Life Review Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Denza nuzzled into his neck and shuddered, "I would agree with her. If you have no way home and are stuck here for the foreseeable future, what is the point in punishing yourself?"

Shawn felt the blood drain from his stomach only to be filled with nervous energy. His mouth went dry, so he swallowed a few times before answering, "I want to. I really, really want to. But it's too soon. Don't I have to at least try?"

"Try what, Shawn?" Denza purred into his ear. Her free hand had found its way onto his thigh and was gently stroking his leg.

"I don't know. Try to get home? Mourn? I feel excited when I should feel guilty," Shawn tried to extricate himself from the frisky Elf.

Denza wrapped herself tighter around him and began kissing up his neck and taking his earlobe between her teeth and breathlessly said into ear, "Or you could stop torturing yourself and just take me. Here and now on the forest floor. I know you can feel how badly I want you just as I can feel how badly you want me."

Shawn struggled both internally and externally, "Denza, stop! We can't. This isn't you!"

Denza let out a low growl and nipped at the skin just beneath his ear, "Don't tell me who I am." She reached down and tried to worm her hand into the front of his pants.

Shawn gripped her wrist. They struggled against one another before falling over, Denza landing on top of him and straddling his hips. Her eyes were glazed with desire as she grinned down at him in triumph. She began unlacing her leather vest, "You've denied me too long, Shawn. I have needs and the bond just keeps making it worse. I have never desired a man before, and this is your fault. You reduced me to such a state."

Shawn balled his fists and squeezed his eyes shut. He focused on the bond and saw the link between the two of them pulsating with desire, each end echoing in a feedback loop. Groaning in frustrated he gripped the bond with his will, strangling the link between them. Denza let out a surprised squawk and fell over clutching her head.

"You bastard!" Denza moaned as she writhed on the ground. Shawn couldn't feel her emotions with his choke hold on their bond, but if the pain that was lancing through his head was anything like hers, he could sympathize.

"I'm sorry, but this isn't right," Shawn winced as he got up. He felt the fire of desire dying in his loins and took a deep steadying breath.

"I get it, no touching. Gods, stop whatever it is that you're doing!" Denza curled herself into a fetal position.

Shawn let go of his hold on the bond and sighed as the pain subsided. He felt a surge of indignation from the bond. Surprised, Shawn inspected more closely and noticed that the spike of emotion wasn't from Denza, but from the bond itself. A small fragment of implanted memory surfaced that spoke of some magic having some level of sentience. He sent his own wave of displeasure at the bond. Denza whimpered and looked at him with sad and confused eyes brimming with tears.

"Sorry, that wasn't meant for you," Shawn apologized quickly.. He focused once more and tried again. This time he thought of the bond as its own entity, instead of something like a bridge. He felt the presence recoil and slink away in a way that reminded him of when he used to scold his dog for pooping in the house. He sent a second wave of disappointment. The bond responded by sending a chastened feeling back towards him. "Wow, talk about strange."

Denza sat up and looked at him wearily, "What is?"

"The bond is alive," Shawn mused.

"What are you talking about? I can't feel anything except that you were mad and disappointed in me," Denza looked down to see her state of undress and blushed as she quickly redressed.

"I said that wasn't for you, but yeah, you did get a little pushy," Shawn couldn't help running his eyes over her body.

Denza noticed his gaze and her blushed deepened, "I don't know what came over me."

"I do," Shawn said. "At least I think I do. For some reason, the bond has a mind of its own, and when I forcibly stopped the link between us it seemed angry. Then we sort of communicated in a way and it reminded me of when I would have to discipline my pet back at home. So I think it must be acting out of some drive to get us to become more intimate for some reason. It's already proven to influence us in times of danger to protect one another."

Denza frowned, an expression Shawn had come to dislike because he thought she was much more beautiful when she smiled even if it was a rare sight, "Information on the bond is kept secret from non-elves, and even further so that only the males know. So I don't have anything to offer except speculation."

"We are in the same boat then," Shawn offered her a hand to help her up which she took reluctantly. They stood close to each other for a long moment simply looking into each others eyes. He could feel the raging emotions inside of Denza and sent a wave of soothing contentment and forgiveness. He wrapped his arms around her and she melted into him. There was no inflamed desire in the embrace, and even the bond purred in contentment. He allowed himself a small smile.

"You sleep in the tent tonight," he pushed Denza towards the shelter. She began to protest when he silenced her with a finger on her lips. "Don't argue. I have a lot to think about so I doubt I'll get any sleep tonight."

Denza studied his face and then offered a small smile. She kissed him gently on the cheek and retreated into the confines of the tent without another word. Shawn touched his cheek where her lips had touched and enjoyed the warmth that suffused his insides. He took Denza's place against the tree and laid his head against the rolled up fur.

"I'm sorry, Jenny," Shawn whispered to the night sky. "I don't know when I'll see you again, but I hope you'll understand."

Shawn stared moodily into the dying flames and contemplated his lot in life. He swore to be by Cassidy's side, and he would see that oath through until the end. He looked at the tent where the two women slept, and the chest of gold was hidden away. Cassidy was right, he really did need to have more fun and stop moping around. He began to think of all the ways he could make use of the gold they had until the sun broke through the canopy, then began to break camp before the girls woke.

The trio set out once more on their final leg to Fort Rolver once the girls woke and ate breakfast. Denza took the lead and set them at a brisk pace that Shawn had to push himself to keep. The trip took two and a half days with the last day seeing them carve a snaking path down the ridge line Shawn and Cassidy had climbed on their first day in Niverra.

Cassidy was ready for civilization by the time the large pentagonal walls came into sight, and for as much as Shawn loved the outdoors, he had to agree. . The fort was nestled between two sheer cliffs in the natural valley they formed. Two bunker like structures were built into the cliffside that bristled with bastila and had what looked like three rows of twelve arrow-slits below each of the fortifications

Two walkways reached out from the fort and connected to the sheer cliff sides and their fortifications. Each structure was supported by four massive arches that seemed to cut the valley in half. From their vantage point they could see that the stronghold was incorporated into much of the rear wall. The lead point of the pentagonal structure faced south towards where the valley spread out and opened into flatlands and sparse forest.

As they neared the two colossal gates they noticed a small queue of people waiting on the left side of the worn dirt road while a steady stream of people left from the right most gate to go about their travels. When they had made their way down the ridge Denza had given them a brief warning about what to expect once they neared the fort. This warning however, did not prepare them for the shocking sight of people chained in manacles being led into the city by a pair of men in good quality clothes: They wore waist jackets, slacks, and polished boots. The pair had seen such styles before in their own world, but these appeared much more rustic.

The two men had arrived in a carriage pulled by two groomed chestnut colored horses. Once the two had finished their conversation with the guards and were waved in, they got back into their vehicle and trundled along with their slave cargo train trailing listlessly behind them. Cassidy's mouth was hanging open in sheer disbelief that people could be treated in such a way. Shawn looked back at Denza who had fallen into his shadow a few steps behind him wearing only a loose fitting pair of trousers and a plain shirt two sizes too large for her.

When the line moved forward, Shawn took Denza's advice and placed himself in the lead. They walked up to the gate guards who called for them to halt. There were five guards in total who stood in pairs on either side of the gates. They wore armor that seemed to be the standard medieval style: Iron caps, cuirasses, chainmail, gauntlets, and sabatons. The four that stood guard just outside the gate were armed with heavy shields and spears. Historically, such a loadout was designed to repel raiders on horseback, but spears were also effective at keeping the general populace in line. The fifth guard, who seemed to be a ranked officer, most likely a lieutenant of the guard, addressed Shawn.

"State your business," He bid in a bored tone.

"Good afternoon, Sir" Shawn said awkwardly, unsure how to address the man. "We are here for business."

The lieutenant studied him for a moment, then his eyes fell on Cassidy and Denza, "What business do you have at the fort?"

"We planned on visiting the guilds to register and take care of some finances after our long travels," Shawn answered.

The man's gaze had stayed on Denza as they spoke, which made Shawn uncomfortable, "Where do you travel from?" His eye snapped back to Shawn as he began to study the frame holding their belongings. Shawn had long since become used to the weight and barely noticed it anymore.

The question stumped Shawn and Cassidy raised her eyebrows at him. He cast around for a name when he remembered a city Denza had spoken of a few times, "Oculsa, Sir."

Five sets of eyes snapped to Shawn, then to Denza. The five men subtly shifted into more aggressive postures. Cassidy slipped her hand into his and gave it a gentle squeeze to let him know she was aware of their situation. The lieutenant glared at them suspiciously, "That's a long way to travel on foot. Your slave is unshackled, would you mind explaining that?"

Cassidy let out a small haughty laugh, "Oh dear, I forgot the Imperials were so hung up on that. Please forgive us, we don't make a habit of chaining our servants. It impedes their effectiveness and destroys their resale value."

The lieutenant looked Cassidy up and down, his eyes lingering longer than necessary on her curves, "You know the policy, Madam."

"Yes, yes. Don't worry about little ol'Gertrude. She's been our faithful slave for going on fifteen years now. She is well trained, I assure you," Cassidy waved dismissively at Denza.

"Rules are rules, Madam. How are we to expect that you keep your slave in line? Elves are particularly unruly creatures," The lieutenant said patiently.

"How we keep her in line? Because she doesn't want to be burned, thats why." Cassidy laughed again, but there was a hard edge to her laugh that was unnerving. Shawn had to admit she was quite the actress, she might have missed her calling.

"Burn her? What do you mean?" The lieutenant glanced back at his fellow guards who glanced at each other, all equally stumped, "What, with a brand of some sort?"

"Oh, heavens no. Brands are for marking one's property. We don't tolerate disobedience or mistakes in our family, isn't that right dear?" Cassidy fluttered her lashes at Shawn who nodded solemnly.

"That doesn't explain your meaning," The lieutenant pressed. Shawn figured they were being questioned far more than normal, but Cassidy seemed to have her audience on tenterhooks. It seems the Imperials likes the two B's: Beauty and Brutality.

Cassidy raised her open hand and produced a small ball of orange flame that floated above her palm. The small orb grew until it was the size of a beach ball and was spitting embers into the air as the forces contained in the sphere struggled to escape. The guards reacted by holding their shields in front of them and hastily lowering their weapons, with only the lieutenant keeping his composure. Her smile gleamed in the light of the spitting flames, "I do mean burn, Sir. What else would I mean? Gertrude had a brother that proved to be too willful, now he is providing fertilizer for my flower garden."

Denza let out fearful squeak and cowered behind them, clutching herself as if trying to ward off the attention of her mistress. This act, which Shawn felt Denza might not have been fully acting when he felt the ice of fear lance through him for a short moment, seemed to convince the guards. Cassidy let her ball of flame dissipate into nothing. The lieutenant cleared his throat and waved them on through, "Good enough for me. Stay out of trouble and enjoy your stay in the fort, Madam."

Cassidy beamed at the man and strode through the gate arm-in-arm with Shawn, with a meek Denza trailing behind them. The pair didn't notice the hateful gazes of the men directed towards Denza's retreating figure as they merged with the street traffic.

The inside of Fort Rolver was what one could call geometric. Whoever the architect was had an eye for precise angles and lines. The buildings along the streets followed the same design doctrine. Most of the structures were normal cubes and rectangles, but those on street corners were sharply triangular. Shawn was impressed with the precision of the construction, but questioned whether the form supported the function.

Looking around, Cassidy remarked, "Looks like we lucked out. I was expecting shacks and thatch roofs. They have classic brick and mortar."

They continued past a few of the brick buildings when a glint of light shown off a clear pane embedded in the front of a shop towards the center side of the thoroughfare, "And glass windows, too."

"No street signs, or directories," Shawn muttered, glancing down the intersections they passed. He had been looking for a sign of some kind that might direct him to one of the guilds, so he settled for stopping by a guard on a street corner. "Excuse me, could you direct us to the Merchant's guild and the Expeditionary guild?"

The guard turned his head from the passing train of slaves that were being led towards the center of the fort, "New in town, eh?"

"Yes, sir." Shawn nodded his head towards Cassidy who flashed him a winning smile. "We have business to attend to, but we've admittedly never been to the fort before."

The guard gave Cassidy an appreciative look, then turned a hungry gaze on Denza, "You've got balls leaving your slave unshackled. It's like you're inviting trouble."

Shawn sensed Denza stiffen behind him, but he forced himself to smile, "It's been a long time since we've been to the Imperium. We got hell for it at the gate but, what can you do? We do things our own way. Gertrude is an obedient girl, aren't you?"

"Yes, my lord," Denza said demurely. Shawn could feel the shame and indignation flare up. He attempted to send his apologies down the bond, but it did little to mollify the Elf.

The guard looked at Shawn and Cassidy with a new intensity as if seeing them in a new light, "Word of advice, either put her on a leash or leave her away from the public eye. This is a military fort, but there might be those folk that would try and take a pretty thing like her away from you. You look like you can hold your own, but who knows what attention you might attract. You understand?"

Shawn resisted the urge to glance around him and forced himself to smile again, "Thanks for the advice. We planned on getting boarding here as soon as we finished our business. So the guilds would be where, exactly?"

The guard jerked a thumb over his shoulder towards the center of the fort where the line of slaves had been led, "All center streets lead to the market, the guilds are located on opposite ends. Look for the three story buildings, signs out front."

Shawn nodded and ushered Cassidy off towards the market. As soon as they were out of earshot he said, "This was not what I was expecting. The bigotry here is insane."

"I know, it's disgusting isn't it? It isn't even just the Elves, there are human slaves too," Cassidy looked pale.

Denza quickened her pace to stand just behind them and quietly said, "This is how it is across the entire country. The Imperium follows the law of conquest. To the victor goes the spoils."

"So if someone were to ambush us and best us, what would happen? You would be taken?" Shawn glanced around nervously. Suddenly he felt like he was swimming in shark infested waters.

"No, you would be killed. Cassidy and I would be taken as slaves or sold. Look around, do you see any unescorted women?" Denza fought to keep the distress from her voice.

Shawn looked and surely enough, any women he saw had escorts ranging from one guard to a full retinue. He did see one woman wearing a wide brimmed hat and a simple cream colored sundress, "What about that one? She looks alone and unarmed."

"Then she is either extremely prominent, confident, or both," Denza said, glancing up at the women as she disappeared down a side street.

"Does being part of a guild offer some protection?" Cassidy asked.

"Being part of the Expeditionary Guild permits you to wear your armor and carry weapons in public as that is part of the job. Those working for the Merchants Guild would have an emblem of some kind on their clothes. I've met a few in Velaine who had badges made or tattoos inked onto their skin. While it would stop most people, It is the determined and the idiotic that must be watched for."

"So we get our membership and we solve our problem," Cassidy said cheerfully.

"For you two, maybe. I don't think it would be wise for me," Denza's apprehension was obvious.

"This is what you've been working for, Denza," Shawn reassured her. "If anyone has an issue with you, they have an issue with us."

"Be careful that your confidence doesn't breed arrogance," Denza cautioned. "We might have bested the likes of Cadder, but there are those like Tricha who can stand toe to toe with a creature like Saoirse. You and Cassidy are gifted beginners, but you are still only that."

Shawn blinked, then shot a pointed look at Cassidy who in turned looked sheepish, "You have a very good point, Denza. We have been lucky. Saoirse very nearly killed all of us, we need to be careful of underestimating people when we still have no idea how things work here."

"I suggest we get moving. I've been eye-raped enough standing here," Cassidy glared at a passing offender.

Shawn led them down the street and into the central market. The plaza mirrored the dimensions of the fort walls, with the five sides facing each other. In the middle of the bustling hub was a large golden statue of an imposing man in resplendent armor. A plumed helm was tucked under one arm with the other resting on a sword with its point down on the plinth. The face of the monument was sculpted into a stern visage that gazed over the central market like a father watching his unruly children.

"The fort's founder: General of the Imperial army, Ignatius Archellion," Denza muttered quietly. "He pushed back the southern tribes and expelled the independants from these lands. A war hero to them, a tyrant to the denizens of the south."

"Looks like a real charmer," Cassidy remarked as they passed the ostentatious monument.

123456...8