All Comments on 'Lincoln's Speech Writers'

by Just_Words

Sort by:
  • 28 Comments
johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 2 years ago

It still brings goosebumps and tears. Thank you.

MattblackUKMattblackUKalmost 2 years ago

That, or something pretty much like it, probably happened. After all, what became known as The Gettysburg Address was not well-received by some at the time. However time proved the detractors wrong.

GriscomGriscomalmost 2 years ago

He was suffering from smallpox when he wrote it, too.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A speech that should be read and actioned throughout the remaining free world.

My own state government of Western Australia is maintaining a state of emergency 2 1/2 years on.

That means they are outside the rule of law .

A dictatorship.

God help us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

If Lincoln could have benefitted from a writer perhaps it could have been someone with just such words!

Thank you for an inspiring and timely story. 5 stars and fight on Ukrainian's.

somewhere east of Omaha

FredHuckFredHuckalmost 2 years ago

Well done!

We all need to Never loose sight of our forefathers vision and our Constitution, which is more than words, it is the fabric of our way of life!

5🌟s

Fred

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 2 years agoAuthor

To be fair, I cheated on this story. How can any little one-page story that includes The Gettysburg Address not be a success?! I think it was one of the monumental moments in the written English language. My heart-felt wishes go out to the people of Ukraine.

dardefdardefalmost 2 years ago

When the President was a leader!

BillandKateBillandKatealmost 2 years ago

Thanks. An excellent reminder of why we should teach our children all our history - not just our mistakes.

TnicollTnicollalmost 2 years ago

I’m confused, did anonymous think Just_Words wrote the Gettysburg Address? Good job J_W!

ChopinesqueChopinesquealmost 2 years ago

Well done. Very. I love the contrast of Lincoln's simple message with Everett, and with cynical, puffed-up, truthless, self-glorifying rantings we see so often today.

DSolomonDDSolomonDalmost 2 years ago

Thanks

Well done and timely.

Short. To the point. Written with love.

KRD19254KRD19254almost 2 years ago

JW, you may have dedicated your story to the Ukrainians, but this speech is more poignant today for 'We The People' than at any other time during our Union. With the USA faltering under immense political corruption from within AND the woe's facing all daily due to self-serving, greedy, and inept Congress/White House leadership our Union has begun to crumble, enabling the Great Reset; the NWO wants Rome to Burn, smoke has being seen.

\

+5*****, Hooyah Salutes... Vietnam Vet

PrfsrPrfsralmost 2 years ago

An “isle” is an island. A row between seats is an “aisle”.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

These were great words by a great man.

The called "Democrats of today are cut from the same cloth as their brothers in 1864. THEY wanted to end the war, let the south succeed, preserve slavery and destroy the union. They are still trying to do it today.

I sometimes think that America should experience what the Ukrainians are going through. It would give them a real life example of the cost of freedom.

Thank you for this timely and poignant story.

WillowghbyWillowghbyalmost 2 years ago
Some Additional Thoughts

President Lincoln was not a handsome man.

His voice was not sonorous like Mr. Everett.

The crowd was shocked at the brevity of Lincoln's speech, especially after two hours of "poetry" from Everett.

Newspapers belittled Lincoln's Address for weeks. At least until the message sank in and the brilliance of those remarks was revealed.

From backwoods bumpkin to the moral leader of a nation, always rising above the blatant corruption surrounding him and the Union's military efforts. (It does kind of compare to a small nation's favorite TV actor becoming President of Ukraine...)

Yet this is also the guy who's statues and other memorials are currently under attack - based on the fact that he owned a slave (given by his FIL, and legally freed a short time later.)

JW, feel free to write a similar vignette anytime - much appreciated.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 1 year ago

Thank you, JW. Sometimes we forget the good things about our country.

Слава Україні!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago
Brevity is the soul of wit

Shortly after they gave their addresses at the Gettysburg dedication Everett wrote to Lincoln: “I should be glad, if I could flatter myself that I came as near to the central idea of the occasion, in two hours, as you did in two minutes."

Of all the really good (and some truly cringeworthy) stories I have read on Lit, I never thought that we’d see one that included the best prose ever committed to paper in the English language.

Bravo to you for thought and execution! More should aspire to such achievement.

rick

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I'm in tears. Ypu are so right but now the Democratic, socialist left and their propaganda Media, have created a divide that I don't believe can be resolved.

I foresee only to possible, realistic outcomes. The destruction of the national fabric, it's history and CONSTITIUTION-such documents are an anthame to dictators-or a bloody civil war causing 30+++ million dead leaving a Nation utterly destroyed and helpless to resistance invasion from Mexico....which will come to a bloody halt when the Chinese inadequate and burry forever what used to becthe greatest Nation on earth. One that survived barely 250 years.

I'm 76 and am glad that I'll be dead before having to witness that.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year agoAuthor

@Anonymous - I'm sorry your view of the future is so bleak. I never intended for there to be any politics in this story. It was just a few words of respect and admiration for the heart and intellect of a great man.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

Gettysburg was the bloodiest battle ever fought on American soil. Most of the war was fought in mid Atlantic states and the south but Gettysburg wasn't the most northern land skirmish. That honor goes to St Albans, Vermont. The St Albans Raid was a bank heist by 21 confederate soldiers who intended to rob banks along the northern border. Their aim was both to steal currency to fund the war and trick the union into diverting troops to defend the border. 1 person died a couple more wounded. They did rob a bank and escape to Canada but that's about it.

Nothingman83Nothingman8311 months ago

There are five copies of the Gettysburg Address in the Lincoln Papers. He actually added the words "Under God" as he gave the speech. THANK YOU for not perpetuating the myth that he wrote the speech on the back of an envelope while riding to Gettysburg. He always polished his speeches to perfection and they ALWAYS reflected his beliefs, thoughts and feelings. He was, in fact, tired on the train ride, because he had a mild case of small pox. No other politician in 19th century America could have carried the nation through the war. Unfortunately, we do not have a Lincoln today. I think that, like Ancient Rome, we have used up our quota of actual leaders, and what we have left is struggling just to remain in power.

PS

The reason there is only one photo of Lincoln delivering his Address, is because the photographer figured that Lincoln would be good for at least and hour of talk, had been cleaning the lens on his camera, and only managed to get the top of Lincoln's head as he was sitting down.

Ocker53Ocker539 months ago

My prayers are with the Ukrainian too⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Indeed prayers and help for the Ukrainian people and nation are needed. We either stand up now as the free world and say no this will not happen and we will stop it or we don't and this will be the first step onto a descent into anarchy and wider conflict. BardnotBard

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust_Words@Just_Words
I suppose I write for many of the same reasons that others do. First, I am exorcising my demons. I use writing to explore my thoughts and emotions, sometimes embracing, and perhaps ridding myself of, my darker thoughts and sometimes finding happier themes to celebrate. It s...

SIMILAR Stories

Let Go 
4.7
1.6k
842
Sales Team 
4.83
3.9k
862
The Unicorn 
4.84
1.9k
621
Fortune 
4.73
995
403
More Stories