All Comments on 'Life on Another Planet Ch. 32-34'

by coaster2

Sort by:
  • 24 Comments
ag2507ag2507over 6 years ago
Abrupt

I felt strangely dissatisfied at the end. I think that you slowly disengaged from the characters and by this episode were just moving them around the board. You left so many dangling plot opportunities that the end was unexpected and abrupt. None the less, a cracking good tale. Perhaps I got too invested in it and am just morning it's demise...

A

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Revisiting the 1960s timeline then going back to the future introduced a huge uncertainty. I find the way this story ended to be unsettling.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
UUUHHHH WHAT?

That was a bit abrupt don't ya think why is he going back and forth how you just chopped it off. The story is good but it could have done so much more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Ending

Terrible abrupt ending, did you get tired of them?

bigbob2406bigbob2406over 6 years ago

Great story except you truncated the end somewhat !!!

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdover 6 years ago
Loved this "open-ended" story

The characters were outstanding. I thought you were going for a "Wizard of Oz" scenario where Jessie was seeing a colorized world of characters that related to his real life. Still, I didn't mind leaving the ending up for grabs. Nice job!

arrowglassarrowglassover 6 years ago
So enjoy your imagination!

Sorry this has to end with no explanation, but que sera sera! A great read!

AukweirdAukweirdover 6 years ago
An open_ended "ending"

What if'ssssss....

So now you have many open opportunities for something to write when you can't think of anything to write!!

Really enjoyed your effort here.

Thank you.

imatrojanmanimatrojanmanover 6 years ago
Just an idea . . .

Once again I enjoyed your efforts tremendously! I too though felt a little unfulfilled with the ending. My thought to resolve that though is to maybe have a "Terminator" type time paradox solution of John Connor sending his father back in time to conceive him. Maybe have Jesse's father, after his son died working on time travel as a way to be able to go through time to find a cure for his son to prevent his death. After father dies, being unsuccessful but close. One of his late in career protégées takes up his work in secret after company is sold. Maybe a woman assistant who was in love with his Dad secretly, but never realized. She continued to work to fulfill her fantasy give his father a child by bringing back his lost son. His back and forth is result of bugs in the system. Also the people in both places is part as well. Later he can meet an old woman who is responsible to resolve the ending.

WistfulSeniorWistfulSeniorover 6 years ago
Left hanging

I enjoyed the story line a great deal and I found myself fully engrossed with the characters. The premise of the story appeared to be satisfyingly unique. However, I must agree with others, the ending was very abrupt and does not appear up to your usual standards. Major questions are left hanging, especially with timeline variability and his adaptation with time shifting.

hardheadd1hardheadd1over 6 years ago
Thanks

Thank you for such a wonderful read. Looking forward to other stories from you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great

Another great story by one of my favorite authors.

Boyd Percy

meme165meme165over 6 years ago
Another great story

I was almost expecting an epilogue set in 2061, when he was working on an experimental time machine that could only work in 50 year increments, and the experiment somehow had gone wrong and that was why he was skipping between lives

Not that it needs and epilogue, thank you for another great story

AmbivalenceAmbivalenceover 6 years ago
Not so much... and not because *how* it happened was unexplained...

He's decided that he isn't going to tell the future Kirsten about the last trip (and likely any others)... he probably won't tell the past one at all (having seen how it affected the future one)...

So he'll be in both relationships if he continues to bounce with a hidden lie...

And what if something physically changes for him...? Breaks a leg for instance... Will that move with him...? And if so, how will he explain it...?

And no matter how *similar* the two Kirstens are, they're two people... so he's in love with two people and needs to keep their differences separate... think he'll succeed to the point neither ever figures something real odd is going on with him...?

"We just talked about this yesterday. How could you have forgot all about it?" (after a retrip that encompassed years)...

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Make it a sci-fi movie.

I think this whole story would make a fantastic sci-fi movie. Think about it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Outstanding!

I'm looking at the whole book: I'm no expert and I have never read much sci-fi, but I know what I like. This story really grabbed me. I think it held my attention more than any of your other tales I've enjoyed and that's saying a lot. At about the time before he returned to the 1960s I was certain it was going to end as a tragedy which I thought would be out of character for you, but it already was that. And I had no inkling how you were going to finish it. I could read your tales for the rest of my life (I'm 75) if you keep writing - and it wouldn't even have to be as different as this one was. I feel you are definitely a very talented author, for whatever value that is to you.

30 -"Thistle"-

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
believable

A very nicely crafted story. You managed to tread a very fine line between the barely possible and the impossible. A little stilted in the dialogue stakes but quite acceptable.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
The suspense was almost unbearable. Even Hitchcock wouldn't be sure !!

Probably the best story on this website. Nothing further to say (except stay in B.C.).

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Glad I took the time

A marvelous story that had me more than a bit uncertain in the beginning as to how you would make this work. So very glad I took a leap of faith and stayed with the story. Excellent character development plus it made me happy to read this tale!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Fantastic 5*

My old bestest of best has been replaced with this one. I was looking for Eve to be found in the 1960's and for the two of them to work something up so they could link the transference. A thought I had was Jesse in the 2000's would meet his grandchildren from the 1960's. A most provocative story.

tinfoilhattinfoilhatalmost 4 years ago
Oh my Oh my

What a wonderful story. The concept was fascinating and you pulled it off superbly. Thanks coaster. Well done.

PartlyPartlyalmost 4 years ago
Wow

This was a really fun story to read. Unexpected Twists and turns and very well done. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
You haven't been around since 2017, so it's very unlikely you will...

ever read this, but here goes, anyway.

You lost steam about the time you had Jesse go back to '61. You also missed the mark on background details of '61, by about ten years, or so.

I get the feeling you decided to send him back, then got the idea to have him meet the same two bombshell blondes before you worked out the complete story arc. It happens. You created some timeline/arc problems which would be monumentally difficult to work out. I think that caused you to go for the '...and they lived happily ever after.' ending.

It's unfortunate because you had a very good Sci-Fi time travel tale in the makings. I've been reading Sci-Fi for nearly 50 years, with time travel themes being my favorite. You would likely have had to write as much to unravel the plot knot, as you did to create it. LOL And that would be a daunting task.

Since the Lit submissions are re-posts of previously written works, their posting date tells us nothing about their creation date. Since I haven't read much of your work on Lit, I don't have much data to compare, but I'd guess this was an earlier work. Not a first, but certainly early.

Guess I'll have to read some others, and see how they line up.

Thanks for sharing your imagination, and thanks for all the work it takes to put together a Lit sub.

Regards,

GeoD

servant111servant111over 2 years ago

Love this one...yes it has some rough spots....like being sent back to 61 and finding both girlfriends. This one really needed some explication as to why the switch... As a reader I found that you needed to provide something extra in order for me to adequately suspend disbelief...but the characterization was so good that I still couldn't put it down. Sorry that you haven't been back since 17 cause you are one of the very best authors on this site. Would love to see where you continued your writing because you are simply an amazing writer.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous