Lifeboat

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You can explain it to him in person," said Enod reassuringly "You'll be seeing Brond and your mother in a few days, I promise."

"I hope so! Oh, I hope so!" said L'Gia.

Enod smiled and appreciated the girl even more. In her moments of vulnerability she was amazingly lovely. So... lovely. He turned to the control panel and tried to look like he was focusing on the readouts instead of dwelling on her loveliness.

'Rein it in, Enod,' he said to himself. 'Rein it in.'

***

Games only lasts so long. They had both managed brief cat naps, but once awake they started talking.

T'Laine was beyond charmed. Although she always took her daughter's tales with a grain of salt, it had been hard for her to ever view Brond with an unbiased eye given his history with L'Gia. After several hours of conversation, she was, quite frankly, smitten.

Brond was earnest, and focused, and even with all of his awkwardness, he was a gentle, kind spirit. If her daughter was to be stuck in a remote station with a boy, she was already thrilled that it was Brond. They would...well, L'Gia and Brond would teach each other a great deal, both from a relationship and a physical standpoint.

In regard to his physical attributes, having almost a full day off seeing him in just his boxer-briefs, T'Laine was increasingly impressed with how the young man had filled out. He had always been slender, but in the past few years his muscles had grown to suit his frame in... well, in rather eye-catching ways. She had never seen Enod in such a state at a young age, and she liked seeing Brond to get some idea of how his father might have looked.

T'Laine had to shake her thoughts from... where they had been going.

Their conversation went in every direction, including L'Gia. Brond was enchanted with T'Laine's stories of her daughter during childhood. Seeing the young redhead through her mother's eyes had already begun to soften his opinion of L'Gia.

"But Brond, what about girls," T'Laine said. "You've told me all about your friends; Tenz, Denshi, Murt. Weren't there any girls?"

"Oh..." stammered Brond. "There was Khera, she and I were always partners in science labs. We took grand prize in the design competition last year."

"Khera, I see," said T'Laine. "She's quite nice, and pretty. Did your experimentation extend beyond the science lab?"

"Oh, sometimes we'd work on stuff at her house. Oh... Oh!"

Brond blushed three shades of red, and it was cute because T'Laine saw it spread from his chest upward.

"No," stammered Brond. "I think there was a while where I wanted to, you know, and she didn't. Then, I think she did and I didn't. But, I have kissed someone. We played five minutes in the stars at a couple of parties, and when I took Eiska home from the ball we... you know, kissed. But, if you're asking about girls... nothing too serious... or anything.

If T'Laine hadn't been smitten before, now she was experiencing a full-on crush for this boy. A full on mom-crush, of course, but still. Here he was, a nineteen year-old virgin and sweeter than anything.

"Now, one more question, young man," she said. "I've obviously heard from L'Gia, but I'd like to get your side of the story about how your feud began. I know how it ended, the most legendary fight between two cadets in our colony's history. What I'd like to know is how it started."

"Oh," said Brond. "Well, she had one her friends...Kereen, it was. She had Kereen say she wanted to go with me, and when I went to take her on a date, I knocked on their quarters and there was L'Gia, and all of her friends, telling me it was all a prank and I deserved it."

"But, what happened before that?" asked T'Laine.

"Nothing," said Brond. "Honestly, one day, L'Gia just decided she hated me."

"Well, that's not what I heard. I heard that you spoofed some love notes from some boy who was a year ahead of you and made her think he liked her."

"Oh?" said Brond. "I never did that. I did a lot of things I'm not proud of against your daughter. I remember every one of them, but I never did anything like that."

T'Laine had gotten the chance to know him over the past day, and she knew he was speaking the truth. She knew beyond a shadow of a doubt.

"Well, we'll have to get to the bottom of this when we land, won't we?" she said.

"I guess we will," said Brond.

Before he could say anything else, the system chimed in.

"Warning, corrective burn scheduled in four minutes. Please stow any equipment and prepare for shock padding inflation."

"Acknowledged," said Brond.

They quickly stowed their gear and then looked at each other, questioningly.

"You know," said T'Laine," it would probably help if we were a little better prepared this time. I'd rather not have any more bruises."

"Okay," said Brond. "What do you suggest.

"Well, come here," she said, gesturing to him.

Although their limbs had brushed now and again in their weightless state, it had been mostly casual. Now, she pulled him into her embrace. He was shockingly aware of the softness of her supple, glistening skin and how it felt as they met, sliding across each other.

"There you go," she said, reassuringly. "Now, you put one leg between mine, I'll put one between yours. Now, wrap your arms around my shoulders, I'll wrap mine around your waist. There, does that feel good?"

Brond's vision seemed to be blurring and it was rather hard for him to form words. He'd made out with a couple of girls before, and here he was getting to second-stage with his future stepmom. He was happy that he could mumble out a basic, "Mm Hm".

"Good," said T'Laine. "I think this should work. System, inflate padding to 90% and let us adjust."

"Inflating," said the System.

The padding of the pod expanded all around them and wedged them together, increasing the pressure of her hands on his back, and her leg in his crotch.

She was also not immune to this proximity. His skin seemed to burn against hers, and not from temperature. However, she knew she had to be the reasonable one here.

"How does that feel?" she asked. "Comfortable?"

"Yes," murmured Brond, but his voice came out shaky.

"Good boy," she said. "System, how many Gs is this burn?"

"We will achieve a maximum acceleration of 9.9 gravities for approximately 12 seconds," replied the system.

"Oh dear," said T'Laine. "That's past my limit."

What she said next surprised even her.

"Now Brond, be a good boy," she whispered, almost seductively, into his ear. "I'm going to lose consciousness. Don't go taking advantage of me while I'm out, even if I am the ship-milf for three years running."

"I uh... no...I..."

Brond tried to find some sort of reply, but the computer interrupted.

"Engaging first burn."

The shock padding inflated fully, forcing their bodies even more firmly together.

Brond felt T'Laine's body relax as she lost consciousness. He fought the response for as long as possible, but he too felt his mind slipping away. Even with the brutal acceleration, it was dreamlike to be falling asleep thus with a gorgeous redhead wrapped in his arms.

***

Enod looked around the site. It was windy, dry, and somewhat desolate. Even the nearby sea didn't seem promising. The constant wind whooshed in their ears and the water stretched in greyish grey waves for as far as the eye could see.

The colonist and scientist in him knew not to put too much stock in this initial reaction. They had arrived on a windy, overcast day. It was silly to allow this first impression to shape his idea of what the world would look like. That was their job, after all, to shape this planet into a verdant, green paradise.

He also knew the world felt a bit empty without Brond and T'Laine with them.

They had been on the ground for twelve hours. Their initial duties had been to secure and anchor the shuttle. Computer models predicted that weather conditions should be somewhat calm, but they had to prepare for the remote possibility of any sudden high winds. Until the supply pods touched down (if they ever did), the shuttle would be their home and lifeline.

After securing the shuttle, they ran several tests to assure that any microbes they might be introducing were safe to the planet. The last thing they wanted to do was inadvertently drop a spore in the ocean that resulted in an algae bloom months later and killed all native species. They also ran scans on potential threats to their own safety.

The good news; the air was breathable, if thin. They would need to utilize oxygen maximizers until acclimated. After seeding, it would be approximately two years before oxygen would begin approaching earth levels. The other good news was there were also nutrients. There were massive quantities of carbon-based bacteria and small-cell organisms in the ocean that the conversion units on the shuttle could turn to edible food. Lastly, the soil was healthy. Although large native plant life was minimal, the soil itself was teeming with life that would be complementary to rootstocks. In her first samples, L'Gia had been extremely pleased that she would need to do little work introducing terran bacteria to the soil in order for plants to grow. Her job would be more along the lines of figuring out which plants and grasses to introduce to start the process that would work in tandem with the native microbes.

Yet, with all of these good indicators, it did not change the fact that they were currently standing on a desolate, fairly lifeless world (at least by their standards,) and they were fearful for their loved ones.

It also didn't help that it was hot. It was currently 35 degrees,down a couple of degrees from the hottest that day. Enod mused how his grandfather, raised on the planet of New Texas, had always said, 'A hundred is thirty-eight'. New Texas had still used the imperial system. Grandpa would have stated that they had reached one hundred degrees that day, by his standards, and it seemed that they would be living in 90+ degree conditions in grandpa's terms. It would definitely take some getting used to, even with cooling fabrics.

Enod was finishing up gathering water samples from some small streams near their site. He returned at around the same time as L'Gia who bore here own sample case.

"Nanobots released in twenty locations," she said, wiping a smudge of dust from her face. "Soil seems promising and I'll have the bots' reports by tomorrow morning.

"Sounds good," said Enod.

"It's...it's nice, yeah?" said L'Gia attempting false optimism.

"Well, I wouldn't go that far," said Enod. "It's a start, that's for certain, but I think right now 'nice' is a stretch.

"Yes, it is," she said.

Enod saw a tear streaming down her face. He reached over and lifted her chin in his fingers and brushed her tears with his sleeve. The dust simply smudged it even worse and he chuckled.

"You know what you need," he said. "A shower, and some sleep. We're both operating on just a few hours after a pretty damned emotionally draining experience. Let's put the work aside and get some shut-eye, what do you say?"

"That sounds like a good plan," said L'Gia, attempting a smile.

The sleds had been pulled out of the shuttle and fastened with cables onto the roof. This cleared space for the shower and bunk unit. Two bunks on either side, and the shower beyond those.

"How about I start on a meal and you get the first shower?" suggested Enod as they stepped inside. The door sealed, and they were able to step out of the hum and whirling of the wind on their new planet.

"That's very generous of you," said L'Gia. "I'll take that offer."

She stepped back into the bunk area and started removing her flight suit. Enod politely turned his attention to the food supplies, rummaging through the freeze dried stock they would be using until the shuttles replicator could fully certify that the carbon stocks they pulled from the water could be fully synthesized with no danger.

"Hmm, spaghetti carbonara for dinner and brownies for dessert," he said to himself. "Nothing like some good comfort food on a day like today."

"Ugh, I look a mess!" said L'Gia from the back. "Dr. Stigsen, why didn't you say something?"

Enod turned to see L'Gia standing in just her sports bra and panties in the shower unit. He blushed, a bit, taking in her nubile young body, before processing what she'd said.

"What? Your face?" he asked.

"Yes," she said with a chuckle. "How could you even look at me?"

"I uh... it's just tears and a bit of dust," he said. "You still look amazing."

L'Gia realized her current state.

"I do, huh?" she said, grinning. "I didn't think you noticed such things, Dr. Stigsen."

Enod stammered. "I was talking about your face. Now, uh, get in that shower."

"If you insist, Dr. Stigsen," she said. "I promise to look much more presentable in a little while."

L'Gia activated the plexi-curtain that sealed sealed the shower unit tightly to assure no water entered the main cabin. Such units could be used in space, too, and were equipped with multiple fans, heaters, and vacuum units that retrieved all water after the shower.

What the plexi-curtain didn't seal out was light. Though it was opaque, it was just barely so and left little to the imagination. The silhouette on the plexi-curtain moved and even bounced in captivating ways.

Enod blushed and turned to focus again on his 'cooking', limited as it was. Hot water had been added to the spaghetti and the rehydrated brownies were now baking in the convection oven.

Enod turned back to his climate and water reports. The water on the planet seemed to be extremely promising. He wished T'Laine were there, for more than one reason. He wished for her expertise in evaluating the water, but he also wished for her presence because of a growing temptation who was currently showering. 'Think about the spaghetti' he told himself as he heard the splashing beyond the translucent barrier. 'Damned rejuve!'

As L'Gia lathered herself up, she berated herself silently.

'Did you just flirt with Dr. Stigsen?' she whispered in her mind. 'What were you thinking?'

As she continued scrubbing off the fine dust which seemed to have found its way everywhere, she found her mind drifting in unconscionable ways. She was surprised that she let her mind wander to what might happen if her mother didn't make it. Would they...possibly...

'Stop it!' she berated herself. Her mother was still alive, she just knew it.

Still, Enod and her mother weren't contracted, not yet. They were only considering it and...

'STOP IT!' she whispered in a barely audible tone. Her schoolgirl crush on Dr. Stigsen was in new bloom. He was so knowledgeable, and funny, and his low mature voice seemed to rumble through her body...

She shook her head in anger and resolved to think about the soil samples.

Still, when she was near finishing her shower, she did apply exfoliant under her arms and down below. She practically purred at the feeling of her silky smooth mound as she washed herself one final time.

She emerged in her favorite laze-around gear, a pair of silk shorts and a crop-top t-shirt that exposed her midriff and covered... enough of her breasts, at least she felt so.

"What smells good out here?" she asked.

"Oh, hi, don't you look...clean," said Enod, trying to sound calm as he took in the young beauty before him.

"Clean. Thank you, Dr. Stigsen, I've never felt so complimented."

He kept wanting to correct her about calling him Dr. Stigsen. He also kept stopping because there was something about the way she said it, with the tiniest lisp between her lovely teeth and full lips.

"Clean is good," he said with a shrug. "I've made spaghetti, which is ready whenever, and brownies will be ready shortly.

"Well, take your own shower and we'll eat together," said L'Gia.

"Yes, ma'am," said Enod. "I'll make it fast."

L'Gia made a show of looking away as he was getting undressed for his shower, but she did manage a glance of a profile as the plexi-curtain was closing. Though she didn't get a view of his equipment, she did get enough of an eyeful. Just a tiny paunch, but muscular arms and a chest with the perfect amount of hair. And legs that were so well built.

Again, she forced her mind into other realms, trying to do all she could to distract herself.

Conditioned by years of service, Enod kept his shower short and emerged in a T-shirt and simple shorts.

They had a pleasant conversation while they ate. As they polished off their brownies, L'Gia felt as though weights had been attached to her eyelids.

"Oh my," she murmured. "I guess I was tired."

"That makes two of us," agreed Enod.

Cleanup was easy with the disposable containers which were pulled into the system, broken down, and recycled. They were both soon in their bunks, taking the lower ones on either side. L'Gia found herself caught in the exhausted state of wishing for sleep and her mind spinning around on her worries.

She kept seeing her mother, lying in a coffin that was getting hotter and hotter. Every time L'Gia would almost fall asleep, that image would shake her. Jerking awake for about the fifth time, she turned to look across the shuttle. Enod, too, was staring up at the ceiling.

"Can't sleep?" she asked.

"No, it isn't coming," he said. "I'm too worried about them, up there."

"Me too," said L'Gia. "Dr. Stigsen, can I make a confession?"

"Sure?" said Enod.

"I used to have terrible nightmares. I had them all the time. I used to have to crawl into my parents' bed."

"Nothing wrong with that," said Enod. "Brond had his share of rough nights as a kid."

"Yeah, but I did it until I was fourteen," said L'Gia. She had turned on her back to stare up at the ceiling so she wasn't looking at him. "Embarrassing, right?"

"A little, I guess," chuckled Enod. "But there is something downright comforting about having another body in bed, I must admit it. Brond's mother and I, we had our differences, and there are many things I don't miss about her. But the way she used to curl up to me in bed. I do miss that."

"It is comforting," said L'Gia. "Knowing you're not alone."

They both sat and kept staring up at the ceiling. A few minutes later, she heard him fumbling around and then the click of a button. She gave a small start when she felt her bunk moving, but then realized that he had switched the configuration for the lower bed to be a double.

As the two bunks connected, she slid over and snuggled up against his body. His warmth was comforting.

"Here you go," he said in his low, reassuring tone.

He lifted his arm and she snuggled onto it, using it as a pillow. Although her mind had entertained a few too many fantasies earlier that day, her body was far too weary to even allow her to venture in that direction. Before she had a chance to utter a 'good night', she was lost to sleep.

***

T'Laine awoke at the feeling of shock padding receding and her body slightly parting from Brond's. She opened her eyes and got her bearings more quickly this time. Brond's arms were still wrapped around her.

"Welcome back to the living," he said.

"How long was I out?"

"Just a few minutes," he said. "I was gone maybe ten seconds or so."

"Chron, it's hot!" she muttered. The heat of the pod coupled with their two bodies being squished together seemed to have doubled the temperature in the place. They were still touching almost everywhere and it was almost unbearable.

"It really is," said Brond.

"System, can you please retract the shock padding?" asked T'Laine.

"Protocol dictates an additional ten minutes of 90% inflation in case of unanticipated collisions or necessary course corrections."

123456...8