Life in a Small New Hampshire Town Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Derrick is such an altruistic person, which extends to our lovemaking. It's nearly always a transcending experience for me. I love succumbing to the afterglow, always enhanced by our cuddling in our post-orgasmic bliss.

Tonight, my emotions were supercharged by all the positive feelings the day had unleashed in me. I could almost feel the oxytocin, my orgasm had induced, charging through my body. Never had I felt this high, physically and emotionally. The last thing I remembered was falling forward on to his chest.

Sunday

I have no recollection of how Derrick got me under the covers. I awoke to him spooning me, his morning erection tucked against my cheeks. Unfortunately, my full bladder took priority. When I returned, he was up, his erection was down. By the time he came back, the moment had passed.

By unspoken agreement I headed to the shower while Derrick made coffee and changed the linens on our bed. I started breakfast while he showered. He grabbed the dirty linens and towels and started the washer. One of the many things I love about Derrick is how thoughtful he is, even about small things. We'll have clean sheets when we return from Hawaii. He joined me for breakfast. We finished just as Beth and Michael arrived, followed shortly thereafter by Tom. I made breakfast for them. It was another pleasant day, with the sun raising the outside temperature enough to be comfortable, so after they ate, we adjourned to the porch for more coffee and conversation.

Beth and Michael said their goodbye's and left for Portsmouth. Samantha called and Tom left to look at the apartment. Derrick and I cleaned up the kitchen, threw the laundry into the dryer, finished packing, and headed for the Manchester airport. We took my old truck as Derrick wasn't comfortable leaving his pride and joy, his '67 Mustang GT convertible, at the airport parking garage. I wholeheartedly agreed.

Tom

I met Samantha at 11:30. Brian covered the register while we went upstairs. The place was already empty.

"Our tenant was able to move into his new place early, so they loaded the U-Haul yesterday afternoon and left for Boston."

The apartment was bigger than I needed, but quite nice. We discussed price. Much less than I was paying in Portland.

"I'll take it. How much should I write the check for?"

"Just the first month's rent."

"Really?"

"Tom, I've known you since practically the day you were born. I went to school with your dad. Just the rent."

I gave her the check and headed for Portland.

Monday

I arrived for work a few minutes early and went into my boss's office to give my two weeks' notice. He flew into a rage. Phrases such as "kid's these day's', 'no work ethic', 'no allegiance' filled the air, culminating in:

"You're fired. Get out of here right now."

I guess he forgot how I saved his ass earlier this year and never got credit for it. I went down to H.R.

"I heard everything. We all did. Technically, since he fired you, you're eligible for unemployment compensation, But, since I know how smart you are, I'm guessing you already have a job lined up."

"Yup. I do. It pays more than this and I won't have to put up with his tirades anymore. I was just trying to give him two weeks' notice."

"I'll make sure you get paid for the two weeks plus any accrued vacation time. Also, since you've been here over two years, your 401K is fully vested. Where should I send the checks?"

"I don't actually have an address yet. Probably safest to send it to my mom's address."

I gave it to her.

"Best of luck, Tom."

"Thanks, Cindy."

I picked up the personal items from my desk, stopped to buy some packing boxes and headed home. With a few phone calls, I had a U-Haul reserved for Tuesday afternoon, a flatbed trailer to tow my car and a couple of buddies coming over to help load the heavy items after work. A promise of beer is always a good bribe when you need help. I called Samantha, explained my situation and she said they'd have the place ready for me Wednesday. She also arranged for her 18-year-old son, Seth to help carry the heavy items, after he got home from school.

Wednesday

Other than the sleeping bag I used last night, everything else was loaded. I hit the road and arrived in Appleton by late morning. By the time Seth got home from school, I had everything besides the heavy furniture moved in. As a single 24-year-old, I haven't accumulated a lot of furniture yet. When we finished, I gave him $50, which made his day.

Thursday

The day was spent unpacking and setting up the apartment. Because Samantha and family had lived here for several years, one bonus was the place had a washer and dryer. No more weekly trips to the laundromat. Since my departure from Portland was unplanned and hurried, the laundry got a good workout while I was doing other things. By evening, I was pretty well settled in, including stocking up on food and other necessities. Nice to have the store downstairs.

Friday

I called my new boss and explained what happened in Portland and that I was already relocated.

"I wondered if you might like me to start early? Otherwise, I have nothing to do between now and our agreed-on start date."

"Tom, that's music to my ears. When were you thinking of?"

"Monday?"

"Great!"

"I'll be there."

By afternoon I was running out of busy work, so I decided to wander around town. A few blocks from home (I'm calling it home already) I stumbled on to the farmer's market. In the second row of stalls, I immediately recognized Chris. Remembering that she worked on an organic farm, it made sense to see her at a farmer's market. After her customer left, I approached her table.

"Tom! What a pleasant surprise. What are you doing here? I thought you were in Portland for a couple more weeks."

"Circumstances changed. I start work in Greensboro Monday. Chris, I enjoyed meeting you at the wedding. Would you be interested in getting together sometime? Dinner maybe?"

"Sure. Look, customers are backing up. I'll call you tonight."

Shiloh

The market was busy today. Good weather brings out the crowds. Chris had handled a steady stream of customers. I noticed her talking with one of the wedding guests. I handled the overflow. The more I did this the easier it got. The next customer stepped up to the table. The DJ from the wedding.

"Hi Erik."

He looked up from his purchases.

"Hey, photographer lady. I never did get your name the other day."

"Shiloh."

"So, this is your other job. I can see how it would keep you busy. I'm still looking for a photographer if you find yourself with some available time."

"I'll think about it."

I rang up his purchases. He grabbed one of our brochures as he left.

Chris

I noticed Shiloh talking with the DJ. The first time it was quiet, I asked her about it.

"That was Erik. He's still looking for someone to work gigs with him."

"And?"

"And, I said I'd think about it."

It got busy again, cutting off further conversation. Erik? First name basis? Thinking about it? Oh, Shiloh, you have come so far.

***

"Tom. Sorry I couldn't talk more at the market. What did you have in mind?"

"Dinner. Is tomorrow too soon?"

"We have a market in the morning, so tomorrow evening is good. Do you like Thai? There's a restaurant in Greensboro that's supposed to be good."

"Thai's perfect. What time should I pick you up?"

"Easier if we meet at your place."

"I did rent the apartment over the Appleton Store. Meet me here at 7:00? I'll make reservations for 7:45."

"Sounds good. See you then."

Saturday

Tom

Chris arrived right at seven, wearing new black jeans and a long sleeved, three button polo in deep burgundy. Only the top button was undone. Very attractive. I gave her the nickel tour of my apartment and we departed for Greensboro.

"Time for Thai" was relatively small, maybe 50 seats. As it was a Saturday night, it was nearly full. After we were seated, we both ordered a Singha beer and Shrimp Tempura to share as a starter. Chris selected the Pad Thai, while I chose a bowl of Tom Kar soup. We sipped our beer while waiting for the food to arrive.

"So, how did you end up back in New Hampshire, Tom? It seems like Portland is a great place to live, especially for someone our age."

"Three reasons. Portland really is great. Under different circumstances, I'd still be there. My girlfriend was cheating on me. A friend saw her and another guy coming out of the local 'no tell, motel'. If she wanted to break-up, fine, but be honest about it. Sneaking off to screw someone behind my back was a deal breaker.

Second, my boss. He was the classic manager who took credit for subordinate's accomplishments, but never took responsibility for any problems. He was great at self-promotion and somehow had the ear of management. Bugs universally show up in any new release. Howard would write a 'fix' that created other problems. Invariably, one of us would pull up the prior version, fix the original bug, and move on. Howard, of course, would get the credit for the release."

I related my experiences on Monday.

"It was my first job after graduation. Initially I was enamored by contributing my input to the company. It took a while for me to realize Howard was the reason there was such a high turnover in the engineering department.

Last week I was contacted by a headhunter about the job in Greensboro. I was receptive to moving on. Since I already had arranged to take Friday off, to drive here for mom's wedding, I made arrangements to interview there. I immediately liked the people. I've always liked Lake County and this area. Appleton has decent high-speed internet so I can always work from home if we get snowed in. Besides, I got to meet you. Mom's may turn out to be the best wedding I've been to."

That brought a small blush to Chris's face. Food arrived. Conversation lapsed while we ate. More small talk while we enjoyed a cup of green tea. We were both quiet on the way home.

"Would you like to come up?"

Hesitation on her part.

"You can say no. Always."

More hesitation, after which:

"I'd like to. Please, no expectations for tonight. I'm not ready... yet."

Intriguing response. We went up, headed into the living room and sat on the couch., she to my right. Space between us.

"In other circumstances, I'd offer to sit and relax with a beer or glass of wine. Tonight, I think alcohol may be an inappropriate option. I always keep green tea on hand. Interested?"

Chris

"Yes, please."

While he was in the kitchen, I pondered the best approach to take to the conversation that needed to happen. He returned with two steaming mugs with teabags steeping, saucers and spoons, napkins.

"Cream, sugar, honey? I have them all."

"Unadulterated is fine with me. Tom, may I ask you a very personal question? If it's too personal, say so."

He clearly didn't know where this was going, but replied immediately:

"Ask away."

"Were you and your girlfriend living together?"

"Anita. Yes. I thought I was in love. Maybe I was, but she wasn't. My turn. Why?"

Here comes the cliché that nobody wants to hear, but it fits the situation. My situation.

"We need to talk."

"Chris, if you want to..."

"I want to... I need to talk. This is hard to admit to. I'm 22, I've never had a boyfriend. I've never had sex."

I had never admitted that to anyone else. I wasn't sure what Tom's reaction would be. He slid closer to me and pulled me into a hug. A comforting hug.

"I don't know how to respond to that. I like you, Chris. Sex can be wonderful part of a relationship, but a relationship can't be based only on sex. I'll not hurt you or push you to do anything you don't want."

This was all said in a near whisper. He released me and we both reached for our tea. Somehow, a sip of green tea was the perfect neutralizer for the moment. How best to explain this to him?

"It's not that I don't want to. I'm a healthy 22-year-old. I have desires, needs. It's been a lack of opportunity. Growing up on the farm, my sex education started early. We had cows, we had a bull, at times we used A.I."

A puzzled look crossed his face.

"Not what you're thinking. Artificial Insemination, not Artificial Intelligence. Farmers used the term long before the tech world co-opted it."

He laughed.

"We had the normal complement of dogs and their puppies, cats and their kittens and I raised rabbits for 4-H. I was observant. There's a reason for all the rabbit jokes. I had the knowledge, but not the opportunity. I can't speak to others' experience, but I really had no time for a social life. There were chores before school, after school, seven days a week. I don't regret my upbringing, but it was time to move on. I didn't get a chance to go to college, so no opportunity there. Since I've been here, I've worked 7 days a week, so again no time."

"You could still go to college you know."

"At my age? Get real."

"UNH assigns freshmen their roommates. Charlie spent 4 years in the Air Force prior to starting college. Therefore, he was about your age. We stayed roomies for all four years. He lent a maturity that benefitted me. Four years age difference between, say, 12 and 16, is significant. Not so much between 18 and 22. You should not dismiss it out of hand."

"We can have that discussion another time, that is if we're still talking after tonight."

"We will be, if I have anything to do with it."

That gave me a little confidence to keep going.

"I wasn't totally without opportunities, just not many. I did give a couple of hand jobs, two to be precise, in a car. Same guy both times. He groped my breasts, but nothing else. Nobody has been inside me. I've never given a blow job, not really sure about them.

When I saw you at the wedding, I was immediately attracted to you. Slow dancing with you got me all tingly. You're so easy to talk with. You're smart, handsome. I don't have any religious reason for saving myself for marriage. I hope..... you'll want to fuck me. Tonight."

Tom

Whoa. This is not anything that I expected when the evening commenced.

"First, I don't want to fuck you, not tonight, not ever."

She started to rise and it looked like she was going to cry.

Angrily, she said, "I need to leave. I thought you liked me."

I reached out and pulled her into a hug. She resisted.

"Let go of me. Now, Tom."

I held on.

"Please listen. I promise I'll let you go in a minute. Promise."

"Opening up to you was not easy. I know you've had sex with Anita. What's wrong with me? Am I not good enough for you, what?"

Loudly I said, "Chris! Stop! Let me explain."

She stopped struggling, but the tears were flowing.

One of my professors used the technique of lowering his voice when he wanted to make an important point. I was still holding her tightly.

I whispered, "I don't like the term 'fuck' and don't use it regarding sex. If you're around me long enough, particularly if something goes unexpectedly wrong, you'll hear me using it as an expletive. In that context, it's only a spontaneous expression of surprise. I like you, Chris. Our attraction is mutual."

I released her, grabbed one of the napkins and dabbed at the tears still running down her cheeks. I leaned in and kissed her forehead, causing her to shudder. I picked up her tea, handed it to her, picked up my own and took a sip. She visibly relaxed.

"But you said..."

I held up my hand in the classic 'Stop' position. It worked.

"I said I didn't want to 'fuck' you. Still don't. That doesn't mean I don't desire you, want to make love with you."

Her tears had stopped, but their tracks were still wet. I used the napkin to dry them again. She turned her head so I could reach her right cheek. I kissed her forehead, lowered down a few inches and kissed her on the lips, gently, briefly. I sat back, more upright, but still close. I took her left hand in mine and squeezed gently.

"You're confusing me."

"I think of 'fucking' as just a pair of genitals, doesn't really matter whose or where or how, very often with the sole purpose of the guy ejaculating. Sometimes driven by lust, sometimes it's a financial transaction, sometimes it's a one-night stand, sometimes the result of too much alcohol, sometimes it's revenge on a partner. Lots of possibilities, but the commonality is that it doesn't involve commitment. The whole experience is genital centered.

Having sex moves everything up a couple of feet, to the brain. The participants have more desire for each other. It involves someone you like, have common interests with, wish to be around besides in the bedroom. It's an activity involving the genitals, but a lot more.

Making love moves the center down to the heart. You've bonded with your partner, there's passion, desire, intimacy. The relationship is whole. You accept each other, flaws and all. I'm sure some would point out the heart doesn't function independently, and is controlled by the brain. I'd just say, this is my opinion, it works for me. They can live with their own."

"Wow, Tom. Are you sure you're an engineer? That sounds like a philosopher."

Now it was my turn to blush a little.

"Yeah...well..."

Time for more tea. Unfortunately, it had cooled down.

"Do you want yours reheated?

I headed for the microwave and returned with two steaming cups.

Chris

What a night. My emotions had been on a roller coaster since I walked in the door.

"Tom, I like you. I'd like to get together again, if I haven't scared you off."

"Hardly."

"It's getting late. I should probably leave."

"Are you sure you want to drive? You're welcome to stay tonight. No strings attached. The sofa pulls out to make a bed."

"I'm okay to drive. Now. Thank you. I do need your bathroom. Beer, two cups of tea."

"You can use it if you paid attention on the tour and can find it."

I lightly punched him on the shoulder.

"Ow!"

"Wimp."

He was holding my jacket for me, helped me into it. Hugged me. Kissed me. Kissed me again. Again, this time with his tongue separating my lips. I could feel him hardening against me, evidence that he was seriously getting interested.

"My strings are fast becoming un-attached. I should go. Now."

I left. I could feel how wet my panties were as I walked down the stairs. Tom followed me down and stayed there until I was in the car and headed home.

Thursday

Susan had called last night to let me know that Derrick and Olivia were back. They had a red-eye flight that got them to Newark Wednesday morning. With the wait for their connecting flight and the drive from Manchester, it wasn't until late afternoon before they reached Appleton.

Thursday was a normal day for me. We had cleaned up after dinner. While Shiloh was putting Sierra to bed the land line, the business number, rang.

"Would you grab that?"

I did.

To the phone, "Just a minute. She'll be right back."

To Shiloh, "It's for you. Erik Dexter, the DJ."

She took the phone and I went up to my room.

Shiloh

"Hello, Erik."

"Shiloh, I wasn't sure if I could reach you. I got this number from your brochure. I'm in a real jam and hope I can beg a huge favor."

"Go ahead."

"I need a photographer Saturday morning. I told you my primary one moved to Boston. My second choice is out of state at her cousin's wedding. My other photographer was all set until a few minutes ago. Her parents were t-boned by a red-light runner and were airlifted to Dartmouth-Hitchcock. She's on her way to the hospital. I don't have any other back-up."

"We have the market in Long Lake Saturday mornings. Let me put you on hold while I see if Chris can handle it alone."