Life in a Small New Hampshire Town Pt. 02

Story Info
Advancing the lives of three couples from Part 1.
20.5k words
4.86
10.5k
7

Part 2 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 08/15/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Life in a Small N.H. Town Part 2: The Wedding and Beyond.

****

Here's the normal disclaimer that all participants who engage in any sort of sexual activity are over 18 when it occurs. Lake County, NH, its towns and inhabitants, and all activities portrayed in this story only exist in my imagination.

This story picks up where 'Life in a Small NH Town' ends. It can be read as a standalone story, but the reader may get a fuller appreciation of the characters if they read 'Life' first. It advances the lives of four of the main characters from 'Life' and introduces some new ones.

In response to comments from 'Life' readers, there is a commitment to plot and character development as well as vignettes that offer additional glimpses of small-town life. Thus, the first part of the narrative slowly builds towards the climax. If you are looking for graphic sex in the first 100 words, this is probably not for you. Anticipating some readers may suggest there is too much background detail, I would reply that my goal is to provide multidimensional characters with enough history so readers not from a rural small town, or not from the U.S., would better understand and appreciate life here.

These stories are in the Romance section. Romance builds over time. I sincerely hope you enjoy it for what it is: A place to relax and escape for a little while, away from all the turmoil in our world today. If you enjoy the trip as much as arriving at the destination, you will find romance, drama, interesting new characters, plot twists, a bit of humor, and of course, sex.

My gratitude and thanks to my anonymous friend, for their editing and perceptive suggestions. Any and all errors are mine and mine alone

Enjoy!

Guy

P.S. This is my work alone and I maintain all international rights. No republishing anywhere without the express written permission from the author.

****

Saturday, September 8 th, 2018.

Derrick

As usual, Olivia and I woke up early, but today was hardly going to be a usual day. At 5:00 PM we were going to be married here in Appleton, NH. Our normal Saturday morning ritual, seasons and weather permitting, was to have our first coffee on the back porch. Today, the weather was cooperating, giving us a classic mid-September New Hampshire day. It was still brisk this early but was supposed to warm up to the mid-seventies (24oC) by afternoon.

While sipping our coffee, we looked out over Olivia's backyard. Yesterday the tent company had set up a tent large enough to accommodate seating for the 50 guests we were expecting and a small dance floor. Tables and chairs were in place. To the side was a smaller tent for the caterers. They were Phil and Sherry Morgan, the owners of the restaurant where Olivia had worked for the last several years. In typical small-town fashion, they showed their appreciation of Olivia's long-term relationship by offering to cater her wedding for the cost of the food. Small towns are so nice to live in.

The foliage of the hardwoods in the hills beyond the tent was well on its way towards peak color with reds, oranges, yellow and green blending in beautifully. Such a perfect backdrop for a wedding. We finished our coffee and went inside to make breakfast. Since we believed the likelihood to find time for lunch may be nonexistent, we enjoyed a full breakfast back on the porch. Most likely, this was our last peaceful moment together today, at least until after all the wedding guests had departed.

"Do you mind doing the dishes while I take a quick shower? Who knows when people may show up and I want to be ready."

"Sure thing, Olivia."

I was just finishing putting things away when Olivia's daughter, Beth, walked in, followed by a young man I hadn't met. Beth and her twin brother, Tom, had graduated from the University of New Hampshire, UNH, two years earlier. She lived and worked in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Tom worked in Portland, Maine

"This is Michael, my 'plus one' for the wedding."

"Pleased to meet you, Michael. Beth, your mom's taking a shower. I'll let her know you're here."

Olivia's husband, Greg, died when his Humvee hit an IED, leaving her widowed with the one-year-old twins. She struggled but managed to hold the family together and to see Beth and Tom graduate. Beth and Olivia had always had a close relationship. At our first meeting, it was apparent that Beth was concerned about my intentions towards her mom. Over time, she realized that there was mutual respect and warmth in our relationship. Beth is now comfortable with me.

Olivia was just emerging from the shower when I entered the bathroom. It's a vision I never get tired of, bringing back fond memories of our first shower together. 'Best not go down that road right now,' I thought.

"Beth and Michael just arrived."

"Michael? I wasn't aware."

"Her 'plus one'."

"Tell her I'll be right out."

"Your mom just got out of the shower and will be with us shortly. Do you guys want some coffee?"

"Always."

"There's enough for the three of us. Let me put on another pot for Olivia and whoever shows up next."

They went out on the porch; I started another pot and joined them.

"Derrick, I admit that I had reservations about you when we first met. It's clear that you and mom have a great relationship. I'm sincerely happy for both of you."

"Thanks, Beth. Hearing that means a lot to me."

Olivia soon joined us, carrying her cup of coffee. She gave Beth a warm, welcoming hug.

"So good to see you, Beth."

"I wouldn't miss this for the world. It's not often I'm invited to a wedding, and this one is so special to me. Mom, this is my friend Michael. We've been working on the same project for the past year. Turns out, we have many similar interests outside of work."

Olivia caught Derrick's eye and the knowledge of the unsaid passed between them. Beth blushed slightly.

"Michael, very happy to meet you. I'm afraid that today may get hectic. Perhaps you two can visit after we return from Hawaii and we can get to know each other better."

"Sure, mom. We'd like that."

Another car pulled into the yard and Tom got out, coming over to join them.

"Mom, so good to see you," he said as he gave her a hug.

"Beth, you're not too old to get one too," he said as he embraced his sister.

"Glad to see you, Tom. Coffee?"

"Sure thing, Derrick. Black with sugar."

Unlike Beth, Tom and I had always had a friendly relationship. I gave him his coffee. Since he didn't bring a 'plus one" Olivia asked, "What happened with Anita?"

"It just didn't work out. We had different values. But that's not the important news. I've just been offered a job in Greensboro with a small biomedical firm, which I accepted. Some headhunter found my Linkedin profile, saw I was from the area, that I was a software engineer and contacted me. I interviewed yesterday and was offered the job on the spot, with a hefty raise. I'm not sure, but I don't think they had many qualified applicants that wanted to move to small town New Hampshire. My lease in Portland is up at the end of the month, so the timing is perfect. I'll give notice on Monday. Portland's been nice, but I've always liked this area."

"Tom, it will be so good to have you living closer."

"Thanks, Mom, I'm looking forward to it."

"If it helps, you can borrow one of my trucks to move with."

"Thanks, Derrick. I was planning on renting a small U-Haul. In the meantime, I need to use the bathroom."

After he left, Beth said, "Mom, you should know that Anita cheated on him. It wasn't a good break-up. No one should have to put up with that." Everyone was acutely aware of her glance to Michael and the unequivocal message Beth was sending him. "I think that may have influenced his choice to leave Portland."

Saturday mid-afternoon.

Phil, Sherry and three servers arrived and began preparations. Tables were set, flowers placed. A limited bar was set-up. The wedding was going to be fairly informal, so, other than the head table, there was no assigned seating. The DJ arrived and started connecting his equipment. Derrick and Olivia excused themselves to freshen-up and change.

"If you don't mind, I'll take the first shower. I'll need more time to dress than you."

"Of course, dear." I couldn't help but admire her as she undressed. I still get a thrill every time I see her. Forty-four looked very good on her. I undressed as she finished her shower. As she passed me, she flashed a smile and cupped me. "That's not fair, Olivia."

"Later. I promise."

She was busy drying her hair as I emerged from the shower. Olivia had taken a trip down to Manchester with my bookkeeper, neighbor, and good friend, Susan, to buy a dress. While it was not to be a traditional bride's dress, she wouldn't let me see it ahead of the wedding. I dressed in a new suit and made myself scarce. Olivia had picked out my shirt and tie to coordinate with her dress. Susan and Beth converged on our bedroom to assist Olivia. Frances, the woman who owns the Appleton Beauty Salon arrived and also disappeared into the bedroom.

Mark Christianson, aptly named for his profession, is a semi-retired minister from Appleton; he was officiating the ceremony. He arrived and joined me on the back porch. Neither Olivia nor I are particularly religious, but felt that a minister was more fitting than a justice of the peace. Mark had keyed in on our desire to have a wedding reflective of sharing our love and devotion, but not overly religious. The three of us had refined the script for our vows over the previous couple of weeks.

At around 4:15, guests started arriving. One of them was Chris, my recently hired employee. She had previously discussed with Olivia that she knew a very good, but amateur, photographer, who agreed to document our wedding for us. I didn't pay much attention to the photographer arriving with Chris, unloading her equipment and setting up off in one corner of the tent. It wasn't until there was a lull in my conversation with Mark that I realized the photographer was Shiloh.

Shiloh operated an organic vegetable farm and also raised chickens for eggs and bees for honey, selling at several local stores, two farmers' markets and at the farm. My first interaction with her was to offer a ride home when she was stranded, which she had grudgingly accepted. My second was to take Chris for a part time job interview at her farm. She only hired female workers, was a very private person, and her reputation in town was someone who intensely disliked males. My two times meeting her seemed to affirm that reputation. Therefore, I was shocked to see her at my wedding.

Several weeks earlier.

Chris

I grew up on a dairy farm in southern New Hampshire. At 22, I was ready to move on as my two older brothers wanted to continue farming together. My Aunt Susan knew I was looking, called, and told me about a possible job working for her neighbor, Derrick. He runs a property maintenance business and was expanding. The short story is he hired me, probably three quarters time at first, but I wouldn't start for a week or two until he closed a deal to expand his business. I was staying with my Aunt Susan and Uncle Joe until I could afford a place of my own. Through his contacts, Derrick found that Shiloh was looking for help. He took me to her farm, we hit it off and I started the next day. I'd work full time until I started for Derrick, then as much part-time as I could fit.

The next few weeks.

Shiloh had several high school age girls working for her. She paid well and expected them to work hard. She led by example and, surprisingly for their age, most of them were productive workers. I was the oldest employee. I guess after high school, most people either go on to college or look for less physical work. Me, after a lifetime on a dairy farm, I found this work much easier and really enjoyable.

Shiloh had a daughter, Sierra, who looked to be about 2. Rachel, a neighbor's daughter, babysat most of the time. Rachael was home schooled, so her schedule was generally flexible. If she wasn't available, one of the other girls would fill in.

Once I started working for Derrick, my schedule with him was full days Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, half a day Thursday and off Friday. Basically, I worked all my off time for Shiloh, including after work if I finished Derrick's jobs early. Anyone who's grown up farming knows, more often than not, it's a seven-day work week. Cows still need to be milked twice a day. When haying and harvesting season rolls around, the days can get pretty long. So, while I did work long days and weeks, it was not new to me.

A Monday after work.

Shiloh approached me with a proposition.

"Chris, you were a god send to me, and I appreciate everything you do. I've always wanted to expand into farmers' markets, but as you may have gathered, I'm not a people person, I especially don't deal well with men. Thus, I've concentrated on supplying local stores. I've found out there are openings in the market in Appleton Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings in Long Lake. Long lake is somewhat upscale, so we should do well there. Would you be interested in being the front person, dealing with the customers? I'd always be there, but in the background?"

It didn't take much thinking for me to agree.

"When do you want to start?"

"I've found a 12 by 12-foot canopy, the type so common at farmer's markets, and some folding tables that I can pick up tomorrow. We can start on Friday. Unfortunately, this week we'll have to be cash only until I can get accounts set up to process sales electronically. I'm told we can have that by next week."

Friday.

We arrived quite early to allow adequate set-up time. It went smoothly and by closing, we had sold out most of what we brought. Shiloh was definitely pleased.

Saturday.

Again, we had a very good response. Long Lake definitely had a more upscale crowd. Despite a sign stating this week was cash only, there was some grumbling about it. I assured people that next week we would be able to process electronic transactions. Again, we sold out of practically everything. After we got back to Shiloh's and had stored the unsold product in her walk-in cooler, Shiloh asked, "Care for a beer?"

"Actually, that sounds perfect."

We went into the house, sent Rachel home and sat out on the front porch with Sierra asleep in one of those rocking carriers.

"I'm going to start looking for an apartment next week. I've saved up enough for rent, deposits, etc. I'm sure that my aunt and uncle would be glad to not have me sleeping on their pull-out sofa bed."

"You know, you could stay here if you wanted. This house is way too big for Sierra and I. I like you, Chris, and I would enjoy the adult company. I love Sierra, but conversations with a two-year-old are not exactly stimulating."

"I'm not sure that...."

"I suspect I know what you're going to say. Hear me out please."

"Okay."

"I've overheard the girls talk about me. I've seen the looks on some of the town's people's faces. My reputation seems to be a man-hating, lesbian, hippie, bitch. I'm not a man-hater as much as man-distruster, with good reason. I'm definitely not a lesbian, although I can understand why people may think that. I do hire only females, but it's only because they're not males. No one who's worked here could ever say I made anything resembling a lesbian advance on them. I guess I could be classified as asexual, if anything, at this point in my life. I can plead guilty to hippy leanings. It's genetic. And I don't even actually know what a bitch is. Really."

"I don't know what to say. Do you want to explain..."

"No. Not now at least. I have my reasons."

"Let me think about it." We finished our beers and I prepared to leave. "See you tomorrow."

Sunday

I did think about it. After work, Shiloh invited me to the house again. Rachel left, but today Sierra was in a very active phase, alternating between crawling and sort of walking while holding on to whatever was convenient: couch, chair, table. Shiloh grabbed a couple of beers and we sat on the couch.

"What exactly were you offering yesterday?"

"Simply a place to stay that isn't your relative's couch. No strings attached. Sierra and I sleep in the master bedroom, in the ell on this floor. There're five rooms upstairs, two are set up as bedrooms, one with its own bathroom. You'd have your privacy; you can come and go as you wish. Yesterday, I said I'd enjoy some adult company. Afterwards, I realized that I should have been explicit that I don't expect you to sit here every night, but an occasional evening with adult conversation would be nice. We could share meals or not. I'm actually a pretty good cook."

Sierra started to cry.

"Excuse me for a couple of minutes. Dirty diaper time."

While she was gone, I looked around the room. Lots of photos on the walls. I took a quick exploration of the kitchen. Shiloh maintained a neat, clean, well-organized house. I returned to the living room and was admiring a photo of the moon low in the sky over a field of grain. Striking.

"That's in Montana."

"It's beautiful."

"I used to do a lot of photography. Not much time for that recently."

"These photos are all yours?"

"Yes."

"You should try to make at least a little time. You clearly have an eye for your subject matter. I think I may be interested in your proposal. Details?"

"Simple. You can stay here, almost rent free. It's not going to cost me much, except for maybe a bit more for hot water and electricity. Call it $50.00 a month. I get to enjoy your company, at least occasionally. You get a decent place at almost no cost. If we share meals, we share expenses for purchased items. If it didn't work out for you, you could leave at any time with no hard feelings. There is one condition and one possible downside for you. No male company, at least not inside the house. What you do elsewhere is none of my business. You also need to consider what staying here would do to your reputation. After all, you would be staying with a man-hating, lesbian, hippy, bitch, and everyone who cares about that sort of thing knows that being in close proximity such evil things would immediately contaminate you."

I had to laugh at that last comment, which started Shiloh laughing. It was probably the first time I'd heard that.

"I think I'm interested. Despite the possibility of contamination that you present."

We both laughed again.

"There is minor consideration for you. Derrick has us bring our trucks and trailers home every night."

"There's plenty of room in front of the barn."

"When do you want to start this?"

"Anytime you can get packed up."

"Not much to pack. Tomorrow, after work? I can leave the truck here, but I'll need you to drive me to Susan's place in Vienna, since my car is there."

"Swing by when you're done work."

"I should get going. See you tomorrow."

I arrived home and set about packing what little I had. After dinner, I told Susan and Joe that I had found a place and would be out of their hair.

"You can have your family room back."

"That's good news, but we'll miss you. Where's your new place?"

"I'm going to be staying at Shiloh's. Her place is big and I'll have space on the second floor that she doesn't use."

I could see Susan and Joe exchange glances.

"She's not anything like the rumors you've probably heard. She's really very nice."

Monday.

After work, I left my work truck at Shiloh's. She dropped me off at Susan and Joe's. Since I moved all of my belongings from the farm in my car, they all fit back into it. As I was carrying the last suitcase, Susan approached me. The concern on her face was noticeable.