Like a Fine Wine

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Rustyoznail
Rustyoznail
426 Followers

'Well actually, having Dan stick around is a highlight. Wonder what I should wear tomorrow? Jeans or a dress? Suppose it depends on where he wants to go,' she thought. 'I should also do something for dinner tonight. Can't leave it all to him."

===

"They were some excellent burgers. Good choice." Dan leaned across the table and clinked his stubbie against Miriam's. "This beer is great. I think we'll visit them tomorrow and see if we can do a deal for the cafe."

Miriam sat back and smiled. "The burgers weren't anything special. I think you were just hungry from wandering around the property."

"No, the burgers and beer are special, and yes, I was a bit peckish. It's a decent walk around a fair chunk of fifty acres."

"It surprised me you weren't on the tractor."

"Yeah, nah, a tractor's no good for that sort of work. A quad bike is better, but it's on the list of things to buy when I'm here full time."

"Fair enough. So what's the plan for tomorrow?"

"Well, we'll leave around 10 and drop by the two closest vineyards. I'd then like to meet the owner of this brewery," Dan said, waving the stubbie around, "to talk about supplying my cafe. Find some lunch, three more wineries in the afternoon, then back here for a bit."

"That's a big day. So, what's happening after we come back?"

"Make some notes, have a rest, then about six we head off towards Rutherglen for dinner. There's a winery with a highly regarded restaurant I've really wanted to visit, and well, having you here is a great excuse to check it out."

Miriam slowly nodded. "Ok sounds good. What do you want me to wear? Remembering I don't have a lot with me."

"Just casual through the day, and maybe that cream dress for dinner?"

"Ok. I'd better hang it up to air." Miriam sighed deeply. "What a week. Glad it's over."

"Yeah. I won't pretend I know what you're going through with him, but it's been a bit of a roller coaster."

"Yup."

The sun flared through the open doors before it dropped behind the hills. The slight breeze continued, and the various birds called goodnight to each other. Dan glanced sideways and smiled. Miriam had closed her eyes and appeared to have dropped off to sleep.

Sensing his stare, she opened one eye. "I'm still awake. Just trying to calm everything down."

"Fair enough. I was thinking about cleaning up, but I didn't want to disturb you."

"Of all the people I've dealt with this week, you aren't the disturbing one. I'll give you a hand."

"No, it's fine. The rule of our house is whoever cooks, doesn't clean up. I think it's a good one to live by."

"Not a bad rule at all. I don't have a problem with that. Well," Miriam said as she stood, "I think I might go for a walk. I'm... Still thinking about things."

"Sure. Just take your phone in case a drop bear attacks." Dan was happy to see a smile break out of the gloom.

"Save your bullshit for the American tourists, but ok. Tripping in a rabbit hole is possible."

===

Dan closed his laptop when he heard the lift starting to hum. Contrary to what he said to Miriam, dinner was the only thing he had thought about. He had some ideas about places to visit, so he was happy to have the chance to firm up a plan. The thing he had noticed was how many places had moved their tasting rooms to bookings only over the COVID lockdown. It was going to be competitive, but he was certain he could find a market and hold on to it. He had an idea to replace a few acres of young but average Shiraz vines with Italian varieties. A Glera variety looked promising, with the resultant Prosecco having good local sales and export potential.

"How's things?" he asked Miriam as she stepped out of the lift.

"Not too bad. It's nice out there. Just a slight breeze going through the vines and the moon lighting things up. I nearly chucked my phone away when a spam message popped up, but I just turned the sound off."

"Probably the best option. Can I get you anything?"

"No, thanks." Miriam looked at her phone. "Huh. Didn't realise I'd been gone for nearly two hours. I'll go and get my airbed. It's your turn to finally get to sleep in your bed."

Dan shook his head. "No, all my stuff's here. It's all good."

"But..."

"No buts. My place, you're my guest. I insist."

"No changing your mind, is there?"

"Nope."

"How about this then? We're both responsible adults."

"I'd like to think so."

"It's a king sized bed."

"Yes, that is true."

"We should share it. It's basically two singles in size so we won't be rolling onto, err, into each other."

Dan scratched his head and shrugged. "Well, that's your call, but I'm ok with that if you are. I've been sleeping in shorts and a tee, and I don't think I snore so yeah, no worries."

"Good," said Miriam. "Same here. Glad that's settled."

===

Dan slowly opened an eye, which was strange. Normally he slept through the night, but something had woken him up. Something was different. Pushing the haze away he realised there was an arm draped over his stomach and a body pressed against his back. He started to smile, but that faded when he realised Miriam was quietly snuffling. Gently placing a hand on hers, he drifted back to sleep.

===

Miriam slowly opened an eye and glared at the curtains which hadn't been completely closed, allowing a bright beam of light to sneak in and slap her in the face. Something else was different. Pushing the haze away she realised there was an arm draped over her stomach and a hand cupping her boob. Dan was spooned in tight against her body and was rhythmically breathing, obviously sound asleep. She smiled and gently placed a hand on his, then drifted back to sleep.

===

Dan yawned and stretched, the sound of light rain whispering in his ears. No, not rain. He opened his eyes and concentrated. Shower. It was a shower. It was the shower. He sat up and looked around.

'It's Miriam in the shower, doofus. She's not in bed, the shower is running, therefore that's where she is.'

'Ok, ok. I haven't had my first coffee, and this is a novel experience,' he told his subconscious. 'Aly is usually the one sleeping in when we're together.'

"Morning Miriam," he called, "Coffee and a cheese omelette for breakfast?"

The shower stopped, and Dan heard the rustle of a towel. The door opened and she poked her head out. "Good morning Dan. Sorry, I didn't hear anything much besides breakfast. I'm happy with anything."

"Righto then. I'll see you downstairs in about fifteen minutes." He visited the office loo and bounced down the stairs. He was certain today was going to be a great day. Although it was theoretically about work, he was looking forward to being with Miriam. It was amazing how much a flash of her bare wet shoulder excited his imagination and made the day great already. He hummed while he quickly got things ready - espresso machine on, coffee beans freshly ground, eggs beaten, everything laid out ready to go.

"Freshly ground coffee. Such a distinctive smell."

"True. Nothing quite like it." Dan turned and smiled at Miriam who was leaning on the rail at the top of the stairs. "You look pretty refreshed. Did you have a good sleep?"

"Tossed and turned for a bit, but then I seemed to have found myself in a nice comfy spot. The sun woke me up pretty early - remind me to make some adjustments to the curtains, but it was all good. I didn't mind at all. Eventually I had to get up, so I had a shower as well."

"Good to hear." Dan waited until the hiss of steam hitting the milk subsided, and the water pumping through the beans stopped. "Latte ok?"

"Wonderful. I don't have the patience to do that in the morning. Need a hand with anything?" she asked as she skipped down the stairs.

"Nah, all good. Eggs are nearly done." Dan said, handing Miriam a mug.

"Thanks. Is what I'm wearing ok for your covert operation? I thought a nice pair of jeans and a casual shirt would be suitable."

"Yep. You look great." He slid the eggs onto the plates and sat opposite her. "Should be a fun day."

"Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I haven't been out with someone else for what? Nearly two years."

"Seriously? That's pretty rough. Lockdowns weren't quite so bad at home." He shook his head. "Need to stop saying that. This is my home now."

"Oh? I thought this was just a short stay spot."

"It was, originally. Over the last couple of days I'm been thinking that I'll spend most of my time here, and less time up north. This is my property and I don't want to be away for weeks on end. Dad has good backup. He doesn't need me. And before you ask, you can stay in the office as long as you need."

===

Miriam hooked her arm through Dan's as they crunched their way up the gravel path. "So why this restaurant for dinner? It's a lovely spot though," she commented, looking around at the grapevines and gum trees. "Very peaceful. Not like some of those other vineyards we visited. Can't believe how many people are around."

"Guess they all wanted to get out of town in case there was another snap lockdown. This place, though, has a national food guide award and they aim to only use local produce. Plus," he said, "their new chef used to manage a top French restaurant in Newcastle. Only went once, and it was brilliant. I'm very interested to see what she makes here."

"Mmm, sounds great." She cast a critical eye over the building. "Probably 1880s pressed red brick barn, newish corrugated iron extension. Keeping the old timber doors but using sliding glass behind them is a nice touch. Looks like they put a lot of thought into the look, but then using cement blocks to hold the wooden doors open? Fail."

"We make a fine pair." Dan laughed, "You with the architecture, and me trying to guess what varieties they have over there."

Miriam smiled and patted his hand. "Having a look at interesting architecture is a habit. It's theoretically a work trip, so a sneaky peek is allowed."

"I reckon it's the best way to figure out what works. There were a few ideas I saw today that I'm going to steal." Dan squeezed her hand and shrugged. "Anyway, enough of that. We're here for the dinner and wine."

A waitress showed them to their table and explained a bit about the winery and the chef's philosophy before handing them the menu. Miriam glanced around, quickly assessing the interior. "This is nice. Understated, quality materials. The panelling on the ceiling is a great idea for noise attenuation. Do they have bands in here?"

Dan looked up from the menu. "They hold weddings and other events, and tonight they've got a singer with a guitarist. That open area would be the dance floor."

Miriam looked over her shoulder at the spot. "Polished concrete. Tricky to get right. Too easy to have it so slippery, you'd go down with any dampness."

"True. We can test it later, if you like? Purely for research purposes, you know."

"See what happens. I haven't danced for a long time. Anyway, this menu looks great. What are you thinking of?"

Dan held up his menu slightly and bit his bottom lip. Images of Miriam in the same cream dress heading up the staircase floated back and did not want to go away. "Umm, would you be interested in sharing a Charcuterie with the rosè?

"I was thinking of that myself. Then the lamb, or maybe the duck."

"Great. I'm going for the sirloin. I had a similar one Chef prepared up north, and it was fantastic."

The waitress appeared back to take their order, asking if they'd like the wines suggested by the chef to be presented with their meals.

"Yes please," said Dan. "I can't think of a better person to make the choice."

The waitress beamed. "Trust me, the choices are a perfect match. I'll be back soon."

"So what wine goes well with pizza?" asked Miriam.

Dan shrugged. "Depends on the toppings, but beer always works. What they're doing here is a good idea but I won't do this all the time. I'm thinking of hosting a night once a month, just to see what the response is."

"Sound plan." She smiled up at the waitress with the wine and the server who quickly slid the plate of cured meats onto the table. "Thanks. Looks great."

The meal breezed by. The meats and patè were tasty, the lamb succulent and the beef exquisite.

"Would you like a bit of my steak?" asked Dan. "The way you've been looking at it, I'm expecting you to leap over the table and grab it."

"Well, I wouldn't mind. It looks so nice. Tell you what, would you like a piece of lamb in exchange?"

"Sure thing." He sliced a piece of beef and held the fork out to Miriam, who did the same. "You know this is a couples sort of thing, sharing bits of dinner."

Miriam shrugged. "Maybe. The only food I shared with Dale was a bowl of chips. He was very possessive about his steak." She picked the morsel off the fork and rolled her eyes. "Oh, that is so good."

"Isn't it? The lamb is perfect too."

"Mmm, yeah. The whole day has been perfect. Thank you."

"Ah, no worries. Seriously, I couldn't have done any of it without you."

They continued eating while the singer and her guitarist softly filled the old barn with song.

"She's very good," commented Miriam. "A nice mix of songs."

Dan set his knife and fork on the plate. "No, not bad at all. Would you like to test the concrete?"

Miriam smiled back. "I'd like that. It's been years since I've been dancing. I really miss it."

"Well, hopefully there's more in the future." Dan stood and held out his hand. "A couple of songs, then dessert?"

"I'm up for that. The ruby chocolate milk cake looks interesting." She lightly held his hand, and they paced to the empty dance floor.

Dan placed a hand on the small of her back. "Foxtrot?" he asked.

Miriam nodded, and they glided over the floor, letting the music guide them. The song finished and the singer immediately started a lovely rendition of 'It had to be you'. "You're a great dancer. Not a lot of guys are."

"Well, I've been to a lot of weddings over the years. Mum insisted we did ballroom dancing as kids to learn the basics. It's sort of expected that you dance with all your relatives and not step on their feet." He whirled the pair in a tight circle and led them off the floor.

"Wow. I'd forgotten how much of a workout dancing can be." Miriam plonked down in her seat and sipped her water. "And fun."

"Yep. I don't mind dancing, as long as it's with someone not trying to pinch my cheeks and telling me what a big boy I am. That's embarrassing." Dan turned to the waitress who appeared by his side and placed their order. "Geez, the staff are good, aren't they?"

"Sure are." Miriam leaned back in her seat and sighed contentedly. "So you're definitely leaving in the morning? That's a shame."

"Why's that?"

"It's been a lot of fun with you around. And," she leaned forward and held his hand, "I suspect you've only hung around to keep me company. You didn't have to, but thanks."

"Ah, no worries. That's partially true, but I did want to do some investigations. And look around. No singles here. I would have stood out like a sore thumb."

Their desserts materialised in front of them. Miriam chuckled. "No wonder they've won awards. Their staff is as good as the food."

They slowly nibbled at their dessert, neither seeming to want the evening to end. They chatted about the restaurant, the day, the weather. Anything but the warm sensation they felt as they floated over the dance floor, sensing the growing attraction between them. It was a strange feeling for both. Dan had been shoved by his family into the arms of a woman he thought was ok, and Miriam had been swept up in the illusion of love, then dumped under a wave of disappointment. She thought Dan was lucky. He knew his partnership was a sham from day one.

"Another dance?" Miriam asked, as the singer started on her version of 'Never Tear Us Apart'.

"Sure. For a rock ballad, it sounds like a waltz. Michael Hutchence could really sing anything." He led Miriam out, pulling her slightly closer than before. She responded by moving closer again so there was barely a space between.

They were the only couple on the floor. Even if it had been crowded, to them, they would still be the only couple. Their moves were coordinated, flowing like two streams intermingling and becoming more with the joining. The singer watched them and smiled as she used her harmonica to cover the original song's saxophone solo. She'd seen a lot of dancing and could tell when two people were falling in love. They had arrived as friends, but she knew they would leave in love. She finished the song with another short harmonica solo and muttered to the guitarist. They had a playlist prepared, but she didn't want to let these two off the floor just yet.

"Now something slower from the TV show, 'Northern Exposure'." She picked up her harmonica and after a short intro sang...

When

I grow

Too old to dream

I will have you

To remember

When

I grow too old to dream

Your love

Will live

In my heart

Miriam sighed deeply and rested her head on Dan's chest. "Just slow please."

"Ok." He put his arms around her and gently hugged. They rocked in one spot, Miriam seeming to be lost in a memory. When the song finished, he gently lifted her chin. "Hello? You there?"

"Sorry, yeah. Just thinking about some old stuff. Can we sit please?"

"Sure." He led Miriam back to the table. "It's been a long day. Would you like a coffee here, or should we make a move?"

Miriam looked up from her fingernail examination. "Oh, ah. Umm, I'm ok to have something at home... Sorry. Your place."

Dan reached across the table and held her hands. "Don't be sorry. You've been living there on and off for over a year. It's as much your place as mine. Actually, more." He stood and kissed her hand. "Back in a sec. I'll pay the bill and have a quick chat with the band. I like them, even with the mouth organ."

Miriam gave out a little chuckle. "She's good with it. Subbing it for a sax and a violin is no mean feat." She watched Dan walk around the floor to the singer and slipped her what looked like a fifty, then to the bar and settled the bill after a chat with their waitress. He looked so relaxed. No matter where he was, he fitted in. He could talk to anyone, just a naturally sociable guy. Not like Dale, who always thought of himself as the boss. Looking back, she didn't know what she ever saw in the controlling prick.

"Ok, all sorted. Ready to go?"

"Hmm? Oh, yeah. No worries. All good." Miriam returned the wave the singer gave them and thanked the waitress who saw them out. She took a deep breath of the crisp night air and slowly exhaled. "That was the best day I've had in ages, Dan. Thanks again."

"Not a problem, but please, you don't need to keep thanking me." He opened the car door and bowed slightly. "It was a team effort."

"Fair enough. I'll add it to my list of variations for the account."

"We'll discuss that later. I'm sure we can reach an amicable solution." He backed his car out and turned towards home. After about twenty minutes he asked the question that had been nagging him. "You seemed to really like that last song. Is it special?"

Miriam looked out the side window and started to shake her head, then stopped. "Yeah, sort of, I guess. It's something I wanted for our wedding dance. After the craziness of the wedding buildup, I was looking for a nice, slow song to dance to with my new husband."

"Oh. I'm guessing he had something different planned. So, what happened?"

"He badgered me into going with a bloody waltz. The Blue Danube. How fucking original, seriously. 'It's a family tradition' he said. I caved. Every decision about our wedding turned out to be a compromise in his favour. I didn't want any more 'discussions' about the way it was going to be. Thinking back, everything we discussed always went his way. Ah well, shit happens. I suppose I can be happy there's no kids involved. That was on the plan, but he needed to be in the same country for that to work, and when this all blew up and he was here, nothing happened. Now I know why. He was planning an exit."

Rustyoznail
Rustyoznail
426 Followers