Life Is Too Short Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I dug down deep inside myself to be sure I answered accurately. "No, and I don't hate you. I'm really confused and disappointed but, given the way it sounds, I don't hate you. I have to ask, though, if this was the only time you were unfaithful to Allie."

"The only time. She doesn't know. At least, I hope she doesn't know."

"Are you going to tell her?"

"No. There's no point in hurting her."

"But if I use this to rid myself of Pam, she may decide to spill the beans."

"Shit. I hadn't thought of that. Shit, shit, shit!"

"You may have to tell her before you... before you're uploaded to the cloud so she hears it from the one who loves her, not some vengeful scorned woman."

"Yeah. You're right. Damn!" He paused to think. "I better time it based on when you spring things on Pam, assuming that's what you're gonna do."

"Damn straight. I've taken the high road as long as I can, but now finding out she broke our vows, I'm kicking her to the curb. I've gotta think through things, but you can bet a lawyer gets my call on Monday."

Dave glanced down as a few more tears fell. "Ted, did I do the right thing telling you, or did I screw this up too?"

Never in a million years did I think I'd forgive a guy so quickly for tapping my wife, but that's what I did. There's just so much about Pam that was a mystery to me, and somehow she even caught my best friend in her weird web.

"If things were good between me and Pam, I'd think you just decided to screw up my life to ease your guilty conscience. Given the circumstances I think you did the best you could."

"So, are we okay?"

More tears fell from my friend. I'd never seen him cry before this week, so it felt strange, but it also felt appropriate. I really did love the guy.

"We're good, Dave. You're forgiven, you're still my best friend, and everything I said before still stands."

"You mean you still love me?"

I smiled. "Yeah, but we're not gonna be swappin' spit in the shower."

We talked for three or four hours, brainstorming different ideas and scenarios. By the time I returned to the house, I had a solid framework for a path forward. I then turned my attention to working out the details.

*****

Saturday morning I called my daughter, Kelsi, to see if she and her husband would be home that afternoon. My son-in-law, Bret Lawson, was a really good man and was working his way up in a firm that managed financial portfolios, which included mine. I asked them not to tell Pam I was coming and told them I had some important things to discuss.

I was preparing to leave when I heard the return of her grating voice.

"Where are you going? You need to take me to the hairdressers and clothes shopping."

"No, I don't NEED to do any of that. I have things to do, and you still have a car and license. Use them."

"What's so important that you can't take me? What do you have to do?"

"Things."

"Okay, jerk. What things?"

"My things." I closed the door as the tirade started. Fortunately, the drive to Kelsi's gave me a chance to calm down.

I was greeted with warm hugs from Bret and my daughter. I could see they were anxious and worried that maybe I was sick or had bad news. Bret led off the discussion with a dumb question. "Dad, can I get you a beer?"

I looked at him with my best "duh" face and he ran to the kitchen.

"Kelsi, you need to train him better. The beer should have been in my hand already," I joked.

"Okay, Dad. Get to it. So what's so important? Is somebody sick?"

"Well, yes." Thinking about saying the words made me choke up. "I found out... uh, Dave told me... dang it... Uncle Dave only has a few months left."

"Oh, no! No, no, no." It hit Kelsi hard as her tears fell. She'd spent many an evening on her adopted uncle's lap and she loved him dearly. "How's Aunt Allie? She's gotta be..."

"They're both doing as well as can be expected." Bret handed me my beer and I thanked him. "That's not the main reason I'm here."

Kelsi frowned. "That's as bad as news can get. What can be worse?"

"It's not worse, but it is a big deal for us. I don't know how to say it, so I'm just gonna blurt it out. I'm divorcing your mother."

I would have never guessed Kelsi's response. "It's about time. I don't know what all has changed her, but I can't stand how she treats you."

"Baby, when she's with you guys is she polite and pleasant?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

"I'm glad to hear that. Let me bounce some things off of you two and see what you think."

I shared my plans with them and I was overjoyed that they were excited about how things could go. Their involvement was a huge piece of my agenda for life moving forward.

As I left, they both expressed how much they wanted me to enjoy life again, especially now that I was retired. Kelsi was, and will always be my little girl, and I couldn't love her and Bret more. I hoped I wasn't asking too much of them. Since Bret was also my financial planner, I set up an appointment with him and he offered to have a woman in his office join our meeting because her specialty would be a big help.

*****

My lawyer and I had a lot of heated discussions about my plans for the divorce. I was asking for a number of unusual concessions and, while he saw the logic behind my proposed split of the finances, he didn't think I'd get them past Pam or her lawyer. He finally relented and had the terms drawn up as I requested.

Bret's office had the proposed financial settlement drafted and brought them to me several days later. It took a week for the lawyer to prepare everything. I picked up the legal documents the following Monday, and made my plans to give them to Pam. I planned to share everything with Dave during lunch on Tuesday, and then confront Pam on Wednesday.

I couldn't help but be filled with doubts and second guessing. Fortunately, Dave, Kelsi, and Bret understood that I needed to do this and do it the way I proposed. Their assurance and promise to support my plan with Pam gave me the courage I needed. Pam's response was the greatest unknown, but I had an ace in my pocket. Her affair would never be known past Dave, Allie, and the two of us. I didn't want to threaten or blackmail her, but if needed I had to be sure she knew how important my proposed separation was to me.

*****

Tuesday morning, I beat Dave to the bar and grabbed a booth. Benny seemed a little put out that I didn't sit at the bar and talk to him, but he'd get over it. I just hoped Dave was feeling good enough to join me. That last time I saw him I could tell he wasn't feeling very well. I was relieved when he walked through the door with his customary big smile.

"Hey, Meathead!"

"Geez, Dave. You haven't called me that in ages. Does that mean I've got to call you Shit-for-brains, or SFB again?"

"It fits, doesn't it?"

We did the normal banter while we ate and you'd never guess how sick he was just by looking at him. With the food consumed and plates cleared, it was time to get down to details. I told him my plan, and let him know I was confronting Pam the next day.

"So, SFB, are you going through with telling Allie?"

"I guess I better, and it sounds like it's gotta be tonight."

"Any idea what you're gonna say?"

"Not a clue, but I'll get through it. I just hope during my final weeks that she will still stick with me."

"You don't really doubt that, do you?"

"No, but the thought of hurting her is killing me faster than this damn cancer. Geez, I love that woman more than I can begin to describe. This is gonna pile even more onto her when she has enough heartbreak to deal with."

"How are you otherwise? You're getting a unique perspective on life now. Any profound thoughts or words of wisdom to pass on?"

Staring at nothing in particular, he looked off into space gathering his thoughts. He frowned a bit, then looked directly into my eyes.

"Nothing except this. Ted, you're doing the right thing by trying to live your life to the fullest. I know you wish Pam had been the one at your side through retirement, but it's clear that's not gonna happen. Look at me. I'm learning just how short life can be. I've been retired less than two years, I'm financially set for a long and enjoyable retirement with plenty of reserves to travel and do all the things Allie and I dreamed about, and now I'm not gonna get that chance."

Dave and I have never been the maudlin or serious types, so I decided to go with my gut on my response. "Don't worry, my friend. Allie and I will spend it for you." I grinned hoping I didn't overstep our friendship. Dave cracked up, laughing louder than I think I've ever seen.

"You really are an asshole, aren't you?"

"I'm sorry, man. I couldn't pass that up. You know I wish you could spend it all and go out fifty years from now with nothing left to your name but a smile."

"Yeah. It is what it is. No sense wishing for the impossible. At least I know Allie will be okay financially."

Silence covered us again as we contemplated the events surrounding us. I noticed that Dave started to look nervous again like he did when he told me about the affair. I sensed it was time to pry his thoughts out of his brain again.

"What are you thinking Dave? I see your brain working."

"I've had this thought swirling in my brain and I can't get past it. The weird thing is, your little joke is giving me the courage I need to say the words."

"Oh, shit! What?"

"Ted, I want you to look after Allie when I'm gone."

"Of course I will. I'll do anything I can for her."

"I don't think you understand, Meathead. You'll be free of Pam, and Allie will be... well... I'll be gone. If, by chance, you two find an attraction or perhaps a romance, you have my blessing. In fact, nothing would make me happier."

"Whoa! That's... well..."

"Yeah. Listen, don't think you owe me a response. All I'm asking is that you both open yourselves to the possibility. I mean, you already love each other."

"Yeah. Like sister and brother."

"Ted, that's a foundation that things can grow on. Look, I don't want the two of you finding an attraction and then worrying about what I might think. I just wanted you to be clear where I stood. You both have similar interests, I know you enjoy each other's company, you both want to travel... just think about it when the time is right."

I was shocked at Dave's suggestion, but I could see it came from his heart. He loved Allie and me too, I guess.

"You may have shit for brains, but you have a great heart. Dave, if things progress naturally in that direction, it's good to know how you feel. Either way, I'll be sure Allie is taken care of. You have my word."

"Thanks, Ted. Just so you know, I'll eventually tell her something similar but, for now, I've got to get past telling her about the affair. I think that will be enough for one night."

We parted for our homes and I was immersed in yet another emotional turmoil. What Dave said made me feel good and bad all at the same time. With that piled on top of my plans for Pam, my brain and emotions were on overload.

I wasn't looking forward to confronting Pam. In fact, it was going to be the hardest thing I've ever had to do. As much as she had alienated me in recent years, we had a lot of loving years together. I hoped my preparations designed to take care of her going forward will be enough, and that we would both be happier in the long run. I guessed time would tell.

*****

The day of reckoning arrived faster than I expected. It was the day I would tell Pam how both our lives were going to change. Dave and I were meeting for lunch, and then I had to face the one-woman firing squad. I had no idea how she would respond, but the results were set in stone as far as I was concerned.

I was in the bar getting ready for lunch when a smiling Dave walked in.

"Hey, Meathead!"

He gave me a bear hug when I stood to greet him.

"Geez, SFB. You're in a great mood. I guess your talk with Allie went well?"

"You could say that. She is some woman. Get this--she knew about the affair long ago."

"What! How?"

"She was able to put pieces of the puzzle together and figure it out. She also knew it was short and long over, and decided to forgive me without my asking. Man, I love her somethin' fierce."

They evidently had a long talk, and Allie seemed to understand what Pam was going through. It also explained why Allie seemed cold toward Pam in recent years. I always assumed Pam's attitude was the reason, but Allie was not happy that she targeted Dave.

Dave finished his lunch, then made me promise to come to their house after the big confrontation and I said I would. Then as he headed home to Allie, I decided to get a chaser with my last beer for some liquid courage before facing Pam. I was dreading it, but I needed it to be over.

When I ran out of reasons to procrastinate, I knew it was time. I swore I heard someone playing Taps.

*****

Thanks for reading! Chapter two will be up in a day or so depending upon Literotica'a schedule.

12