be doing the instrument certification right after the VFR, he would go ahead and include a lot of that in our initial flight hours to help us," Dawn told me.

"Good."

"Jeanine told me that she and Stan are checking into what it would take for them to get an instructor certification. They already have the commercial license and have flown many different helicopters."

"We have already contracted with the local school for all that," I reminded Dawn.

"I know, but she said it would be good for them to have the certification and that the additional hours she wants to help us with could be logged as cross-training."

"I think that it will be August at the earliest before that is an issue."

"I can't wait to fly Linda's helicopter," Dawn said.

About 4:30, the general contractor came up and knocked on the backdoor. I went and opened it.

"Mr. Smith, we are through with the concrete for the floor of the hangar. It has all been smoothed and polished."

"Great."

"There is no rain in the forecast for the next few days, so I left it uncovered."

"Okay. Thanks for all your hard work. What is next?"

"Nothing until Monday. Monday, we will pull the forms and start prepping for the steel that is coming. Finishing the prep for the steel will take a week or so. We need to have all that ready by the 20th for the steel delivery."

"I thought it was going to be May before it was delivered?"

"Carl always adds some fudge time. Delivery dates always run a few weeks later than the fabricators say. But, this one is going to be on schedule for a change."

"Do you have all the cranes and machines lined up already?" I asked.

"We have our own equipment. This is what we do. Put up steel buildings."

"Sounds great."

He went back, and they all got in their trucks and left.

*****

About 6:00, I saw Dawn standing at the backdoor, looking out. She looked up at me and smiled.

"What?"

"Come with me," she said.

We left the house and walked down to the new concrete pad.

"Look," Dawn said.

I looked, and in the middle of the fresh concrete sat a rabbit. I could see the tracks it had left.

"I guess they should have covered it," I said.

"No...wait."

We stood and looked at the rabbit. After a few minutes, we saw a large hawk fly down and land next to the rabbit. The rabbit sat there. The hawk hopped around some, leaving tracks in the perfect concrete. After a few minutes, the hawk flew away, and the rabbit hopped off the other side of the concrete. Dawn looked up at me and smiled.

"What?"

"You don't understand, honey. The hawk is the enemy of the rabbit. It should have taken the rabbit as food and flown off."

"It didn't, though?"

"No, it didn't. That is a good sign. They were in union...not fighting."

"I'll take all the good luck we can get."

Dawn and I turned to walk back to the house. Dawn stopped about halfway and held my hand. I turned to look, and Dawn seemed pensive. I held her hand and looked for a moment.

"What is it?" I asked.

"I need to tell you something..."

"It sounds like something you have been holding back."

"I have. I haven't been as forthcoming as I should have been?"

"About flying?"

"No." Dawn was looking up at me.

"Whatever it is...just tell me, honey."

"I told all of you that the ceremony last Friday was an old one...and not performed much anymore."

"You did..."

"The purpose of the ceremony was to ask for the blessing of the Spirits and of the Ancient Ones and have them fill our children with the Spirits of the Cherokee."

"Sure...that is what we all want."

"There is something I did not tell all of you."

"What did you not tell us?"

"When my great-grandparents told me the significance of the ceremony and why they performed it with my parents...it made me understand something. Even when I thought I was only one-quarter Cherokee...I always thought that I looked like I was all Cherokee. When I asked my great-grandmother to explain to me why I looked much more Cherokee than others I knew who were only one-forth, or one-half, she told me because the Cherokee blood in me had been brought forth by the ceremony."

"Your mom has strong genes."

"I understand genetics and dominant and recessive genes. Now I understand what great-grandmother told me years ago. The ceremony asks the Spirits to bring forth the strong Cherokee blood in someone's child. There is no guarantee that will happen, but it usually does, according to my great-grandmother."

"I don't see why asking the Spirits to bring out the recessive genes is an issue, honey."

"It's more than just recessive genes. Biologically...my DNA has non-Cherokee makeup. But...by asking what I asked...the physical characteristics of our children may be more Cherokee than you may think."

"That is not a problem."

"For you and me...it's not. But what happens if Samantha and Amy's child looks more like me than them?" Dawn asked as she looked at me. "The ceremony is not selective like that."

"So...two fair-skinned redheads having a darker skin child with long black hair...may be a surprise to them?"

"Yes..." Dawn replied timidly.

"Their Cherokee blood is pretty far back," I said.

"It is but...recessive genes can be a surprise...sometimes. We will have to see what the Spirits choose."

"I guess it is too late now...but I wouldn't worry about it. However, I think you need to have a talk with them."

"I know."

"Honestly, honey, I don't think it will make a difference to the two of them."

"I hope not, but...what about Linda and Rachel?"

"That may be a different issue. You just need to talk to all of them so they are prepared."

I pulled Dawn to me and wrapped my arm around her waist, and we continued walking to the house.

"Are you ready for all this?" Dawn asked.

"I am ready."

When we walked back into the house, Amy and Samantha were in the kitchen.

"Where did you two go?" Amy asked.

"Walked down to look at the concrete," I said.

"We started dinner. You two go sit."

Dawn and I went to the den. She unrolled a big map, and we practiced our map reading and navigations skills until dinner was ready.

*****

Thursday morning, while we were eating breakfast, I asked Amy and Samantha when they would be home from their morning classes.

"If we come home right after, 10:00," Amy replied.

"Jeanine and Stan are picking me up about 10:30 to take some photos. Just thought you may want to ride along."

"Cool! We'll be back at 10:00!" Samantha said.

After they ate, they headed out.

"What are the photos for?" Dawn asked.

"They are for Carl's engineers. They need them to determine where the pad goes and the layout."

*****

Dawn and I cleaned up the kitchen and the house. A few minutes after 10:00, Samantha and Amy came into the house.

"I saw them!" Samantha exclaimed.

We began to hear the helicopter coming as Samantha ran back out the front door.

Jeanine and Stan came into the house with Samantha a few minutes later.

"I need to load some more film backs. It will only take me a few minutes," I told them.

They talked to Dawn and the girls while I went and loaded several more film backs. When I had them ready, I put everything in my bag and went back to the den.

"I'm ready."

"Okay. We need to figure out the best way to secure you since the doors are off," Stan said.

"Can't I just lean out and shoot the pictures?"

"Yes, but I have another idea," Stan said.

"Can we go?" Samantha asked.

"Sure," Stan said.

"I'll make lunch for everybody," Amy said.

We went out to the helicopter with Jeanine and Stan.

"We will need some altitude. I am using a longer lens, so I don't get part of the helicopter in the pictures."

"That will help," Stan said. "I'm glad you don't get airsick!"

Jeanine was getting back into the pilot's seat. The big side doors had been taken off.

"Get in with me," Stan said after he had gotten in.

I got in, and he had me sit in one of the big revolving seats that Linda and Rachel sit in behind the pilots. Stan put the four-point harness around me and hooked it up.

"I am going to leave this a little loose, but it won't let you go," Stan said. "Now, turn the seat, so you are facing out and make sure that will work."

I rotated the seat as Stan watched.

"I think this will work," I said.

"Do you have room to move?" He asked.

I checked the straps and could move some.

"I'm good."

"Okay. Dawn, you and Samantha get in."

Stan strapped Dawn in one of the backseats facing me. Samantha got in the other big seat next to me.

"You all put those headphones on so we can talk to you. It will be noisy with the doors off. I am going to strap your camera bag in the seat next to Dawn. If you need something from it, she can get it for you."

We put the headphones on.

"Can you all hear me?" Jeanine asked.

"I can hear you."

"Good. Your mic is set for VOX, so you don't have to push the button."

"Okay."

Stan was strapping into the co-pilot's seat. They went through a checklist and fired up the engines, then went through more checks for a few minutes.

"Okay, James. You are strapped in and secure. Dawn and Samantha, just hang on," Stan said.

"I can't get to my bag to change film."

"Let us know when you need to change film. We'll have to fly level. Dawn should be able to reach your bag without unlocking the seatbelt," Stan said.

"Okay."

"We are ready then."

"BNA control, this is November-two-six-three-Charlie helo," I heard Jeanine say.

"Two-six-three, BNA control."

"Roger BNA control. We are about to lift off south of town. We will ID at three-zero-zero, so you can locate us."

"Roger two-six-three."

"Once we ID, we will be requesting clearance to one-zero-thousand temporarily. We are performing some aerial photography in the area and will be circling and making rapid turns."

"Roger two-three-six."

The rotor sped up, and we lifted off. Jeanine rotated the helicopter, then moved us forward and climbed.

"BNA. November-two-three-six-Charlie helo. ID on at three-zero-zero."

"Roger two-three-six. We see you. Airspace is clear for maneuvering. No aircraft in the area."

"Roger BNA. Moving to zero-one thousand."

"Roger two-three-six."

I felt Jeanine apply power, and we began to rise quickly.

"James, we will hover at one thousand feet. Look and see if that is high enough," Jeanine said.

After a few minutes, we were hovering. I held up my camera and looked. We needed to be higher.

"Jeanine, can we go up about twice as high?" I asked.

"Sure."

"BNA. November-two-three-six-Charlie requesting clearance to zero-two thousand."

"Roger two-three-six. Clear to zero-two thousand."

I felt us climb for another minute or so.

"Check now, James," Stan said.

I looked through the viewfinder, and it looked good.

"I think this altitude will work. Maybe a little higher. I'll have to lean out some."

"No, you want. Just hang on. We will fly out and come back and turn hard so you can shoot down. It will take several passes. We have done this before. Just hang on," Stan said.

We flew off away from the house for a minute, then turned and headed back at a fast speed.

"Hang on, James," Jeanine said.

We were making a pass when Jeanine banked hard over the property at high speed. I was basically looking straight down at our land. I shot photos quickly before she leveled and flew straight for a bit.

"Did that work?" Stan asked.

"That worked!"

"Okay. We will fly back and make another pass over different areas. When you have what you need or need to change film, let me know."

We flew back and forth over our property numerous times, and I got enough photos of the area where the hangar and pad would go.

"I got our property. I need to change film, and we can do Linda's property."

"Okay."

We leveled off, and I grabbed another film back from Dawn, changed it, and handed her the used one. Samantha was laughing and having a great time.

"I'm ready," I said.

We went through the same highspeed turns over Linda's property until I had all I needed.

"I think I have it. Can we go higher, and I can get some shots of everything in one photo."

"How much higher?"

"Another thousand feet," I said.

"Okay," Stan replied.

"BNA control. November-two-three-six-Charlie helo requesting clearance to zero-three thousand."

"Roger two-three-six. Hold at zero-two thousand for two minutes. Small aircraft overflying your position at heading two-zero-zero at zero-three thousand."

"Roger BNA. Advise when clear."

We flew south slowly until we were past the property.

"November-two-three-six helo. You are cleared to zero-three thousand. All aircraft clear of the area."

"Roger. Thanks, BNA control."

We turned and headed back north.

"I am going to roll. You should be able to get everything," Jeanine said.

"I'm ready."

We sped up and were flying west of the road our property was on. Jeanine banked hard and made a circle, and I got shots of all the property in one photo.

"That should do it," I said.

"Do you need any more?" Stan asked.

"I think I have plenty."

"Good."

"BNA control. November-two-three-six-Charlie."

"Two-three-six. BNA."

"Leaving zero-three thousand and going off radar to land."

"Roger two-three-six. Thanks for letting us know."

"Roger. Will advise when on the ground BNA Control."

Jeanine turned hard, and we descended rapidly. After a few minutes, the gears went down, and we settled on the front yard.

"BNA Control. November-two-three-six-Charlie is on the ground," Jeanine said.

"Roger two-three-six."

The helicopter shut down, and Stan got out and helped me get unhooked.

Jeanine came around to our side as Dawn and Samantha got out. We all walked into the house.

"Jeanine, you were making some pretty banked turns," Dawn said.

"That was nothing. I'll teach all of you how to do that. The EC-135 will make some turns you won't believe."

Amy had some lunch ready for us. We all sat and ate.

"I got what we need. I'll process and print it this evening," I said.

"Can we learn how to fly like that?" Samantha asked.

"I'll make sure you learn to fly like that!" Jeanine told us. "It is something you need to know how to do...in case another aircraft appears, and you need to get out of the way."

We all sat and were eating lunch.

"You three need to decide if you are going fly with headphones or a helmet," Jeanine said.

"Which do you like?" Dawn asked.

"I like my helmet, but that is what I have used for years."

"What about you, Stan?" I asked.

"Some people think the headphones are more comfortable...it is up to you, but I like my helmet."

"Is one better than the other?"

"It is a personal choice for civilian pilots. The helmet gives you the visor for the sun. Other than that...the helmet is safer."

"Safer?"

"Keeps your head from getting as banged up...if you need that."

"I see."

"I haven't worn a helmet," Dawn said.

"Me either," Samantha added.

"You can try mine," Jeanine said as she ate.

"James, you may like the helmet. As tall as you are, it will keep you from banging your head on things," Stan said. "You can try mine."

After we had lunch, Jeanine and Stan left. I was sitting on the sofa with Dawn while I unloaded all the film. Samantha came down the stairs and walked over to pick up her computer bag to head back to school. I looked at the skintight leggings or pants she had on.

"Sam? What are you wearing?" Dawn asked.

Samantha looked down.

"Yogi pants..."

"Come here..."

She walked over to Dawn. Dawn turned her around. We could see the definition of the cheeks of her ass.

"Nope. Go change," Dawn said.

"Why? Everyone is wearing them now."

"Are you everyone?" Dawn asked.

"Yes..."

"Remember what we told you before you started school here?"

"I guess...but they are comfortable."

"I guess they are...that thin. You aren't even wearing underwear, girl! Go change."

"Bummer..."

She headed back up the stairs as Amy came down them.

"Told you..." Amy said to her.

Amy walked over to Dawn.

"Amy...remind your sister about our talk we had about not dressing trashy," Dawn said.

"I told her..."

"Well...explain why, please, honey."

I headed to my darkroom. It took me about an hour to process the black and white film. I hung it in the drying cabinet so it would dry faster. I got out my large trays for the black and white prints and filled them with chemicals. I then went upstairs to get something to drink.

"I will be downstairs making the prints for a bit," I told Dawn.

"Okay. I'm looking at headsets and helmets."

I sat with Dawn as she looked on the internet. We looked at several websites for an hour.

"Just find the best ones and order headsets and helmets," I said.

"Okay. I'll get some extra headsets too."

"The film should be dry. I'll be back up in an hour or so."

I went back to the darkroom. I had some 24 X 36-inch black and white paper, so I set up to use that. I cut the film up and made some proof sheets, and picked out shots that included all of our property and some of Linda's. I made three copies of each of them and then made a lot of prints that had shots of the trees and other things. About an hour and a half later, I had all the prints spread out around the basement to dry.

*****

Amy came in about 4:00. Samantha wouldn't be home from her lab until about 8:00. Dawn enlisted Amy to ask her questions from her study guide.

I started dinner for us later while Amy quizzed Dawn. They finally stopped so we could eat. Like we always did, we put a plate for Samantha in the oven.

"Amy, are you sure you don't want to learn to fly?" Dawn asked.

"Nope. Not my thing."

"What is your thing?"

"You'll see."

Amy went to study, and Dawn had me ask her questions. We traded until Samantha came in just after 8:00.

"You want to join us to study?" I asked.

"I am going to take my test Saturday!" Samantha exclaimed. "You two come with me."

"I'm not ready yet," I said.

"Yes, you are!"

"Sam, you go ahead, and then you can tell us what is on it!" Dawn said and laughed.

"It is only 60 questions?" Samantha replied.

"I know! But it is 60 questions on all this shit!" I said as I pointed to all the materials sitting around the den.

"You pussy!" Samantha said and laughed.

"Yes! You pussy!" Dawn added, and they laughed.

"Okay, Dawn! You go with her Saturday!" I said.

"I'll wait and go with you."

"Thought so."

"You know what Stan and Jeanine told us?" Samantha asked.

"What?" I responded.

"They said that in 5 to 10 years, a helicopter like ours could have radar installed to show the weather ahead. They also said that the GPS we now have in the cars would be available as a displayed map while we fly. They have something like that in large aircraft in the military, but they said it would be small enough to put in smaller aircraft in 5 to 10 years."

"Oh, that sounds like something that would be cheap to upgrade to!" I teased.

Dawn turned and looked at me.

"Pussy!" She said.

For payback, Dawn and Samantha quizzed me on things until it was 10:00.

"You two have fun. I need to go downstairs and get all those prints ready to take to Carl in the morning."

I went to the basement and found a couple of empty photo paper boxes and put all the prints in them. When I went back upstairs, they had all gone to bed. I went up, and Dawn was in bed with Amy, and they were kissing each other.

1...34567...16