Liliah Willowmist Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I remember him telling me that i had nothing to be afraid of, and...asking me if i would like to wear the collar, and I told him yes, not knowing it wasn't jewelry. Once he had it around my neck he told me that the green crest was a sort of magic, and it would mean I would always be safe anywhere his name was known. Then he passed me off to one of his servants to be bathed, had me dressed in the finest gown i had ever seen and fed me more that night than I had eaten in the previous four combined. I remember going to bed that night, not knowing what was going to happen, but for the first time I could remember, I was warm, and my belly was full and I wasn't sleeping on the ground." she smiled again, a look of sadness passing across her eyes as she cleared her throat saying softly,

"It is good that i should return to him to have the collar removed" She glanced up at Corellion giving him a strange look as though trying to see the world from his eyes "I can imagine it must be difficult to understand why i would feel that way, but I owe that mer a great deal, and he will always have my respect."

Corellion gave her a gentle smile, realizing that Lord Hlaalu had likely taken the child in as he did more as a kindness than for any real reasons of wishing to own her as property, and found himself feeling less harshly towards the Dunmer and his daughter, especially after hearing how the man had soothed a small scared child's fears, even though nothing but honor and decency demanded he do so. "Perhaps not so very difficult to understand, and it eases my mind to know that you were treated kindly in such a terrible situation. We will go and visit Lord Hlaalu first thing in the morning, so that your collar may be removed and you can retrieve any belongings you have."

Liliah gave him a beaming smile, "I would like that" she said, turning up one of the walkways and approaching a building with an Inn sign "This is the place i mentioned," she said gesturing to the door, "The owner of the establishment is a greedy, handsy little lecher, but its is the finest in town, with individual rooms and tubs in each one." Corellion raised an eyebrow at her assessment of the innkeeper, giving a sardonic grin "So your typical charming Dunmer fellow?" causing Liliah to tut at him and gently chide, "That...is incredibly racist..." glancing up at him with a mildly scolding look, the effect ruined somewhat when she cracked a grin and added "even if it is true" causing them both to burst out laughing.

Deciding to forego manners in light of what she had said about the owner of the inn, Corellion stepped in front of her to go through the door first, pushing it open, a bell hanging above the door jangling merrily to announce their arrival. The Dunmer at the desk smiled at Corellion, looking at his fine robes and turning on the charm without missing a beat, a rather mercenary smile taking its place on his sharp beady eyed face. "Good evening Noble sir, will you be requiring a room for the night?"

Straightening to his full height, and hands held behind him in a pose of regal authority, Corellion nodded as Liliah cleared the doorway, stepping up close behind him, out of sight of the innkeeper.

"Quite so" Corellion said "And another for my travelling companion." The innkeeper gave a surprised look, attempting to peer around the massive Altmer to catch a glimpse of whomever had followed him in, but seeing no one, did not miss a beat switching gears, his greasy smile returning as he asked "And would that be two of our finest for you this evening sir?" Corellion could almost see the gold drakes flash in the Dunmer's eye and he chuffed softly "The finest you have for my companion, and the one beside it for myself" The innkeeper smiled, likely already mentally counting his gold as he set some finely embroidered towels on the counter that were pale gold in color with the Hlaalu crest embroidered on them in brilliantly dyed green silk thread.

As he set them on the counter, Corellion retrieved another purse of gold drakes, extracting coin to pay for their rooms, and Lilliah stepped up to the counter, avoiding eye contact with the innkeeper as she retrieved their towels, the Dunmer's eyes going a bit wide as he realized who had come in with the Altmer. "Hey...I know you, you're Korinne Hlaalu's little pet.." He said, leering at the girl with a lust filled look. Lili saw Corellian tense at the word 'pet' combined with the look on the Dunmer's face, and he bit out the reply "Her name is Lady Willowmist, and you will address her with proper respect in my presence. This young lady is no longer anyone's pet, not that she ever should have been." his eyes narrowing warningly at the much smaller innkeeper. Oblivious to the look of warning in Corellion's eyes, the Dunmer's eyes continued to sweep over the Bosmer, a delighted smile spreading across his face.

"Your mistress was a cunt little one" he snorted "Selfish bitch that Hlaalu woman, kept you all to herself, perhaps now that you find yourself freed, you would be more willing to share than she was" the Dunmer leerer at her licking his lips a little, then turned to Corellion with a derisive smirk and flashed him a conspiratorial wink "Seems you don't intend to.." Lilli gasped softly in alarm, stammering "N-no..Th-thank you" as she clutched the towels to her chest and backed away from the counter slightly, bumping into Corellion by mistake, feeling his hand close protectively around her shoulder as he positioned himself between her and the Innkeeper. Liliah could almost feel the air crackle with power as his hand shot out, catching the Dunmer by the throat, his eyes flashing with power as his voice lowered menacingly.

"I am weary, short tempered and in no humor for your lack of manners Innkeep. You will mind your tongue or I will see it removed." The Dunmer's eyes went wide with shock and he started stammering as the Altmer lifted him slightly off the floor by the throat, "I- I m-meant no insult sir!..I-I find her v-very a-attractive, that w-was all I meant! I swear!" as the Dunmer stammered, and Corellion felt a gentle touch on his forearm and glanced down to see Liliah looking up at him with a mixture of concern and confusion, shaking her head almost imperceptibly, and he felt his temper slip, the magicka glowing in his eyes extinguished suddenly. He gave the Dunmer an irritated scowl, setting him down and helping the terrified mer straighten his clothing slightly, looking at him with a contemptuous look of disgust and turning to march up the stairs without another word.

Liliah inclined her head slightly at the Innkeeper, murmuring softly in explanation "Apologies Vonion, he is from a distant land and does not know our customs." then she quickly followed Corellion up the stairs to their rooms, falling into step beside him and explaining softly ""He truly didn't intend any offense..It is not considered improper here to make ones desires known" she says with a shrug, trying to explain "I am..just not generally on the receiving end, as advances towards someone's...property is considered quite rude.."

Corellion chuffed, still clearly angered by the incident "The Aldmeri women of Alinor would strike a Mer in the face hard enough to make their head ring like a bell for daring utter a fraction of the crude distasteful filth I have heard since arriving at this Godsforsaken town." he seethed, then spitting out the word "Property," punctuating the word with an outraged snort.

Liliah giggled softly, tucking the towels under one arm as her other hand came to rest in the crook of Corellion's elbow, the sound of her almost musical laughter and the gentle touch at his elbow effectively defusing his temper, her cheerful mirth drawing a smile to his face and causing him to chuckle as well.

"I dare say he has learned his lesson" she laughed, "Did you see his face? You scared him so badly, I believe he may have soiled himself" she continued to giggle, highly amused, peering up at him with her golden eyes and the sort of smile one would share with a close friend as they told a secret, flashing a wink as she squeezed his arm gently "My hero" she murmured, causing him to flush slightly as he realized how his behavior must have seemed to her.

As they neared the end of the hall, Corellion stopped at the second to last door, turning the handle and pushing the door open, peering into the unlit room, announcing "Here we are, It is definitely no Shimmerene Inn room, but it will suffice. I will be in the room right next to this one should you need anything." Liliah peered into the dark empty room chewing her bottom lip nervously, glancing up at him as he waited for her to go in, flashing a slight and forced smile to cover her nervousness. After a few awkward moments passed, Corellion finally asked her "Is everything alright? Would you prefer the other room?"

Liliah gazed up at him, unsure the proper wording to use that would help him understand; She had spent almost her entire life as a handmaiden in service to Korinne Hlaalu, three steps off her heels following behind her while she attended classes, meals, balls and banquets, and when she went to the market to shop. As they had gotten older, she would also take the little handmaiden with her to business meetings where Liliah's sharp eyes and keen insights had given her mistress an undeniable and profitable edge in negotiations. She had spent the last two decades with Korinne, eating meals with her, bathing her and brushing her hair every night before bed, and sleeping on her bed at the foot of it. She did not even know for sure if they employed handmaidens in Alinor, but she was certain if they did, her situation was quite different in comparison. She didn't know how to tell him that she had utterly no clue what to do with herself without someone to take care of, or how crushingly alone she felt looking into that dark empty room, and she found herself suddenly hit with a wave of homesickness.

She met his eyes, then dropped into a low curtsy, clearing her throat and then asking in a soft and almost hopeful voice "Would you like for me to help you get settled in before you retire, Sir?"

Corellion raised his brows slightly, surprised by the odd question, and replied "Er...settled in? I only have the one bag, and usually I don't unpack much of it if I am only staying overnight.."his voice trailed off when he saw her suddenly grin as though he had said something amusing, only to have her ask him,

"Have...you ever had a handmaiden before, Sir?" she glanced up at him, her golden eyes meeting his. Corellion shook his head slowly, "No, I confess that I have not..."

She shifted awkwardly on her feet looking a bit uncomfortable as she tried to explain "As your personal attendant, my duties would include laying out your clothing, sending dirty things to be laundered, fetching your meals, drawing your baths, washing and brushing your hair, turning down your bed, and changing the linens, helping you dress and undress and other chores as needed." she paused as she finished listing her usual chores, seeing the expression on his face and dropping her head slightly, her cheeks turning red "I...I know you were hoping for a housekeeper" she said softly "But this is what I am trained to do...It is the only thing I know..." she peered up at him with an apologetic look, shrugging one shoulder, and saying in a low voice "It might not yet be too late to reclaim your purse.."

Corellion gave her a stunned look upon hearing that she thought he may send her back to that ghastly Dunmer woman. "I have no intention of returning you to that horrid establishment to sit on the floor in chains, on this point I am afraid I am rather unwilling to compromise. But we may have to change some of your chores, as helping me dress and undress would be highly improper," he said, clearing his throat in mild embarrassment at the thought and arching one of his angular brows.

She giggled softly giving a bow of her head "Of course, sir. My services are completely at your discretion and for your comfort, Lady Hlaalu had many occasions when she would have me avert my gaze as I attended to her. Even times, she would opt to dress and undress herself, particularly while entertaining gentlemen who came to call" her face saddened a bit and her eyes grew distant, the look fading and her gentle smile returning as the memories faded and her golden eyes met his once more.

"Most times I was quite happy there... serving Korinne, even if occasionally my chains felt unbearable... I would enjoy being able to continue to serve in such a way ..of my own will... i-if you would allow it Sir." her voice cracked slightly as her gaze dropped to the floor, and Corellion barely made out her next words for how softly she spoke them.

"P-please...Everything I know is gone, and while it may be all be for the best...At the moment, I am..scared..more alone than I have ever been and... more than a little homesick, strange as it might sound..." she forced a weak smile, blinking as her eyes clouded, her gaze dropping to the floor as she awaited his response.

Corellion stood just staring at her, too stunned to reply at first. He was learning more and more about her that was surprising to him, and hearing her speak of the life she had left behind had momentarily skewed what had always seemed to him the distinct line between right and wrong. He had thought he was rescuing an enslaved mer from a cruel and abusive mistress whom had exploited her, but now he wasn't so sure. As he looked down at her, he saw her for the first time as perhaps Korinne Hlaalu might have.

Not as property, nor even a pet, but as a confidant, and one whose care and tending would always be waiting at the end of every day. She was sharp minded, with a quick and sometimes cheeky sense of humor. She was well spoken and carried herself, not with the usual timidity he had seen of most slaves, but with the grace and confidence of one who was high born. Corellion sighed heavily, fearing he had made a mistake...He had not liberated an abused slave from Lady Hlaalu..he had stolen away a girl that was not only her personal servant, but in all likelihood a dear friend whom was nearly thought of as a sister. A girl who truly had everything...except freedom. He reached gently down, turning her face up to meet his eyes.

"I fear in trying to do the right thing, I may have caused consequences I did not foresee. I wished you free, not fully comprehending what I was freeing you from...and now, I feel responsible for what you have lost in gaining that freedom." He said somberly looking into her eyes with the soft apologetic look of a Mer who had blundered not knowing any better, but was trying to learn. He cleared his throat awkwardly giving a stern nod as he continued,

"I am unaccustomed to having anyone tend me in such a way, but I am willing to work past my discomfort if this is what you wish of me. I wish nothing more dear child, than for you to find happiness, and have the freedom to pursue it. If that means allowing you to continue as a handmaiden in my service, then so be it. We can agree on a list of duties you are to perform and ample wages appropriate for the work you do." As Corellion spoke he watched her expression transform from despair to hope, then to a brilliant smile of gratitude mixed with relief and she dropped into a low curtsy.

"Thank you, Sir. I will do my utmost to make it an easy transition for you, though it will take me some time to get to know your personal requirements. I know that in time you will grow comfortable and accustomed to my presence, and hope you are well pleased with my services." She gave him a respectful nod, then looked up again, staring awkwardly for a moment, giving him a slightly expectant look, finally prompting gently, "Would you like me to help you get settled in, sir?"

Corellion cleared his throat uncomfortably giving a slight nod "Yes, of course...Quite so." As he spoke, Liliah gave an obedient nod, her hand light on his arm as she steered him into the darkened room he had intended for her, pulling the door shut behind them, then setting the towels on the small table next to the tub. Turning back to him, she then held out her hand to take his travelling bag, setting it at the foot of the bed. Corellion handed the travelling bag to her, and resisted the urge to take it back from her as the tiny handmaiden grunted under the weight of the bag, instead, looking around the room , and using a thread of magic to ignite the lanterns in the room, filling the dark room with a welcoming warm glow. Liliah continued to circle the room, walking over to the tub, and starting the water to fill it, a soft plunking splash sounding as she added the enchanted Balmora Bath Stones to the tub to heat the water and the fragrant scent of perfumed bath oils filling the air as the steam started to rise from the hot water. He could hear her humming softly as she went about her work, and couldn't help but smile to himself, some of his own nervousness and reluctance calmed by seeing her so at ease. Perhaps this would not be as awkward as he first feared.

As she prepared his bath, he went to his travelling bag and pulled out a few items, including his hairbrush and shaving kit, laying them out on the table near the water basin. Grabbing up the pitcher, he rounded the divider that sectioned off the tub from the rest of the room, filling it from the water that was running into the tub. Liliah looked up as he approached, giving him a soft smile, running her hand through the water to test the temperature, then turning off the water and rising to her feet, following him back around the divider as he poured the water into the basin, heating it magically with a pass of his hand. Her soft voice behind him startled him slightly as she spoke, asking him, "Would you like a shave before your bath Sir?"

He raised his brows turning to look back, and nodded with mild surprise "Oh..., yes actually...part of my own habits I suppose," he gave her a kind smile, and she proceeded to smile and bow her head as though he had just given an order, moving to the stand and picking up the shaving kit. Putting a small amount of hot water into the container with his shaving soap as though she had done so thousands of times before, she used the brush to work up a rich lather then turned around to smile at him gently with it in her hands as he stood there with his mouth hanging open slightly. Realizing she was waiting for him to sit down, he flushed a bit, hastily taking a seat on a nearby stool. Seeing his discomfort and awkwardness she smiled reassuringly and asked in her soft melodic voice "Would it reassure you at all to know I have done this for Lord Hlaalu dozens of times, and have never nicked him once?" She tilted her head giving him an appealing look, and flashing one of her friends-sharing-a-secret smiles.

Corellion found himself returning her easy smile and saying "Yes, a bit.", as his awkwardness faded in the face of her demeanor as she went about the task of draping the towel around his neck, and proceeded to apply the lather to his face in a series of carefully applied, efficient passes of the brush. While he might be in completely foreign territory having a handmaiden serving him, her attitude was professional, and her touch was one of a practiced hand, and he found himself relaxing in her company, even as she opened his straight razor and began to carefully shave the two days scruff of beard that had grown on his face. She didn't speak as she shaved him, but finished quickly , using the towel to wipe the last of the lather gently away, returning it and the razor to the stand then returning with a small hand mirror, holding it up so that he could inspect her work with a distinct look of pride in her charming smile.